• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
$80 for protection plan. What say you, GAF?
I bought GameStop's for $75. They replace the system if anything is wrong.

Also, I love how Rogers doubled the download speeds of the express package which is what I have. This update is at 90% in 45 minutes and should be done in 15.

Synless

This is the same error I was getting last night. Tried again this morning and it is still not working. If anyone figures out how to fix this, please let me know.

You need to set up your IP address manually and your DNS. I recommend using a universal DNS #, it is the only way I got mine to work.

I bought GameStop's for $75. They replace the system if anything is wrong.

Also, I love how Rogers doubled the download speeds of the express package which is what I have. This update is at 90% in 45 minutes and should be done in 15.

I think Nintendo is bulking up on the servers this morning.

impirius

All layaway orders were to be held in a cage in the back room. You got screwed. I'd go back and speak with the manager.
We ended up getting one after about 45 minutes; I think the allocations for the stores in the area may have been messed up. A manager was coming back from another store with extra Deluxe systems. Not impressed with Walmart in general, but that manager was great!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man, the OS is obnoxiously slow. It's taking at least 6/7 seconds to load the damn settings or any other menu selection. They better keep this updated.

I really love the Miiverse from what i've seen, but if it's going to be a chore to get in and out quickly during gameplay that would be a huge bummer.

Banned
Canadian servers must not be as busy cuz my download finished and its updating right now. This things works oh my tv and pvr already I fucken love it!

My nintendoland didn't come with a club Nintendo slip wtf?

Sadder if they only have 5 systems ;)

Seriously - every store around me (NJ) got a handful of systems (15 max). Glad I trekked to the city last night to grab on at Nintendo World.

In other news - just hooked it up and the update is about 25% done, after waiting 15 minuites of so. Still sucks, but i expected worse after reading some posts last night.
Hah, they only had 3 deluxe and one regular.

Gameboy415

I got my NSMB-U pre-order from Target @ 8AM and was told they only got enough systems to fulfill pre-orders (14 total!).

I grabbed some breakfast and then went to pick up my DX pre-order from Gamestop only to find out they're not opening til 11AM (despite the fact they told me 3 days ago they'd be open at 9). :(

Kinda pissed they did midnight launches for game sequels this month but not the first home console launch in 6 years....

Oh well, I guess waiting 1 more hour won't kill me, haha.

Oh man wtf. I actually fell asleep during the update around 3am. That music is so entrancing. Now I'm gonna start my wii transfer. Btw I am loving the ui so far. Feels friendly and non pretentious if that makes any sense lol

I also love how light the wii u controller is.

Cbajd5

Is there anyway to turn off the gamepad screen when you're downloading updates/games/blah with it set to turn the console off when its done? I can't figure out a way. I like you can download multiple game updates at once.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SuperWii.jpg

Got mine wooo!

Updating

JohngPR

Sorry if this has been asked already but is it possible to output video via HDMI and audio with A/V red and white cables separately?

My AV receiver doesn't do audio via HDMI, so I'm wondering.

dkeane

Wooooo. Just back from Best Buy. Had a bunch basic packs left and 2 deluxe.

Update started. Going to rake some leaves. This is like watching water come to a boil.

I just got mine this morning. I have the console in one room while the GamePad is charging in my own room. It's pretty neat.

I was able to get the update started with minimal fingerprints. But this definitely won't last. The update is moving much faster than I thought it would.

Effect

Got my system!!! *jumps up and down* lol

Got to my GameStop about an hour before it opened but decided to go grab something to eat. No line or anything so I sat in my car and saw another person pull up and do the same thing. Once they opened we walked in as did another guy that seemed to come out of nowhere to get our systems. When I went to get something to eat earlier though I saw there was a line of people outside of the nearby Best Buy. Was in and out of GameStop in five minutes.

System is updating now as I connected it to my wifi right away. Have to go back out again in a few so going to let it just run. The automatic shutoff shouldn't kick in should it?

Never made it to the actual OS screen. Just the basic system setup. Since it's downloading I would think that should be enough input to keep it on.

TV question for anyone. I have a 720p TV. The system detected 1080p. I assume that the TV can grab the signal and just alter it back down to 720p. My PS3 auto detects 1080p as well. Is there a problem with letting the any system be set on 1080p if the TV isn't officially labeled as such?

kitzkozan

Went to Walmart and they were sold out of course, so I decided to hit Future/Best Buy next. I saw the line at Best Buy but decided to take my chance anyway since I had $240 in gift cards. They gave me a number and said that I was 100% sure of having it. Then someone in the line started a conversation and told me that they only had the deluxe version. 0_0 It's never been this easy to get a new console on launch day. :] They received 19 units, which is far more than I expected.

TV question for anyone. I have a 720p TV. The system detected 1080p. I assume that the TV can grab the signal and just alter it back down to 720p. My PS3 auto detects 1080p as well. Is there a problem with letting the any system be set on 1080p if the TV isn't officially labeled as such?
It's best to have the system use your TV's native resolution (720p in this case), that will give you a sharper picture and less latency. Other than that there's no problem having the system output 1080p.

Eric C

Is it confirmed that 3DS prepaid cards work on the Wii U's eShop? Canada always gets Nintendo's prepaid cards months after everywhere else so I won't be able to purchase from the Wii U's eShop for a while if the 3DS cards don't work.

I have an extra $20 3DS card, and I was hoping I could use it for NSMBU. If nobody confirms it first, I'll test it out whenever my update finishes downloading.

But if it's like the Wii & DSi points cards it should.

Yes, 3DS branded cards work on the Wii U.

Downloading NSMBU now.

What is the point of the pro controller? My best buy has them in stock. Worth a buy or no?

Some games (like Call of Duty BLOPS II) can use the Pro Controller, it lets you play local multiplayer games where the second player has a traditional controller, or you can play single player with just that if you don't want a controller that has a battery life of only 3 hours or so, and don't mind losing the touchscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom