• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

No... If Nintendo does the Eff them seriously unless it's a hybrid console/mobile thing....

I bought a wiiu at launch to play a grand total of like 6-8 games over 3 yeada. I can't support them after this.

If I can play my Wii-U games on the next console without any issues and they have a trade-in system for getting the new console then yeah I'd go for it.

Anth0ny

I buy Nintendo shit day one because I'm impatient and there's always something worth playing between launch day and the first price cut.

So I wouldn't even consider it. It's a day one purchase guaranteed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What? If you're interested in future sales, you would call it a dying ship. If you're interested in playing some of the best games of the generation, you would call it..............(I'm hoping you'll fill that in for me)
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't care about sales, but I know Nintendo does. There has to come a point in which they cut their losses, stop investing in the Wii U, and move development to the NX. What I'm saying is that I'm okay with them doing that sooner rather than later.

Shizuka

Honestly, no. Not only that, but as a Wii U owner that got the system last year, if they replaced it that fast, I'd probably never get another Nintendo console again, it'd just show that when they're not winning, they'll try to make face and discard the thing ASAP for another shot at success.

El Sabroso

if there is an improvement, absolutely

cannot expect a new console, but maybe a new model with improved hardware just like the new 3DS, there could be a new Wii U in development

Fbh

At launch? No.

In a few years once it's cheaper and has a bigger library of games?
Sure.

Still, I'd feel dissapointed if they abandoned the WiiU so soon

Azure J

If it has Nintendo games I want, I'm down. Otherwise, I have the Wii U/PS4/3DS libraries to keep me cozy until then. Doubt I'm going to do any more day 1 console purchases for a while though unless something launches with a Mario 64 level "gotta have it" in a genre I like.

deleted

Sure thing - they are relatively stable with their prices and I enjoy a big part of their games library. It doesn't hurt, that their games have a insane quality even at launch (Nintendoland is still pretty innovative by Nintendo standards and one of the best local multiplayer games around) and that it's been around 4 years since I bought their last console.

I'm there. Bring it.

Yes. I like their products. I already got my money's worth from the Wii U and there's still Zelda and Star Fox and who knows what else.

Daknight

Wii U is the last console I'll get day 1. I'll wait till the next year (or a year an a half). One for the problems with the console are solve (I actually had to return two wii U cause they died a week apart). For the console to have a nice collection of games (and some that will be cheap when you get the system).

This method of mine applies to all system in general, not just Nintendo. I tend too have two console (Nintendo and Sony (had a 360 but it died so went with a PS3).

kamakazi5

Yes. I know it's not a popular opinion but in this day and age I don't think consoles should last more than 4 years. Technology is moving too quick for 6+ year generations.

Yes, if they get their shit together and do the universal OS plans properly, with a combined handheld/console software line getting rid of the gigantic droughts and eventually relativizing instances in which some series aren't up to snuff (like on the WiiU). I can't wait to get rid of the WiiU, the worst videogame purchase I've ever made, and switch to a good Nintendo platform again. Wii/DS were still amazing, 3ds is good.
There's always the chance they fuck up though and that for example their plans they've hinted at eventually turn into a generation of ,,Smash Bros. for WiiU/3ds'' strategies, except for all series. Then I'd be done with them.

RK128

While I don't own a Wii U, I could easily imagine Nintendo releasing their new console late 2016. Once we all heard Zelda U was going to be pushed back to next year, the writing was just on the wall; they want a huge game to push their next console and what better then game then a Zelda one, right :l?

If I were to own a Wii U....I wouldn't get their new console honestly :l. I mean, just think about the Wii U for a moment; it is still missing a few noticeable Nintendo franchises (Metroid, F-Zero, a Pokemon Stadium-esc game, Wario Land, ect) and the system still doesn't have its 'own' Zelda game (at least the GameCube got two original Zeldas; Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures. The Wii got the cross-gen Twilight Princess and made for the Wii Skyward Sword. As of right now, the only Zelda games for Wii U so far are Wind Waker HD and if my guesses are right, the cross-gen Zelda U). So, if I was to be very picky, I would be quite upset if Nintendo were to make their new console :l.

Still, if it would get Nintendo to start having great sales for their home console business and that more people would buy their system....I would be happy regardless :D.

I say we wait till this E3; if Nintendo is going to announce a new console, then it will be then. If not, then I think this discussion is moot then :D. Either way, this is very exciting as Nintendo what ever is the case, the Wii U is still going to be getting killer first party software and their new console might be that console/handheld hyrbid that was rumored long back (and that would be killer :D! A Vita TV that really hits off :)).

I would, but I'd need some sort of account system or backwards compatibility to incentivize buying a new machine. If they have a new console, but I can import all my virtual console and eshop games over? Sure. Otherwise it's a tough sell.

I think their new loyalty program might come into play here and give some type of benefit to Wii U owners.

If so, I'm definitely in. If not, we'll see. I thought $350 for Wii U day one was greedy. I've passed on new 3DS, even though it looks somewhat nice.

CrisKre

Yes. I adore my wii u and their games, and this year looks great for my tastes in spite of no zelda. I will be fully satisfied with my investment by then, and I'm am adult and can afford it no problem, plus nintendo games are top quality. I will want to play them wherever they launch.

That said, i don't think they have enough time to prepare a new console launch for 2016. Launching a system takes time, and i doubt they have the resources to have the os and games ready in time for then, let alone the manufacturing capability to have it all good to go globaly. It will be 2017. And I'm ok with that too.

MisterHero

It's the same with any console purchase. You buy it for the gameS you want. I would buy one for new Nintendo games. It would be a nice bonus if it were BC with Wii U games/controllers and Wii's Virtual Console making it the ultimate Nintendo system, but they haven't been playing up their GC/Wii libraries all that much. The hardcore/retro appeal is currently sparse and they have a lot of work ahead to just getting 3rd party ports.

rjinaz

I just bought a WiiU. I'd be pretty frustrated. I'm hoping for a proper metroid, and maaaybe another Mario game.

Well right now you have over two years of games to catch up on, and you would still have nearly two more years of games ahead of you. Why would you be frustrated? 2 years is a long time.

Overside

Banned
Its not abut releasing a new console before the wii u sees mass market success.

Its about releasing a console before the people who bought their last one feel satisfied that they got their moneys worth out of a systems lifetime.

I would ride the hype train to my local GameStop to pick it up the day it came out.

Despite what NPD and sales numbers say, I've never been disappointed with a Nintendo console, Wii u included. They've earned my trust.

As far as it being backward compatible...how big of a hit on performance does the off screen play on Wii U hardware tend to be?

Probably no chance of it being BC w/ Wii U software (other than perhaps VC) due to a change in CPU vendors. That being said, off screen play has its own components to enable it, so it doesn't affect performance in the least bit other than the hit in resolution you take.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hell no. I just bought my Wii U last May when MK8 dropped.

I need a couple more years.

The people that bought the Wii U are mostly Nintendo fans anyway. They're the base. If they release a new console next year the base will (likely) follow. Since so few non-base people bought the Wii U, there is minimal risk in alienating this group. There is no 3rd party support so there is very little downside to Nintendo releasing a Wii U successor next year.

They won't though.

It would need to have a really solid launch library to get me on board. I stayed away from Wii U for two years because of the drought of games. Hopefully Nintendo learns their lesson this time and actually gets 3rd party on board and make sure their launch is a success.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Heeeeell no, not a chance. Even aside from the issues I have with Nintendo, I honestly don't have the time to justify being a multiconsole owner anymore.

Yes, absolutely. I've enjoyed a fair number of Wii U games but I'm honestly ready to move on from this era of Nintendo. If NX is out next year, I'll embrace it with open arms.

Overside

Banned
Probably no chance of it being BC w/ Wii U software (other than perhaps VC) due to a change in CPU vendors. That being said, off screen play has its own components to enable it, so it doesn't affect performance in the least bit other than the hit in resolution you take.

Do we know for a fact that Nintendo is terminating its IBM relationship?

Or are people going to get all pissy again when we see an 8-core 750?

Touch

Consider? Unless Nintendo reveals an actual piece of shit, there is no reason why I wouldn't thoughtlessly purchase it day one.

Azure J

Have we heard/inferred/gotten wind of anything supporting the notion that Nintendo is looking to switch their CPU vendors? Not that I doubt the possibility, but I'm just curious.

Guamu

Nope.

I still have a huge wii u backlog. I would not buy a new nintendo machine next year.

Throw in mention of improved online interactions to compete with other systems, such as basic online features of voice communication and party systems to play with friends against random people

I really don't care about this

AniHawk

a new system is fine. i buy systems for games that are out, not games that are coming out. plus, i will probably wind up with about thirty retail games for the thing.

Top Bottom