• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Owners: If a Nintendo console released next year, would you consider it?

Do we know for a fact that Nintendo is terminating its IBM relationship?

Or are people going to get all pissy again when we see an 8-core 750?

Have we heard/inferred/gotten wind of anything supporting the notion that Nintendo is looking to switch their CPU vendors? Not that I doubt the possibility, but I'm just curious.

Well, AMD have heavily hinted they've gotten the deal. And their semicustom biz has not used PPC or indicated that it ever will. PPC on a whole is in a huge decline to the extent that IBM recently paid for GlobalFoundries to take over their fabrication plants. They're out of the semiconductor manufacturing business.

Hattori

Banned
I got burned five times this current gen getting all the consoles and handhelds at the launch, I think I'm going to hold off this time around and take the wait and see approach.

tronic307

No, we're not doing that again, especially with no games. Now, if something even more fun than Wii Sports were to come along I'd totally be onboard.

I've owned every other Nintendo console and I'm not going to stop now. Maybe not at launch though, unless it launches alongside a killer app... Then again, the only two Nintendo consoles I've bought on day one were the Gamecube and WiiU, so I'd probably be doing them a favor!
the only other console I've ever bought on launch day was the Dreamcast. I am death, the destroyer of worlds.

Honestly, a year ago I would have been offended at the thought of a new console launching so early, but Nintendo is in dire straits and I've gotten plenty of mileage out of my WiiU, with several big exclusives yet to come. It's paid for itself multiple times over as far as my usage of it has gone.

Sandfox

I've been expecting a new platform in 2016 for a while so as long as I see SW I like during the reveal I'll pick it up.

ClearData

Not after the Wii U launch. I bit day one in 2011 and it was tough. I love my Wii U, and the same could be said of the PS4 and Xbox One, but it took time for it to get going.

Not really. I got caught up in the Wii U hype but now I've realized that most Nintendo games don't even interested me besides the main ones (Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros). They'd have to have a really successful lineup with NX for me to consider it. That is, if NX is a console.

Azure J

Well, AMD have heavily hinted they've gotten the deal. And their semicustom biz has not used PPC or indicated that it ever will. PPC on a whole is in a huge decline seeing as that IBM recently paid for GlobalFoundries to take over. They're out of the business.

Pretty interesting stuff. I always thought Nintendo would fight tooth and nail to keep with the lineage established with the IBM and ArtX stuff in the Gamecube. Them moving beyond that is one of the more interesting (unconfirmed) things I've heard in a while.

Yup, but i'm a quality over quantity fellow and my Wii U has given me some truly worthwhile experiences that has more than justified its price already, i'd also like to see what Nintendo have planned next and if they can regrow their market.

Not really. I got caught up in the Wii U hype but now I've realized that most Nintendo games don't even interested me besides the main ones (Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros). They'd have to have a really successful lineup with NX for me to consider it. That is, if NX is a console.

Did you try Pikmin 3 or Captain Toad? Those are really good.

3 strike rule and the wii u got them there regardless of the status of the next console

Actually i guess if I count handhelds they're at like 6 strikes but that doesn't work in a baseball analogy

So I'm not going to consider it in a year or 2 or 4 years after the wii u.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Me too.

Not only would I not get it....the Wii U might be my last Nintendo console. And I dont normally do this. I usually have more than 1 console and Nintendo has always been one of them..

I had every Nintendo console to date...but I'm not part of the typical, current Nintendo fanbase. They lost me as a big fan when they lost 2 series to Sony: Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. Became a huuuge Sony and PS fan because of that. But...I always liked their exclusives... Mario n Zelda.

As much negativity that the XBO gets....I am more interested in getting that vs actually playing and keeping my Wii U.

I am way more interested in its exclusives vs Nintendo's.

Hell no. I regret buying this thing. Haven't even turned it on in two months.
You should probably buy something then.

Elliot Quest just came out, it's fantastic.

To answer, home console? No. Handheld hybrid that can act as a home console and absorbs my Wii U/3DS library. Perhaps with a bit of a spec bump to the Wii U? I'd be down.

Meesh

I'd hit Nintendo NX, but it mostly depends on what it's supposed to offer and who's, if anyone, is supporting it. I love Zelda and Mon Hun but I need a little more incentive I think next generation.

Overside

Banned
Well, AMD have heavily hinted they've gotten the deal. And their semicustom biz has not used PPC or indicated that it ever will. PPC on a whole is in a huge decline to the extent that IBM recently paid for GlobalFoundries to take over their fabrication plants. They're out of the semiconductor manufacturing business.

Interesting... And makes logical sense.

Too much logical sense.

Goomba64

Banned
man i'm out the loop. the wii u is a dead sinking ship and nintendo is going to ditch it? why, because the ps4 is selling more?

Pretty interesting stuff. I always thought Nintendo would fight tooth and nail to keep with the lineage established with the IBM and ArtX stuff in the Gamecube. Them moving beyond that is one of the more interesting (unconfirmed) things I've heard in a while.

Yeah, and it will be necessary for them to make future transitions easier unless they intend to stick w/ expensive highly custom processors. It's technically possible they've struck a deal w/ IBM and another manufacturer involving licensing the PPC tech or whatever, but it would be quite costly and not a trivial task in regards to the engineering.

I'd most definitely consider it. I knew when I bought the wii u in 2013 that the system had a very bleak future longevity-wise, but I bought it anyway because I love Nintendo games and wanted to support them, and I told myself I'd be happy with the 10-12 games or so I wanted on it. So I wouldn't be super angry if the lifespan would end at 2016, tell ya the truth I wasn't even sure if it would make it to the end of 2015 when I bought it.

Anyhoo, yeah I'd consider it. Love my wii u, and am looking forward to whatever they have coming up

Kozuka

A new handheld next year would be meh but i'm excited to see the 3DS's successor, meanwhile a new home console would be an heavy disappointment.

Shauni

man i'm out the loop. the wii u is a dead sinking ship and nintendo is going to ditch it? why, because the ps4 is selling more?

Nintendo announced they were making a new dedicated gaming system codenamed NX as a way to assure people they were not going mobile. They did not announce it was a home console, but universally it seems assumed that it is, because....er, reasons? And this delay of Zelda confirms it is and the Wii U is about to get ditched, because...eh, more reasons?

brett2

Even if only a few new Wii U games trickle out next year I still feel like I got my money's worth. It's a great system that I will continue to play for years to come. So sure I would consider buying a new Nintendo system. Whether the general public has any interest is another story.

I am so glad I traded in my Wii U to gamestop a few weeks ago for what I paid for it, I thought maybe they would release a Zelda special edition console this year so that was my major reason but its all kind of working out. Don't really care about any of the announced titles releasing this year.

If a new system is $300-350, backwards compatible, and has a goddamn online account system that is not from the 90s then I probably would buy it at launch. Wii U BC is pretty important though, I have a few digital and physical games I never got around to playing.

This times one billion. This whole post mimics my exact actions taken and exact feelings toward this situation. I am on a hiatus from Nintendo cause I just saw the writing on the walls with what I think their future looks like. I will probably miss a few things here, but THIS year specifically will have enough non Nintendo gaming to fill in butt loads of time otherwise.

I look forward to returning with the NX!

Rival

Gold Member
I'd buy it. I wouldn't be that thrilled with a new one so soon but I know that I would buy it day one.

As long as it has backward compatibility, I wouldn't mind.

They really need to figure out how to become another proper mass market console again, though, and that means really leaning on new technology and new gameplay possibilities. So, honestly, I'd prefer if the backward compatibility were basically just GameCube-style and they don't really try to shoehorn old accessories (and game engines) into everything.

I would take a wait and see approach. I didn't buy a Wii U until Nintendo's excellent showing at E3 2014, and there's a good chance Nintendo's next console crashes and burns even harder than the Wii U.

Sora_N

No, I would have to wait. I barely had enough time since I bought my WiiU this December.

Not going to spend on another console this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Probably not, but I didn't get the Wii U at launch either. I'm kinda over buying shit at launch.

I got enough to play as it is that I prefer to wait a year or two till I can get a deal, more games are out, and more kinks are worked out.

I got the NSMBU Deluxe Bunduru for $250 on the eBay Daily Deals for Cyber Monday and paid no tax + free ship

prag16

Banned
I've more than gotten my money's worth out of my launch Wii U.

But probably not. They'd have to show my some compelling ass shit. While I have gotten my money's worth out of Wii U as I said, at the same time it has cost Nintendo my previous somewhat blind faith.

RowdyReverb

The really nice thing about buying a Wii U a couple years after launch is I could wait for a Black Friday deal I couldn't pass up and there were already several great games to play.
Downside was that some games get hard to find and they don't drop much in price like they do for other consoles.
So, to answer the question, I'm going to wait until I can find a good deal on one, whenever that ends up being. $250-300 with a bundled game would be the striking point for me, just as it was with the Wii U.

If it features backwards compatibility than yes, absolutley, and I hope it's on par power level with what the ps4 and Xbox one are doing at least.

Minions

I'd wait 2-4 years to pick it up. The Wii U being replaced so quickly would really put things in perspective for me.

Regiruler

Next year? I want to say no but I'd probably instinctively jump at it regardless.

If it was backwards compatible that would make for an easier decision.

noshten

I think Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot if they release a new Console next year. First of all Zelda is not a system seller they need a far bigger lineup if they don't want to repeat the Wii U launch. Better have the next console backwards compatible with games being made for the Wii U and developing games once they have the hardware sussed out. I don't expect NX to be a console

Zelda is going to be on the Wii U - they probably underestimated how much resources would be needed to fill an open world for Zelda. We haven't even seen a dungeon from the new game, I'm guessing that populating the Open World Zelda with Puzzles and Dungeons is a lot more demanding - no one wants to see an Open World game which is empty. The content is key - they can't release it unfinished, we've seen the Witcher delayed and I bet one of the main reason is making the world interesting and unique.

Depends. If it has physical games, yes I'm there. However, if it's digital only or some shit like that I'm out because Nintendo is gone from Brazil.

Labrys

I just got my Wii U less than a year ago, I don't want to have to upgrade again so soon. Even if it did have backwards compatibility.

Some Nobody

Fuck no. But then, being realistic, my return to Nintendo consoles hasn't been what I thought it'd be. GAF hype influenced me big on getting a Wii U, but then I went on to spend almost no time with it. I have some of the big games, but I'm just not excited about them like I am games on other consoles.

Earlier this year I faced the facts: I really only bought this thing to play Xenoblade Chronicles X. So unless the N-X gave me a good sequel to that plus a decent Fire Emblem, it wouldn't be worth the money.

Top Bottom