• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audio lag on Xbox Series X - it’s seriously annoying!

NinjaBoiX

So I’ve heard of issues with Series S/X having audio lag with Dolby Atmos and such, but I seem to just have audio lag issues even just with vanilla stereo through my TV.

Like, 7-8 times out of 10 I’ll have audio lag, to varying degrees, which somehow makes it even more annoying! It’s got to the point where I’ll just reset my Xbox by default as soon as I switch it on, as this seems to fix it.

And no, I’m not using standby mode, as I thought that was the culprit initially.

Anyone else experience this?

Any known fixes?

UPDATE: I set the HDMI pass through to “yes” and that seemed to solve it. Even though it’s not “passing through” anything…🤷🏼‍♂️

It also still comes up with “DTS Surround” at the top of the screen on start-up, even though I have the Xbox set to Stereo. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't experienced perceptible audio lag through TV speakers or headphones. I don't really do Atmos content though.

Kacho

I've had issues with crackling audio on Xbox One, One X and Series X. It completely ruins the experience and the only way to fix it is to do a hard reset. It always comes back eventually though.

This may be a dick statement but I really don't think its due to the Xbox.

- channelling a few questions others are probably thinking of...

Are you definitely using TV audio i.e. no sounder present or audio system? What is the TV make and model? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the console? Can you confirm which HDMI port you are connected to? Can you screenshot your TV and Xbox audio settings menu?

anthony2690

Banned
Came in here, expecting an Xbox DVR thread, as that is absolutely awful for me sometimes regarding audio :l

Definitely an area that Xbox can massively improve upon in my opinion.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This may be a dick statement but I really don't think its due to the Xbox.

- channelling a few questions others are probably thinking of...

Are you definitely using TV audio i.e. no sounder present or audio system? What is the TV make and model? Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the console? Can you confirm which HDMI port you are connected to? Can you screenshot your TV and Xbox audio settings menu?
This. No issues with eARC set to Auto

Mister Wolf

So I’ve heard of issues with Series S/X having audio lag with Dolby Atmos and such, but I seem to just have audio lag issues even just with vanilla stereo through my TV.

Like, 7-8 times out of 10 I’ll have audio lag, to varying degrees, which somehow makes it even more annoying! It’s got to the point where I’ll just reset my Xbox by default as soon as I switch it on, as this seems to fix it.

And no, I’m not using standby mode, as I thought that was the culprit initially.

Anyone else experience this?

Any known fixes?

Are you using pass-through on your TV's audio? If not you should be when using a sound system or soundbar.

cormack12

Gold Member
Have you tried.....listening faster?

c82f1b89d527b9a684ad544933463d7e.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dolby in general is notorious for audio lag on almost everything it's on over HDMI. Not just Windows/Xbox.

It's why I switched to DTS this gen for a lot of games since it's just as punchy now with the bass (never used to be last gen) and syncs up much better over HDMI.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Any example how it’s easy to notice?
I do use an AVR with Atmos but never noticed any delay.
It’s most easily noticed when watching content, the lip syncing is out, sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes a lot.

It’s weird!
Yes, this isn't a blame xbox problem, more likely settings and or the receiving equipment.
OK, great! So any ideas what options I might need to tweak given my set up? (Post 17)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not sure what people mean by “pass through”, but the tv is a Sony KDL-32WD756 connected via HDMI 1, and I’ve got separate speakers plugged into the headphone out.

I have no such issues with my PS5 (HDMI 2) using exactly the same set up.

What is eARC?
See if there is an "HDMI Passthrough" option in the audio settings, and if so, set it to 'on' or 'auto'.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not sure if related, but when playing through the original Saints Row recently, the audio would cut out for a few seconds. Seemed to happen once per play session.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I missed this before, thanks!

OK, I’ll have a look.

But I think I’ve set it to Game mode and that doesn’t seem to let you tweak any settings. I’ll have a fiddle and see why I come up with!
It should be under 'audio' or 'inputs' if your TV has that setting. Those can still be changed on Game Mode.

MacReady13

I experience audio lag. Niticable on TMNT collection especially. Playing on my 4K Sony through tv speakers. Very annoying.

Also, I have a 2tb ssd on the console for Series X games (the type that sits in the expansion slot on the back of the console). Every now and again the console won't connect to the net claiming I am hard wired without a connection even though I connect via wi-fi! If I click to reconnect via wi-fi it says I can't as I have the console plugged into the net!
A fix for this is to turn off the console, remove the hard drive from the console, start her up again and it should connect via wi-fi THEN put that ssd back in and you're good to go!

Hell of a console the Series X is.

1) Both the TV and Soundbar must support eARC, the sound bar must be plugged into the correct eARC port in the TV. (if your soundbar does not support eARC, you're shit out of luck I'm afraid)
2) TV sound setting must be set to passthrough

Step 2 specifically fixed the problem for me. all that atmos glory, none of the delay. it's glorious.

Last edited:

Beechos

Well to isolate it quick connect your xbox to your tv and hear the sound over the tv speakers is it delayed there? If theres no delay its some sort of setting/processing/relay issue.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

If you're using your speakers through the headphones out (you REALLY NEED to confirm that), try to disable the surround processing in the audio settings. Better thab that, send us some pictures of your tv's sound menu. Probably you're using some kind of processing (that's unnecessary given your description) that's adding some delay to the audio. If you're really using the headphones jack to output to your sound system, the HDMI pass-through will not have any effect to you. In fact, you will need the processing from the TV DAC, but it needs to be the minimum amount possible. Your speaker is a 2.0 or 2.1 setup? Or, maybe, a 5.1 mirrored from a 2.0 cable?

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Yes, I’m using the headphone out jack for the speakers.

Thanks for all the input guys, I’m working away at the moment so won’t get the chance to try your suggestions for a few days but I’ll report back with findings!

FrankieSab

Not sure what people mean by “pass through”, but the tv is a Sony KDL-32WD756 connected via HDMI 1, and I’ve got separate speakers plugged into the headphone out.

I have no such issues with my PS5 (HDMI 2) using exactly the same set up.

What is eARC?
The PS5 does not support an advanced sound mode so eArc is not needed, Arc is sufficient. So it's normal that you do not have the same issues. Make sure that eArc mode is on first, it was not the default on my LG TV.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The PS5 does not export an advanced sound mode so eArc is not needed, Arc is sufficient. So it's normal that you do not have the same issues. Make sure that eArc mode is on first, it was not the default on my LG TV.
futurama-good-news-everyone.gif

The TV seems to be only ARC.
HDMI IN 1 (ARC), HDMI IN 2
HDMI Video: 1080p(30, 50, 60 Hz), 1080/24p,
1080i(50, 60 Hz), 720p(30, 50, 60 Hz), 720/24p,
576p, 576i, 480p, 480i
PC input:
(Resolution, Horizontal frequency, Vertical
frequency)
640 × 480, 31.5 kHz, 60 Hz
800 × 600, 37.9 kHz, 60 Hz
1,024 × 768, 48.4 kHz, 60 Hz
1,280 × 768, 47.4 kHz, 60 Hz
1,280 × 768, 47.8 kHz, 60 Hz
1,360 × 768, 47.7 kHz, 60 Hz
1,280 × 1,024, 64.0 kHz, 60 Hz
* 1,920 × 1,080, 67.5 kHz, 60 Hz
* The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI
input will be treated as a video timing and not PC
timing.
Audio: Two channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1 and
48 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby
Digital Plus, DTS
ARC (Audio Return Channel) (HDMI IN 1 only)
PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) *5
Two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS
AUDIO OUT /  (Stereo mini jack)
Headphone, Audio output, Subwoofer

marquimvfs

ARC is not even needed, nor is having any effect on his system. He's not outputting any audio though HDMI, he's outputting ANALOG AUDIO through his tv headset jack. My guess it's that the tv's surround processing is messing with his audio timings. He should disable that and see. That's why he should send a picture of his tv audio menu, so we can see how those options are presented there.

jaysius

Banned
Yes, I’m using the headphone out jack for the speakers.

Thanks for all the input guys, I’m working away at the moment so won’t get the chance to try your suggestions for a few days but I’ll report back with findings!
You are 100% never getting Dolby Atmos with that hilarious sad setup, you‘ll only ever get STEREO out of that setup no matter what hdmi port you’re using. If you ever think you’re getting Dolby Atmos effect from them it’s purely placebo, your Xbox is using arc to send Dolby digital to your tv is only transferring Dolby digital to your speakers and it’s turning into 2.0 of a lower quality.

You‘d get a Dolby Atmos signal if you bought the codec and plugged those speakers into your Xbox controller, but don’t do that, I’m not sure what would even happen.

Get a sound bar, or just save for a new tv or get GOOD HEADPHONES and plug them into the Xbox controller. TVs from the past 2 years have amazing speakers if you get a decent tier. Using speakers though a 3.5mm jack is awful, the speakers themselves are probably low quality too.

Next time you make a post looking for technical help PLEASE describe your setup, it would’ve saved so many people’s time.

EDIT: You can plug those speakers into your controller, this would be awful, but give you better audio…maybe, if you wanted to buy the Dolby Atmos codec... I really don’t know, this is awful and advice though.

Last edited:

ren008

Neo Member
Earc/arc is still riddled with issues related to compatibility and lag with no end in sight. Stupidest thing they ever did was get rid of the optical port to save a buck or two.

S0ULZB0URNE

I've had issues with crackling audio on Xbox One, One X and Series X. It completely ruins the experience and the only way to fix it is to do a hard reset. It always comes back eventually though.
^This.... with Bluetooth headsets.

Switched to non-bluetooth headset and it fixed it.

marquimvfs

You are 100% never getting Dolby Atmos with that hilarious sad setup, you‘ll only ever get STEREO out of that setup no matter what hdmi port you’re using. If you ever think you’re getting Dolby Atmos effect from them it’s purely placebo, your Xbox is using arc to send Dolby digital to your tv is only transferring Dolby digital to your speakers and it’s turning into 2.0 of a lower quality.

You‘d get a Dolby Atmos signal if you bought the codec and plugged those speakers into your Xbox controller, but don’t do that, I’m not sure what would even happen.

Get a sound bar, or just save for a new tv or get GOOD HEADPHONES and plug them into the Xbox controller. TVs from the past 2 years have amazing speakers if you get a decent tier. Using speakers though a 3.5mm jack is awful, the speakers themselves are probably low quality too.

Next time you make a post looking for technical help PLEASE describe your setup, it would’ve saved so many people’s time.

EDIT: You can plug those speakers into your controller, this would be awful, but give you better audio…maybe, if you wanted to buy the Dolby Atmos codec... I really don’t know, this is awful and advice though.
Read OP again. He knows it's not compatible with atmos, even says his system is vanilla stereo. He's saying he only heard of such problem with atmos, but his setup is presentig problems even WITHOUT using atmos. Analog output also isn't inherently bad. My tv also have decent speakers that just lack bass, I use the stereo output (correctly configured to do so) to send audio to a Pioneer active subwoofer.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

People here also should note that consoles doesn't send anything over arc, it's the tv that send audio to the dac (receiver, home theater etc), unprocessed (pass-through) or processed, using an hdmi port that support audio output (the definition of arc), so, there's nothing in the configuration of the console that can affect the way arc or earc works...

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

You are 100% never getting Dolby Atmos with that hilarious sad setup
Who the fuck is this guy?

“Sad setup”, this is just my bedroom TV, not that it’s any of your business…
If you ever think you’re getting Dolby Atmos effect from them it’s purely placebo
What are you talking about?
get GOOD HEADPHONES
I’ve got TWO PAIRS OF SENNHEISER, and a pair of Sony XM3’s but thanks dad.
the speakers themselves are probably low quality too.
They’re not, but you clearly have some weird superiority complex, so you keep swingin’ that epeen if it makes you feel better.
Read OP again. He knows it's not compatible with atmos, even says it's system is vanilla stereo. He's saying he only heard of such problem with atmos, but his setup is presentig problems even WITHOUT using atmos. Analog output also isn't inherently bad. My tv also have decent speakers that just lack bass, I use the stereo output (correctly configured to do so) to send audio to a Pioneer active subwoofer.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Earc/arc is still riddled with issues related to compatibility and lag with no end in sight. Stupidest thing they ever did was get rid of the optical port to save a buck or two.
I use Optical as a catch-all output for my TV and it's absolutely fine for my stereo speakers. It might not be the most advanced solution for modern 7.2.4 or whatever you can get, but it's perfectly functional and I'll be sad to lose it when I one day upgrade.

jaysius

Banned
Who the fuck is this guy?

“Sad setup”, this is just my bedroom TV, not that it’s any of your business…

What are you talking about?

I’ve got TWO PAIRS OF SENNHEISER, and a pair of Sony XM3’s but thanks dad.

They’re not, but you clearly have some weird superiority complex, so you keep swingin’ that epeen if it makes you feel better.

Thank you!
Not my business? You’re the one coming in not telling us about your Frankenstein setup and letting people guess what could be wrong with it.

You’re upset that someone told you the truth about your jank setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom