• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

Shaheed79 said:
A true 1080p Nintendo console with an awesome new controller?

You mean 1080p "capable" I highly doubt every game will support it let alone run native in it. Also I don't get the love for this controller, it looks bulky, uncomfortable and expensive and naturally prone to a level of damage that no other controller ever had to deal with (now I need to buy screen protectors for my controllers?). I am not sold on this at all right now, glad to see Nintendo finally getting current hardware but I need to see some real games for it, oh and this thing better not use DVD's.....

Thoraxes

TheBanditKing said:
You mean 1080p "capable" I highly doubt every game will support it let alone run native in it. Also I don't get the love for this controller, it looks bulky, uncomfortable and expensive and naturally prone to a level of damage that no other controller ever had to deal with (now I need to buy screen protectors for my controllers?). I am not sold on this at all right now, glad to see Nintendo finally getting current hardware but I need to see some real games for it, oh and this thing better not use DVD's.....
It uses a proprietary (so far single-layered) DVD based disc format that holds up to 25 GB of data, the same amount as a single-layered BD. It's cheaper to make and use your own disc than to license something.

Scoops

Banned
Here's what I've compiled:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassin's Creed TBA
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield TBA
Darksiders 2
Dirt TBA
The Legend of Zelda
LEGO City Stories
Metro Last Light
New Super Mario Mii
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Pikmin 3
Rabbids TBA
Tekken TBA
Tom Clancy Online
Ubisoft FPS TBA
Ubisoft Multi-Sport Game TBA

Tenck said:
Anyone know who's helping Nintendo with Online infrastructure?

No, but we're supposed to learn more about their online plans this week. I'm hoping they say something tonight at the roundtable.

mhayze

Has anyone noticed where the kickstand is on the Wii U controller? There were a couple of videos that showed the controller "standing" on it's own on a table, while you have the Wii Motion controller + nunchuck in your hand. I don't see a retractable kickstand anywhere. Ditto with the stylus, I assume that docks somewhere in the controller?

I find it strange that the handsome PS3 slim received so much backlash for its design, yet this this cheap set top box looking thing gets nothing.

TheBanditKing said:
Also I don't get the love for this controller, it looks bulky, uncomfortable and expensive and naturally prone to a level of damage that no other controller ever had to deal with (now I need to buy screen protectors for my controllers?).
No worries Bandit, just go check some videos with impresions. The controller is really confortable and light weight. Saw some guys with medium sized hands holding the controller with just one hand while operating the touch screen. So i was impressed how Nintendo could make a controller this big so easy to manipulate.

However ,as concept, clever or innovative as the Wii this isn't. Also the hardware on this thing won't hold Nintendo for a normal lasting generation, that is, 4-5 years withouth looking outdated. But this time downgraded ports from the next generation platforms from competitors will be more easy to achieve. Most admit im just going by gut feeling, but at this stage in time and at 45nm there's not so much hardware punch you can pack in case of the current size of the Wii U. More powerful than a PS3 or XBOX360? definitly. But no substantially so.

Also my impression is that they are just sampling units withouth functional hardware or not the final ones. Nintendo its playing zero enfasis on the console.

Indyana

Scoops said:

Assassin's Creed TBA
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield TBA
Darksiders 2
Dirt TBA
The Legend of Zelda
LEGO City Stories
Metro Last Light
New Super Mario Mii
Pikmin 3
Rabbids TBA
Super Smash Bros
Tekken TBA
Tom Clancy Online
Ubisoft FPS TBA
Wii Sports HD
Wii Fit HD
And lots of ports.
GitarooMan said:
I apologized if this has been answered, but how about Gamecube compatibility, do we know about that yet?
No NGC backwards compatibility. They can add some NGC games to VC, but the console won't read NGC discs and won't have the option to connect NGC controllers or memory cards.

All of this good news and not a single hint of a new F-Zero game? It's only been EIGHT years since the last one! I like Mario Kart and all, but I imagine I'm not alone in hoping a new one gets announced for the Wii U.

TAS

It uses a proprietary (so far single-layered) DVD based disc format that holds up to 25 GB of data, the same amount as a single-layered BD.

Where did they mention this? First time I'm hearing it.

Edit: I see..confirmed by Kotaku. Not surprising that Nintendo is going the proprietary route.

Sullichin

KingOfReading said:
All of this good news and not a single hint of a new F-Zero game? It's only been EIGHT years since the last one! I like Mario Kart and all, but I imagine I'm not alone in hoping a new one gets announced for the Wii U.

nintendo needs this and a 2d metroid.

RedSwirl

Real? Posted already?

16krosz.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
Destructoid, Joystiq are reporting this MTV Multiplayer story.

According to Ubisoft producer, Adrian Blunt, the days of friend codes are numbered.

Blunt was on hand at E3, demonstrating "Ghost Recon Online" for the Wii U. The game is definitely focused on the multiplayer experience, so I asked him why he thought the Wii U would be a good fit, since Nintendo consoles traditionally aren't very online capable.

There's a few things on that. The first is the ability for individuals to make accounts. Rather than a machine having an account, each individual user has an account."

So I asked him, "Equivilent to a gamertag on Xbox Live?" "Yeah, exactly," he said.

He continued, saying that friend codes are no longer required for adding friends:

"Also the ability to easily find friends. Rather than using friend codes, which we've had in the past, we're able to connect players in a much easier way, which allows us to have a community that's playing together in the game."

Blunt wasn't willing to get more specific about the Wii U's online functionality,

However at the Nintendo event just now when asked by press if there is a one online profile across the system Ubisoft said they would like that, but it's up to Nintendo.

Sounds like either Ubisoft knows and accidentally let it out beforehand, or Nintendo hasn't figured it out yet and the guy was just talking about how Ghost Recon will have it's own online setup with easier to remember names instead of codes.

My interest has piqued for nintendo with the WiiU. The only Nintendo console I've ever owned is a GBA but this seems like a very good development.

It's not unique by any stretch of the imagination, moving information from a game onto another screen has been around for years. But again Nintendo are at the right time and right place to implement it well, with a motion controller and integrated touch screen.

If they sort out online capabilities and show off a few more unique experiences I'll be there.

For my use, I think WiiU will really shine when they show the "screen controller" being shared for 2 player gaming: players use wii controllers and the "screen controller" is used separately as a device to help you get through the game- a heat sensor or magnifying glass that you hold up to the screen at certain times, or it flashes up clues that the players have to watch out for as they are playing...

The only real shame is non-multitouch screen.

XTERC

I'm finding it really difficult to form an opinion on the Wii U (probably due to the lack of 'real' information). I was looking forward to playing Wii games in HD, but it looks like Nintendo wants to take advantage of selling HD remakes of Wii titles rather than building the capability into the console.

Do we know how they are offering Wii emulation?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
XTERC said:
I'm finding it really difficult to form an opinion on the Wii U (probably due to the lack of 'real' information). I was looking forward to playing Wii games in HD, but it looks like Nintendo wants to take advantage of selling HD remakes of Wii titles rather than building the capability into the console.

Do we know how they are offering Wii emulation?

HD Remakes of Wii titles? I hadn't heard that yet.

Ok, I need a final answer on multiple Wii U controller on one system. At first we thought no, now someone is telling me that Ubi said yes? Which is it, or has it not been confirmed?

This is extremely relevant to my interests.

Tenck said:
Anyone know who's helping Nintendo with Online infrastructure?
No, and it's doubtful anyone is. This all stems back to a misread Iwata quote about a month ago in which they said they would be looking for outside help; it seemed he was talking about advertising partnerships and stuff, though, but he was kind of vague so people projected their wants onto the comments.

Expect full on shit level online. If you need any proof just look at the 3DS.

(just my opinion, of course)

G0523 said:
The WiiU won't be able to play GameCube games and will have no way of playing with GameCube controllers.
This really sucks, especially for the BC Wii games that are played best with GCN controllers. Guess I'll have to keep my original Wii.
Not surprising. I was planning on trading in my first system (my Wii) for this thing but I need Cube controller support for Smash, so so much for that.

kottila

Scoops said:

Assassin's Creed TBA
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield TBA
Darksiders 2
Dirt TBA
The Legend of Zelda
LEGO City Stories
Metro Last Light
New Super Mario Mii
Pikmin 3
Rabbids TBA
Tekken TBA
Tom Clancy Online
Ubisoft FPS TBA
Noone is making My waifU?

The Wii U's system size has really left me worried. They went for form factor and size again, which begs the question: what kind of powerful, power efficient, stable and affordable system you can build with such a small box? I'm afraid the answer is not what I want to hear...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm sure this has come up before, but I've missed a lot of E3 coverage.

When I was watching the press conference and Iwata kept saying "you", I was thinking the new console would be named "Yuu".

I like that a lot better than Wii U because it follows the same spelling of Wii and also uses a pronoun.

dwu8991

Banned
Annoying Old Party Man said:
The Wii U's system size has really left me worried. They went for form factor and size again, which begs the question: what kind of powerful, power efficient, stable and affordable system you can build with such a small box? I'm afraid the answer is not what I want to hear...

It's a much larger box than wii and heavier as well.

In a way it's almost likef Nintendo is moving away from actual consoles.

Now they have this giant iPad-like thing as the console.

Acid08

Banned
I, for one, cannot wait to use a gigantic touch screen Game Gear to control my games. I'm actually pretty optimistic for this weird thing.

Christine

Fantastical said:
I'm sure this has come up before, but I've missed a lot of E3 coverage.

When I was watching the press conference and Iwata kept saying "you", I was thinking the new console would be named "Yuu".

I like that a lot better than Wii U because it follows the same spelling of Wii and also uses a pronoun.

Bob?

I reckon all Nintendo games will be 1080p/60fps as they're the only developer that really care about smooth games.

All the multi-platform stuff from other developers will be 30fps or less, as usual.

Top Bottom