• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Mistle

Jocchan said:

ZKPJA.jpg

LUNA

For the technical guys on the forum:

For the most graphically advanced games desn't the fact that Wii U has to render everything twice (on TV and on the controller from a diferent angle - if the option is that) will have a great impact on performances?

I mean, doesn't the controller ask for a lot of calcultion power to offer the applications they are marketing?

Thanks and best regards

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

Nocebo

LUNA said:

For the most graphically advanced games desn't the fact that Wii U has to render everything twice (on TV and on the controller from a diferent angle - if the option is that) will have a great impact on performances?

I mean, doesn't the controller ask for a lot of calcultion power to offer the applications they are marketing?

Thanks and best regards
Why would you need to render stuff twice when you're streaming?

LUNA

I was not meaning when you are streaming, but when you are looking at different angles of the same situation pictured on the TV (rearview mirror, ...) or using different filters for the image (X-Ray, etc).

Thanks

ciccione

dankir said:
So is it really confirmed that you can only have 1 tablet as a controller on the Wii U? I would understand if that's only the case for streaming games so that you can play them on them directly off the controller.

But surely 2 people with controllers can sync it to up the same Wii U system right ? They have to have multiple players use their controllers as a secondary screen. Right?

Also can I just plug my Wii U into an electrical outlet and play the games on the controller? does it even have to be connected to a TV?
I think that the limit of 1:1 console:tablet is really a majornegative point. It kills a lot of potential as well local multiplayer, one of the best wii point. The Wii U will be only a strong single player console. The asymmetric local MP will be a nightmare in most families, where the two children will literally fight to use the video-controller: no one will want to use an old, insignificant wiimote. This will be a dramatic low point for this console.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
LUNA said:

Thanks and best regards

It's not rendering things twice, it's just streaming the video to the controller screen as it's both rendering it and outputting it to the TV.

I'm wondering they will think of doing DS and 3DS link ups to give more than 1 player a screen at once (assuming those work like GCN<>GBA where the GBA effectively ran a client which data was sent to/from controller port it won't tax the systems processer, which I assuming is what hold backs multiple tablets).

I suppose there is also having two systems and linking them up but given Nintendo hate LAN play these days (they liked it during Gamecube days...even if like less than 1/1000 people ever got to use it*t but Wii was well...BWii was demoed with LAN play but final release was WFC only)
*-Thanks to broadband internet not being widescpread and lack of content (2 PSOs, 1080, Kirby Air Ride, MKDD and that other game, Homefront was it?)

Now my question is sound. I assume it won't be full music comimng out of it. Would be kind of pointless to "free the TV" only to have the tablet be overly noisey.

Also it was interesting journalists actually got to look at the system a day early (like the Guradian) and there were no leaks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ushojax said:
It's not rendering things twice, it's just streaming the video to the controller screen as it's both rendering it and outputting it to the TV.

It is rendering twice, some of the demos let the controller see a different view of the game world to the TV as you move it.

And then you have the less intensive things like the Zelda demo, where touch controls can be displayed on the controller or it can be swapped so the TV picture is displayed on it instead.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LUNA said:
I was not meaning when you are streaming, but when you are looking at different angles of the same situation pictured on the TV (rearview mirror, ...) or using different filters for the image (X-Ray, etc).

Thanks
Yes, rendering a different image is taxing on the system.

Nocebo said:
Why would you need to render stuff twice when you're streaming?
Ushojax said:
The controller screen does not just show the same picture as the TV in all games.

DECK'ARD said:
It is rendering twice, some of the demos let the controller see a different view of the game world to the TV as you move it.
Some games render different view points wihich is more taxing, some just will put the exact same TV view, less taxing, and some will put HUDs or overlays which is minimal in terms of proccessing requirements.

So DECK'ARD, what do you think of my predictions in the Cafe thread now? :D

pestul said:
I would imagine so, but it might difficult depending on what accessories/controllers are required for a specific game.

I'm still miffed that it won't upscale Wii games.. I mean, why the fuck not? Hopefully its a feature they are able to add later on.
ONly reason you are getting backcomp. with Wii is because Nin tendo is trying to bridge Wii audience into this thing, if not for that, Nintendo would be more than happy to charge you for HD versions of already released games.

pestul

Mojojo said:
About retrocompatibility, will it be possible to play Wii games on the tablet?
I would imagine so, but it might difficult depending on what accessories/controllers are required for a specific game.

I'm still miffed that it won't upscale Wii games.. I mean, why the fuck not? Hopefully its a feature they are able to add later on.

pestul said:

Also miffed. I'm gleefully running Dolphin, and tinkering with it has shown that it is very easy to emulate and upscale Wii games - so easy some games almost seem like they were made with upscaling to 1080p in mind. Dolphin has been a complete Wii replacement for me.

Of course having two independent instances of a game running simultaneously would be taxing. Imagine having a dual-monitor PC setup, with the same game running twice on the same PC and on each monitor. This is a distinction from merely extending the play view as you can do now on PC.

That being said, this is day one for me, as I am very excited about this hardware. I predict this setup will usher in a more hardcore future for Nintendo fans by giving developers and hardcore gamers the HD hardware they always wanted.

Oppo

Does anyone know how the tablet controller is tracking it's position relative to the screen?

There's only the front camera, yes?

PortTwo said:
Does anyone know how the tablet controller is tracking it's position relative to the screen?

There's a sensor bar on the controller, it's not clear how exactly it works though. The videos of guys playing the pirate arrows game showed it works fine though.

Oppo

Green Scar said:
There's a sensor bar on the controller, it's not clear how exactly it works though. The videos of guys playing the pirate arrows game showed it works fine though.

I think it's an IR sensor, not a sensor bar - Graphics Horse linked this in the other thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkCIJGTe_U&t=3m13s

Basically the Wii Remote camera is on the back, just not obvious.. I was wondering. thanks.

birdchili

PortTwo said:

curious about this too. for something like the "block the plunger arrows" game, you need to have the ability to calibrate where the tv is now and then...

perhaps it "sees" the tv when you flick it down? seems an awkward solution.

birdchili said:
curious about this too. for something like the "block the plunger arrows" game, you need to have the ability to calibrate where the tv is now and then...

Or the simple answer is that it uses the gyro orientation to render the view on the fly and sends it to the controller.
Indyana said:
I think it has both of them. The sensor bar is around the camera and the IR camera is in the upside of the WiiUPad.
http://i.imgur.com/wDJkj.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kBXnJ.jpg

There are videos where you can see the IR camera better and the sensor bar in the WiiUPad seemed to be used to play golf in the video of the conference. And IIRC the original rumors said something about the controller having a sensor bar.

It "sees" the sensor bar and uses motion sensors like the Wiimote+.[/QUOTE]
What the hell are you signaling in the second picture? :O

Indyana

PortTwo said:
I think it's an IR sensor, not a sensor bar - Graphics Horse linked this in the other thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkCIJGTe_U&t=3m13s

Basically the Wii Remote camera is on the back, just not obvious.. I was wondering. thanks.
I think it has both of them. The sensor bar is around the camera and the IR camera is in the upside of the WiiUPad.
wDJkj.jpg

kBXnJ.jpg

There are videos where you can see the IR camera better and the sensor bar in the WiiUPad seemed to be used to play golf in the video of the conference. And IIRC the original rumors said something about the controller having a sensor bar.
birdchili said:

It "sees" the sensor bar and uses motion sensors like the Wiimote+.

Meohsix

I dont know if its been brought up yet, im sure it has.

A month or so ago there were rumors that Nintendo would be teaming up with an outside company to help with WiiU's online infrastructure.

and last week EA announced their steam like download service 'Origin'.
and then showed up on stage at nintendos E3 Conference talking about unprecedented partnerships...

So is it safe to assume EA's working on WiiU's online?

George said:
I dont know if its been brought up yet, im sure it has.

A month or so ago there were rumors that Nintendo would be teaming up with an outside company to help with WiiU's online infrastructure.

and last week EA announced their steam like download service 'Origin'.
and then showed up on stage at nintendos E3 Conference talking about unprecedented partnerships...

So is it safe to assume EA's working on WiiU's online?

Safe to assume but the other big guys like Ubisoft THQ and so on may not want to go through EA.

Maybe its the same tech with the EA backbone but Nintendo Branded
we will have to see too much politics involved in this to know for sure

SmokyDave said:
It's bound to have local multiplayer, but only one player gets the new toy. The rest get to keep using their old wiimotes.

Sounds a bit crap for players 2-4, to be honest.

I don't see why Classic controllers couldn't be used.

But all of the Nintendo PR and fact sheets sure go out of there way to not point out whether multiple classic controllers can be used along with the Wii-U controller.

nVidiot_Whore said:
I don't see why Classic controllers couldn't be used.

But all of the Nintendo PR and fact sheets sure go out of there way to not point out whether multiple classic controllers can be used along with the Wii-U controller.
Because it obvious you can use 4 classic controllers with it? This is not even worth to speculate about.

Refreshment.01 said:
Because it obvious you can use 4 classic controllers with it? This is not even worth to speculate about.

Well either way they are confusing the hell out of people.. either that or people are just forgetting about the existence of the classic controllers.

From their PR:

Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers.

So.. Wii Remote OR Wii Remote Plus.. no mention of other controllers.

Then again in the fact sheet:

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z4v97d.png

Up to four Wii Remote (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii controllers and input devices. *list of devices*

It's just really odd wording.. why not say up to four of any Wii controller or input device is supported? Why go out of their way to only mention Wii Remotes or Wii Remote pluses multiple times with the "up to four" quote but fail to mention what the limitation is for classic controllers?

Again, I'm with you.. as I said.. I don't see why it wouldn't.. but I also don't see why multiple PR statements fail to point it out.

As I said earlier in the thread I think it's just Nintendo trying to highlight this concept of using a Wii-U controller with Wii-motes for ultimate Nintendo innovation.. while failing to highlight that the system could be great for the popular multi-player games out there like Call of Duty, etc.

Confusion abounds either way.

Refreshment.01 said:
Even forgetting the screen, classic controllers are missing the motion, pointer, and microphone capabilities. They might have something else that's a stage between the Classic Controller and the Wii U "New Controller".
nVidiot_Whore said:
It's just really odd wording.. why not say up to four of any Wii controller or input device is supported? Why go out of their way to only mention Wii Remotes or Wii Remote pluses multiple times with the "up to four" quote but fail to mention what the limitation is for classic controllers?
Classic Controllers and Nunchuks are just Wii Remote accessories. There's no reason the limit would be different.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Classic Controllers are just a Wii Remote accessory. There's no reason its limit would be different.

Thanks.. I didn't know this. So the classic controller plugs into the Wii-mote?

That should settle it I guess.. so you'd need 3 Wii-Motes + 3 classic controllers + your Wii-U controller to play a 4-player split-screened dual analog style game?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Even forgetting the screen, classic controllers are missing the motion, pointer, and microphone capabilities. They might have something else that's a stage between the Classic Controller and the Wii U "New Controller".
I understand your point of view but i don't see that happening. Well in reality it sort of depends on how Nintendo proceeds. If NIntendo is willing to keep producing Wiiremotes and accesories, then there's no need to produce that middle ground controller you suggest, too much resources and optional inputs options. Too overwhelming.
nVidiot_Whore said:
That should settle it I guess.. so you'd need 3 Wii-Motes + 3 classic controllers + your Wii-U controller to play a 4-player split-screened dual analog style game?
You guys should consider something. The guy that likes hes dual analog in games is also more inclined to go online for its multiplayer needs, not so much into local stuff. Traditional games or to put it as an example, a FPS played in this console would only limit itself to allow 2 player local support. That's even the point of the "U" name.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
nVidiot_Whore said:
Thanks.. I didn't know this. So the classic controller plugs into the Wii-mote?

Yes to both. Classic controllers are Wiimote attachments just like the nunchuk, this is why they aren't listed.

Zarovitch said:
It would be great if they add a camera on the back of the controller for AR games.
Depending on the camera resolution you can still have your AR games. I presume there'll be a docking bay for the WII U controller. So seat it in the docking bay facing you and use the regular Wii remote to control the action.

Edit: Even better. Just one camera with the option to rotated inward or outward like many other devices. Don't know why Nintendo didn't do this.

Refreshment.01 said:
I understand your point of view but i don't see that happening. Well in reality it sort of depends on how Nintendo proceeds. If NIntendo is willing to keep producing Wiiremotes and accesories, then there's no need to produce that middle ground controller you suggest, too much resources and optional inputs options. Too overwhelming.
They've already replaced the Classic Controller with a new model once. They could do so again while leaving it something that still plugs into the Wii Remote and works for the old CC purposes.

Refreshment.01 said:
You guys should consider something. The guy that likes hes dual analog in games is also more inclined to go online for its multiplayer needs, not so much into local stuff.

Tons of multi-player fans are also into split-screen play.. both offline and online.

Almost every game I play in Halo Reach for instance has at least 1 person who is playing split-screen with a friend.

4 player split-screen is pretty popular as well.. especially amongst kids/teens/college students who are often hanging out while playing video games.

But it sounds like if you've got the hardware you can do "standard" gaming with 4 players anyways.. so it's sort of a moot point.

I think SOME people were hoping for 4 players all with big Wii-U controllers all able to do fancy stuff w/ screen, etc but a lot of people are also just wondering if regular dual-analog controllers can be used.. and that was just cleared up.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They've already replaced the Classic Controller with a new model once. They could do so again while leaving it something that still plugs into the Wii Remote and works for the old CC purposes.
Ah you got me thinking here Joshua :D What Nintendo should or could do is a shell where you slip the Wiiremote, so you got this cheap carcass but also use the Gyro, acceleromters and speakers of the wii remote device. If they do a classic controller with extra gyros, accelerometers that also plugs to the Wii controller it would be a waste.
nVidiot_Whore said:
Tons of multi-player fans are also into split-screen play.. both offline and online.

Almost every game I play in Halo Reach for instance has at least 1 person who is playing split-screen with a friend.

4 player split-screen is pretty popular as well.. especially amongst kids/teens/college students who are often hanging out while playing video games.

But it sounds like if you've got the hardware you can do "standard" gaming with 4 players anyways.. so it's sort of a moot point.

I think SOME people were hoping for 4 players all with big Wii-U controllers all able to do fancy stuff w/ screen, etc but a lot of people are also just wondering if regular dual-analog controllers can be used.. and that was just cleared up.
You didn't understand my post.

Taking your example. A guy playing Reach will do so online. Nowadays most guys in to FPS add an additional local player.

To recapitulate i was adressing this statement:
nVidiot_Whore said:
The guys that like dual analog will also prefer online play, instead of a local 4 spli screen for a shooter for example. Is a typical case not some sort unfailing scenario.

Refreshment.01 said:
You didn't understand my post.

Taking you example. A guy playing Reach will do so online. Nowadays most guys in to FPS add an additional local player.

What exactly is your point?

You think people will be excited to use the Wii-U controller and a 6" non-HD screen while their buddy is playing on the HDTV?

I'm confused.

Either way, people are into offline split-screen play.. which is why almost every game supports it.

I'm still honestly wondering what exactly your point is other than to incorrectly generalize "that guy" who plays FPS games.

I know people who spend most weekends playing 8-player Gears of War matches.. and don't even have internet at their house..

nVidiot_Whore said:
What exactly is your point?

You think people will be excited to use the Wii-U controller and a 6" non-HD screen while their buddy is playing on the HDTV?

I'm confused.

Either way, people are into offline split-screen play.. which is why almost every game supports it.

I'm still honestly wondering what exactly your point is other than to incorrectly generalize "that guy" who plays FPS games.

I know people who spend most weekends playing 8-player Gears of War matches.. and don't even have internet at their house..
nVidiot_Whore, you are generalizing way too much. Im kind of ashamed you think i can come up with such silly generalizations. None of the assumptions you are making of what i said ring true with me or are what im trying to comunicate. Doesn't matter is not something too important to debate. If you are curious just try to read the previous post to see if you understand what im saying.

Btw, im saying that in a friendly way. Not pissed here or anything is just that we aren't understanding each other but there are more intersting matters in which to invest our energies :D

Refreshment.01 said:
nVidiot_Whore, you are generalizing way too much. Im kind of ashamed you think i can come up with such silly generalizations. No of the assumptions you are making of what i said ring true with me or are what im trying to comunicate. Doesn't matter is not something too important to debate. If you are curious just try to read the previous post to see if you understand what im saying.

OK, so your point was to downplay the popularity of split-screen play, which I clearly understood.

My point was it's actually pretty popular.

You then told me that I missed your point.. I'm just going to move on.

Refreshment.01 said:
Btw, im saying that in a friendly way. Not pissed here or anything is just that we aren't understanding each other but there are more intersting matters in which to invest our energies :D

Agreed.. and I see what you are saying.. I just think you might be downplaying the amount of people who find split-screen gaming important. (or maybe I really am missing your point, lol)

Either way.. agree to move on, and not mad either ;)

nVidiot_Whore said:
OK, so your point was to downplay the popularity of split-screen play, which I clearly understood.
Cool you put it in a way that its easy to clarify, so i will bother to explain a part of what i tried to convey.

No i didn't say that at all. Split screen has its role and place. But nowadays the popularity of split screen changes with genre. In FPS for example, it's used and implemented by developers less and less, specially for more than 2 players. Local LAN is getting less love also. For the other aspects of my post i won't bother with any extra explanation.
Sammy Samusu said:
Michael Pachter: Guitar Hero coming to Wii U

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-interview-stream/715230

Explodes.
A DS port? :D Nintendo shoud've use WiiDS as a name instead of Wii U.

Mrbob

Reggie said we would get Wii U online information this week, any updates? After seeing some of the press conference I'm almost positive it is using EAs upcoming Origin service. Which is alright I guess but is a mistake when they should have went to Valve if they were going to outsource online.

birdchili

Indyana said:
It "sees" the sensor bar and uses motion sensors like the Wiimote+.
hadn't realized this thing had an ir camera as well... makes sense, i suppose (and guarantees that we'll get a sensor bar in-the-box with the new system).

the number of sensors on this thing is many.

Top Bottom