• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Mentok

Banned
If it's B/C, then yeah sure because I can continue playing my WiiU titles on it until new games come. Otherwise, I'll wait a while until it has a library I want.

Lunar15

My rule for all consoles and handhelds is that they have to have three games I want out on the system before I buy it. If that happened next year, I'd buy it. If not, I'd wait.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah. I feel I got my money's worth out of Wii U between SMash, Mk8, and bayo 2. I'm ready for something new from Nintendo.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No. I just bought the Wii U a few months ago. Even if they fix all of my many issues with the way they make their hardware and the few I have with the way they make their games, I have no interest in buying another Nintendo console for at least three or four more years.

Nicktals

Banned
Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Reason I create this thread is because many post about the risk Nintendo runs in losing their hardcore fans if they were to release a console without the Wii U seeing mass market success. Personally, around $350 was dropped on my Wii U a couple years ago, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't at least seriously consider it. Nintendo products have that much staying power with me. Throw in mention of improved online interactions to compete with other systems, such as basic online features of voice communication and party systems to play with friends against random people (ie: I cannot search for randoms in Smash as an online party of 2 in 2015. Twenty-Fifteen.), and Nintendo would have me in the bag without a second thought.

I know I'm ready, are you?

You can easily find A Wii U, with a game, for 250. There are individual game SKUs released fairly often that approach half that number. If you like NIntendo games, buy it. If you don't, don't. Same as always man. I bought a basic at launch, and haven't even bought most of the highly regarded games. I've found it very worthwhile. But I have a wife, and a family, and the ability to play a game in the hour of free time we have while my kid watches an hour of TV has been incredible. It's also the only TV remote I've never lost.

God no. I'd probably wait and see how everything plays out. I just bought a Wii U last year and next year would be way too early.

Especially if the console ends up being a flop like the Wii U. I might just not get it all together. Who knows how long Nintendo will support it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah. The Wii U is a sinking ship and we all know it. I mean, it's pretty much totally sunk at this point. Why should I invest in it if we all know Nintendo is going to stop investing in it soon?

Some people get angry over having to buy another new console so early, but I'd have to buy a new console with a higher chance at longevity than continue to invest in a dying console. Nintendo's tried to save the Wii U, but nothing's worked. It's time to move on.

I think most of the people who own a Wii U do so because of Nintendo games and they delivered on that front with the Wii U. So with that yes, I'll consider it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, because three years is unacceptable for a console. If they're going to pull a Sega why would I rush out to buy another system from them? The smart person would simply wait for it to fail (because it will), and then pick it up on sale for cheap. I'm not a door mat for these companies.

rjinaz

Nah I'd wait a year. It's not that I think it's too soon. It's more that I'd have to make sure there is at least a few games I wanted to play on it. I'll probably do the same no matter what year they release it in.

PreFire

If it's gimmick free, and with hardware that isn't instantly obsolete.. Yes, I would consider it.

IMO, if they do release another console by 2017, it shouldn't be to match PS4/XB1 specs, it should be to surpass it.

Their games are always great. But I'd also like for them to have third party support. An exclusive console isn't worth my money

rjinaz

No, because three years is unacceptable for a console. If they're going to pull a Sega why would I rush out to buy another system from them? The smart person would simply wait for it to fail (because it will), and then pick it up on sale for cheap. I'm not a door mat for these companies.

2016 would be 4 years no?

Nicktals

Banned
Hell yeah. The Wii U is a sinking ship and we all know it. I mean, it's pretty much totally sunk at this point. Why should I invest in it if we all know Nintendo is going to stop investing in it soon?

Some people get angry over having to buy another new console so early, but I'd have to buy a new console with a higher chance at longevity than continue to invest in a dying console. Nintendo's tried to save the Wii U, but nothing's worked. It's time to move on.

What? If you're interested in future sales, you would call it a dying ship. If you're interested in playing some of the best games of the generation, you would call it..............(I'm hoping you'll fill that in for me)

Docflem

I'd at least be annoyed for sure, since I picked up a wii u about a month before they started making announcements, especially if they are switching development of games like Zelda and star fox over to the new console. For me I finally grabbed one because Nintendo was sticking it out so hard and making new exclusives that are so good, and if they abandon the wii u to die right after I jumped in, I would feel super burned.

HeySeuss

It could be both a good thing and a bad thing for Nintendo. It would put them on a schedule where it would stagger them even more from the release schedule of Sony and Microsoft. Previous releases have been only a year off from each other, but this would put Nintendo releasing about the midpoint of the other 2 generations. And with Nintendo's dismissive attitude with bleeding edge tech, it would make the graphical gap even greater than it currently is. We could have a Wii/PS3/360 similar gen every cycle.

balohna

Not year one, but year two? Sure. It's a bit soon, but Nintendo are still among the top tier developers and I enjoy their games. I have yet to find good reason for me to skip a Nintendo platform other than Virtual Boy (which I honestly would kind of want).

emb

Yeah. I think a four year cycle is fine for a console that's floundering. But honestly, I'd probably buy it if they released it on the same day as the Wii U. Or if they wait 4 years. Or if they release it two weeks ago. Point is, it's Nintendo so I'd probably want to at least try it. Unless I change hobbies or Nintendo gets out of the traditional console/handheld business entirely, I'll probably want to at least check out all of their systems.

I definitely know some people that would be annoyed though. My brother at the end of the previous two consoles gens has said how Nintendo always fails to keep supporting their systems, and how he won't buy them again (though so far he eventually does anyway.) Some friends of mine are on the fence about Wii U, and will probably just decide to skip it if the new one shows up soon.

trixx

Nope. No way in hell i'm buying it at launch. Maybe sometime later but definitely not launch year. Not even sure I'd buy it at all tbh.

Hiltz

Even if I were interested in buying a new Nintendo home console, I would not likely buy one at launch. People seem to forget how much of a bad idea it is to get new consoles of any kind at launch let alone 6 months after release. There's a general lack of games, lack of must-have games, the long process of updating a bare bones console's OS and eshop while we wait impatiently for it add in promised features that will take longer than a year to release overall. The last thing Nintendo needs is to rush out a new console, but I don't expect it to be out in 2016 anyway.

Now, I would consider getting a new Nintendo home console earlier than I would normally have provided the new home console supports backwards compatibility with Wii U. However, I'd hope the new console would have at least 1 must-have launch title and at least 2 must-have titles in the first half of the year, but based on Nintendo's track record, one game would likely be all there would be unless Nintendo manages to release another title in time due to its efforts with the unified architectural strategy. Also, online play must remain free. I would be very disappointed if they start charging for online. Lastly, the price point must be around $250. Hardware power would be expected to be marginally more powerful than Wii U.

narton

I guess it depends on what NX is. If it isn't going to be a hybrid, and Nintendo will spread theirselves even thiner with mobile portable and home, I don't think so.

DarkPhoenix

Neo Member
Hell yeah, I didn't pick the WiiU and I need so badly Nintendo games in my life.

I'd go crazy if they allow us to play WiiU games in NX.

Nicktals

Banned
What? If you're interested in future sales, you would call it a dying ship. If you're interested in playing some of the best games of the generation, you would call it..............(I'm hoping you'll fill that in for me)

"Hell yeah. The Wii U is a sinking ship and we all know it. I mean, it's pretty much totally sunk at this point. Why should I invest in it if we all know Nintendo is going to stop investing in it soon?

Some people get angry over having to buy another new console so early, but I'd have to buy a new console with a higher chance at longevity than continue to invest in a dying console. Nintendo's tried to save the Wii U, but nothing's worked. It's time to move on."

The agenda is clear, but the logic isn't.

-Horizon-

I would

Nintendo makes the best games :).

As long as a new smash bros is announced I am There .
I'm not sure it's good for Sakurai's health to immediately start work on the next one.

And we all know Sakurai will never let his Smash baby be handled by anyone else unless the higher ups gave him no other option.

Gator86

Fuck no. I've enjoyed the Wii U games I've played but that number is less than half a dozen and the thing is covered in dust now. It's clear Nintendo can't support an HD console on their own and nothing short of a Wii-type sales onslaught is going to bring back third parties.

emrober5

Didn't buy my wii u until the big titles dropped, would probably wait a year or so for the next console as well.

Mario Kart hasn't even been out a year right? Smash just released, Zelda will be on the u (although it could be cross gen), seems like the u has some time left.

Although, if the nx ends up being backwards compatible, and there were some great trade in deals, I would bite.

Gammacide

Was planning on buying a WiiU for Zelda, so yeah, wherever it comes out I'll be there. Hope it's NX AND that it's backwards compatible though.

Bulbasaur

Banned
For sure. But I doubt it will be next year.

It was said they'd keep supporting Wii U to show value and not lose consumer confidence, so I cant see them actually admitting Wii U is dead by announcing NX to launch next year. Zelda is likely the Wii U's swansong and expected to keep us happy until NX in 2017.

ohlawd

yeah, sure

depends on how large the Canada tax is tho

I don't wanna think about getting a $400 CAD box when it's $300 down south.

I am 100% satisfied with my day 1 Wii U purchase. No issue of loyalty here (which I wouldn't have anyway because I don't care). If Nintendo's next console has games I want to play, I'll buy it.

After the Wii U I wouldn't at launch unless they have an amazing lineup from the get go. I'd feel ripped off though if they put out another home console. Wii U just came out in 2012 (bought mine day one). Just started playing it regularly in 2014.

jbueno

Considering I just bought my console a couple of months back, I´d just wait a couple of years into its life.

Olengie

Nope.

Not for a while at least. Maybe it'll be as powerful as the PS4 and X1. But then again. This is Nintendo and might a slightly better Wii U. >.>

Top Bottom