• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Overscan. Can I fix it?

CLEEK

It may be the television's fault that it overscans, but it's Nintendo's problem now. People aren't going to be happy turning their new console on and not seeing the whole picture. I would guess most people with this problem weren't aware of it, but the Wii U makes it glaringly obvious.

I'm sure Nintendo has received a ton of calls about this and no doubt a patch is in the works... Right?

It doesn't suggest that Nintendo tested much on various model TVs, and it DOES make me wonder that if this basic mistake is made, what other mistakes have been made in this transition to HD? Not comforting.

I don't understand why overscan is now being blamed on Nintendo.

For people complaining about this, is the Wii U the first HD device that you've connected? Do you not have a 360 or PS3? As neither of them have system wide overscan options. First party PS3 games all have in-game options (like MiiVerse). Is that what people are demanding?

1080p is a world wide standard. It means that the screen has a resolution of 1920×1080. That's what the Wii U outputs when you set it to 1080p. If your TV overscans 1080p sources, you have a really fucking stupid TV.

Jetku

For people complaining about this, is the Wii U the first HD device that you've connected? Do you not have a 360 or PS3? As neither of them have system wide overscan options. First party PS3 games all have in-game options (like MiiVerse). Is that what people are demanding?

1080p is a world wide standard. It means that the screen has a resolution of 1920×1080. That's what the Wii U outputs when you set it to 1080p. If your TV overscans 1080p sources, you have a really fucking stupid TV.

I have a shitty tv but its also shitty that Nintendo only gives adjustment options for the browser and Miiverse.

I have a ps3 and Xbox 360 both hooked up with hdmi as well, and neither have overscan issues. My pc does, but my graphics card has adjustment options.

I have my PS3 and 360 connected to the same TV and i'm not missing anything on the screen.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It seems to affect the older Bravia models a lot. Mine is a 32XBR1 and I have bad overscan as well.

I know for at least 4 other cases with WiiU overscan issues with older Bravia models. Other consoles are working without problem, only WiiU is missing some of the image.

sniperpon

I don't understand why so much ire is being thrown towards what is totally a legitimate issue with the platform for many people with an HDTV older than a few years. People aren't raising it because they hate Nintendo-- they're raising it because it's an issue. The presence of this thread demonstrates that it's an issue. Given the hostility you'd think we were insulting posters' first-born children :)

Same. Never noticed my overscan problem till the WiiU.

Same here; I've owned both a 360 and a PS3, had no overscan issues. My PC does, but ten seconds in the video driver control panel solves that problem. Heck, even ATI's GNU/Linux fglrx drivers let me scale the image. Either that, or they did have issues, but developers for those platforms were just really disciplined about not putting important things near the edges of the display, so the problem wasn't apparent.

DrNeroCF

Same. Never noticed my overscan problem till the WiiU. Never had missing HUD or UI elements on the other HD consoles.

Doesn't change the fact that your image has been squashed and stretched all this time.

What's Nintendo supposed to do? Shove all the UI elements towards the center on the GamePad? I guess they could scale just the TV image for everything, not just the web browser, but in the age of a digital signal, why should this be a thing at all??

Gee, a system comes out with a second screen that shows how images SHOULD be displayed, and everyone realizes how little priority has been given to input response time and displaying the proper image ever since flat screens came out.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't understand why so much ire is being thrown towards what is totally a legitimate issue with the platform for many people with an HDTV older than a few years.
Because you're basically shooting the messenger. Your TV has always sucked at overscan and all the Wii U has done is made you aware of it.

As someone who opted to buy a decent $150 monitor to play my games on instead of a shitty, feature-bloated $1000 HDTV, I actually appreciate that Nintendo opted to use all of the picture space available to them.

bryehn

Because you're basically shooting the messenger. Your TV has always sucked at overscan and all the Wii U has done is made you aware of it.

As someone who opted to buy a decent $150 monitor to play my games on instead of a shitty, feature-bloated $1000 HDTV, I actually appreciate that Nintendo opted to use all of the picture space available to them.

I like the Xbox 360 approach that allows you to select from several common TV/Monitor native resolutions, such as 1366x768, which is what most people that have cheaper/older sets have.

Alfredo

I think it's ridiculous that the only solution is "buy a new TV."

Is it unreasonable for Nintendo to just add overscan options to the UI? They already added it to the MiiVerse. Sounds like a good temporary solution until TV manufacturers fix the overscan issue.

I think it's ridiculous that the only solution is "buy a new TV."

Is it unreasonable for Nintendo to just add overscan options to the UI? They already added it to the MiiVerse. Sounds like a good temporary solution until TV manufacturers fix the overscan issue.

the vast majority of TV manufacturers HAVE fixed the overscan issue.

Yeah, I have a mortgage and tuition and two kids, I'm not buying a new tv when I already have one that works just fine for everything else.

I like the Xbox 360 approach that allows you to select from several common TV/Monitor native resolutions, such as 1366x768, which is what most people that have cheaper/older sets have.

I wish I could get 1360x768 support on the wii u. It would completely fix the overscan. Stupid old sharp tv doesn't allow me to correct the overscan so i have to just deal with it. 360 had my exact rez. PS3 720p never overscanned... only the wii u's signal overscans. My cable box doesnt do it either. I dunno why it's only the wii u that overscans. I hate it.

sniperpon

You're absolutely right actually!

I do have the problem with everything I've ever plugged in via HDMI-- I realized that a few days ago after doing some experimentation with my TV. The only two reasons I noticed it with the Wii U is because 1) Nintendo placed important elements right up against the edge of the signal in the system's main menus (that's a defacto "no-no" even dating back decades in broadcast television), and 2) because the image is mirrored on the controller, the overscan is obvious. In other words, I had the same issues with the 360 and PS3, it just wasn't as apparent because Microsoft and Sony made it a rule to not put anything near the edges of the screen (a defacto rule that Nintendo ignored).

Now of course, there is the issue of user perception/customer satisfaction; I do think it would be nice if Nintendo implemented-- if such a thing is even possible (meaning, if they built in the hooks to do it)-- a system-wide resize option. There are a lot of customers upset about this issue, they might want to escalate the priority on resolving this problem one way or another. They could also "resolve" the user perception by re-arranging the system's user interface so that no elements were right against the edge of the display. It would make the overscan much less obvious.

Personally I'm over it-- I own a couple of games now (New Super Mario Bros. U and Arkham City), and the developers for both titles were good about not putting elements against the display edges. I'm guessing this overscan problem will never be an issue in actual games (it wasn't on the PS3 or 360, so I've got my fingers crossed).

Dunno if it's any help but on older Samsung LCD or plasma HDMI port #2 is the one you should use if it's overscanning at 720p or 1080p. Just Scan didn't work on any other HDMI socket.

Hero

I have a Samsung D550 and I'm having overscan issues. When trying to go into my picture settings, the option to go to Just Fit is grayed out and won't let me select it. Anyone know what's up with that?

Banned
I have a Samsung D550 and I'm having overscan issues. When trying to go into my picture settings, the option to go to Just Fit is grayed out and won't let me select it. Anyone know what's up with that?
Are you connected via HDMI? What resolution did you set the Wii U too?

Banned
Yeah, connected via HDMI and the Wii U is set to 1080p.
Try using different hdmi ports. Samsungs are finicky like that. Usually port #2 supports the overscan.

Samsungs often have a behavior where one setting somewhere causes other settings to be greyed out. In other cases it depends on the input signal. Additionally, they frequently come with the "sharpness" setting somewhere funny, which messes up a computer's display image. Here are details on each:

Input Signal:

This is one example - with my MacBook connected to HDMI 3, the Picture Size "Screen Fit" option is not available, and this is the one you need - where it the input displays dot-for-dot on the panel. It turned out that my Mac was sending a 1080p signal (as it should be), but the Samsung would only show the other options if the input signal was 1080i (or 720p). So if you temporarily switch to one of those output modes, you will be able to select the settings you want. Then you can switch back to the correct output mode, and settings you are not allowed to change will still remember the values you set when you were allowed to change them.

Picture Mode:

Many Samsung TV's will grey-out most of their settings options if the picture mode is not Standard. Some will have one or two modes besides Standard that allow extra settings. Game mode and Movie mode are sometimes ones that will allow extra settings. Again as above, switch to a mode that allows you to make the settings you want, then switch back to the mode you want, and those settings should "stick" even if you can't change them any more

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-374362/wide-fit-and-screen-fit-are-greyed-out/

They finally added an option to adjust screen size! Praise Nintendo the Wii U is saved for me and fuck everyone who said they couldn't do anything about it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Consoles usually have UI elements within a "safe area" so important parts won't get cut off. It seems Nintendo decided to not do this, and thus the fault would be on their end by not designing their UI around that like how everyone else does. They can't expect people to upgrade their TVs just for their console.
With that solution then you get cut off picture with reduced image quality still, while those without the issue then have to deal with a HUD that is closer to the edges than normal, so it's hardly ideal.

They finally added an option to adjust screen size! Praise Nintendo the Wii U is saved for me and fuck everyone who said they couldn't do anything about it.
That's cool.

Top Bottom