• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U marketing materials starting to arrive at retail stores v2.0 (Read the OP)

stuart

Banned
Are white and black the only announced colours? If so, a white one please.

No pre-orders yet in the UK. This might be the first console I pre-order.

thanks EC
3AQmK.gif

Hoodbury

"12 Attractions"
"1 Giant themepark"

That's what it says on the NintendoLand box, but really, was the themepark giant? It looked like a circle with 12 mini game warp zones coming out of it. I didn't see a giant theme park to walk around in. Maybe it changed from the e3 demo?

7threst

The gamepad controllers are being sold separate?

I may just go with two GamePads and two GamePad Pros, with a black and white for each. I'll get the black system.

Alrighty! Thanks for the input

I thought they were... would be pretty strange if that was not the case imo.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wait, the "Buy a WiiU soon!" picture was in HMV a month ago, I remember seeing it. Huh.

Not seen any of the other promo stuff though. Will have to keep an eye out for it tomorrow in GAME.

DynamicG

The way Nintendoland is advertized on there makes me think that it will be sold separately.

I want the game, but I don't want to pay for it on it's own. I'm apparently fine with them charging more for the console and making it a pack in, but for some reason I just don't want to have to buy it separately.

I also really want to know what the other games on the collection are!

Kusagari

The way Nintendoland is advertized on there makes me think that it will be sold separately.

The way they talked about it at E3 always made me assume it would be standalone.

It SHOULD be a pack in, but I've never seen any indication, beyond hope, that it would be.

Kiryu

If NintendoLand is bundled with Wii U System then would it warrant your purchase since it's "better" than Wii Sport.

dacuk

Me too. I think it would be cool if they went the old-school route and included a demo disk.

Yup. I think it will be hard for Nintendo to sell the GamePad innovation idea to buyers without a bundled sample of its capabilities, like WiiSports did for Wii.

I can't believe that Nintendo will not include an experience to introduce people to the Wii U controller, like they did with Wii Sports. I just can't imagine it. Though, some have said there is a Wii Sports 2?

If only they'd launched this last year... they thought they could get one more year of decent sales out of the Wii and were wrong.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Probably not going to happen, but it would be awesome to get a Nintendoland pack in with the white Wii U and a Zombi U pack in with the black one.

Seeing that Nintendoland box as a stand alone makes me a tad bit nervous that it won't be packed in.

Regardless of what's in the box, that black Wii U is mine.

Kacho

So what kind of commercials are we all expecting?

I'm hoping for something out of left field, but I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I want some 1990's Nintendo style commercials that totally bring the random.

If Nintendo can put together an ad campaign that is half as awesome as the "Wii would like to play" they should have no problem selling those consoles to the broader audience.

I fully expect them to have a split ad campaign. The white console will have advertising that appeals to the mass audience that you'll see on TV alongside singing shows, dancing shows, dating shows, family shows, etc. While the black console will have edgier ads that you'll see on TV alongside wrestling, cartoons, and various shows that young men watch.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm just excited that black is confirmed for launch. At least in Europe as these photos seem to be of. Wouldn't be surprised if NoA fucked us over and only had white.
That's the ESRB's Rating Pending label. Those aren't European marketing materials.

Should we expect the Nintendo version of Ninja Gaiden 3 to be actually good or is it going to be identical to ps3/360 version?
They made heavy changes to the combat. It's been compared closer to NG2 than the original NG3, including dismemberment.

Are any of the remaining unannounced Nintendo Land attractions in those logos? It's strange we still don't know all of them maybe they are going to be on disk dlc? :D

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
There has to be some sort of software bundled with the system. There has to be. I always assumed it would be Nintendo Land, but the way they have it on that box along with NSMBU and NG makes me think otherwise.

I thought they were... would be pretty strange if that was not the case imo.

They won't be. The controllers are a signficant part of the manufacturing. Not only can they not make them nearly as fast as a regular controller due to this, if they sell it normal controller markup the thing will be over 100 dollars. Also not selling it at retail at first makes sure people don't buy the thing thinking its a revision

If only they'd launched this last year... they thought they could get one more year of decent sales out of the Wii and were wrong.

If they'd launched last year they would launched with a lineup deader than the 3DS. THey would have had to cobble together some shit software in a few months and call it a day.

Yup. I think it will be hard for Nintendo to sell the GamePad innovation idea to buyers without a bundled sample of its capabilities, like WiiSports did for Wii.

Technically if they have already purchased the system then they must have sold them on the idea.....

They won't be. The controllers are a signficant part of the manufacturing. Not only can they not make them nearly as fast as a regular controller due to this, if they sell it normal controller markup the thing will be over 100 dollars. Also not selling it at retail at first makes sure people don't buy the thing thinking its a revision

So what do you do when you accidentally step on it, or throw it out of Ninja Gaiden frustration?

Kiryu

I do think Nintendoland is going to be standalone game since Nintendo putted their own Nintendo name on the game. It does tell me that they put a lot of effort in this name and want to sell it good.

Tenck

So freggin true.
Hey, Nintendo, what's that hiding behind the controller?
Oh, that's nothing. Pay no attention to that.

And Nintendoland still may be a pack-in. They can still advertise it separately. It's not like it's free really.

Attention being put on the controller is surprising how?

Kacho

I can't believe that Nintendo will not include an experience to introduce people to the Wii U controller, like they did with Wii Sports. I just can't imagine it. Though, some have said there is a Wii Sports 2?

We don't know that they won't as of yet. Wait and see I say.

I hope they also advertise Lego City and other games they just publish. But seeing the promotional stuff starting to roll in, feels really good.

Its coming guys. :)

Yagharek

Maybe there will be digital or preinstalled stuff like on 3ds. Still need details coming in September or so.

7threst

Ok... well that's a surprise for me at least.

Why is everyone thinking Nintendoland will be sold separately? They advertised Wii Sports as well.

It has to be bundled.

ASIS

Wii = white. I don't care what anyone says white for life. (my 14 year old self would be so disappointed in me right now :p).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thank god (EC) for the new thread.
Can I ask again a question?
Did anybody notice that the Nintendo Land promo material shows just the already announced 5 activities/minigames/attractions?
We know that there will be more (12?) and we already saw the related icon plus a Fzero screenshot, but why do you think they printed the PoP material with just those already shown games?
Will the other addictional activities be added later (as DLC maybe, or something like the 3ds puzzles)?

Ryoku

"Wii would like you to play"

By the way, how early did Nintendo begin advertising at retailers before the Wii released?

MisterHero

If NintendoLand is included, it would still suck if a Wiimote+ wasn't. The game depends on it heavilly, if not more than the Pad.

Even the Wii didn't have out-of-the-box 2-player.

MisterHero

Thank god (EC) for the new thread.
Can I ask again a question?
Did anybody notice that the Nintendo Land promo material shows just the already announced 5 activities/minigames/attractions?
We know that there will be more (12?) and we already saw the related icon plus a Fzero screenshot, but why do you think they printed the PoP material with just those already shown games?
Will the other addictional activities be added later (as DLC maybe, or something like the 3ds puzzles)?
No, there's other games. IIRC those 5 are the only ones Nintendo has officially publicized.

Top Bottom