• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I would feel pretty bitter about it. Especially if Zelda is available for it at launch. A big part of that game is why I bought a Wii U. I just bought it so summer so a turnaround like that would be hard to swallow. I haven't played it that much. Still waiting on Xenoblade and Splatoon.

Yes, I would.

Just give me one good game at launch, I waited till Pikmin 3 to get my Wii U, if the new system has an amazing game day one I'll be there day one.

If it comes out in the fall of 2016, that's four full years on the market. The same time as the OG Xbox and no one seemed to care then. I'll definitely have had my fill of the Wii U by then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No. Feel snake bitten on my Wii U purchase and if they're abandoning it already then I have no interest in buying whatever they're trying to sell next any time soon. Not really sure a new Nintendo console could interest me at all.

New handheld would be an easier sell for me personally.

HardRojo

I still have to get a Wii U but yeah, I think I still would. I'd have the Wii U to play Wii and Wii U games that I haven't tried yet and the next console for the first-party (Metroid hopefully) output.

eznark

Banned
Of course. Consoles aren't so expensive that I feel some need to have them be useful for half a decade. Nintendo makes great games, so I'll buy their console to play them. Christ I upgrade my PC two or three times in a consoles life cycle. Accelerate the timeline!

Dr. Buni

Nope, no way. They replaced the Wii far too quickly and if they do the same with the Wii U, I am done with Nintendo consoles. Five years for a console lifetime is ridiculous, but FOUR? Yeah, count me out if the NX ends up being a console and it is released next year. Unless, somehow, it is both a console and handheld, but I think this possibility was debunked, sadly.

Banned
If the Zelda game is a launch title for it and Retro's next game is heading for it then yes. Otherwise it's not worth it unless it roflstomps the PS4 in specs and has third party support.

-Horizon-

Nope, no way. They replaced the Wii far too quickly and if they do the same with the Wii U, I am done with Nintendo consoles. Five years for a console lifetime is ridiculous, but FOUR? Yeah, count me out if the NX ends up being a console and it is released next year. Unless, somehow, it is both a console and handheld, but I think this possibility was debunked, sadly.
Uhhh...are we sure about that?

Bought a Wii U at launch. Decent but heavily flawed system filled with excellent games.

I really, really, really hope they scrap the thing and launch a new console in November of 2016.

Xbox November 2001
Xbox 360 November 2005

Wii U November 2012
NX (Assuming console) November 2016?

I didn't care then, why would I care if Nintendo did the same thing?
Granted, the situation was different given the success of the PS2.

melos

Really depends what kind of console it ends up being. I'd probably hold off for a bit if it's similar to how the Wii U works. If Nintendo went with something in VR I'd most likely be there day one but I wouldn't count on it considering how their last "goggle' system didn't go over so well.

legend166

I got my Wii U during a firesale here in Australia, so it only cost me $175 back at the end of 2013. I've definitely got my value for money.

Was like 6-7 years wasnt it?

I'm not buying a Nintendo platform during its first year again. Not
unless there are at least two games I really, really want.

Slap me if I do.

It doesn't matter though. They won't release a console next year. Maybe
the handheld version of NX at the most.

Bilollipop

Considering how digital I went with my Wii U, I'd definitely need to be able to transfer all my previously bought stuff onto the NX. And even then I'd still wait a year like I did with the Wii U.

No, releasing a new console that early is a terrible idea. As has been said before many times, it would be Sega levels of bad decision making and would kill both their market perception and goodwill. But IF they did would I? Sure, possibly, but depends on what they launched with, would have to be a very solid lineup. But I still wouldn't be happy. As discouraging as the bad sales are, I'm very happy with my Wii U and they need to stay the course until no earlier than 2017. Breaking the standard 5 year home console cycle would be a BAD idea.

As for the Zelda delay, GC already had its own original Zelda title with WW before TP. As a loyal Wii U owner I would not be pleased if Zelda U was changed to a dual release for NX. Plus it would possibly be tough to port the game to NX due to the new hardware architecture they'll be using at that point and due to that it's questionable if NX will even have BC (I wish they'd just forego BC this time, they need to just switch over to a 100% new hardware chip set).

In any case, I guess we'll see. These are strange times for Nintendo, that's for sure.

Kriken

NES: 1985
SNES: 1990
N64: 1996
GCN: 2001
Wii: 2006
Wii U: 2012

I don't really see where the Wii's life cycle is much different from the other Nintendo consoles, last gen just felt overly long

Edit: Yes I know these are Japan's dates, but the difference isn't that great for other regions

If the WiiU games were BC I would.

I usually don't care for BC, but having just purchased the WiiU I would be annoyed if it didn't unless they really redesigned their entire ecosystem to be forward thinking and having BC would hinder that.

If it launches alongside good games, of course I will. Backwards compatibility is meaningless to me and would probably hinder the console in the long run.

Slashlen

Not right away. I didn't get the Wii U right away, I waited until it was clear I could get the bare minimum of games to justify it. It was the same with the 3DS and it will be the same with the NX, whatever that may be. There's just not a good reason to be an early adopter on hardware that I feel like I'm barely getting enough value out of.

Reallink

NES: 1985
SNES: 1990
N64: 1996
GCN: 2001
Wii: 2006
Wii U: 2012

I don't really see where the Wii's life cycle is much different from the other Nintendo consoles, last gen just felt overly long

Edit: Yes I know these are Japan's dates, but the difference isn't that great for other regions

Wii to Wii U is actually the longest Nintendo life cycle in North America at 6 years. NES through Wii were all 5 years, '86, '91, '96, '01, '06

The people that bought the Wii U are mostly Nintendo fans anyway. They're the base. If they release a new console next year the base will (likely) follow. Since so few non-base people bought the Wii U, there is minimal risk in alienating this group. There is no 3rd party support so there is very little downside to Nintendo releasing a Wii U successor next year.

They won't though.

No offense but this is the kind of thinking that nearly killed SEGA

Yeah they're the base, and that's exactly why you don't do something that could piss them off and alienate them forever from your products.

Madao

well, i got the wii u at launch so i got plenty of usage out of it.

it would suck for anyone who buys it now since it hasn't dropped much in price.

Nintendo needs to be clear and announce concrete plans. this guessing game is only going to do even more damage if they take too long.

Unlike MS and the 360, with the Wii U Nintendo doesn't have endless cash piles to burn through along with third parties buttered up and on board day one.
And that's really the thing, isn't it? Nintendo won't have third parties on board. I already have a PC. Others have the same or a PS4 or a XB1. So what's the point of a new console? I already get Nintendo games in HD with the Wii U. I'd prefer 1080p over 720p but that's a minor complaint.

Depends what it launches with. The Wii U has been a total disaster and I'm not going to put up with droughts like we had with the Wii U (not that any recent console launches have been better imo).

I would also be bitter to see a new console launch with the games I was promised for my Wii U. Ultimately I buy these systems to play games. I generally feel safe buying even before certain games are here, because I can trust they're coming. If Nintendo betrays that trust with the Wii U, I'll wait until the games I really want are here before getting the next. If they launch the next with Zelda U and I buy at launch and it fails and they try and launch another with games that were supposed to for the NX, then from there I'll wait until the systems life is over before I buy Nintendo hardware.

Tl;dr
It's a slippery slope. They can sucker me a couple more times but if they have no third party support and can't deliver on their first party promises, it's hard to justify supporting them.

If they back off two platforms in either direction or share software on the OS, this could of course be very different.

Madao

Original Xbox to 360 was also a 4 year cycle and I don't remember too many complaints about that.

the thing there is that MS managed to convince the general populace they were competing head to head with Sony with it while they were just barely ahead of the GC, which everyone saw as a failure back then.

Nintendo lacks this kind of PR spin so the road is much more like Sega's road.

Top Bottom