• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Bl@de

No. I never consider a console at release. I consider it after a price drop and 10 games I want released on the systems (+good games on the horizon). That's why I bought the Wii U in mid 2014.

Cell phone companies release new stuff every year. So why can't a console company release something every couple or so?

I know phones are subsidized, so it seems like less to a lot of people. But a console is usually around 400$. So every 3 or 4 years makes sense if it can retain BC as well as offer something new.

The only way they could get me next year would be to release Zelda on the new system and not on Wii U. It would be tough to wait for a price drop or bundle.

martino

if i learned something with wii U , this is i will never buy another console day one.
Even a nintendo one where in the end there is at best less than 10 games i will play
but with this this gen it seems it's no longer limited to nintendo

I probably would purchase, just because I'm a Nintendo fan, but it would be better for me if they held off for another couple years.

They'd also have to have a decent library for launch. At this point I don't think they would.

However, if we were talking that in a situation where a new Nintendo console was launched with a decent lineup I would have a hard time resisting.

The_Lump

Banned
Yeah sure. I dont regret buying WiiU day one so there's no reason for me not to buy the next one.

Mass market success has zero bearing on my purchasing habits so long as the product still serves it's purpose. WiiU has given me plenty of great games in its short life so I don't feel it still needs to win me over.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sure. I've never missed out on a Nintendo product and value their mark in the gaming industry. I won't feel slighted, especially with all the amazing games released so far.

I can understand others attitude with not having enough games, certain genres may not appease them. But the console is definitely far from lacking great games, even if you don't like any one of them.

dolabla

I've had my Wii U since release and I would definitely buy. I mean............... it's a new Nintendo console!

Absolutely not. I'm finding this with consoles in general, but the fact it's taking 4 years to get a decent Zelda game on a Nintendo system is a load of shit.

a new home? hell no. a new handheld? maybe

I'd be reluctant even with a new handheld until they announced the launch lineup. That was a cold 3 months before Ocarina where I basically went for a better star rating on Pilotwings.

Apparently the 3DS launch lineup was so anemic because they wanted to let third parties shine, well fuck it, third parties are dead on handhelds, come out the door with 3D Land 2/Twilight Princess 3D.

Nope. I'm sort of moving away from needing to buy every console (probably not getting an Xbone this gen, for example) and honestly the Wii U hasn't provided me with anything mind blowing.

At this stage unless something comes out that really rocks my world I don't know if I'll buy any more Nintendo consoles.

Monocle

Depends entirely on the games and whether it's backward compatible with Wii U titles. I'd buy a new Nintendo console in time to play a new Bayonetta, for example, but probably not a Mario World or Mario Kart. Maybe a Zelda, if it's exceptional.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd be reluctant even with a new handheld until they announced the launch lineup. That was a cold 3 months before Ocarina where I basically went for a better star rating on Pilotwings.

Apparently the 3DS launch lineup was so anemic because they wanted to let third parties shine, well fuck it, third parties are dead on handhelds, come out the door with 3D Land 2/Twilight Princess 3D.

well, I agree, but that would be the usual "price/lineup/gimmick" check I always do.
for a new home, I'd skip it initially no matter what

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Despite some frustrations with them, Nintendo remains one of my favorite developers, so I would definitely buy their next system at some point. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the Wii U, so even if they suddenly discontinued the Wii U and cancelled all upcoming games for it tomorrow, I would buy their next system once it had games I wanted.

Raide

It would have to have a killer line-up and also back by third parties. Also some kind of trade-in option for Wii-U owners.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd definitely buy it (or, at least if they don't stop making fantastic platformers, action-adventures and arcady racers, one game out of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Yoshi, Wario, Fire Emblem, Pikmin would definitely be sufficient to force me to buy the system in an instant). However, I'd not be happy about them dropping the Wii U so early.

If they change a lot of the problems that we all saw with the Wii U ... yeah I'd buy the NX.

If all the Virtual Console games I've purchased on the Wii/Wii U transfer over.

And if they adopt a proper, modern account system.

And if, after such a short hardware generation, my Wii U Pro controllers work.

And if they announce an open-world Mario.

And if they announce a new Metroid.

And if they abandon the Wii brand and their penchant for names that confuse consumers, thereby hurting adoption.

And if they have advertising that isn't mind-numbingly conservative.

It shouldn't matter, but Nintendo's abysmal marketing hurts their platforms and it hurts the broad adoption that's necessary to get long tail developer support.

Playstation and Xbox both have award-winning ad agencies making content that people pay attention to. Nintendo? They're still puttering around with Leo Burnett ... the same agency they've had for 21 years. And they spend less in media for the entire year than Sony and MS spend for individual titles.

They've had bad marketing almost forever, so I'm not expecting this to change. But just knowing the same sad-sack MBAs are running the marketing is the biggest thing that gives me pause in buying the system.

It really, really shouldn't matter. But to me, it does. Nintendo hiring Deutsch LA for their digital marketing was a step in the right direction, but they need to give them all the business and properly support them with big-boy media spend. Deutsch created Kevin Butler for Sony and kept the ship afloat through the early days of PS3. Given the reigns, they might be able to do something good. But I just don't trust Nintendo's "genius" marketing org to hire anyone but yes-men.

Stencil

If it meant I would be able to play new games that Nintendo would be [presumably] producing, then yes.

Until the bitter end.

cireza

Wii U and 3DS have been such massive disappointments for me (in terms of games) that I really don't know.

I bought the Wii u within the first month of release, and until mario kart came out I felt like I had been burnt. So, I will be their next console, but not at release.

Nosgoroth

All Nintendo consoles have delivered a bunch of games I absolutely loved playing, so yeah, I would. I like the Wii U, however, so I'd like it if they supported it until 2017. That said, I expect a portable by the end of next year and I will buy it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
No way.
I won't give my money to a company who spits on its clients so blatantly.
Why is releasing hardware a notion of spitting on your customers? Phone companies do it every year yet are praised accordingly.

We've seen what a long console generation can do. Why prolong the difficult Wii U development cycle when you can implement a far more efficient ecosystem for developers and better stats to compete with others?

It all depends on the games.

seriously, if you can carry your digital games to the new console (they said it will absorb WiiU architecture, so this is likely, as for BC) and if I find at least one game in the launch line-up along with some promising software looming in the future, I might bite.

Nope. Certainly not at or near launch anyway. Haven't bought a ps4 yet so that's taking priority over another nintendo console, which for all I know will be as big a failure as wii u.

Because when it comes down to it, I haven't bought a Wii U game since Smash nearly half a year ago, and I played that so little, it was a complete waste of money.

They'd have to prove it wouldn't have such an anemic release schedule before I would buy one.

Why is releasing hardware a notion of spitting on your customers? Phone companies do it every year yet are praised accordingly.

We've seen what a long console generation can do. Why prolong the difficult Wii U development cycle when you can implement a far more efficient ecosystem for developers and better stats to compete with others?

When people buy a console they don't expect it to hold for just 3 years

chrixter

Mainline Mario games are system sellers for me, so if something like Galaxy 3 released with it, then I'm there Day 1. Otherwise, nope.

This makes it sounds like WiiU owners as beta-testers. There are moments in time where I was very close to purchasing a Wii U but instincts told me announcements like this is bound to happen. Zelda U would've sealed the deal had it been released this year. Now I really have no confidence for this system. The lack of 3rd party support would mean everything is on the shoulders of Nintendo and their insistence of delaying their games further gives me no incentive other than awaiting the next system to "remaster" previous titles as what the trend is for this generation.

I've owned every Nintendo system released in the UK, so probably.

Not day one though. It took until the Ambassador Program and price cut for me to get a 3DS, and I didn't get a WiiU until last Christmas for a third of it's launch price.

Nintendo systems have really become cheap toys that supplement the proper games systems I own, and unless they can bring out something more mainstream and powerful than their last half dozen releases, I don't see any reason I'd be rushing out to get a new one any time soon.

Dr. Buni

Why people insist in comparing video game consoles to phones? Consoles are supposed to last more than 3~4 years. 5 should be the minimum duration of the lifetime of a console.

We've seen what a long generation can do and I don't remember what was actually bad about it.
No way.
I won't give my money to a company who spits on its clients so blatantly.
Exactly. The New 3DS with exclusive games and then a new console being released next year... I wouldn't blame anyone who decided to boycott Nintendo, if that happens.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Will definitely shake up my plans since it looks like MS will not release a slim Xbox One this year. It will be conflicting if it's attractive enough.

Depends.

If the launch games are good and the hardware looks appealing (aka, the new things it brings to the table), why not ?
Exactly. The New 3DS with exclusive games and then a new console being released next year... I wouldn't blame anyone who decided to boycott Nintendo, if that happens.

Whoever "boycotts" Nintendo over Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and a console with a 4 year lifespan (that happens to be a catastrophical failure saleswise) is absolutely unreasonable in the first place.

I like my Wii U but it did force me to finally get a non-Nintendo console to sit next to it
something I should have done years ago

I get tired of Nintendo going cheap on power when other companies deliver something 2x more powerful for $100+ more

that said NX day 1 lol what else am I going to play Nintendo's main IP efforts on?

McNum

No. Not unless I get a free upgrade. I wouldn't trust that the new console would be supported long enough by Nintendo to consider buying one otherwise. Five years is the bare minimum a console generation should last, 7-8 is much preferable.

They have to run out the life of the Wii U. I mean, they didn't even really do that on the Wii, and look how that killed the momentum for the Wii U.

No. Not unless I get a free upgrade. I wouldn't trust that the new console would be supported long enough by Nintendo to consider buying one otherwise. Five years is the bare minimum a console generation should last, 7-8 is much preferable.

They have to run out the life of the Wii U. I mean, they didn't even really do that on the Wii, and look how that killed the momentum for the Wii U.

There has been a single console generation that lasted that long, which was a direct result of MS and Sony's razorblade model (lose a lot of money on the hardware, but try to make up for it by squeezing more and more money out of your customers through subscription services etc.)...

....which, in the end, did every company more harm than good (the industry was dragged into the HD-era when most companies weren't ready, both console manufacturers lost a lot of money upfront, budgets exploded etc.)

5 years are far more sensible . 7-8 was just nuts.

Top Bottom