• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member
So I got it working (yay!) and injected 999 for a replay before Zero Time Dilemma comes out (yay!) but the game puts both screens on both the TV and the gamepad, and puts them both in such a way that they are tilted 90 degrees. (Boo!)

Is there maybe a super simple guide to tweaking the .json file to fix this?

If you're using the very first original free copy of Brain Training as a base then it will use that screen placement (and clicking the right stick will only swap the screens orientation). You'll need to delete the game and redownload it from the store (don't forget to temporarily remove your DNS settings or the store will be blocked) rip the new Brain Training, do the same process and it should work, just hit ZR and change the screen settings.

Kadin

What's the proper way to exit back to the Wii U Home menu while playing a DS game? Every time I hit the home button and choose 'Close', it hard locks at the white Wii U Menu screen.

RetroMG

Just press ZR and pick a new screen setting from the VC menu. The emulator has a lot of options built in and one of those should be more to your liking.

Edit: Ah yes, as the post after this says, you need to make sure you're not using the first version of Brain Training that went up for free. You need to grab the new one that's up if you haven't.

Oh. Thanks, I didn't realize it would be that easy. And no, I just bought Brain Age today, so it should be the new version. (And also the US version)

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, that is much better. Thanks!

televator

How do I get a DS game that I own on physical to work from scratch? I don't have a VC game to start off with. Okamiden is my favorite.

Chucker

How do I get a DS game that I own on physical to work from scratch? I don't have a VC game to start off with. Okamiden is my favorite.
You'll have to buy a DS game. Most people suggest Brain Age since its $7 instead of $10.
You can use a flash card to dump your DS game, or use other methods.

Wow really interesting developments on the DS & N64 VC!! I don't have a Wii U but these news are really appealing.

Can anyone try games like Perfect Dark, GoldenEye 007 or Conker on N64 to see if the run without issues (check stuff like rendered skybox,corona lights, camspy, no slowdown, etc.).

On the DS front, games like Dementium 1 or Metroid Prime Hunters would be good tests as well (check correct flashlight rendering, no glitches in models, etc)

Okay, so I had a question.

I changed my DNS to block updates. I understand that I can't access the eShop. I'm in no huge hurry to play DS or N64 games (I have so little time to play current games as is, I mostly want to wait and see how things develop, hopefully to level of the original Wii), but am I blocked from online functionality from playing games like Xenoblade (as normal) too or do I have to remove the custom DNS?

KingWool

Banned
Okay, so I had a question.

I changed my DNS to block updates. I understand that I can't access the eShop. I'm in no huge hurry to play DS or N64 games (I have so little time to play current games as is), but am I blocked from online functionality from playing games like Xenoblade (as normal) too or do I have to remove the custom DNS?

With that setting your Wii U is fully blocked from going online. You can also configure it on your router to block the Wii U update servers so you can access online / eshop just fine.

If Nintendo release a patch is there any temporary bypass of the update like you can do with PlayStation consoles? I fear it will be patched before I get back to my Wii U and can access the eShop.

AndrewPL

If Nintendo release a patch is there any temporary bypass of the update like you can do with PlayStation consoles? I fear it will be patched before I get back to my Wii U and can access the eShop.

I'm sure it wont be long before homebrew emulators are working if you miss it

KingWool

Banned
I for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to inject GBA / N64 games. Just goes to a blank screen when trying to load.

Dambrosi

Banned
With that setting your Wii U is fully blocked from going online. You can also configure it on your router to block the Wii U update servers so you can access online / eshop just fine.
How do you do this? This seems to be a much more preferable solution to update-blocking.

KingWool

Banned
How do you do this? This seems to be a much preferable solution to update-blocking.

Block by URL Filtering in your router settings

nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
cbvc.nintendo.net

Dambrosi

Banned
Block by URL Filtering in your router settings

nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
cbvc.nintendo.net
That should work to block 3DS updates too, right? Very useful!

Chucker

Figured out my save issue for my dumped games.
You have to load them up in loadiine at least once and have save data created, then overwrite it with your save folder from DDD.

hlhbk

Blocked the update servers in my router. Thanks for that tip.

Man it is taking forever to dump Xenoblade Chronicles X. I am using a wired connection and can usually transfer 100 MB a second over my home network. I guess its a limitation of the Ethernet adapter for the Wii U.

So to make sure I get this right I dump the game, then let the game load up so it collects any rpl files it needs. Is there anything else I need to do to finish the dump?

Siphorus

Blocked the update servers in my router. Thanks for that tip.

Man it is taking forever to dump Xenoblade Chronicles X. I am using a wired connection and can usually transfer 100 MB a second over my home network. I guess its a limitation of the Ethernet adapter for the Wii U.

So to make sure I get this right I dump the game, then let the game load up so it collects any rpl files it needs. Is there anything else I need to do to finish the dump?

Yea, you're limited by USB 2.0 on the WiiU, coupled with the disc drive that probably does about 10-20 megabytes a second, and that can take a long time for a 25gb game. (Which Xenoblade Chronicles X probably is).

flux1

Xenoblade Chronicles X is 23 gigs I think. I have it ripping as well at a rate of 825kb/s. Which gives a time of 8.1 hours to finish here.

hlhbk

Yea, you're limited by USB 2.0 on the WiiU, coupled with the disc drive that probably does about 10-20 megabytes a second, and that can take a long time for a 25gb game. (Which Xenoblade Chronicles X probably is).

Read up on it. The disc drive can transfer 25mb a secon on average, usb 2.0 can transfer up to 30 mb a second. Why is it only transferring everything at 1 MB a second when dumping?

Qwark

This is freaking awesome, amazing job guys. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I won't be able to play online if there's a manual update in the future. Not sure how I'll be able to hold myself away from online Splatoon.

Can you guys give any info on how this was discovered or how this actually works? Is the actual exploit in Mii Maker? If you can't share that info, that's cool too. Again, amazing job guys.

Chucker

What am I doing to change the N64 rom in something I've dumped?
Edit: Nevermind, looks like we're still working on it

Madao

i just did the basic setup and dumped my VC game to tweak settings and...

Ptmq9UT.png

regular VC

twqz4OB.png

edited VC (brightness 100 and 2x rendering)

man, those minimal tweaks make a world of difference.

i did notice some stuttering with 2x rendering. maybe they just wanted to avoid optimizing the emulator any further to keep constant fps and that's why they kept the rendering as base. i think they should have put the extra effort because, for the price they're asking, we deserve at least an option to toggle 2x rendering.

Madao

what the F...

i dumped OoT to have the data ready and, in the configuration folder, there's configuration settings for a lot of unreleased VC games. did anyone notice that?

weirdest of all, i spotted a config file for a 64DD game (Sim City 64)

could that mean 64DD games on Wii U VC at some point?

there's even config files for things like Banjo Tooie which is really weird, considering that can't be released on VC. maybe someone is pulling our leg...

edit:

omg. i removed the patches from the patches folder and OoT loaded with the original Mirror shield symbol. that's insane lol!!

XHNt6Vk.png

a bit hard to see but you can see the original Mirror Shield there.

this is not a rom inject/change because that hasn't been figured out yet.

Madao

DS hardware is 240p native resolution correct? So running the game @ 2x render on WiiU bumps it up to 480p.

no. it is 192p (256x192)

2x brings it to 512x384, which fits the window they provide when you align the screens like in the pics i posted (the config file has those numbers)

televator

no. it is 192p (256x192)

2x brings it to 512x384, which fits the window they provide when you align the screens like in the pics i posted (the config file has those numbers)

That is one hella weird resolution... Still I wonder if this fixes WiiU's scaling quirk on 240p. You know what I'm talking about.

Javier

what the F...

i dumped OoT to have the data ready and, in the configuration folder, there's configuration settings for a lot of unreleased VC games. did anyone notice that?

weirdest of all, i spotted a config file for a 64DD game (Sim City 64)

could that mean 64DD games on Wii U VC at some point?

there's even config files for things like Banjo Tooie which is really weird, considering that can't be released on VC. maybe someone is pulling our leg...
I honestly doubt we're getting any substantial additions to VC on Wii U. I think this is Nintendo setting things up for VC on NX.

But either way, exciting stuff!

Rich!

I honestly doubt we're getting any substantial additions to VC on Wii U. I think this is Nintendo setting things up for VC on NX.

But either way, exciting stuff!

nah, it just means they tested the emulator with as many n64 roms as they could - and left the config files lying around afterwards.

its useful, as the config file for banjo kazooie works great with the game

Qwark

edit:

omg. i removed the patches from the patches folder and OoT loaded with the original Mirror shield symbol. that's insane lol!!

XHNt6Vk.png

a bit hard to see but you can see the original Mirror Shield there.

this is not a rom inject/change because that hasn't been figured out yet.

What's the context of the Mirror Shield? Is it not like that in the actual game? Sorry, I don't understand what this means.

Edit: I see, thanks guys. Neat!

What's the context of the Mirror Shield? Is it not like that in the actual game? Sorry, I don't understand what this means.

The original Mirror Shield had a crescent moon design on it which looked very similar to the Islamic emblem. Same with the movable blocks. It was changed in later releases to that diamond shape.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
When playing a game via Loadiine, I get an error message if the Gamepad's battery dies while playing, and it won't go away until I plug the Gamepad in and turn it back on, even if I'm playing a game that's fully compatible with other controllers. Is this because I'm booting the game via Mii Maker (which requires the Gamepad to run)?

RetroMG

Messed around a bit more with this, and I'm having a ball.

Elite Beat Agents works, but I had some graphical glitches on the lower screen.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney works great, and even looks great to my surprise. (I didn't think blowing up those sprites would do them any favors.)

EDIT: Turning off 2x scaling fixed the issue with Elite Beat Agents. Works perfectly now.

Top Bottom