• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Information Thread

zomgbbqftw said:
It still allows for multi-touch with fingers and whatnot right?

If so, you get accurate stylus input and finger friendly multi-touch, doesn't matter about the underlying tech, the outcome is what matters.
Not only are Wacom tablets inductive (a technology patented by Wacom IIRC) and only works with a special pen as pointed out above, they're also really expensive. And the Wacom tablets with screens under them cost over $1000.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
ThoseDeafMutes said:
The GC was 32 bits, as was the Wii and XBOX. The PS2 was 128 bits, however.

I just assumed everything during that era was 128-bits lol. Or at least marketed that way.

Though I do kinda miss those kinda commercials.

Why would you do that? said:
Not only are Wacom tablets inductive (a technology patented by Wacom IIRC) and only works with a special pen as pointed out above, they're also really expensive. And the Wacom tablets with screens under them cost over $1000.

Fair enough!

So what tech does the HTC Flyer use? That has a super accurate optional pen, and multi-touch, I thought it was Wacom, which is why I mentioned them in the first place...

wsippel

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
It still allows for multi-touch with fingers and whatnot right?

If so, you get accurate stylus input and finger friendly multi-touch, doesn't matter about the underlying tech, the outcome is what matters.
Regular Wacom tablets like the professional Intuos series don't support multitouch. I assume you mean the Bamboo series? In this case, all Wacom did was to put a standard capacitive digitizer on top of a inductive digitizer. While it is possible to do that, and layer all that on top of a screen, it would be way too expensive for a controller. Not to mention the cost of a replacement stylus, and the fact that Wacom patented battery-less stylus design to hell and back, and you probably see why it's simply not feasible. It would be nice, I agree wholeheartedly. But it won't happen.

wsippel

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
I'm pretty sure the Cube is 64 bit, and so is the Wii.
The PowerPC 750CXe, and by extension Gekko and Broadway, are PPC32: 32bit. PS1 used MIPS32, N64 and PS2 MIPS64. So technically, the PS2 was actually 64bit.

Luigiv

zomgbbqftw said:
Fair enough!

So what tech does the HTC Flyer use? That has a super accurate optional pen, and multi-touch, I thought it was Wacom, which is why I mentioned them in the first place...
Apparently the pen uses HTC's own proprietary technology. But yeah, the way Multitouch and Wacom pens work together is by having both a capacitive layer and a Wacom digitiser on the same device.

Luigiv said:
Apparently the pen uses HTC's own proprietary technology. But yeah, the way Multitouch and Wacom pens work together is by having both a capacitive layer and a Wacom digitiser on the same device.

Well if HTC can come up with something, surely Nintendo can as well. They are losing out on a big input method by using only single touch or the stylus. A lot of developers who make iOS and Android games would be able to leverage multi-touch on the screen much better than traditional developers, but by having resistive you kind of lock them out, which sucks.

Xavien said:
I miss bits as a marker of technological levels in consoles :(

"your console sucks cause its only 8-bit"
Me too. :(
To compensate, I say companies should market systems by how much RAM they have. I mean, the "Playstation 3 2048mb" has a nice ring to it. :p

zomgbbqftw said:
Well if HTC can come up with something, surely Nintendo can as well. They are losing out on a big input method by using only single touch or the stylus. A lot of developers who make iOS and Android games would be able to leverage multi-touch on the screen much better than traditional developers, but by having resistive you kind of lock them out, which sucks.
I remember reading that there are multi-touch resistive screens that work by layering on more than one digitizer (touch panel) but I need to look into that.

Edit:
"Multi-touch comes to resistive touchscreens" (from only two years ago)

jambo

Albino_Samurai said:
With the current version of UE3 comming to a end, is there perhaps any chance this new console might be able to run the new (still in development) Unreal 4 engine?

Source?

Also Sweeney and Rein have said that UE4 is aimed at PCs and the next generation of consoles, i.e. PS4 and Xbox 3, so I don't think that the Wii U falls in to that category.

plank

jambo said:
Source?

Also Sweeney and Rein have said that UE4 is aimed at PCs and the next generation of consoles, i.e. PS4 and Xbox 3, so I don't think that the Wii U falls in to that category.

WiiU isn't next gen?

miksar

Did someone compile all the pre-announcement rumours to find out which sites we can trust in the future? And probably those who nailed every detail (or most details) had some additional information that was not confirmed officially but we still can consider now to be trustworthy (aside from R700 family for GPU)?

Oppo

As a point of fact, resistive screens are not more accurate. You just use a pointy stylus with them.

You can use a stylus with a capacitive screen too, it just has to have a conductive tip. I have one for my iPad. It was $8.

Do you have to use a stylus on the Umote? Or have they demonstrated it with fingers as well?

zomgbbqftw said:

Because they're forced to as the devices have no buttons...

wsippel

Banned
jambo said:
Source?

I wouldn't be so sure. Which platforms UE supports depends mostly on the featureset. There seems to be nothing on the horizon in that regard WiiU shouldn't support. Epic might require OpenCL, or 64bit multicore support, or geoshaders, but WiiU does all that. The only potential issue that comes to mind is RAM, but we have absolutely no idea how much RAM WiiU has. More than 512MB, if Ubisoft's statements are anything to go by.

KrawlMan

Britprog said:
It is, but Nintendo haters automatically assume that it will be underpowered because Wii was. Time will tell.

I'm not a Nintendo hater, but I'm not expecting a bleeding edge system like the PS3/360 were when they released. When Nintendo goes through with the full reveal of this console (later this year, sometime next year?) let's hope that they have no qualms confidently saying that it superior to the current gen by a decent margin. Right now we have nothing to go off of. When Geoff Keighley commented on the tech demos during the interview with Reggie, Reggies response was that they were built off of a very early version of the hardware. I assume the emphasis was to put peoples minds at ease, saying they know visuals are important.

I'm just hoping MS and Sony don't take the exact same route they did with the previous gen. Not because I actually want less powerful systems, I just don't want to see my investment in Wii U turn to shit because 3rd parties decide once again that the Wii U can't handle their new engines.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PortTwo said:
Not just that. Pinch-to-zoom for example is huge and would be impossible without MT.
It's huge? For what? Browsing? Regardless, how about little + - icons or a slider? Or are GUI elements now out of fashion? OSes and programs sure still use them.

It's impossible for the WiiU to end up in the same position as the Wii as far as third party ports go.
There's just no way that Sony and MS can make systems so powerful that they will destroy any chance of multiplatform games.

Let's say the Wii U is using a 4850, even on a PC, that can still run modern games pretty well.
On a closed system it'll be great. And we know that the CPU is a little beast, so that shouldn't be a problem. And Ubisoft is saying the system has plenty of RAM so we should be good there.

Nintendo has been actively seeking the advice of third parties (particularly EA, Ubisoft and THQ) for what they want from the Wii U. Flying them to Japan multiple times over the past months to get their input.

The design and philosophy of the Wii U is the complete opposite of the Wii's in every way, despite the message Nintendo is trying to convey.

Alexios

AceBandage said:
It's impossible for the WiiU to end up in the same position as the Wii as far as third party ports go.
I wouldn't say impossible but it's certainly improbable. Even if it's far weaker downports should be possible since a lot of new or upcoming technologies involve things like tesselation, super realistic lighting and rendering methods and other such things that you can tone down or turn off to revert to above 360 level quality for said elements without much effort and at the same time dramatically increase performance without necessarily making the game butt ugly in the process. Since all systems will be at HD resolutions rather than anything higher (outside PC gaming), that evens the field further in how good things can look. Even physics wise it shouldn't be that difficult to implement different levels of detail for destroyable objects, so that on PS4 and the Nextbox you may get insane amounts of detail with individual brick pieces of a collapsing building or whatever, if they're really much more powerful, while on WiiU you'd have something simpler yet with the same gameplay result, and still pretty, like Crysis or BC2/BF3, potentially while hiding inadequecies with less taxing effects like extra dust or whatever else.

Oppo

Alextended said:
It's huge? For what? Browsing? Regardless, how about little + - icons or a slider? Or are GUI elements now out of fashion? OSes and programs sure still use them.

Pinch-to-zoom is quite brilliant for RTS and tower defence games; or anything with a map or overhead view actually. Sure you could use the buttons but nothing artificial will be as fast or accurate as your finger+thumb, initiating the zoom (in either direction) and carefully adjusting it all in one gesture.

Alexios

PortTwo said:
Pinch-to-zoom is quite brilliant for RTS and tower defence games; or anything with a map or overhead view actually. Sure you could use the buttons but nothing artificial will be as fast or accurate as your finger+thumb.
Eh, I'll agree to disagree. Imo, pinching is essentially a slider too in terms of the level of zoom. Sure, you can touch anywhere at the same time and zoom right there but it's not exactly a hassle to just tap where you want once and then use the slider to zoom in there. Single touch gestures can also be involved depending on the gameplay and what it needs or doesn't need for other mechanics. For example, my sister's crappy laptop lets you do a repeated swirl clockwise/counterclockwise to zoom in/out, or something like that, if I remember right. Let's not forget that the Wii's controller also has buttons, unlike Apple's devices, so you could just use a couple of those for zooming right where you're touching too in such genres. The same for other functions that are done with multi touch gestures when using products in need of that.
AceBandage said:
Did you actually hear this somewhere or are just guessing?
I agree it would be pretty awesome though. Hawken looks delicious.
I think he just wanted to pimp the game. But hey, it deserves it all the attention it gets.

AceBandage said:
There's just no way that Sony and MS can make systems so powerful that they will destroy any chance of multiplatform games.

Let's say the Wii U is using a 4850, even on a PC, that can still run modern games pretty well.
On a closed system it'll be great. And we know that the CPU is a little beast, so that shouldn't be a problem. And Ubisoft is saying the system has plenty of RAM so we should be good there.

Nintendo has been actively seeking the advice of third parties (particularly EA, Ubisoft and THQ) for what they want from the Wii U. Flying them to Japan multiple times over the past months to get their input.

The design and philosophy of the Wii U is the complete opposite of the Wii's in every way, despite the message Nintendo is trying to convey.

Your sentiment is encouraging but I really think nintendo needs to take the press feedback and sort of re-reveal this thing. Yes it was about the controller and it always is but a lot of people--myself included--thought the controller was either the console or just a new one that was Wii compatible.

Get a new event solely dedicated to this thing. Actually talk about the console itself, show off first and third party games that are running on finalized WiiU hardware, and stop dodging the online question and finally show how the fuck we will be connected online.

DragonKnight said:
Your sentiment is encouraging but I really think nintendo needs to take the press feedback and sort of re-reveal this thing. Yes it was about the controller and it always is but a lot of people--myself included--thought the controller was either the console or just a new one that was Wii compatible.

Get a new event solely dedicated to this thing. Actually talk about the console itself, show off first and third party games that are running on finalized WiiU hardware, and stop dodging the online question and finally show how the fuck we will be connected online.

And this will happen.
Likely even this year. Especially if they want to boost investor confidence again, they'll do an event just for the Wii U.

AceBandage said:
And this will happen.
Likely even this year. Especially if they want to boost investor confidence again, they'll do an event just for the Wii U.

Source? Sorry but I just don't share your optimism. Did nintendo outright confirm this? And you guys figured out the CPU in the other thread which I am super excited about but do you have a real solid guesses on this "modern HD GPU" that AMD is supplying?

Alexios

DragonKnight said:
Source? Sorry but I just don't share your optimism. Did nintendo outright confirm this? And you guys figured out the CPU in the other thread which I am super excited about but do you have a real solid guesses on this "modern HD GPU" that AMD is supplying?
Whether a dedicated event occurs or doesn't occur you can be sure WiiU will be promoted left and right and center with all one could possibly want to find out about it. Except the actual specs, I think they didn't even release the 3DS specs? I don't get why anyone would think they'll just launch the console without any further information until then. There will certainly be events, adverts, presentations, and a load of hands-on time from every outlet out there. This isn't the Sega Saturn launch or something. We'll know everything about it long before we can purchase it from Nintendo, third parties, and the media, that's for sure. That will include the launch window games too of course.

This thing won't launch until at least August of next year i'm thinking.

Nintendo's going to want another E3 to blow the doors off of the console, hence the vaguery of this years' reveal.

syoaran

DragonKnight said:

Agreed. They need software, first party and 3rd party software that is shown only on this system.

- I was sold on the SNES because of Super Mario
- I was sold on an N64 because of Mario64
- I was sold on a Gamecube because of Rogue Squadron/Waverace
- I was sold on the Wii because of Zelda TP

They need to demonstrate actual playable titles with a shipping date for the core gamer to get excited.

wsippel

Banned
DragonKnight said:
There is no source, but it's Nintendo's usual modus operandi. Especially considering the fact that there might not even be another E3 before this thing launches. If that's the case, they have to do something later this year. Probably in late September or early October.

DragonKnight said:

They're already planning an large event for October (they've already started renting out space), which is when they hold their Fall conference. This event has had really good information in the past for both the Wii and DS, it was where we first learned about WiiWare and Monster Hunter and a lot of other great games.

As for the GPU, it's looking likely, based on the size of the CPU, that they'll go with something closer to a 5770, since it's smaller and produces less heat.
IGN's sources put early dev kits at a 4850, but final dev kits would likely have something better in them that works in a smaller system. This would be something like a 5770.

Alextended said:
Whether an even occurs or doesn't occur you can be sure WiiU will be promoted left and right with all you could possibly want to find out about it. Except the actual specs, I think they didn't even releae the 3DS specs? Still, why would anyone think they'll just launch the console without any further details? There will certainly be events, adverts, presentations, and a ton of hands-on presentation from every outlet out there. This isn't the Sega Saturn launch or something...

No. After all the confusion it needs a clear-the-air event. Nothing else can or will suffice. And of course Nintendo will have other events. That isn't the point. Are they going to just ignore the confusion of the press and the comments that made this E3 and do their own thing, or are they actually going to take the feedback and give this thing a proper unveiling? An open Q and A session where we actually got real answers would be great. Since the console is rumored to go into production in October, a September event would be great since everything about the system will likely be final by then.

AceBandage said:
They're already planning an large event for October (they've already started renting out space), which is when they hold their Fall conference. This event has had really good information in the past for both the Wii and DS, it was where we first learned about WiiWare and Monster Hunter and a lot of other great games.

As for the GPU, it's looking likely, based on the size of the CPU, that they'll go with something closer to a 5770, since it's smaller and produces less heat.
IGN's sources put early dev kits at a 4850, but final dev kits would likely have something better in them that works in a smaller system. This would be something like a 5770.

So taking the knowledge that i've garnered from that other thread (thanks in no small part to you guys) with the Power7 like CPU and the 5770, this would be like a 5X increase in power over the current HD twins? I know it's not a big deal for a console coming out 2012 to be more powerful than ones that were released 6 years ago but I'm trying to get a feel for how future proof the WiiU actually is. I mean why would Epic make a tech demo for this thing if it wasn't? Nintendo doesn't moneyhat or beg do they?

Alexios

DragonKnight said:
Are they going to just ignore the confusion of the press
What members of the press are still confused? Just tell me so I don't have to even consider reading them, ever. Who still thinks it's a controller only? How was that not clarified enough? The press got to play it! The conference could have been better but I can't comprehend how anyone even remotely interested in games can still be confused. Did some mainstream publication write about it with all the facts wrong or what? All I see is people making a fuss about "the confusion" but I've yet to encounter something like that outside anecdotal "yeah my friend thought it's a controller too until I explained it to him" or whatever else. Was it a bad presentation? Sure. Is there confusion? Noway. The mainstream public will be even less confused since they weren't watching the thing unfold in real time, they'll just read some random gadget or lifestyle or whatever other magazine's report or see it presented on TV. Hell, there's barely any information to begin with in order to be actually confused. There are no conflicting reports or whatever and we still got more information than people expected, since it's so early. Of course they plan to reveal more, of course they plan to pimp every single aspect of the system as the next best thing. The additional information will come as they had already planned to unveil it, in what form that is remains to be seen. This "confusion" will affect nothing imo, the system has barely been presented beyond a first taste, just as the plan was, so they will be presenting all aspects of it between now and the launch as they most certainly planned to do all along. From controls, to actual games to the graphics it can output to whatever they finally decide about the number of controllers, to how they'll accomodate backwards compatibility and the usage of Wii controllers and accessories with Wii U games, to the online features as they get done, to everything. How/why would they not?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
vectorman06 said:
The5thNintendoElement.gif

I'm ready :D
This is amazing. I need to watch Fifth Element again now!

Alextended said:
What members of the press is still confused? Just tell me so I don't have to even consider reading them. Who still thinks it's a controller only? How was that not clarified enough? Yeah, their conference could have been better but outside that I can't comprehend how anyone who might be even remotely interested in consoles can STILL be confused. Did some mainstream publication write about the thing with all the facts all wrong or what did I miss? All I see is people making a fuss about "the confusion" but I've yet to encounter something like that outside anecdotal "yeah my friend thought it's a controller too until I explained it to him" or whatever else. Was it a bad presentation? Sure. Is there confusion? Noway. There's barely any information to begin with in order to be confused. There are no conflicting reports or whatever and we still got more information than people expected, since it's so early. Of course they plan to reveal more, of course they plan to pimp every single aspect of the system as the next best thing. The additional information will come as they had already planned to unveil it, in what form that is remains to be seen. This "confusion" will affect nothing imo, the system has barely been presented beyond a taste, just as the plan was, so they will be presenting all aspects of it between now and the launch as they most certainly planned to do all along.

I'm talking about initial confusion. I'm sure everyone knows that it's a brand new console by now...at least I hope so. Still, I would have liked to hear more about the system itself and hopefully nintendo will have more finalized software to show off with the actually controller instead of just tech demos.

effzee

Smiles and Cries said:
I have to say Nintendo did a poor job at E3 with the Wii U

- Stupid Name!
- Showed nothing that could prove the hardware can push a definitive version of anything
- none of the 3rd parties could say anything, everyone on lockdown even if they knew the answer
- gave little details, this just allows everyone to go crazy guessing and bitching
- same as every hardware launch, until the thing is out on store shelves we will never know the facts

my only guess for all of this is lots of things are in flux, the hardware is not final, the online is not final so they don't want to promise anything

Agreed. System might turn out to be amazing but the reveal was so anticlimactic and pointless considering what they didn't show. At this point the given is what Nintendo showed off. What I mean to say is that by now everyone knows and expects Nintendo to do something different in terms of controls but the big question was the HD, online, horse power, and the games. None of which is a given with Nintendo. We can check off HD from the list but I think everyone, including investors, expected a full reveal.

If Nintendo sticks to their guns we will finally know what we want to know, good or bad, by the end of the year.

USC-fan

Banned
AceBandage said:

I would say its more than likely that is will happen.. Wiiu looks to be comparable to the pos3/x360. This is also the message that Nintendo PR have put out there. I see no reason that they would put high end chips in this console when the focus is on the controller. If the goal was to get third party 360/ps3 games on the console, why would they need more power than these consoles? The next gen console are still at least 3-4 years away for ms and sony.

Just doesnt make sense if you want to keep cost down. Also Nintendo doesnt take a loss on its hardware.

Think a lot of people are going to be upset when the specs are released if you think the wiiu is comparable to the next gen consoles from MS and sony. Sony ps vita lauch games compares well to some early ps3 games.....just think about that if you think there will not be a jump in next gen.

USC-fan said:
I would say its more than likely that is will happen.. Wiiu looks to be comparable to the pos3/x360. This is also the message that Nintendo PR have put out there. I see no reason that they would put high end chips in this console when the focus is on the controller. If the goal was to get third party 360/ps3 games on the console, why would they need more power than these consoles? The next gen console are still at least 3-4 years away for ms and sony.

Just doesnt make sense if you want to keep cost down. Also Nintendo doesnt take a loss on its hardware.

Think a lot of people are going to be upset when the specs are released if you think the wiiu is comparable to the next gen consoles from MS and sony. Sony ps vita lauch games compares well to some early ps3 games.....just think about that if you think there will not be a jump in next gen.

We know for a fact that the WiiU will be using the most advanced CPU available today. The GPU is also custom. When both are incorporated into a closed environment we should see some really impressive beyond 360/ps3 games. The problem is

--why should any developer spend extra resources to utilize this power? What are the incentives when 100million people will buy the 360/ps3 versions.
--is this enough power to ensure third party support even when the 720/ps4 drops?

And the goal was not to get ps3/360 third party support. The goal is to get AAA third party support regardless of what systems are on the market.

Jokeropia

PortTwo said:
As a point of fact, resistive screens are not more accurate. You just use a pointy stylus with them.
Actually, resistive screens are typically more accurate as well, in addition to being compatible with simpler styluses. Now I don't know what kind of resistive screen the WiiPad uses and it might certainly be possible to create a capacitive one with equal accuracy, but the extra manufacturing cost plus the cost of the capacitive stylus (most of which seem to have pretty wide tips) would not be insignificant and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it. Certainly not for "pinch to zoom" as far as I'm concerned. (See Alextended's post.)

USC-fan said:

Every part that people have been guessing would still make the system cheap to produce.
Also, no way is the PS4/720 3-4 years away. No freakin' way. 2 years MAX.

Top Bottom