• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is now as old as the DreamCast when it got discontinued, sold worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker666

I love how some people seem to sit behind the excuse that the WiiU is fine and it's a different situation because Nintendo are sitting on a pile of cash.

Nintendo are a business and decisions are made based on numbers and performance. End of.

They're not going to keep pumping money into a machine that's failing just because they can afford to...

Hmm..but launching a new machine costs even more money and they won't get any more software support from 3rd parties.

If they can sell enough Wii U software to break-even ... then they can re-release said titles on their next handheld in a few years for a second bite of the cherry at little cost.

Nerokis

I don't condone those kinds of posts but it seems Nintendo fans seem oblivious to subjective nature associated to gamer tastes. Not everyone wants to play the latest Mario or Zelda. Not everyone wants to play another Donkey Kong or Mario Kart. And judging from the sales so far... most people don't.

Um... unless you're really really into Nintendo exclusives you're better off dropping that $299 into a new videocard for a PC. That will negate the subscription, 1080p60fps, backwards compatibility, features, and cheaper.

Not everyone is primarily inclined to game on PC, and even among those who are, a $300 graphics card and a $300 gaming system are distinct enough that it won't necessarily be obvious which one you're "better off" going with. You hardly have to be "really, really into Nintendo exclusives" for that to be a subjective call.

With that said, I think it's pretty funny you'd call Nintendo fans oblivious for seeing an objective value in Nintendo exclusives, when you yourself somehow managed to so easily apply an objective value to such blatantly different things.

Seriously. You're oblivious to yourself.

Mory Dunz

Not all that comparable in their situations, but I think Wii U will see Dreamcast-like threads in ten years. Once the drama of sale charts, magazine/sites, and E3s for this decade passes over, only the interesting games will be left for enthusiasts to rediscover.

Maybe, we'll have to see once all it's games are released.

But it's all variable for now, so it all depends on...x

Neff

There's no doubt that Wii U offers good value, but sales aren't reflective of that because people simply just don't know enough about the machine, and many still probably don't even know that it exists.

The selling power of all three new consoles mostly mirrors the brand loyalty and market exposure of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as they were each represented by the last year or so of the seventh generation. Promotion, or lack of it, is also accountable.

And that's pretty much where we're at. Will it change? Yes, because it always does.

Faustek

A lot of crazy and a lot of brilliance going on here but one thing annoys me.

When you say "Holliday's" do you mean Christmas? Or some other holiday among the gazillion during the year?

Seriously wondering since I feel I can't participate until I've read up on the thread and if annoys the crap out of me -.-

Riki

Dreamcast announced discontinuation: January 31st, 2001
(2 years, 2 months, 2 days after its first release in Japan)
(1 year, 4 months, 22 days after its release in North America)

Dreamcast hardware discontinuation: March 30th, 2001
(2 years, 4 months, 3 days after its first release in Japan)
(1 year, 6 months, 21 days after its release in North America)

Wii U current date: April 20th, 2014
(1 year, 5 months, 2 days after its first release in North America)

NPD (USA sales to consumers) comparison:

As of the 2nd March:

Dreamcast:
September 1999 (launch) - March 2001 (19 months):
3.16 million

Wii U:
November 2012 (launch) - March 2014 (17 months):
2.30 million

As of 17 months:

Dreamcast:
September 1999 (launch) - January 2001 (17 months):
2.86 million

Wii U:
November 2012 (launch) - March 2014 (17 months):
2.30 million

As of the launch period:

Dreamcast:
September 1999 - December 1999 (4 months, launch period)
1.48 million

Wii U:
November 2012 - December 2012 (2 months, launch period)
0.88 million

As of the second year:

Dreamcast:
January 2000 - December 2000 (12 months):
1.28 million

Wii U:
January 2013 - December 2013 (12 months):
1.21 million

As of the third year so far:

Dreamcast:
January 2001 - March 2001 (3 months):
0.40 million

Wii U:
January 2014 - March 2014 (3 months):
0.20 million

Final LTD:

Dreamcast:
September 1999 - 2002
4.01 million (3.16 million so far)

Wii U:
November 2012 - 2015
??? million (2.30 million so far)

Did you contact a mod and point it out to them?

Contacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom