• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pokken Pro Pad Now Works on Switch With Any Game, $10.97 on Gamestop.com

OmegaFax

For shits and giggles, tried to use the VitaStick homebrew app to see if the Switch would detect the Vita as a USB controller. No avail. It does pick it up as a USB on Mac OS X but doesn't allow inputs in OpenEmu.

This is amazing news that's kinda useless with the exception to Neo Geo games and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I'm amazed they didn't do this on Wii U when it would've been great.

That being said, I'm now less worried about the existing GameCube adapters not working on the Switch when Smash 4 comes out.

Also this controller is one of my favorites. I highly recommend it, especially when VC is rolled out.

Buying this for Puyo Puyo Tetris

CSX

tried to buy it along with a $20 gift card to get free shipping.

Then I got a error message at checkout and a pending transaction on my card.

Guess I'm not getting in on this deal lol....

There are a few games where the Pokken Tournament Controller does not work though.

ARMS, Graceful Explosion Machine, FAST RMX RACING, I am Setsuna, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (of course), and a few others where you can't control your character with a D-Pad. Which is unfortunate that they don't allow remapping inside those games.

On a side note, the 8BitDo SFC30 controller works on some of those because the Switch thinks that the D-Pad on those controllers is an Analog Stick.

BiggNife

Wonder if any other USB controllers work.

I tried an Xbox 360 wired controller and a Logitech USB controller but neither worked.
I'm assuming the Pokken pad was specifically whitelisted in preparation for Pokken DX. I wouldn't expect other wired controllers to work.

There are a few games where the Pokken Tournament Controller does not work though.

ARMS, Graceful Explosion Machine, FAST RMX RACING, I am Setsuna, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (of course), and a few others where you can't control your character with a D-Pad. Which is unfortunate that they don't allow remapping inside those games.

On a side note, the 8BitDo SFC30 controller works on some of those because the Switch thinks that the D-Pad on those controllers is an Analog Stick.

I mentioned this in the OP. I think it's pretty clear that if the game requires analog stick use, it won't be functional.

Eila

Looking at amazon mine was about $15 and I think it was worth it as a PC retro controller. Although not all games worth out of the box, for some reason. The gamepad just won't register. I think it's one of those d-input vs x-input things or whatever.

Great deal - ordered this for $17 from the site. I could've just gone to GS after work to see if they had it, but it's really hot out and I had subs to ensure got put in the fridge so it was worth the money to not lose those.

Platy

Shouldn't the Mayflash GameCube Adapter *in PC mode* also work?
201505291412475358.jpg

It basicaly turns into the upper one, but yeah

W8C8tV1.jpg

Just got one of these at Gamestop. It's nice for a small set of games but I need something with joysticks and I didn't think about how meddlesome a wired solution would be given the Type-C and the dock. I don't really like Nintendo's official offerings.

Off topic but how are the 8bitdo controllers? The joysticks look really attractive something like the FC30 (the Famicom one with the joysticks) has all the inputs I'd need to play something on the Switch like Breath of the Wild correct?

aznpxdd

Damn and I thought it was just me, using the Pro controller to play Puyo Puyo vs. Tetris blows. I frequently get extra directional input, which obviously fucks this type of game up with 1 wrong move.

Crayon

Damn and I thought it was just me, using the Pro controller to play Puyo Puyo vs. Tetris blows. I frequently get extra directional input, which obviously fucks this type of game up with 1 wrong move.

Luckily I could not find a pro controller in stock before this news of the dpad came to light. I would have been pissed.

Did anyone test other non-XInput USB gamepads with the new firmware to see if they work? We could potentially have a PS3 situation here, which would be awesome.

Just tried my arcade stick (MC Cthulhu) in PS3/PC mode, as well as my 3rd party Gamecube>WiiU controller adapter in both WiiU and PC mode and none of them worked. There goes my hopes of not having to buy another adapter.

I'd have bought this but my Switch sits in a TV bureau that's closed off with sliding doors. Can't be using any wired controllers unless I put the dock on top of the bureau.

Poetaster

Banned
Forget the Pokken pad, tell me more about this Official USB Saturn controller please! I want a 6 button, but I also want to buy a decent one and not a terrible one.

wait that exists?
It's a USB Saturn pad that's HID compliant, I purchased mine something like 8-10 years ago. I'm guessing it's probably incredibly difficult if not impossible to find one that's not a knock off now days.

tsundoku

im confused. op says to buy these because they DO have good dpad for not accidentally harddropping in tetris and stuff. but then also says the 8bitdocontrollers have good dpads and i thought they were proven to be just as bad as the switch pro controller?

Top Bottom