• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

has anyone seen Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper at Target or Toys R US? I'd like to make use of the deal but they don't sell it online.

Linkhero1

Went to Target around 5AM and there was no line. A line started to form around 6:30AM. I was able to pickup a Delux, Pro Controller and NSMB U. Going to head to Toysrus later to pickup some more titles. Gonna also cancel my Gamestop preorder.

I'll trade my NiN ID with you guys once I finish setting up everything. :D

gkryhewy

Some games (like Call of Duty BLOPS II) can use the Pro Controller, it lets you play local multiplayer games where the second player has a traditional controller, or you can play single player with just that if you don't want a controller that has a battery life of only 3 hours or so, and don't mind losing the touchscreen.

Appreciate the detailed explanation. Sounds like a no for me.

entremet

I really have no interest in the Wii U right now, but man new consoles are always exciting. I was tempted to go the Nintendo World Store event last night and impulse buy one.

suikodan

My WiiU story:

I went to my local Walmart (which is two streets from home) yesterday before closing time (5PM) and asked the electronics guy how many units they had.

He told me that they had 12/12 consoles. I was a bit relieved so I came back in the parking near 10pm. I watched some The Walking Dead on my iPad while waiting.

Near midnight, there was still nobody in line so I went back home to continue TWD on PS3. I slept a bit too and went back at 3:30pm.

There were two guys in line and they were freezing so I stayed in my car. Around 4:30AM, another guy showed up so I went outside to secure my spot.

Two other persons showed up and at one point, a Walmart dude came outside to say that they had... 6 black WiiUs.

We were ok and agreed to respect our places and order in line so for the others that showed up, we politely told them the number of units they had versus the people already in line. Some stayed just in case but left when the Wal-Mart guy came and confirmed again their stock. A guy working on Watchdogs even showed up but was too late.

30 minutes before the store opens, they let us in to warm up a bit and the staff put a paper on the door saying that there's no unit anymore.

The store opened, I bought the console and left for home.

I knew I had to update so I started the process right away. Took an hour. Then the plan was to buy games with a BB Reward Zone rebate I had and we had some courses to do so I started the download for NSMBU. Hopefully the game will be ready and the Wiipad fully charged when I get back.

I also bought Ninja Gaiden since I'm a fan. Hopefully it'll be ok.

So far I like the UI but it's very slow.

Tom_Cody

Rolled out of bed at 9. Checked GAF and saw that uptown Target in NYC had units. Drove up there. I now have 2 DX units. This have been the most painless launch I've been through.

For the Wii, I had pre-ordered my unit at Nintendo World and I still have to wait in line for ~4 hours.

Hellish

TzMwJ.jpg

Unboxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKh8FXDRIyY
Rattling Noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_yuGNXFESA

Oxn

I really have no interest in the Wii U right now, but man new consoles are always exciting. I was tempted to go the Nintendo World Store event last night and impulse buy one.

I impulsed bought a Wii on launch day and stood in the cold for 4 hours or so. Sold it 2 weeks later.

Damn impulses.

Anyways my prediciton is that Wii U will be a moderate success, more than Gamecube, less than Wii in USA.

In Japan probably the same but much closer to Wii sales.

Hiltz

What is the point of the pro controller? My best buy has them in stock. Worth a buy or no?

Main purpose of the Wii U Pro Classic Controller is to serve as an alternative replacement for the Wii remote and nunchuck for some local multiplayer games, particularly ones that do not require the use of motion control or the Wii remote's IR Pointer. Of course, you can also use it for some single player games as well if you prefer using a more traditional dual analog controller over the bulky GamePad. Also, Wii U games can't be played using the Wii's Pro Classic Controller, so Nintendo made one specifically for Wii U games to be played with.

grendelrt

Picked up my Deluxe at BB. They had a cart with about 25 Wii Us in the game section. I left about 1030 and only 4-5 people had gotten one off the cart. All their pre orders were at customer service. They said they only had 4 people waiting when they opened, not what I was expecting at all.

muu

Local Fred Meyers (nw regional chain) had tons of both in stock. Thought about getting a couple but sounds like we got a 3ds situation again.

Purexed

Banned
Out in Vegas, but swung by Target at 8am and grabbed the last deluxe unit left. Several basics sat in a cage. If you're diligent enough, there's a WiiU with your name on it today.

I was totally able to walk in on day one and buy a system. I asked one of the girls at Best Buy if they had any non-preordered ones. She said yes. I asked if they had any non-preordered black ones. She said yes. I asked if I could buy one of the non-preoreded black ones. She said yes.

I am happy....

...but I'd be happier if this update wasn't taking so long.

20121118_1031544wse4.jpg

My story.

Preordered at bestbuy.com when the preorder page went up. canceled it a month after because i didn't know i got enough money. preordered in stores in september for the basic. didn't remember i had it preordered until a couple days ago. woke up today at 6:30 and left for best buy. no one was there. figure no one was coming or maybe it was only preorders only. walked to Target next door figure they will have it. saw cars there didn't know if there was a line or not. I ended up being the first there. they had 4 deluxe and 1 basic. a few people came too but was turned down. i remembered i had the preorder receipt and i figure i would give it some whoever wanted it. There was an asian lady. was turned down. that was when i remembered. but she left too fast before i could offer it. a black lady came. offered her the ticket. she took. gave me $5 in return. I stayed around best buy with her just in case the receipt was locked under my name. but we formed a line and they had like a 2:1 in favor of deluxe available without preorder. so she managed to get one for her husband which owns a man cave which is why Her > asian.

there were 3 other people at best buy picking it up. cool people. lots of jokes about taylor swift RED album lulz. one guy went to E3. i'm pretty sure one couple works or hangs out at local game store here (Game Ware)

i came for the Wii U. left with a haul.

Oxn

I was totally able to walk in on day one and buy a system. I asked one of the girls at Best Buy if they had any non-preordered ones. She said yes. I asked if they had any non-preordered black ones. She said yes. I asked if I could buy one of the non-preoreded black ones. She said yes.

I am happy....

...but I'd be happier if this update wasn't taking so long.

That girl says "Yes" alot, you shoulda asked her out.

No, you make your own. I suppose it can be the same if you want.

ah ok but does it get linked to the clubnintendo id or do they remain separate? Also, does the online store automatically know you have a deluxe model and apply the bonus $5 if you buy a game? and im also assuming once you transfer your wii VC stuff over those purchases gets tied to your new account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom