• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Reason I create this thread is because many post about the risk Nintendo runs in losing their hardcore fans if they were to release a console without the Wii U seeing mass market success. Personally, around $350 was dropped on my Wii U a couple years ago, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't at least seriously consider it. Nintendo products have that much staying power with me. Throw in mention of improved online interactions to compete with other systems, such as basic online features of voice communication and party systems to play with friends against random people (ie: I cannot search for randoms in Smash as an online party of 2 in 2015. Twenty-Fifteen.), and Nintendo would have me in the bag without a second thought.

I know I'm ready, are you?

I would, as their franchises are the main reason I play games, but I think it would be a bad idea. I think another couple of years of the Wii U are important for them to establish they will respect the people who purchased their system and make a statement that, sales or not, you're going to get support from Nintendo when you purchase one of their consoles.

pixlexic

Banned
yup i would. with a brand new zelda to go along with it of course.

But im not expecting it to be a super powerful machine either.

I'm guessing it's 2017, not 2016...but I'd probably buy it if they release it earlier. Wii U has been great for its exclusives and I would have gotten my money's worth by years end.

Nintendo makes the best games in the world, of course i would buy their console. (assuming i can sit down and control their games with normal control methods.....)

LiamR

No, it's too soon for me. Had my Wii U since the very end of 2012. That's little more than 2 years still. I bought my Xbox One last year, too. Not buying another console for at least 2 or 3 years.

Fox Mulder

4 years is fine for a poorly selling console. Lets be realistic.

They gave us a bunch of great games after an awful launch, and we still have a few coming. Amazing wiiu games like smash, Mario kart, and a couple marios are still probably the lowest selling console entries in their franchises.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm not sure really.

There are still some games from the Wii U that I haven't played yet, believe it or not.

Then again if the games are there that are REALLY enticing I might bite.

Kriken

Questions I would have:
  • What are the games launching for it?
  • What is coming to the Wii U?
  • What is my budget?
  • Why is the philosophy behind the console?

Basically the same questions I'd have for buying any console

Edit: And for reference, I didn't get a Wii U until May 2013, so I probably won't get NX at launch regardless

Gleethor

If its BC probably. Then I could sell my Wii U to partially mitigate the cost of the new console. But then the real trick is, if there's no new gamepad, how do you do Wii U BC properly? People can't realistically get rid of their Wii Us if they still need the gamepad.

Yaranaika

I'm not ready for it, it just seems too early.
With PS4 and Xbox One are just starting to pick up steam, I can't justify purchasing 1 console per year. It's ridiculous.

If they don't though, they will just fall further behind.

BUT, if it is backwards compatible with Wii U, I would, day one.

KHlover

Banned
Considering how much I love their games, yes I would. But I'd also be content with waiting until 2017 if that'd mean the first year wouldn't be so fucking empty.

Hell nah. I ain't just got shit to spend money like that and if I will by then, then I still think I wouldn't. Shit, I just got a Wii U for Christmas!

georly

Yes but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Yup. Blind nintendo fanboy representing. I've bought every Nintendo console at launch (if possible - had no say in the matter for NES/SNES as a kid). I'm not going to stop here. That said, i'll be pretty disappointed they didn't max out the wii u.

NotLiquid

Depends on the line-up they have on store.

Probably not. I don't see them being able to have that much in the pipeline to justify it for next year other than merely Zelda if it comes to that. Most of Nintendo's EAD teams are only just coming off of projects that released on Wii U. They need time to prepare their next outings.

In the past, I would have said Day 1, no doubt. But if Wii U wound down in 2016, then that would make two straight consoles that weren't even supported for 5 years. That's not enough value for a $350+ box, I'm sorry.

So it would depend. If it hit that budget price and had 2-3 killer launch titles. Yeah, OK. But I'm not supporting Nintendo based upon promise anymore. Show me the games at launch and don't charge a premium for a budget console. Then we'll talk.

Red Devil

Early next year(which I don't think is happening) unlikely at launch, if it was like holidays 2016(to which I'm dubting) then more likely.

MrBadger

So far Nintendo are the only ones with consoles this gen with more than two worthwhile games so yes, I'd buy it. Of course, it won't happen.

Rockk

No, Nintendo does not have the software to back up a new hardware release. So many projects are still in development or have just completed.

No. Not a chance.

I've bought 4 Wii U games that I love (SM3DW, MK8, Bayo 2 and DKCTF), but if there aren't at least another dozen by the time there are done producing Wii U games then I am flat out done I think. I could consider a new console at $100 or less, but only if it had the most amazing launch lineup ever.

I wouldn't, it took me a while before I could finally afford a Wii U and even that was after some sacrifices.

I would wait at least 3 years into the life of the next console before jumping in. If their digital distribution system isn't up to par with Sony and MS this time I'm not going to bother at all, because by the time I'd get one, all the games I like will probably be out of print at retail.

Escalario

Banned
No. The countless delays and lack of 3rd party games are main reasons why I only buy a Nintendo console/portable at least 2 years into its life.

J@hranimo

Banned
If its BC probably. Then I could sell my Wii U to partially mitigate the cost of the new console. But then the real trick is, if there's no new gamepad, how do you do Wii U BC properly? People can't realistically get rid of their Wii Us if they still need the gamepad.

This adds up to getting a NX-whatever at launch as well. Will they drop BC for all new architecture that is supposedly rumored or still hold that philosophy of compatibility is good?

Fuck yes I'll buy it. I bought the Wii U at launch and I still consider it a massive failure. Abort this shit Nintendo and give us something new to buy. Those handful of people like me that bought the Wii U shouldn't be your main concern.

I am so glad I traded in my Wii U to gamestop a few weeks ago for what I paid for it, I thought maybe they would release a Zelda special edition console this year so that was my major reason but its all kind of working out. Don't really care about any of the announced titles releasing this year.

If a new system is $300-350, backwards compatible, and has a goddamn online account system that is not from the 90s then I probably would buy it at launch. Wii U BC is pretty important though, I have a few digital and physical games I never got around to playing.

Top Bottom