• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - No optical audio connector? Nintendo. Fix this!!

gamingeek

The problem with those cables is that on one end you have a digital signal and it somehow magically converts to analog by the time it reaches the other end. Like the person you quoted said in order to achieve such a conversion you would need an external box that is powered to convert an incoming digital signal to analog. If this sounds familiar it should. The switch from analog to digital signal for tv broadcast required a converter box to do a similar conversion, and similarily no cable on it's own could achieve the result. Because it's impossible.

So all those cables, none of them actually work?

Oh, how I wish I could rearrange the preferred order of sound signals on the PS3.

Many DTS supported games default to DD if both are active, and many DD only game default to Dolby Pro Logic 2 if DD is not active, having to turn on and off sound options before starting every single game to get the best sound is annoying.
That isn't too much of an issue as long as devs put the choice in the sound options for the game, as in Uncharted for example.

Teletraan1

Banned
I can't believe there are 20 pages of "discussion" about a missing optical port which wouldn't even function since it does not have software support.

If you read any of the "discussion" a lot of the posts wanted to change the title of the thread to reflect what is being discussed here. The main "discussion" is that you wont be getting multichannel surround sound out of a Wii U unless you have a HDMI receiver or an expensive decoder that costs a similar amount as an entry level receiver. This is a fact that many buyers wont realize until they get home since every other device on the planet that offers multichannel surround has various output options for multichannel surround so it is not a barrier to purchase for anyone.

I don't really care about the sound quality difference between LPCM and DD5.1 or DTS, I only want directional audio in a 3d game. I could not imagine playing something like Dark Souls in Stereo.

Zing

Banned
I have trouble believing that someone would think a Nintendo product had an optical output. I'm surprised it even offers HDMI.

WiCkEd_Co

I must figure some way out to rig this to my PX5's, Even if it's just stereo sound and then trying to get voice chat to play nice just makes my hair fall out thinking about it.

netBuff

I'm surprised it even does 3D graphics.

/s

Yeah, next you'll be telling us Nintendo won't even have analogue triggers! Haha!

I must figure some way out to rig this to my PX5's, Even if it's just stereo sound and then trying to get voice chat to play nice just makes my hair fall out thinking about it.

I'm in a similar boat (Astro Mixamp) as you are - luckily I don't care about voice chat as I always use Skype when playing with mates. Stereo audio I'll get via the Cinch connectors the AV Cable provides.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not terribly knowledgable about these things.
I recently ditched a mid-2000s entry level Panny HTiB for an Onkyo TX-NR616 and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. My PS3 and 360 are hooked up via HDMI for both video and audio.

Am I good to go re: the Wii-U?

netBuff

I recently ditched a mid-2000s entry level Panny HTiB for an Onkyo TX-NR616 and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. My PS3 and 360 are hooked up via HDMI for both video and audio.

You are golden, the Wii U will output Linear PCM 5.1 (like the PS3 does when set up correctly) via HDMI which provides the best possible audio quality.

You're good.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You are golden, the Wii U will output Linear PCM 5.1 (like the PS3 does when set up correctly) via HDMI which provides the best possible audio quality.

Thank you both for the confirmation. :)
Regarding proper PS3 set up, what should I be looking at in my settings?

Turrican3

What about the Dolby Digital logo spotted here?

Is this really a confirmation that WiiU's audio output is not limited to LPCM-only as previously thought?

Pooya

I'm thinking it could depend on developers whether they want to support or not and the system itself only supports LPCM. the Tekken box has no logo on the back for example. Maybe this way licensing fee is transfered to the publisher or something like that. Press has the console now, we will find out when reviews come out I imagine and system menus.

Turrican3

That's interesting: you mean it could just be a software thing?

If that's the case, I wonder if the DSP that is supposedly (not sure if it is confirmed, I guess not?) included might help by reducing CPU overload.

Datschge

That's interesting: you mean it could just be a software thing?

If that's the case, I wonder if the DSP that is supposedly (not sure if it is confirmed, I guess not?) included might help by reducing CPU overload.

It's definitely software based, similarly to how Dolby Pro Logic was done on GC/Wii. To what extend the DSP can help processing it depends on what extend it's programmable. It certainly won't be able to encode anything Dolby without any developer effort since that would mean Nintendo has to pay additional license fees for each hardware unit which is exactly what they try to avoid so hard.

Foxix Von

Deband

If you only need to switch between 2 HDMI sources you could go the cheap route and use what I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelican-XBo...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item336d43af25

It's affordable and will automatically switch between inputs.

Not sure that would work. Right now the one HDMI on the box connects to the TV, if I plug the Wii U in then nothing is connected to the TV. Think I need to connect the Wii U with HDMI and then use another type of connection for DVD player to TV. But It won't be HD then..

Pezking

I just read in the release day thread that if you use HDMI, the other port is turned off. So you can't send the video signal via HDMI to the TV and send at least a stereo signal to an older AV-Receiver for Pro-Logic sound at the same time.

Can anyone else confirm this? That would be pretty horrible...

I just read in the release day thread that if you use HDMI, the other port is turned off. So you can't send the video signal via HDMI to the TV and send at least a stereo signal to an older AV-Receiver for Pro-Logic sound at the same time.

I hope it isn't true. I'm a poor grad student with only a monitor (with no speakers) for my laptop. I can't be buying a tv. Although I heard using the headphone jack you get all the sounds

bryehn

Yeah it's true. You also can't enable ProLogic or Digital without using HDMI for audio.

Pooya

You can still just use analog audio outs on the TV? they usually have that or optical. Using a monitor that doesn't have speakers or audio out is a no go though now.

Pezking

That's awful. :-(

Does the Wii U support component video?
Would that be a solution for 1080p video and Pro-Logic-Sound at the same time?

And regarding the headphone jack...what sound format would that send to my good old Denon AVR-1603?

I'm not going to change my receiver for a WiiU (hell, I'm really not sure when/if I'll get one) but I was looking at what I could replace my Denon 2106 with and though there is a 2113, the Yamaha RX-V673 looks pretty awesome. Anyone has one or listened to one?

Wow, that would really suck.

Pooya

That's awful. :-(

Does the Wii U support component video?
Would that be a solution for 1080p video and Pro-Logic-Sound at the same time?

And regarding the headphone jack...what sound format would that send to my good old Denon AVR-1603?

according to the manual http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/wiiu_quickstart_guide_en.pdf

it does support component but for HD resolution it doesn't say, I'd guess not.

I'd really like it if someone can take a pic from audio/display settings options, there are none I can find.

Pezking

You can still just use analog audio outs on the TV? they usually have that or optical. Using a monitor that doesn't have speakers or audio out is a no go though now.

My TV (Sony KDL-46EX500) has optical out. Could I at least send a stereo signal from the Wii-U to my AV-Receiver that way?

Sinnick

I'm not an expert on home theater setup, so I'm a bit confused. Why is there a mini-uproar about this especially among forum goers who I assume tend invest more in getting the latest & greatest PC & home theater equipment?

With the Wii U, I ran the HDMI cable from the console to the TV and a digital cable from the TV to my receiver. My receiver is around 10 years old, so I'm guessing most folks could set things up in a similar way. What am I missing out on by connecting the components like this?

Pooya

With the Wii U, I ran the HDMI cable from the console to the TV and a digital cable from the TV to my receiver. My receiver is around 10 years old, so I'm guessing most folks could set things up in a similar way. What am I missing out on by connecting the components like this?

You are getting stereo sound or Dolby Prologic II, not 6 channel audio. that's the problem.

I'm not an expert on home theater setup, so I'm a bit confused. Why is there a mini-uproar about this especially among forum goers who I assume tend invest more in getting the latest & greatest PC & home theater equipment?

Chances are your TV downmixes the sound signal to stereo.

Pezking

Giant Bomb is playing in 720p over component. I'm sure it supports 1080p over component, but most TVs do not.

My tv does support 1080p over component.

O.k., so I have two options:

1.) 1080p video via HDMI + optical stereo from the TV to the AV receiver
2.) 1080p video via component + stereo via cinch from the Wii u to the AV receiver

Pooya

My tv does support 1080p over component.

O.k., so I have two options:

1.) 1080p video via HDMI + optical stereo from the TV to the AV receiver
2.) 1080p video via component + stereo via cinch from the Wii u to the AV receiver

I say go with (1) because picture quality beats what you get from analog way.

This is fucking me over because I output HDMI to projector, optical to (non HDMI) AV receiver.

So can I at least plug headphones into the gamepad? That should work right?

netBuff

Nintendo needs to fix this pronto: I'm able to accept the lack of the hugely useful TOSLINK connector, but not allowing HDMI picture with Multi AV (Cinch) Audio out at the same time (like PS3 and 360) is a huge disappointment. I expected this standard mode of operation to work - guess now it's clear why Nintendo never mentioned any setup specifics.

I'm not getting a new receiver for a console that, at this point, has all of two games worth playing (and with my headphone system a new AV receiver would complicate my setup significantly).

netBuff

Again, anyone tried one of these with optical/coax yet to see the outcome? I guess if there's no DD/DTS on the HDMI signal, it probably won't work at all right? I mean to say, no audio will be passed to the older receivers at all.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

The Wii U doesn't support DD 5.1 or DTS encoding, which is necessary for 5.1 surround via TOSLINK. With such a box, you would get stereo (maybe Dolby Pro Logic 2) via the optical or coaxial port.

pestul

The Wii U doesn't support DD 5.1 or DTS encoding, which is necessary for 5.1 surround via TOSLINK. With such a box, you would get stereo (maybe Dolby Pro Logic 2) via the optical or coaxial port.

Well, HDMI through a TV would process the sound to stereo/dpl, but I don't think the switch even tries to convert audio and rather attempts to pass a raw signal through. That's why I'm wondering what toslink would do, since it probably can't even handle the signal bandwidth.

I bought one because I needed more hdmi inputs anyway, so I'll be able to test it out soon.

pestul

HDMI 7.1 PCM user right here! Upgrade your damn home theater hardware folks!

Wii U doesn't support 7.1.

Anyway, the omnidirectional speakers I'm using are awesome, so I don't want to change them. At least they're 6ohm, so I should be able to get them to work with a good modern receiver.. but that will have to come down the road as the wife would kill me.

Top Bottom