• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Overscan. Can I fix it?

that 'common' safe zone is 'common' in how many TVs currently being sold again?

what can't you do? what UI only displays on the TV that you can't use on the gamepad? give me an idea of how bad this really is. if you're just talking about only seeing part of a spinning loading logo, who gives a crap, right? so what are you missing out on?

I played Nintendoland, Zombi U MP and Scribblenauts on a TV that was horribly overscanning things late sunday night. I also saw AC3 played on that same TV. there wasn't anything we couldn't do though. all the games were perfectly playable overscanned.
The MiiVerse quotes sit at the top and sides of the screen. It cuts off the name of the person making the comment. On the MiiVerse screen itself they cut off the button text on the left hand side. Like where it says "Communities" on my GamePad it says "ommunities" on my TV.

6 years actually. Since we're throwing out ridiculous assumptions, I'm sure your personal hygiene is horrific and you dress like a slob since aesthetics mean nothing to you. Take a shower tonight, make it special.

no no no no.

I doubt the hardware in your TV is 6 years old by the same standards that has you calling the hardware in the Wii U 5 years old. that's why I put your statement in quotes. what piece of technology in your TV was introduced in 2006?

do you know why the HDTV I bought in 2005 didn't have overscan problems? because I cared about the way stuff looked on it. do you know why the TV I own does 1:1 pixel mapping? ditto.

if you cared about aesthetics I don't understand why you'd have bought a TV in 2006 that suffered from overscanning.

The MiiVerse quotes sit at the top and sides of the screen. It cuts off the name of the person making the comment. On the MiiVerse screen itself they cut off the button text on the left hand side. Like where it says "Communities" on my GamePad it says "ommunities" on my TV.

Miiverse has settings for overscan. even if it didn't, don't you have to look at the touchpad to... you know, touch the various options?

Aside from a Nintendo fix, your best bet is to see if you can get into the service menu and hope there are some adjustments for overscan.

no no no no.

I doubt the hardware in your TV is 6 years old by the same standards that has you calling the hardware in the Wii U 5 years old. that's why I put your statement in quotes. what piece of technology in your TV was introduced in 2006?

do you know why the HDTV I bought in 2005 didn't have overscan problems? because I cared about the way stuff looked on it. do you know why the TV I own does 1:1 pixel mapping? ditto.

if you cared about aesthetics I don't understand why you'd have bought a TV in 2006 that suffered from overscanning.

Miiverse has settings for overscan. even if it didn't, don't you have to look at the touchpad to... you know, touch the various options?

Holy fuck, I've seen it all. An Overscan nut.

Holy fuck, I've seen it all. An Overscan nut.

I know right. what possible reason could I want for my TV to show all of the picture it's sent? there can't have ever been an instance where this caused problems before the Wii U came out.

Because this is the first device I've used that has this problem.

it's the first device you've used where you've noticed it. your TV has the problem and it always has.

madmackem

it's the first device you've used where you've noticed it. your TV has the problem and it always has.

This, when i go to my friends house and see his 360 its all kinds of strange he has his hdtv on 16.9 and it just looks off, like i said the only thing nintendo is guilty of here is not building overscan safety into the menus.

There was a secret area in a NSMBU level that I could barely see peeking out from the top on the gamepad, but it's not visible at all on my tv

Kazerei

Banned
Why do I need a new TV for 5 year old hardware

It doesn't excuse Nintendo for not factoring in a little more safe zone ... but it's kinda funny you chose to rail on the Wii U for being low tech, when it's actually your TV that's being shitty and not including a basic feature.

Ryuukan

It doesn't excuse Nintendo for not factoring in a little more safe zone ... but it's kinda funny you chose to rail on the Wii U for being low tech, when it's actually your TV that's being shitty and not including a basic feature.

I was just trying to fit in with the 10000 other posts here that say it as well. I didn't know it was a problem to say mean things about my own property, I haven't read the Patriot Act thoroughly.

Yeah, I fixed the screen for the MiiVerse but the Wara Wara plaza is messed up as well. You can't fix it for that screen. I just hope there aren't many games that use the fringes of the screen to display data. So far the games I've played have been ok.

bryehn

Can a mod please change the title to "Can U Fix It?"

I already know my situation is hopeless and frankly I'm tired of people responding to my OP without reading the thread. I'll update it with relevant info when I get a chance.

I was just trying to fit in with the 10000 other posts here that say it as well. I didn't know it was a problem to say mean things about my own property, I haven't read the Patriot Act thoroughly.

calling the Wii U 5 year old hardware is something a lot of trolls have been doing around here for quite a while. the problem isn't the power of the Wii U hardware in this case, but that your TV has a problem and the Wii U doesn't provide the normal workaround for every part of your experience. hell, the problem has nothing to do with the age of the Wii U's hardware.

that's why I responded to you like I did. you can't claim your TV's technology is as old as the day it was manufactured if you're going to call the Wii U's technology 5 years old. high end TVs that came out before yours did not have the issue yours has.

fixed pixel displays should never have had overscan. fortunately we are beyond that stupidity now, but wouldn't it be a shame if we never started using the full image just because a really dumb decision happened when people started making fixed pixel HDTVs?

Shuken

Neo Member
My lg plasma is old and have overscan on every input. I've tried everything, also in the service menu, without any luck. The funny thing is, if the tv think that you have connected a pc, then you don't have overscan. So you must:
1-Use the vga input (so far i can only with xbox360) OR
2-Use the hdmi BUT the source must have an output of 1360x768 (the native resolution of the plasma is 1366x768 so i have only 6 pixel black borders horizzontally) SO since ps3 doesen't support this resolution i have the overscan.
And, as far as i know, the wii u can only be set to 720p or 1080p so i think i'll have a problem here when WII U comes to Europe!!

:(

bryehn

My lg plasma is old and have overscan on every input. I've tried everything, also in the service menu, without any luck. The funny thing is, if the tv think that you have connected a pc, then you don't have overscan. So you must:
1-Use the vga input (so far i can only with xbox360) OR
2-Use the hdmi BUT the source must have an output of 1360x768 (the native resolution of the plasma is 1366x768 so i have only 6 pixel black borders horizzontally) SO since ps3 doesen't support this resolution i have the overscan.
And, as far as i know, the wii u can only be set to 720p or 1080p so i think i'll have a problem here when WII U comes to Europe!!

:(

The 360 actually has an option to display 1360x768 (among others, including 16:10), over HDMI at least. I'd love to see this implemented on Wii U.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Can't expect everyone to be an informed consumer.

This is one item in a long list of reasons why I decided a long time ago to make my primary gaming display a $130 monitor that does the essentials better than any $1000 HDTV with all kinds of feature bloat.

Can't expect everyone to be an informed consumer.

This is one item in a long list of reasons why I decided a long time ago to make my primary gaming display a $130 monitor that does the essentials better than any $1000 HDTV with all kinds of feature bloat.

I don't. My reaction to people that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on consoles and HDTVs without properly researching them discovering that they weren't fully informed?

meh.

Doc Strangelove

Neo Member
OP, can't you plug your cable box or PS3 into the TV's HDMI, using optical for sound? That will leave one HDMI input on the receiver for the Wii U. Might not fix your overscan but worth a try.

Edit: Just re-read and I guess you only have one HDMI input, currently coming from the receiver? I would personally prefer to use component/optical for the cable box to get better sound from the Wii U anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
no no no no.

Yeah, I have an overscan (fit) option on my television, but I discovered the MiiVerse also lets you scale the image.

Don't buy a tv this Friday; the choices they have on special are usually crap and the best prices on TVs come about during the week of the Super Bowl. If you can, wait till then

onQ123

Well I guess I'll have to be a prick. Black Friday Get a new 1080P TV for about $300 or a Monitor it can't be worse than what you have now.

My 1080p Samsung has slight overscan.
my old samsung had the same problem (altho it was only 720p/component). nothing in the standard menus helped, but i was able to fix it in the service menu. mute + 187 + power was the code or something like that, iirc. not sure if op's menu has a service menu or how to get into it, but you should give that a try if you can find out the code.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, this has been fun.

I tracked down the service menu options for the Tau CT30WX15 (I think that's the set) I got from a relative.

I've managed to get almost all the Wii U display image onto the screen (a few pixels are missing on either side, but it's nearly complete)... the new problem is trying to get the geometry right. It's actually MOSTLY fine, but there is a bit of curving in the top right and bottom left corner, and I feel as though there is a barrel effect when I scroll text near the top and bottom of the screen.

Sigh.

More tweaking is required.

Arizone

Banned
I have a 26" Vizio, and I have this overscan issue. If I go into the TV menu, there's the "auto-adjust" option for most inputs like PC over RGB/VGA, except HDMI where the option is blocked. The only thing I can do is adjust the vertical or horizontal shift of the picture, which doesn't solve the problem. I then dug up the TV's service menu, but the most it lets me do is adjust the color offsets. Adjusting the console's resolution settings does nothing. The fact that the internet browser and other apps have a screen size setting and not the console itself is insulting.

The only other device this has been a problem on is my Raspberry Pi, which I don't think likes 16:9 formats anyways, but it at least comes with complicated options to fix overscan. My Xbox over HDMI works fine, including everything I have used on the other inputs.

Jarsonot

It may be the television's fault that it overscans, but it's Nintendo's problem now. People aren't going to be happy turning their new console on and not seeing the whole picture. I would guess most people with this problem weren't aware of it, but the Wii U makes it glaringly obvious.

I'm sure Nintendo has received a ton of calls about this and no doubt a patch is in the works... Right?

It doesn't suggest that Nintendo tested much on various model TVs, and it DOES make me wonder that if this basic mistake is made, what other mistakes have been made in this transition to HD? Not comforting.

Gannd

Banned
I'm having overscan on my old Vizio 720p HD TV. I was able to fix it for the eshop and Miiverse but not the system in general. Hopefully, Nintendo releases an update for this. Batman has a very slight overscan and is completely playable but I'm worried about New Super Mario Brothers U and its problems. Boo!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FYI, I captured some direct comparisons between NSMB Wii and NSMB U yesterday to see how big a difference there actually was.

overscan1a.png
overscan1b.png

overscan2a.png
overscan2b.png

overscan3a.png
overscan3b.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not sure If covered, but there are Screen Fit options in both eshop and miiverse where you can adjust the fit independent of tv. It's not a tv issue, just dig around in each option menus (look for Other settings in otpions on the pad) and you're all set. It's really weird

Pikma

Banned
Not been following this thread but, has anyone tried to contact Nintendo costumer service? it would be nice if Nintendo at least acknowledged the issue. :-(

CLEEK

Not been following this thread but, has anyone tried to contact Nintendo costumer service? it would be nice if Nintendo at least acknowledged the issue. :-(

It's not a Nintendo issue. It only effects certain models of TV. It's the TV manufacturer you should be lobbying.

Zing

Banned
FYI, I captured some direct comparisons between NSMB Wii and NSMB U yesterday to see how big a difference there actually was.
Thanks for this. It appears Wii U has the exact same amount of "safe area" as the Wii, it's just that they are rendering into the safe area instead of blacking it out. If you are missing anything on the Wii U, you would have missed it on the Wii as well. This is definitely a TV problem and not a Nintendo problem.

Ranger X

Another thread about this? Same OP too...

If you had read your previous thread, I did answer all the questions you have here + what is the exact problem and why it's happening right and that it won't always be like this.

It's not a Nintendo issue. It only effects certain models of TV. It's the TV manufacturer you should be lobbying.

It IS a Nintendo issue. People need to stop saying that it isn't. My 360, which is also connected via HDMI and my PS3 both work fine. The only options on my tv is to make it 4:3 or zoom it in further. Furthermore, when in Wii BC mode it is not zoomed in. It is a WiiU issue and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have a recent Samsung 1080p 120hz 40 inch in my bedroom with the WiiU and it has the overscan issue using HDMI ;p. It is a no frills model from Costco but it is a 2011 or 2012 model. I haven't noticed this issue with my PS3 or Xbox via HDM, and I didn't notice any apparent overscan in ZombiU (maybe it is just in the OS?). I'll have to see if there is Just Scan option in the aspect ratio menu.

I agree. Overscan is a common problem and every reasonable electronics manufacturer puts in options to compensate for it. Yes TVs should handle this correctly, but since they don't Nintendo needs to fix it. The fact that these options are in the eshop and Miiverse shows that some competent people on Nintendo staff realized this and added the option. Sadly the people working on the core OS did not.

I have a PS360 and a PC hooked up to my 2 year old sharp. The PC actually underscans by about 5% by default and I have to adjust the driver settings to get a good fit.

I say we just start contacting customer support and asking for it. If enough people complain they will patch it.

I emailed to them from this link: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/contact.jsp

animagnum

Neo Member
I found a workaround using an HDMI-to-VGA adapter and then connecting the Wii U to the VGA input of my TV. The picture obviously isn't as good as HDMI but it does fix the problem with the image bleeding off the sides of the screen.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Big overscan on my old Sony Bravia.... tried everything but thing remains. TV is first gen Bravia LCD, i think it is S262010 model

sniperpon

I picked up a Wii U today, has some moderate overscan issues on my TV as well, at least in the menus, haven't tried any games yet.

For the record, I own a Sony KDS-R50XBR1-- wonderful TV, deep deep blacks, super white whites, 95+% NTSC spec for red, green, and blue. I've had it for six years, and have never once considered replacing it. But it does have overscan issues with a variety of devices. The difference is that those devices-- like my PC, and the PS3-- let me scale the image down to compensate. Seems like a no-brainer feature, surprised Nintendo hasn't implemented this yet. Hopefully they get this into a future firmware update, Google reveals lots of people having this problem.

Top Bottom