• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

Had someone recommend the same one to me just now on another forum so seems like a good way to go. Won't be able to buy it till next paycheck so I hope the price stays right.

Just be aware it only has one component video input. That could be a barrier for some.

Het_Nkik

Just be aware it only has one component video input. That could be a barrier for some.

If I were to run component directly to my TV but the sound through the receiver, would there be any noticeable lag between the picture and sound?

This is how I do component video w/stereo (Pro Logic II) sound on my current old ass receiver since it doesn't even have component inputs.

DjRoomba

Banned
Yes, of course. As long as your speakers don't distort the sound, you should clearly hear the difference. You don't have to be an AV nut to see the difference between DVD and BD. Likewise with hearing the improvement with HD sound. Can you tell the difference between a low bit rate mp3 and a CD?

I am in no way an audiophile. I have a lower model Pioneer receiver, Mordant Short speakers and Audio Pro sub. Bought them about 18 months ago for under AU$2k, although the same models are much cheaper now. The step up from my previous 6-year-old HTiB for DD/DTS 5.1 was staggering. And then being able to enjoy HD sound was another level up again. I could have saved money by buying an older receiver that didn't have HDMI, but I wanted HD sound and to future proof my purchase for the foreseeable future.

The lossless HD audio that the next gen will have is going to be awesome. It's already there for movies, and I can't wait for gaming to finally catch up. Totally worth the upgrade if you're still rocking DD/DTS receivers.

dude what are you talkin bout, hd sound. The hell is that? Optical cable is known to have BETTER sound quality than hdmi. And with PAL dvds, there is little difference between dvd and blu ray. Especially if your dvd player is able to 'up-res' to 1080p (which ps3 and xbox will do automaticaly), which believe it or not actually works

If I were to run component directly to my TV but the sound through the receiver, would there be any noticeable lag between the picture and sound?

This is how I do component video w/stereo (Pro Logic II) sound on my current old ass receiver since it doesn't even have component inputs.

There is always a possibility of lag, but it's very likely you won't see it.

dude what are you talkin bout, hd sound. The hell is that? Optical cable is known to have BETTER sound quality than hdmi. And with PAL dvds, there is little difference between dvd and blu ray. Especially if your dvd player is able to 'up-res' to 1080p (which ps3 and xbox will do automaticaly), which believe it or not actually works

What? Joke post?

CLEEK

You would get lag. How much depends on your TV and receiver.

The audio lag when using my HTiB as a make shift receiver drove me nuts, and was the main reason I upgraded.

Oh boy.

Teletraan1

Banned
Now if a Wii U was included in that price......

Buy a new receiver OR buy a Wii U, hmmmm

I am choosing a receiver. I will get a Wii U down the road.

There are going to be a lot of pissed off people who don't even realize that they will just be getting stereo after having surround sound since the PS2. I have been constantly told I was part of some small minority. I am genuinely interested to see what kind of response people have to this after purchase.

gamingeek

So I'm no audiophile, but some friends were wondering about this issue.

I did some reading, from what I understand Wii U uses Uncompressed 6-Channel PCM which will only run on a high bandwidth HDMI cable.

It can't run on optical or coaxial because those cables do not have the bandwidth and Wii U does not compress the audio signal right?

So I did some more reading which was talking about getting linear PCM from Bluray discs to your older receiver and it said that there is a way to receive lossless PCM to a sound receiver without an HDMI input.

For older receivers you need a Multichannel Analog cable and run the sound in Bitstream.

The info says "In order to utilize Linear PCM through HDMI your Player must be able to decode the formats Internally."

Linear PCM is used when the audio is decoded inside the Player first, and then sent to the Receiver.

So the Wii U must be decoding the audio for HDMI PCM so it could support the decoding of analog linear PCM audio output too? This is the official line from Nintendo:

"Wii U uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI port, or analogue output via the AV Multi Out connector."

So it's possible that the AV Multi Out connector could support analogue Linear PCM and you would get lossless Wii U audio? Basically wait and see if there is a Wii U multi-channel analogue cable released. Check the back of your system.

multi_in.jpg

If it has something like this you should be okay?

The stuff I read said you just use RCA cables, so a wii u custom cable with RCA connectors could work for people with older receivers?

So I'm no audiophile, but some friends were wondering about this issue.

I did some reading, from what I understand Wii U uses Uncompressed 6-Channel PCM which will only run on a high bandwidth HDMI cable.

It can't run on optical or coaxial because those cables do not have the bandwidth and Wii U does not compress the audio signal right?

So I did some more reading which was talking about getting linear PCM from Bluray discs to your older receiver and it said that there is a way to receive lossless PCM to a sound receiver without an HDMI input.

For older receivers you need a Multichannel Analog cable and run the sound in Bitstream.

The info says "In order to utilize Linear PCM through HDMI your Player must be able to decode the formats Internally."

Linear PCM is used when the audio is decoded inside the Player first, and then sent to the Receiver.

So the Wii U must be decoding the audio for HDMI PCM so it could support the decoding of analog linear PCM audio output too? This is the official line from Nintendo:

"Wii U uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI port, or analogue output via the AV Multi Out connector."

So it's possible that the AV Multi Out connector could support analogue Linear PCM and you would get lossless Wii U audio? Basically wait and see if there is a Wii U multi-channel analogue cable released. Check the back of your system.

multi_in.jpg

If it has something like this you should be okay?

The stuff I read said you just use RCA cables, so a wii u custom cable with RCA connectors could work for people with older receivers?

No, you would have to have a device that also has multi channel audio outputs. If you have a receiver or surround sound system that doesnt have HDMI you are out of luck.

To clarify the only analog output the Wii U and many other electronic devices have is just stereo output (2 channel).

Kato

I, eh, what?

MCD

> No mic port in Pro controller

> No optical support

> Your $200+ headset/astro mixamp won't do you shit

Pretty fucked up situation here.

King_Moc

Banned

Superb.

Yea I don't know. The Wii U not having an optical output or at the very least Dolby Digital support is dumb and cheap, but in no way does optical carry better sound than HDMI.

"My lossless digital signal is better than your lossless digital signal. So there."

Well, that's what i took from it, anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi there!

I don't have any vested interest in this thread, and I'll deal with whatever options the Wii U has available, but I just wanted to pop in and mention that this post is absolute batshit lunacy!

Cheers! :D
Yea I don't know. The Wii U not having an optical output or at the very least Dolby Digital support is dumb and cheap, but in no way does optical carry better sound than HDMI.
Come on! That was like the least egregious bit in there! How about "little difference between dvd and blu ray"? Your "dvd player being able to up-res to 1080p"? PS3 and Xbox doing this automatically?

It's a masterpiece.

gamingeek

No, you would have to have a device that also has multi channel audio outputs.

To clarify the only analog output the Wii U and many other electronic devices have is just stereo output (2 channel).

This is the only statement I have seen on Wii U's audio output:

Has it been said somewhere that the Wii U only outputs 2 channel? The statement above doesn't specify that.

I've looked at 13 plus articles now and nowhere does it state that the analog output is only 2 channel, where did you read this can you show me? I keep coming up with that statement above again and again.

If Wii U uses Linear PCM the audio is decoded inside the system first, so if the AV Multi Out connector gets a RCA multi-out cable, it could be possible?

If it only outputs 2 channel like you say could this be changed with something like firmware updates or is it an unchangeable hardware feature?

Septimius

But wifi lags as hell, and is bad for your health

Both are pretty bad statements. Wifi can have random 1 second lags, and you're susceptible if there's a microwave between you and your access point. Nothing points to WiFi being hazardous in any sort of way.

madmackem

> No mic port in Pro controller

> No optical support

> Your $200+ headset/astro mixamp won't do you shit

Pretty fucked up situation here.

If you have issues then dont buy it, its pretty simple. Those things wont effect most people i doubt many people have expensive headsets and most will be using the gamepad, as for not optical most people use the in box cables they dont even know what optical is, we are differrent on here but account for little in the grand scheme of things.

Can someone give me an advice for a decent (but not too expensive) 2.1 sound system. Since I live in an apartment and I can't really turn up the volume all that much, a 2.1 system is more than enough for me.
I used to use my old Grundig HDTV which had amazing speakers with great bass and volume, but my new Samsung has very flat and cheap sounding speakers.

I don't really want to go for a 5.1 system as it is neither in my budget nor is it an option given my apartment situation.
I just want a system that has clean sound, good bass and doesn't break my bank.

Septimius

Yes, "HD sound" makes no sense.

Optical cable having better sound quality than HDMI? Are you aware that they both can transfer the exact same digital information, which is in all cases decoded at the other end? So that is not a true statement. Then we have to move on to Blu-ray being comparable with DVDs that are up-scaled. You know that you're making less sense than 'HD sound' now, right?

Hanmik

Can someone give me an advice for a decent (but not too expensive) 2.1 sound system. Since I live in an apartment and I can't really turn up the volume all that much, a 2.1 system is more than enough for me.
I volume, but used to use my old Grundig HDTV which had amazing speakers with great bass andmy new Samsung has very flat and cheap sounding speakers.

I don't really want to go for a 5.1 system as it is neither in my budget nor is it an option given my apartment situation.
I just want a system that has clean sound, good bass and doesn't break my bank.

this:::??

grundig-Xentia-serie.jpg

this:::??

grundig-Xentia-serie.jpg

No it was a Vision II 32" from 2006

hRXU4.jpg

The speakers on that one were honestly the best ones I've ever heard on a TV. Given it was quite a "fat" TV, and the housing and huge bezel made it possible to have a great resonance body for the speakers.
The new Samsung TVs are way too flimsy to really create a good sounding bass.

just a quick question. i'm not expecting to buy anything for a couple of months, but i had saved the following as a solution to the Wii U surround sound problem, as i saw it recommended in this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077V88ZE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

that was before the big debate about HTIB having audio sync issues, etc. is that still a good buy for gaming? if not, considering i don't have appropriate speakers already (my HDTV is hooked up to a pretty nice Logitech PC speaker system which lacks inputs but does a good job of 5.1 DTS/DD overall) can i expect to do better for $400?

i'm not a massive audiophile, but i like surround sound and i don't like noticeable audio lag. i just need to know what to budget for.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
just a quick question. i'm not expecting to buy anything for a couple of months, but i had saved the following as a solution to the Wii U surround sound problem, as i saw it recommended in this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077V88ZE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

that was before the big debate about HTIB having audio sync issues, etc. is that still a good buy for gaming? if not, considering i don't have appropriate speakers already (my HDTV is hooked up to a pretty nice Logitech PC speaker system which lacks inputs but does a good job of 5.1 DTS/DD overall) can i expect to do better for $400?

i'm not a massive audiophile, but i like surround sound and i don't like noticeable audio lag. i just need to know what to budget for.
I'm absolutely not an audiophile and cutting my own speaker wire to set that up was the most complex thing I've ever done in terms of surround sound, but that's my system. I'm thrilled (stunned really) with the performance for the price and while it needed plenty of tweaking at first (the Audyssey stuff really helpd me, :-x don't kill me), its day to day clarity and power are amazing. Beats the crap out of the smaller movie theaters around me, in my uneducated opinion.

I have noticed that that Onkyo htib has a couple of features (like an OSD overlay) that are pretty much un-heard of in that price range.

Hanmik

No it was a Vision II 32" from 2006

hRXU4.jpg

The speakers on that one were honestly the best ones I've ever heard on a TV. Given it was quite a "fat" TV, and the housing and huge bezel made it possible to have a great resonance body for the speakers.
The new Samsung TVs are way too flimsy to really create a good sounding bass.

ahh I have two of the one I linked to. It´s a great 37" tv. I have one in my bedroom and one in my living room. The sound is the best part about them, I really want a new tv, but sound is a problem, when I´m used to the grundig.

sorry for going a bit offtopic here..

I'm absolutely not an audiophile and cutting my own speaker wire to set that up was the most complex thing I've ever done in terms of surround sound, but that's my system. I'm thrilled (stunned really) with the performance for the price and while it needed plenty of tweaking at first (the Audyssey stuff really helpd me, :-x don't kill me), its day to day clarity and power are amazing. Beats the crap out of the smaller movie theaters around me, in my uneducated opinion.

I have noticed that that Onkyo htib has a couple of features (like an OSD overlay) that are pretty much un-heard of in that price range.
so audio lag / sync issues aren't a big problem with it? i care more about that than clarity and power if i'm honest. i like how many inputs this has. i like the price. i like that it has 3D pass through (because I need that). i'm not upset to hear it's great value, and has good power/clarity for the price, but audio lag is my biggest concern after the last few pages in here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
so audio lag / sync issues aren't a big problem with it? i care more about that than clarity and power if i'm honest. i like how many inputs this has. i like the price. i like that it has 3D pass through (because I need that). i'm not upset to hear it's great value, and has good power/clarity for the price, but audio lag is my biggest concern after the last few pages in here.
Sorry, I didn't mention that just because I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak to it. I've hooked up to it a PS3, which I use for gaming, watching blu-rays, and streaming 1080p content from my PC (PS3 Media Sever), and a Wii (with a HDMI converter box), and I haven't noticed any audio lag or desync whatsoever unless there was an actual source issue. I really can't say how much there is or anything like that, as from my perspective being able to successfully play Rock Band means everything is synced :p

HD sound is a real thing though. It often refers to uncompressed/lossless audio formats such as Linear PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS-MA HD.

Optical cable having better sound quality than HDMI? Are you aware that they both can transfer the exact same digital information, which is in all cases decoded at the other end? So that is not a true statement.

It's not true that optical has better sound quality than HDMI but what you said isn't true either. They both can't transfer the same exact digital information. Optical has less bandwidth so HDMI can actually have better sound quality over optical because of the higher bandwidth. HDMI is better for audio.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
HD sound is a real thing though. It often refers to uncompressed/lossless audio formats such as Linear PCM, Dolby True HD, and DTS-MA HD.

It's not true that optical has better sound quality than HDMI but what you said isn't true either. They both can't transfer the same exact digital information. Optical has less bandwidth so HDMI can actually have better sound quality over optical because of the higher bandwidth. HDMI is better for audio.
Was just about to field this one myself.

Marty is right on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Echoing the above two, while a bit of a catch-all, HD sound is absolutely a legitimate term. That post was all kinds of crazy.

Come on! That was like the least egregious bit in there! How about "little difference between dvd and blu ray"? Your "dvd player being able to up-res to 1080p"? PS3 and Xbox doing this automatically?

It's a masterpiece.

I honestly stopped reading after the Optical>HDMI part lol

This is the only statement I have seen on Wii U's audio output:

Has it been said somewhere that the Wii U only outputs 2 channel? The statement above doesn't specify that.

I've looked at 13 plus articles now and nowhere does it state that the analog output is only 2 channel, where did you read this can you show me? I keep coming up with that statement above again and again.

If Wii U uses Linear PCM the audio is decoded inside the system first, so if the AV Multi Out connector gets a RCA multi-out cable, it could be possible?

If it only outputs 2 channel like you say could this be changed with something like firmware updates or is it an unchangeable hardware feature?

AV Multi Output is a simple way of saying a single port that output analog video and stereo audio (2 channel). It is called the same on the Wii.

From Nintendo's official site for the existing Wii. http://www.nintendo.com/wii/what-is-wii/#/tech-specs

Video Output Features

An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

DjRoomba

Banned

Optical cable having better sound quality than HDMI? Are you aware that they both can transfer the exact same digital information, which is in all cases decoded at the other end? So that is not a true statement. Then we have to move on to Blu-ray being comparable with DVDs that are up-scaled. You know that you're making less sense than 'HD sound' now, right?

Hey, believe it or not its true. Australians, back me up. Like I said, US dvds are much lower quality so its different there

mclem

Hey, believe it or not its true. Australians, back me up. Like I said, US dvds are much lower quality so its different there

Yeah, the UK uses PAL too, and while it's higher resolution than NTSC (which I *think* is what's behind your statement)... you're still very, very wrong.

DjRoomba

Banned
Am not :p I swear to god there is no difference playing a dvd with all the enhancement shit on on your ps3 or xbox or actual dvd player and a blu ray. The proof is with my own eyes. Actually the only difference Ive noticed with blu ray is that shit moves at a different speed. Like less frames per second or something.

Am not :p I swear to god there is no difference playing a dvd with all the enhancement shit on on your ps3 or xbox or actual dvd player and a blu ray. The proof is with my own eyes. Actually the only difference Ive noticed with blu ray is that shit moves at a different speed. Like less frames per second or something.

What size TV do you have and how far away do you sit? serious question

What size TV do you have and how far away do you sit? serious question

And also do you have perfect 20/20 vision or glasses? If not, then you may not notice a difference between DVD and Bluray.

As far as Blurays being slower than PAL DVDs its because PAL DVDs are fucked because they run at faster than normal speed.

Turok_TTZ

Random question but is there any reason as to why Nintendo does not support vorbis or flac? Are they both not free formats?

see5harp

You are crazy.

DjRoomba

Banned
I have seen blu rays on other tvs besides my own which is a big tv and have pretty good eyesight. seriously try it for yourself. Or research this or something. Its no bullshit what im sayin.

Roo

Dude are you serious?
hLoiB.gif

see5harp

The same reason there's no optical audio: not enough people use it to warrant the R&D.

Agreed that they are both super niche formats. I think a lot more people use optical because of how many ultra cheap all in one systems, headsets, and PC speaker setups are still used, so that is a bit crazier that Nintendo is leaving that out. Still, FLAC is more common than something like MKV support. No studio even sells content in that format.

Top Bottom