• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

CoffeeJanitor said:
Expect full on shit level online. If you need any proof just look at the 3DS.

(just my opinion, of course)
That contradicts what Riccitiello and others have said though.

60_gig_PS3 said:
In a way it's almost likef Nintendo is moving away from actual consoles.

Now they have this giant iPad-like thing as the console.

?

Chittagong

Gold Member
New pic of device scale.

1zmi5uu.png

Has this been brought up yet? Cause I think it's rather important.

Nintendo's US boss Reggie Fils-Aime believes that Nintendo will be able to compete with its rivals online when Wii U is released in 2012.

In an interview with GameTrailers, Fils-Aime was asked how Wii U would compete in an online market dominated by its rivals.

"Now we've got a system that will have all of that type of capability built in," said Reggie.

Asked whether third parties will be able to create their own Wii U networks and online worlds, Fils-Aime said:

"Our approach [to online] will be a flexible one, literally taking the best of what each of our third party partners has to offer, marrying that with the best of what Nintendo does, and bringing that versus a more rigid, a more closed type of environment."

He added: "We're going to be sharing what we're doing from an online perspective over the next few days."

dwu8991

Banned
Looks like you don't have to be in the same room as the console:

It'll have a range that it works within, then?
Yes. A certain range. Also, it is possible for you to be in a separate room from the living room where the console of the Wii U will be located. However, dependent upon the thickness, for example, of the wall, we cannot tell if you will be able to smoothly play on that.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/09...satoru-iwata-talks-about-wii-u/#ixzz1OmUhzARv

Formless

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/08/wii-u-ditching-friend-codes-for-unified-gamertag-friends-list/
Blunt was on hand at E3, demonstrating "Ghost Recon Online" for the Wii U. The game is definitely focused on the multiplayer experience, so I asked him why he thought the Wii U would be a good fit, since Nintendo consoles traditionally aren't very online capable.

There's a few things on that. The first is the ability for individuals to make accounts. Rather than a machine having an account, each individual user has an account."

So I asked him, "Equivilent to a gamertag on Xbox Live?" "Yeah, exactly," he said.

He continued, saying that friend codes are no longer required for adding friends:

"Also the ability to easily find friends. Rather than using friend codes, which we've had in the past, we're able to connect players in a much easier way, which allows us to have a community that's playing together in the game."

Sorry if old

EDIT: Old, bleh. In any case, I think this is a good sign that at least third parties will have the choice to not use friend codes.

@Formless

Great.... I'll just give you my Gosh Recon account name and than I give you my call of duty account name and than I just give you my killzone account name and than I give ........

Polari

The Dutch Slayer said:
@Formless

Great.... I'll just give you my Gosh Recon account name and than I give you my call of duty account name and than I just give you my killzone account name and than I give ........

It will hopefully be unified like it is with 3DS, although I wouldn't put anything past Nintendo at this stage. It will be a damn shame if it isn't, because the controller offers a great platform for always on connectivity. Instead of having to have your Wii U on it would be feasible that your controller screen would just come on whenever someone wanted to play a game with you and you could accept or deny.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
dwu8991 said:

Yes. A certain range. Also, it is possible for you to be in a separate room from the living room where the console of the Wii U will be located. However, dependent upon the thickness, for example, of the wall, we cannot tell if you will be able to smoothly play on that.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/09...satoru-iwata-talks-about-wii-u/#ixzz1OmUhzARv

OH HELL YES. That's what I'm talking about. Purchase goes back to a Day One.

KrawlMan

Today is the last day of E3 is it not? I'm wondering if we are essentially done with new info on Wii U. :( I can't wait for whatever conference they hold next to showcase actual games for the system...particularly games Nintendo plan to launch with. I'm kind of expecting (hoping) we'll get something sooner than next E3.

[Nintex]

KrawlMan said:
Today is the last day of E3 is it not? I'm wondering if we are essentially done with new info on Wii U. :( I can't wait for whatever conference they hold next to showcase actual games for the system...particularly games Nintendo plan to launch with. I'm kind of expecting (hoping) we'll get something sooner than next E3.
Their fall conference would be your best bet. But Nintendo will focus on 3DS and a bit of Wii this year and make 2012 the year of Wii U so to speak.

CoffeeJanitor said:
For Ghost Recon, yeah. This confirms nothing for Nintendo's online service as a whole.

We had the same thing happen on Wii with MH Tri, some EA games, COD, etc.

I'll repeat what I posted in the MTV LOL thread:

Father_Brain said:
Thing is, looking at the original post, I'm not quite convinced that MTV Multiplayer got it wrong.

First of all, "rather than a machine having an account" is a very odd choice of wording if 3DS-style hardware-based "accounts" are a default feature of which Ubisoft is merely doing a runaround.

More importantly, the quote in the OP omits what might - might - be a fairly important piece of context:

Blunt was on hand at E3, demonstrating "Ghost Recon Online" for the Wii U. The game is definitely focused on the multiplayer experience, so I asked him why he thought the Wii U would be a good fit, since Nintendo consoles traditionally aren't very online capable.

There's a few things on that. The first is the ability for individuals to make accounts. Rather than a machine having an account, each individual user has an account."

So I asked him, "Equivalent to a gamertag on Xbox Live?" "Yeah, exactly," he said.

He continued, saying that friend codes are no longer required for adding friends:

"Also the ability to easily find friends. Rather than using friend codes, which we've had in the past, we're able to connect players in a much easier way, which allows us to have a community that's playing together in the game."

Frushtick was apparently asking about why Wii U was a good choice of platform for an online game in general, not about Ghost Recon's online features specifically. Considering that context, it sounds like Blunt would be talking about firmware-level online features, not - again - any runaround Ubisoft is doing.

Might I be reading too much into this? Certainly; I know full well just how atrocious Nintendo's record with online is. I just figure it bears noting for now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GregLombardi said:
I'm very confused. Did Nintendo ever actually reveal anything about their online for Wii U? Or did I miss it?

No...they've been extremely vague and danced around questions. My guess is that they haven't fully settled on something yet.

That's got to be off. Maybe I'm off by some tenths, but isn't Vita screen supposed to be 5" and Wii U's 6.2"? That would be about 24% longer. But going by the diagonals in that picture, Wii U's is something like 47% larger.

EDIT: Actually, since it's got a centimeter scale built in... yeah, PSV's screen looks to be 5", but the Wii U screen is shown as something like 7.3".

REEDIT: I think you used the Wii U's screen diagonal as its screen length.

REREEDIT: Well, not YOU, but that site.

Jaded Alyx said:
That contradicts what Riccitiello and others have said though.
Like? The Ghost Recon guys seemed to be talking about their own in game online system, which has been done on the Wii before with MH Tri, COD, EA Games, etc.

That quote above would support that this seems to be the case

JoshuaJSlone said:
That's got to be off. Maybe I'm off by some tenths, but isn't Vita screen supposed to be 5" and Wii U's 6.2"? That would be about 24% longer. But going by the diagonals in that picture, Wii U's is something like 47% larger.

EDIT: Actually, since it's got a centimeter scale built in... yeah, PSV's screen looks to be 5", but the Wii U screen is shown as something like 7.3".

REEDIT: I think you used the Wii U's screen diagonal as its screen length.

REREEDIT: Well, not YOU, but that site.

Yeah I was thinking the same as soon as I saw it that its off somehow

leadbelly

Banned
Hydrogen Bluebird said:
Super Wii

Nu Wii

Wii Nu

would have been better names.

Wii u just sucks.

I was thinking "Wii Wii"

or maybe "Wow Wii". You know like when a kid is really amazed by something? "Wow Wee!" :D

CoffeeJanitor said:
Like? The Ghost Recon guys seemed to be talking about their own in game online system, which has been done on the Wii before with MH Tri, COD, EA Games, etc.

That quote above would support that this seems to be the case

Skepticism about Wii U's online is certainly justified, and I'm holding onto it for now, but the actual context and wording of the Ubisoft quote don't immediately appear to justify that conclusion.

Father_Brain said:
Skepticism about Wii U's online is certainly justified, and I'm holding onto it for now, but the actual context and wording of the Ubisoft quote don't immediately appear to justify that conclusion.
Yeah, we'll see. As much as I'd like to say that I won't get the system if Nintendo messes up in that area....It has Pikmin 3. Damn you Nintendo

wazoo

badcrumble said:
Let's hope so (for Wind Waker if for nothing else).

There is not much on GC that I would miss, but
Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Wario World
Mario Golf / 1080 / wave Race
Four Swords
Luigi Mansion (already remade on 3DS)
FZERO

will appear one day or another

I will miss the Kongo controller (Donkey Konga and DKJB)

Mrbob

Is Nintendo having another round table discussion?

Reggie said we would know more about online in a couple days. This was a couple days ago! Isn't today the last day of E3? Weird how Nintendo is being so vague about online, especially when they don't have the best track record when it comes to online in general.

Thoraxes said:
It uses a proprietary (so far single-layered) DVD based disc format that holds up to 25 GB of data, the same amount as a single-layered BD. It's cheaper to make and use your own disc than to license something.

Where did you get this information? I understand the licensing fees but Blu-ray is still a more viable format then the ancient DVD. 25gb is interesting but games like MGS4 (and FFXIII i believe) used a 50gb disc (albeit for the FMV) but still in a few years 25gbs will likely be less then what most devs want. Coming out with new hardware that has less your (5 year old) competition is a little lame, not to mention I really love that blu-rays have that protective layer to them.

Krowley

Buggy Loop said:
So i assume there's no leaks of the tokyo street demo yet?

Another poster earlier said the tokyo street demo was using data from a 3d camera to create a panoramic view, so it was actually just video, which is why it looked so good. I'm not sure who the poster was or why he knows this, but it was posted somewhere on the board in one of the graphics threads.

Krowley

TheBanditKing said:
Where did you get this information? I understand the licensing fees but Blu-ray is still a more viable format then the ancient DVD. 25gb is interesting but games like MGS4 (and FFXIII i believe) used a 50gb disc (albeit for the FMV) but still in a few years 25gbs will likely be less then what most devs want. Coming out with new hardware that has less your (5 year old) competition is a little lame, not to mention I really love that blu-rays have that protective layer to them.

they can almost certainly make dual layered versions of these discs as well, which would be 50 GB, when they feel it's necessary.

Others on the boards have speculated that it's basically a blu-ray disc, just without the licensing fee, and would probably be able to play blu-ray discs if someone hacked the console. That's how wii works. Technically, wii discs are considered proprietary discs, but in reality, they're just DVDs.

RedSwirl

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but from Kotaku's video showing the sides and back of the machine, it seems to have a lot of cooling in its current form.

thomaser

dwu8991 said:

Nice! My bed in my bedroom is only five-six meters away from the tv in the living room. Can't wait to use that controller in bed before sleeping - I only hope I don't fall asleep on it.

Exuro

Hero of Legend said:
Forgive me if posted, but it seems that Ubisoft confirms that Wii U will have an account-based online system:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174844p1.html

I'm surprised this isn't a hot topic, unless it's been debunked, or something.
MTV is the only one reporting that and they're most likely getting it mixed up with GRO's system. This was posted right after the roundtable if I'm not mistaken.

KrawlMan

Krowley said:
Another poster earlier said the tokyo street demo was using data from a 3d camera to create a panoramic view, so it was actually just video, which is why it looked so good. I'm not sure who the poster was or why he knows this, but it was posted somewhere on the board in one of the graphics threads.

Do we have a decent video of the Bird / Japanese Garden demo at all?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Mrbob said:
Is Nintendo having another round table discussion?

Reggie said we would know more about online in a couple days. This was a couple days ago! Isn't today the last day of E3? Weird how Nintendo is being so vague about online, especially when they don't have the best track record when it comes to online in general.
I think that was just Reggie trying to make Geoff shut up.

It's not "weird" either. The console is a long way away. We didn't hear about 3DS online until a few months before it came out.

If this thing isn't out by next E3 (and it's not supposed to right?) then I think that's when we'll hear about it.

It's still very early, and the only reason that Nintendo revealed it is to say "DON'T WORRY! WE HAVE A NEW CONSOLE COMING!" while the Wii is tanking.

I've been away from GAF for almost a day, catching up on sleep. I'm just trying to catch up on any news. Do we know anything new about the CPU, GPU or RAM yet?

antonz

herzogzwei1989 said:
I've been away from GAF for almost a day, catching up on sleep. I'm just trying to catch up on any news. Do we know anything new about the CPU, GPU or RAM yet?
Havent really learned anything new since the new eDRAM being used by IBM in the cpu.

eDRAM uses 1/3 the space of normal sram and 90% less power.

barnone

I'm curious as to how the controller screen information will be handled once the TV is turned off and the main game screen is streamed to the controller. This must be an optional developer feature because you can't just lose the controller screen information.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Nintendo holds an event in the fall right? GTA games are also generally announced around that time aren't they? GTAV will be announced for WiiU in the fall.

hatchx

Banned
Do we have a confirmation yet if the controller supports one or two controllers?

It's kind of sad such an awesome controller interface doesn't support 4 or more controllers. I heard rumours they were working on two....

Thanos2001

Neo Member
hatchx brings up the biggest question I've had.

Nintendo says a lot about bringing a second screen to gaming, but makes no comment about a third for two player games. The baseball demo seemed very telling to me. They showed a player using the controller to pitch and field, but that's only one side of the game. Does the batter get his own window or is he forced to use a wiimote or classic controller?

If it can't handle 3 screens, how is football going to work?

I've got a shiny dollar bet with two peeps that this thing only works with one uber controller. Have there been any facts to say yea or nay?

Thanos2001 said:
I've got a shiny dollar bet with two peeps that this thing only works with one uber controller. Have there been any facts to say yea or nay?

All Nintendo PR and fact sheets use singular verbiage to describe "a new controller" being paired with the system. They then specifically say "up to four Wii-motes." So it's basically one controller at this point.

But, it's been rumored that Nintendo is looking into getting it to work with 2 controllers.

Of course, they've also said the controller wouldn't be sold separately.

Basically, sounds like all plans were for one controller.. but perhaps based on feedback Nintendo is re-thinking that.

It's likely a cost issue, but we don't really know the details of the tech, and what type of hardware is dedicated to the controller on the console unit side. They might need to double that hardware to support 2 controllers.. then of course there's the marketing and sales issue of what to charge for this giant controller. What is their cost, etc. And considering different video can be sent to the screen than the TV, the performance cost of having to do that for more than one controller.

Top Bottom