• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Do any of the videos show the console next to a PS3 / 360?

Looked through the GB, Dtoid, IGN videos and they're just unboxings. No size comparisons.

zroid

Banned
Do any of the videos show the console next to a PS3 / 360?

Looked through the GB, Dtoid, IGN videos and they're just unboxings. No size comparisons.

IGN compared the Wii U to the Wii... that might be the best you can hope for right now. Looked pretty similar, just about 3cm longer, and same width/height.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Raiden

Banned
Welcome to the new era where video game consoles don't rule the entertainment industry.

You won't see any more hype for ps4 or 720 either.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will handle the 360 succesor in a bigger way then Nintendo is doing. People still talk about 360, dont hear anybody talking anymore about their Wii.

zroid

Banned
I'm pretty sure Microsoft will handle the 360 succesor in a bigger way then Nintendo is doing. People still talk about 360, dont hear anybody talking anymore about their Wii.

that might have something to do with the fact games are still being released for 360

Didn't know there were these giant recycling logos hiding behind the game manuals.

Never seen a DVD eco-box before?

Rootbeer

Banned
I've been watching these unboxing / "wii u arrival" vids and it's funny how every one is slathered with sarcasm and, well, overall disinterest. I know they can't all feel that way, so would it kill them to act genuine? I guess that's not cool or journalistically neutral enough?

zroid

Banned
I've been watching these unboxing / "wii u arrival" vids and it's funny how every one is slathered with sarcasm and, well, overall disinterest. I know they can't all feel that way, so would it kill them to act genuine? I guess that's not cool or journalistically neutral enough?

lol, I watched IGN's, GB's, and Dtoid's, and haven't really gotten that impression...

EDIT: well, ignorance is one thing, but I wouldn't call it apathy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Quite a few of the unboxings just seem very uninformed. As if they had no idea what to expect in the box at all, or what sort of ports the system would have.

I had to stop watching that gamespot one.

Yeah, it was bad. I much prefer a very vanilla, but quality one like IGN.

Drago

After all those fingerprints I'm happy with my Basic Bundle purchase.

damn right son

It should have been matte. I would have been happy with black if it wasn't glossy fingerprint frenzy

Even if it was like that, budget restraints would have still led me in the direction of basic and white, most likely :I

Quite a few of the unboxings just seem very uninformed. As if they had no idea what to expect in the box at all, or what sort of ports the system would have.

Yup, I was surprised that the Giant Bomb guys were stumped as why there were two different GamePad stands. Jeff had to be the voice of reason.

Pranay

I kind of agree with him. The core audience will care, but the mainstream consumer? Nope, that ship has sailed. You can thank Apple for that.

It will have a huge launch not as a gaming device but as a media device as well.

Whether the main stream consumer will buy or not depends what those next gen device offers but it will have everyone attention thats for sure

It will have a huge launch not as a gaming device but as a media device as well.

Whether the main stream consumer will buy or not depends what those next gen device offers but it will have everyone attention thats for sure

Problem is we have tablets and smartphones as media devices as well, and they get more public attention than video games. That wasn't the case in 2006 and before, when consoles were the only game in town.

I kind of agree with him. The core audience will care, but the mainstream consumer? Nope, that ship has sailed. You can thank Apple for that.

Not really on topic, but do the mainstream consumers in USA know about Wii U? I'm from Sweden and haven't seen shit or heard any mainstream consumers/media talk about it.

Pranay

Problem is we have tablets and smartphones as media devices as well, and they get more public attention than video games. That wasn't the case in 2006 and before, when consoles were the only game in town.

Both can co exist and i see next gen consoles not only offering great features which blow them apart and also the integration between your smart phone and your console will play a huge part as well.

dM4tC.jpg

Inspired by Murakami perhaps?
http://poolga.com/poolga/scott-balmer-mario-items

iphone_1598.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tank Tank Tank actually looks like a lot of fun.

It always looked like a lot of fun, but it's the full price tag of $59.99 that makes it a tough sale. Even $39.99 would have been a bit much, but more reasonable. $19.99 eShop title would have been the sweet spot for me, but I'm betting it'll hit that mark in about six months at retail, so okay.

Toki767

If the white one shows less fingerprints I might just try to make some money off the black one I bought and buy the basic model.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought the Giant Bomb unboxing video is fine. Not every person is aware of every little thing inside a box, and I'd rather the unboxing be a casual, joke laden affair than an overenthusiastic Christmas present unwrapping.

I thought the Giant Bomb unboxing video is fine. Not every person is aware of every little thing inside a box, and I'd rather the unboxing be a casual, joke laden affair than an overenthusiastic Christmas present unwrapping.

Giant Bomb's was great. The shitty one was the one from Destructoid.

Has Nintendo said anything about Wii mode? Will the games receive any benefit from running on Wii U hardware? I doubt it, but I'm still curious.

I skipped out on the majority of the Wii. After I tire of the U's launch lineup, I'm going to give Skyward Sword a whirl. Maybe I'll even get around to Galaxy 1 or 2...

Hoo-doo

Banned
heh, well I must admit I enjoy Jim Sterling's antics. Even if the unboxing wasn't particularly "good". :p

Serious question, because I haven't followed Stirling's antics in years, but doesn't his shtick get fucking old after a while?

I mean, there's only so much laughter to be squeezed out of being as loud, brash and obnoxious as possible, I would assume.

zroid

Banned
Serious question, because I haven't followed Stirling's antics in years, but doesn't his shtick get fucking old after a while?

I mean, there's only so much laughter to be squeezed out of being as loud, brash and obnoxious as possible, I would assume.

I feel like he's misunderstood. I've listened to enough episodes of Podtoid to get to know him, and he's not such a bad guy. And his "shtick" is more genuine than many realize. He's just an honest, opinionated dude, with a vulgar sense of humour.

I feel like he's misunderstood. I've listened to enough episodes of Podtoid to get to know him, and he's not such a bad guy. And his "shtick" is more genuine than many realize. He's just an honest, opinionated dude, with a vulgar sense of humour.

He just comes across as a pompous ass who thinks he's cool shit in the gaming world cause he is a gaming journalist, hur hur, fart/fat jokes, etc. I can't really stand the guy personally.

zroid

Banned
He just comes across as a pompous ass who thinks he's cool shit in the gaming world cause he is a gaming journalist, hur hur, fart/fat jokes, etc. I can't really stand the guy personally.

That's how he comes off, but yeah, he's really quite the opposite. (Again, you get to know him a bit better after listening to Podtoid for a while). He doesn't take himself seriously at all and constantly goes on about how he finds it hard to believe anyone gives a shit about anything he says. Pretty humble, despite appearances.

Anyhoo -- enough about Jim, heh, I'm not trying to be a one-man Sterling defense force or anything.

He crossed the line from boorish to scum when he started calling that one woman "an attention-seeking bitch" and a "feminazi slut." Among all the other stuff, anyway.

zroid

Banned
He crossed the line from boorish to scum when he started calling that one woman "an attention-seeking bitch" and a "feminazi slut." Among all the other stuff, anyway.

Yeah, he was forgiven about that though. They're actually on friendly terms now.

EDIT: v ANYWAY! Not about to start defending Sterling relative to Chris Brown, lol

Top Bottom