• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Overscan. Can I fix it?

I'm more concerded about the fact that Wii games upscaled in 1080p will almost all have heavy underscan, producing a black border all around the screen.

ElRenoRaven

Oh you're not alone OP. Mine is set up with HDMI and even it's having that problem. Never had that problem with my 360, PS3, Cable box, etc either. As mentioned you can fix that in the eshop settings but only for the eshop menus. Games are fine too. I'm wondering if it's not a bug in the OS. If not then Nintendo needs to fix the issue.

optimiss

I'm having the same overscan issue with my TV. It took a lot of hunting but I finally found the correct key combination to enter the service menu!! Which didn't have any options to fix the over scan. :(

Luckily you can fix it in the eShop, Miiverse and web browser. Guess it will have to do for now.

Unless..has anyone tried a Wii VGA cable on their Wii U? My TV allows geometry control but only on the VGA input.

bryehn

Oh you're not alone OP. Mine is set up with HDMI and even it's having that problem. Never had that problem with my 360, PS3, Cable box, etc either. As mentioned you can fix that in the eshop settings but only for the eshop menus. Games are fine too. I'm wondering if it's not a bug in the OS. If not then Nintendo needs to fix the issue.

In Mario, it's pretty noticeable too actually. Though if the game wasn't constantly displayed on both the pad and TV, I may not have noticed.

Drago

I decided to move my WiiU into my bedroom, because that TV has a just scan option. Everything looks great now!

My problem is solved, but it sorta limits my gamepad usage on my first floor. :/

ElRenoRaven

In Mario, it's pretty noticeable too actually. Though if the game wasn't constantly displayed on both the pad and TV, I may not have noticed.

Ah. I haven't gotten NSMB U yet. My copy should be shipping from Newegg today. That kind of sucks to hear that the game has that problem too.

bryehn

I decided to move my WiiU into my bedroom, because that TV has a just scan option. Everything looks great now!

My problem is solved, but it sorta limits my gamepad usage on my first floor. :/

I have a newer TV in my bedroom too, might just move the Wii U so it's closer to my throne :lol

Evenflow

Ok this thread has me all messed up. I have a 2009 Samsung PN50A450 720P plasma... so I assumed setting the U output to 720P would be best, but would it actually look better set at 1080p? Im pretty sure my TV is native 768 or whatever. The U set it at 1080p when I did the auto calibrate. Especially with the word of Wii games being upscaled I'm totally baffled as to what to do, any help would be much apreciated!

edit. I do have the just scan mode turned on so I'm not worried about overscan or anything.

Foxix Von

Try renaming your Input to "PC". It works for me most of the time on LG and Samsung TVs.
I would recommend against this. Doing that on my Samsung set causes the colors to change dramatically in a way that can't really be compensated for. The whole screen takes a severe orange tint and I lose the ability to "actually" adjust screen brightness. I can change its value but upon restarting the monitor the number the brightness resets itself while keeping the displayed number the same. It also seems to overly blur the screen.

You're better off trying to find a pixel mapping option along with finding a game mode setting if available.

bumpkin

I think as a plan B, I'm going to connect my Wii U via HDMI and see if it's still having the issue or if it presents new options for configuring the display itself (on the TV). The 360 and PS3 play nice with my TV connected via component, and I didn't have to jump through any settings hoops to do it. This really seems like a tremendous oversight on Nintendo's part. Did they not test on anything?

jrcbandit

I have a recent Samsung 1080p 120hz 40 inch in my bedroom with the WiiU and it has the overscan issue using HDMI ;p. It is a no frills model from Costco but it is a 2011 or 2012 model. I haven't noticed this issue with my PS3 or Xbox via HDM, and I didn't notice any apparent overscan in ZombiU (maybe it is just in the OS?). I'll have to see if there is Just Scan option in the aspect ratio menu.

Eusis

I'm more concerded about the fact that Wii games upscaled in 1080p will almost all have heavy underscan, producing a black border all around the screen.
I can fix that relatively easily, mine has some image expanding options that I've used with PS2 games due to their underscan. It's this overscan on Wii U that concerns me, I'll just have to see how it goes (and hope Nintendo remembers to update).

bumpkin

I have a recent Samsung 1080p 120hz 40 inch in my bedroom with the WiiU and it has the overscan issue using HDMI ;p. It is a no frills model from Costco but it is a 2011 or 2012 model. I haven't noticed this issue with my PS3 or Xbox via HDM, and I didn't notice any apparent overscan in ZombiU (maybe it is just in the OS?). I'll have to see if there is Just Scan option in the aspect ratio menu.
As far as the issue goes in-game, I'm pretty sure it happens ever-so slightly in New Super Mario Bros. U. It's not cutting off anything important at least. I haven't tried Rabbids Land or Nintendo Land yet, but I imagine the problem will be the same. I'm hoping that it's not a big deal with either of those.

I would recommend against this. Doing that on my Samsung set causes the colors to change dramatically in a way that can't really be compensated for. The whole screen takes a severe orange tint and I lose the ability to "actually" adjust screen brightness. I can change its value but upon restarting the monitor the number the brightness resets itself while keeping the displayed number the same. It also seems to overly blur the screen.

You're better off trying to find a pixel mapping option along with finding a game mode setting if available.
Hmm. Weird. Out of about 6 or 7 TVs I've done this on I've never had any sort of weird tint. But I've also made sure to set the Color temperature from Warm to Normal. Also haven't had any blur issues. Thats really weird. There may be some sort of screen dimension auto calibration you can run to fix that.

Its true that on some TV's it reduces the options of how to manipulate the image but thats sort of what you want because it just means its doing less processing and giving you something closer to the original image (in theory).

Foxix Von

Hmm. Weird. Out of about 6 or 7 TVs I've done this on I've never had any sort of weird tint. But I've also made sure to set the Color temperature from Warm to Normal. Also haven't had any blur issues. Thats really weird. There may be some sort of screen dimension auto calibration you can run to fix that.

Its true that on some TV's it reduces the options of how to manipulate the image but thats sort of what you want because it just means its doing less processing and giving you something closer to the original image (in theory).

Mmmm color temperature fiddling can help somedidn't help at all and it still leaves me unable to calibrate the set's brightness. I mean, I can move the slider and it will adjust and display that I have it set correctly but if I restart the tv or change the picture mode it will display a totally different brightness level. At the same time while in the menu it still displays the changes I made, they just aren't taking effect.

Strangely enough, contrast still sticks though.

The blurring might just be the sharpness effect turning itself off completely. There's a setting for edge enhancement but turning it off only lessens the amount rather than turning it off completely.

Just once I'd like to own a television that actually worked correctly.

DonMigs85

This thing only has 1 HDMI port.
Probably a good time to invest in a 42 inch 1080p set, they're pretty cheap these days.

1-D_FTW

I have an old HD CRT so overscan is inherent, but it is super brutal in the Wii U's case. Seems a lot worse than with my 360 or PS3. Gonna try switching to 1080i when I get off work to see if that helps.

LLTP on this, but you actually could address that if you were a hardcore DIY (although if you did it after 6 years you'd have uneven aging). I actually raised the inside chassis on my HD CRT to get it closer to the mirror. That and physical adjustments with the knobs got my set to about 3 percent overscan. Not zero, but fairly decent.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Only thing you can do is search around the net for service menu codes and adjust things from there. You can really screw up your set though, if you don't know what you're doing.

It's still odd that Nintendo of all companies doesn't institute the usual 5% "safe area" that the other console makers do.

bryehn

Did you try this? its worth a shot.

No man, I can't stress this enough: My TV is over 6 years old and has absolutely no options that can help the situation, including renaming ports. I'm screwed until I can get a new one. Seems to be more widespread than my situation though, I'll make note of what type of setups people have, suggestions like yours and edit into the OP tomorrow.

newsguy

I know precisely how much my TV overscans. I've been gaming on it for years, and I adjusted it in the factory menus. For all of those saying it's the TV settings try this simple step. Look at what your Wii u control is displaying and see what's overscanning on your TV. Now (if possible on your TV.) Set that 1080p image to 4:3. The sides will still be cropped, yet you should see everything with no overscan in this mode.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How much is it overscanning? Use this picture to test
overscan1920.jpg

I changed it on my TV and I'm still getting a little bar of discoloration down the entire left hand side of the screen. I havent had issues like this with a device in about 8 years.

flippedb

Banned
No man, I can't stress this enough: My TV is over 6 years old and has absolutely no options that can help the situation, including renaming ports. I'm screwed until I can get a new one. Seems to be more widespread than my situation though, I'll make note of what type of setups people have, suggestions like yours and edit into the OP tomorrow.

Someone here changed the output from 720p to 1080p on the Wii U and the issue was fixed. This was using a 720p TV. Try it, it can't hurt.

Skullkid

I have the same issue on my 34 inch Sony WEGA (KD-34XBR960), either when set to 720p or 1080i. My PS3 and older systems are fine. I checked the manual and menus on my TV and none of the options help. There are a couple threads about this on the Nintendo.com tech forums so it seems like a widespread issue.

I also tried setting it to 1080p in the Wii U menu, but my TV can't recognize it and the screen went blank. By Google searching the model number and "overscan" I found some forum posts on how to adjust it in the service menu, but I'm afraid of messing up my TV or messing up how the picture is displayed on other systems. I really hope Nintendo fixes this soon.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I came here to post about this. Noticed a quarter of the loading circle was cut off on my TV. F-----g Nintendo.

Isn't this really more a problem with the televisions?

(I'm suffering as well - CRT Panasonic Tau is not working well with the Wii U... trying to get as much as I can without visual distortion...)

aparisi2274

I'm having the same issue. The funny thing is that in the MiiVerse and eShop windows if you go to your user settings you can actually access a feature where you can adjust the screen to fit your TV. I don't know why they just didn't do this for the whole system. My TV is an older 720p Sony Bravia 32" XBR. It doesn't have any overscan options. The only thing I can do is zoom it in even further. That doesn't help at all!

I think I have the same TV as you, and this is crazy... Nintendo needs to get this fixed ASAP.

Zoe

Isn't this really more a problem with the televisions?

(I'm suffering as well - CRT Panasonic Tau is not working well with the Wii U... trying to get as much as I can without visual distortion...)

There's been an accepted "safe zone" for TV's for ages. Nintendo didn't push HD with the Wii because they didn't think HD adoption would be ready, but now they're taking a complete 180 and alienating people without full HDTV's in their own OS?

I wouldn't put the blame on the TV's.

There's been an accepted "safe zone" for TV's for ages. Nintendo didn't push HD with the Wii because they didn't think HD adoption would be ready, but now they're taking a complete 180 and alienating people without full HDTV's in their own OS?

I wouldn't put the blame on the TV's.
Yeah, it's the same point as the sound setups and AV/HDMI being mutually exclusive. If all things being equal, other devices worked fine on a given setup, you can't realistically expect people to change their setup for one new device. Particularly if they had no knowledge of these issues before buying it.

Ryuukan

I'm having the same issue on an older sharp aquos over HDMI as well. Haven't tried the 1080p option yet.

Never had a problem with the 360 or PS3 with overscan.

DarkFlow

Banned
I like how everyone tells him to buy a new tv. This is nintendos problem, not his. I don't think it's too much to ask for in respect to it working with his HDTV. It's a 720p tv, and he should expect it to work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same problem here, I have a Sony 1080p and those missing corners are killing me. ):

strange. wonder if there is something odd about the Nintendo 1080p output? I know that my Sony 1080p TV in 1:1 mode, I have to expand all my PS3 games out to the full extent to get the 'arrows to the edge of the screen' when they do their calibration. So that should be properly mapped.

bit worried now, but won't find out until Nov 30th

pswii60

I used to have a shitty Toshiba LCD television (32WLT66 I think) a few years ago that didn't have an option to turn overscan off. Only way to avoid overscan was to feed in via VGA, which isn't much help given Wii U is HDMI.

Not sure what else you can do, other than bringing your television up to date, or waiting for Nintendo to fix things on the safe zone side.

Nintendo really should be ensuring all text is within the safe zone, especially in the UI!

gwarm01

I have the same problem with my 5 year old TV. Damn it, I didn't want to upgrade until I could comfortably get an 80" LED.

herod

Oh man that is hilarious. I have a 7% overscan on my RP CRT so no wonder everything is cut off. Fucking Nintendo. :/

overscan is evil, it's about time hardware started giving it no quarter. Because of shitty TVs we have to have games crammed into smaller boxes.

tl;dr, don't blame nintendo.

MarkusRJR

overscan is evil, it's about time hardware started giving it no quarter. Because of shitty TVs we have to have games crammed into smaller boxes.

tl;dr, don't blame nintendo.
Nintendo has a machine that runs on televisions and they didn't make create a UI that follows the common "safe zone" used through most TV devices. They can't expect people to purchase new televisions just for their one machine. At the very least they need to provide support for people with TV's that aren't new. This is entirely Nintendo's fault.

meh. safe zones need to die. overscanning TVs are finally starting to die out. no fixed pixel HDTV should ever have been doing it, and you all should have been mad at your TV manufacturer for making one that did.

4:3 TVs need to die too. stop preventing TV content creators from having full usage of the full 16:9 aspect ratio.

there will possibly be a software patch for the OS, but i'd guess games will have to do it on a game by game basis (BLORPS2 has overscan adjustments). really though, we should all just let it go and move on, instead of forcing people to continually correct for an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Nintendo has a machine that runs on televisions and they didn't make create a UI that follows the common "safe zone" used through most TV devices. They can't expect people to purchase new televisions just for their one machine. At the very least they need to provide support for people with TV's that aren't new. This is entirely Nintendo's fault.

that 'common' safe zone is 'common' in how many TVs currently being sold again?

what can't you do? what UI only displays on the TV that you can't use on the gamepad? give me an idea of how bad this really is. if you're just talking about only seeing part of a spinning loading logo, who gives a crap, right? so what are you missing out on?

I played Nintendoland, Zombi U MP and Scribblenauts on a TV that was horribly overscanning things late sunday night. I also saw AC3 played on that same TV. there wasn't anything we couldn't do though. all the games were perfectly playable overscanned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
meh. safe zones need to die. overscanning TVs are finally starting to die out. no fixed pixel HDTV should ever have been doing it, and you all should have been mad at your TV manufacturer for making one that did.

4:3 TVs need to die too. stop preventing TV content creators from having full usage of the full 16:9 aspect ratio.

there will possibly be a software patch for the OS, but i'd guess games will have to do it on a game by game basis (BLORPS2 has overscan adjustments). really though, we should all just let it go and move on, instead of forcing people to continually correct for an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place.

My pet hate is broadcasters putting onscreen elements right in the middle of a widescreen, HD broadcast, just in case someone is watching it on a 4:3 set zoomed in. Just make them set it to letterbox mode and move on - use the sides of the bloody display

madmackem

I have the same issue on my 34 inch Sony WEGA (KD-34XBR960), either when set to 720p or 1080i. My PS3 and older systems are fine. I checked the manual and menus on my TV and none of the options help. There are a couple threads about this on the Nintendo.com tech forums so it seems like a widespread issue.

I also tried setting it to 1080p in the Wii U menu, but my TV can't recognize it and the screen went blank. By Google searching the model number and "overscan" I found some forum posts on how to adjust it in the service menu, but I'm afraid of messing up my TV or messing up how the picture is displayed on other systems. I really hope Nintendo fixes this soon.

There is nothing really to fix, you will be getting a picture from your other devices that isnt right but they built in overscan safety it looks like nintendo didnt.

Ryuukan

if the Wii U is '5 year old hardware' your TV is probably ten year old hardware, at least.

6 years actually. Since we're throwing out ridiculous assumptions, I'm sure your personal hygiene is horrific and you dress like a slob since aesthetics mean nothing to you. Take a shower tonight, make it special.

Top Bottom