• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is now as old as the DreamCast when it got discontinued, sold worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

The Dreamcast was a great console, but Sega was just in a shitty financial state. They quickly transitioned to third party while Nintendo can put out more hardware even if they killed the wiiu this year.

Neff

As has been pointed out, there are several critical differences between Nintendo's situation and Sega's at that time.

But the most important one I think is despite Dreamcast being flooded with exceptional games, it simply didn't matter, because people were waiting for PS2. Wii U's 'flood' at least has only recently started, and there's no uber-dominant, PS2-like competitor this time round.

Basically, the difference is that Wii U will still be able to have its own small little market and profit in it, if only modestly, whereas Dreamcast never had a chance, and Sega knew it.

As has been pointed out, there are several critical differences between Nintendo's situation and Sega's at that time.

But the most important one I think is despite Dreamcast being flooded with exceptional games, it simply didn't matter, because people were waiting for PS2. Wii U's 'flood' at least has only recently started, and there's no uber-dominant, PS2-like competitor this time round.

Basically, the difference is that Wii U will still be able to have its own small little market and profit in it, if only modestly, whereas Dreamcast never had a chance, and Sega knew it.

Wii U has more competition from everything around it than the Dreamcast ever did.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
now wheres the updated image of this..

i7wFEoynrqM6W.png

X gonna give it to ya

Kysen

A large number of people in this thread completely missing the point. Its got nothing to do with either company's financial situation. DC was deemed a failure at this same time period despite selling twice the consoles WiiU has achieved.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Saturn was a failure, Wii was a success. Nintendo can afford a failure. Plus they have the handheld market by the balls.
this, plus Nintendo is pretty much use to having a failure in the console market since the N64, Wii was a nice change for them but even then they offered the same sort of support.
I think the SNES was so great because it had 3rd party support, outside Nintendos stuff 4rd party made that console.

gogogow

Wii U has more competition from everything around it than the Dreamcast ever did.

I don't know about that. The biggest problems seems to be the lack of (third-party) games and confusing branding. While the PS4 is a hot product right now, I don't see it turning into a PS2 and kills everything around it.

A large number of people in this thread completely missing the point. Its got nothing to do with either company's financial situation. DC was deemed a failure at this same time period despite selling twice the consoles WiiU has achieved.

Of course it has to do with financials, the reason the Wii U will go on a few more years at least.

I bought a DC day 1. No regrets. Won't buy a Wiiu anytime soon. Sorry. =(

Waiting for the the abandoning ship sale. Sorry again. =(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wait a fucking minute, the Dreamcast was killed off after 3 years. The Wii U's not even 2 years old!

That tweet is complete bullshit!

ironcreed

Banned
With 3DS not doing as good as they hope, can Nintendo even afford wasting the money they have on Wii U?

So do you suggest that they damage what goodwill they have left with the people who are supporting the system by dropping it and giving them the middle finger as a thank you? No, it would be incredibly foolish of them to just weakly give up and hurt themselves further after only a year and a half.

I know I am planning to buy one soon. If they decide to just drop it shortly thereafter, then they will never see another dime from me. Just giving up so soon while having plenty of money to back it would be the ultimate mistake. They need to increase goodwill, not dry it up even further.

Josman

Nintendo is in a better shape than Sega was tho... Still, I can't even imagine a bright future for Nintendo, hamdheld gaming has changed a lot and they've proven to be incompetent with their home consoles, oh how I would love to play Playstation and Nintendo games in a single powerful console, hell Nintendo developing VR games on the PS5 would be a dream come true.

Neff

More competition doesn't necessarily mean more of your market share depleted. It's usually one overtly dominant competitor which will do that.

People simply refused to buy Dreamcast in relatively large number, despite a far healthier industry than the one we have now, because PS2, the successor to the most successful games console of all time was coming, and everyone on planet earth wanted one.

IIRC, the DreamCast wasn't exactly bombing at retail, it just had a very steep uphill battle against the PS2 that required a ton of money to stay competitive, and Sega's well had run completely dry.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What a disaster this system has been. Can't even begin to imagine all the frustrated retailers, who'll require twice as much convincing in the future. Yikes.

Wait a fucking minute, the Dreamcast was killed off after 3 years. The Wii U's not even 2 years old!

That tweet is complete bullshit!

Only in Japan. In other parts of the world the Dreamcast was only 1.5 years old when it got killed off.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Their 10 year QOL plan despite all current ,,blue ocean'' games being dead on arrival suggests that they'll never learn under the current leadership.

QoL isn't games though. They're trying to catch a similar market, sure, but not by games. I think they realised that's not longer an option.

sörine

Banned
I'm guessing the OP's tweet citation is UK specific since in just 1.5 years Wii U worldwide is already past 50% of DC's total ltd, nevermind the 2.5 years it took DC from first launch to discontinuation. Wii U is doing terrible but I don't believe it's yet behind DC worldwide, although the staggered DC launch works against it there.

Chinner

Banned
definitely a sense of irony going here. dreamcast was one of the best consoles that got killed off, the wii u is verging on the definition of garbage but it lives on.

Cbajd5

So wait, a year's worth of time is being ignored for the Dreamcast for this tweet/thread to exist?

Especially when there's another failing platform that actually did just pass the entire time the Dreamcast was released? (Vita, if that isn't obvious. Dreamcast launch was November 27, 1998 and was supposed to be discontinued by March 30, 2001, which is 854 days. Vita launch was December 17, 2011 and it is April 20, 2014, which is 855 days.)

In any case, this is a really stupid comparison.

Lunar15

So what you're telling me is that Sega's failure had less to do with the Dreamcast and more to do with the several financial failures they endured before it? Ohhhhh okay, glad we finally cleared that one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom