• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pokken Pro Pad Now Works on Switch With Any Game, $10.97 on Gamestop.com

SeppOCE

im confused. op says to buy these because they DO have good dpad for not accidentally harddropping in tetris and stuff. but then also says the 8bitdocontrollers have good dpads and i thought they were proven to be just as bad as the switch pro controller?

I bought one today and I've been using it for MK and fighting/arcade games. The pokken controller dpad is miles ahead of the switch dpad and I've already ordered a second one for tomorrow. Eb games was shocked I wanted both considering it was their last two game pads in my area. It amazed me a dpad has been my go to for even mario kart when before I was using the pro controller analog stick.

Madao

i ended up ordering 2 of these. the regular and pikachu editions.

this update was what pushed me over the edge since i was on the fence on this controller for a while but never pulled the trigger due to only one game using it. now that it's potentially a VC controller and, coupled with the bad Switch pro controller d-pad, having these will be useful in the long run.

plus, i get to use it in the Wii U pokken.

For some reason this controller working on the Switch menu feels surreal. I think it's because of the Gamecube controller not working on the wii menu, and having to use the remote (make sure it has batteries in it too!) just to select the disc icon to play.

Bought one at my local store. Guy had no clue what it was and was surprised it even existed. Controller feels thicker than I expected. Windows even recognized it as pokken controller.

BiggNife

im confused. op says to buy these because they DO have good dpad for not accidentally harddropping in tetris and stuff. but then also says the 8bitdocontrollers have good dpads and i thought they were proven to be just as bad as the switch pro controller?
Were they? That's news to me, I thought the 8bitdo controllers were well regarded.

At the very least I can tell you from experience that the Pokken pad works perfectly on switch with zero issue and no extra inputs.

HyperHip

Cant speak on 8bitdo, but pokken dpad is legit.

Jawmuncher

Had grabbed one yesterday. Nice controller for the games that support it. Definitely cheaper than buying joycons or real pro controllers

SeppOCE

Bought one at my local store. Guy had no clue what it was and was surprised it even existed. Controller feels thicker than I expected.

Pretty much my experience. The guy didn't believe it was USB or worked on the switch after yesterday's update so he had to check if it was actually a USB controller or if it connected to a wii mote. I don't blame him the wii u and peripherals were probably poorly marketed to retailers too.

Dr. Worm

Banned
fe548f8f22_7.jpg

L3 and R3 don't exist on Nintendo controllers to begin with.

It's missing the analog sticks and a home button.

Maybe you are just referring to the name L3 and R3 but the Switch has clickable stick buttons. I don't know if they are called L3 and R3 or something else.

yyr

Pikachu version now out of stock.

Regular version still available (grabbed 2, one for me and one for a Switch-owning friend). It's a great controller. I already owned one, but considering that they work with Switch, it'll be worth it to own 2. Now I might not have to buy a Pro controller later.

Gamestop has a fantastic trade in promotion if you anyone has games to get rid of. If you bring in 6 games or more you get 60% extra credit. 70% extra for me because I got a Pro membership too. There's a $5 extra credit coupon in the Gamestop thread in CheapAssGamer too.

yyr

Standard white controllers still available.

If you bring in 6 games or more you get 60% extra credit. 70% extra for me because I got a Pro membership too.

170% of zero is still zero, though...

Joking aside, I can't help but wonder if they lowered their values for a promo like this.

loudbill

I just got an 8bitdo controller in the mail today. After 4 hours, i still havent gotten it to sync with my switch. I tried everything.

Im glad i snagged one of these, cant wait to play king of fighters and puyo puyo tetris with it!

antibolo

Banned
I just got an 8bitdo controller in the mail today. After 4 hours, i still havent gotten it to sync with my switch. I tried everything.

Im glad i snagged one of these, cant wait to play king of fighters and puyo puyo tetris with it!

I'm gonna guess that you need to update its firmware, Switch support was only added recently.

Tealmann

Really hope Super Smash Bros. for the Switch will support these.
I actually always used a single wiimote in Brawl because of how much better the dpad felt than the stick.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Holy shit. Where has this gamepad been all my life?

• Awesome build quality and ergonomic design.
  • Great d-pad, ideal for retro gaming.
  • Works out of the box with Windows 10, so it's a perfect fit for RetroArch.
  • Works great for Pokken on Wii U (duh) and I have to assume that RetroArch Wii U can also take advantage of it.
  • Works great on Switch as well, though I couldn't make it work on the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo.
  • Wired, with a 3 meter-long cable.

What a fucking steal. This will be my go-to gamepad for anything that doesn't require analog movement!

Magypsy

Pokkén controller is legit. Played some Garou with it, what a blast. I'll probably get a second one soon.

I'm hoping Wii Classic Controllers can soon be used as well, because I wanna bust out my SNES classic controller!!

fernoca

lol, did Gamestop raise the price?
Well, original price is $25.
They had them for $15 for quite some time and noone cared (so did Amazon).

Lowered the price and still nothing, until this Switch update. Sold the Pikachu ones at $11, raised back to $15 the regular ones, also sold out.

Soodanim

I think this thread getting bumped is having an effect on sales. I just went to order one for some good 2D game action (Joey Ravn pushed me over the edge) and Amazon had 2 left. Just checked again a couple minutes later and it's out of stock from Amazon themselves (lots of sellers, though).

If anyone in the UK is thinking of ordering one, last night when I checked GAME had it for 20 on their site and that's cheaper than Amazon's seller currently are.

It's a USB Saturn pad that's HID compliant, I purchased mine something like 8-10 years ago. I'm guessing it's probably incredibly difficult if not impossible to find one that's not a knock off now days.

I can confirm that it is indeed impossible to find real ones these days. They made so few. It's unfortunate because they are so good.

Firmware idea for Titan One USB adapter: Allow all HID compliant USB controllers (like Saturn Controller) to spoof ID of Pokken pads for Switch use.

gnomed

Anyone order one of each but only had their regular version ship and not the Pikachu version?

Yes, I actually received the regular version today and have not gotten the Pikachu edition. The Pikachu version will be the new MadCatz controller. My friends will know how I feel towards them when I hand it to that person.

Called a Gamestop near my area that should have had a regular one 15 minutes after opening and get put on hold for 15 minutes. Hang up and call again and can't get through. Go this evening and they're holding the one they have for someone who called in the morning. Annoying.

So I also called a place yesterday and they said all their Pokken controllers were being held for people but call tomorrow morning. I check online and they should have some so I call but they politely say they sold everything.

Anyway after leaving the store in my area and doing some more errands I decide to go that store that said they were sold out. It was only 18 minutes away. I had actually been once before over a year ago and been to the Walmart near there twice in the last year. Go to the Wii U section and there's two Pikachu controllers with the clearance price sticker. I buy both (I planned on one but who knows if I'll find a regular one).

Checking store availability tonight that store no longer shows up. But my local area store apparently still has that regular controller.

I won't get a Switch for a while but I wanted a controller for my Wii U. Still need to get Pokken Tournament. It and Color Splash are all I need for a complete Nintendo North American Wii U library.

Anyway also went to some nearby Walmarts and got a Samsung 128GB MicroSD card for $25 and $3 copy of Minute to Win It for 360 Kinect with host avatar Guy Fieri.

I need to go put tomorrow anyway because I was given some misinformation about when I could get something from T-Mobile and now I need to hit a retail location.

Edit:

How many of these can you use on the Switch at one time anyway? I know the Switch only has 3 USB ports by can all three have controllers plugged in? Can you plug in a USB hub into one and plug in multiple controllers into it?

Top Bottom