• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U resolution/fps reference thread

leng jai

Truth. I like how Nintendo is getting that right.

Honestly I'm a little surprised 3D World is 720p because it looks glorious in motion. Sitting at a comfy distance from my larger TV it looks nearly perfect.

3D World is probably the cleanest looking 720p I've ever seen. That's more to do with the art style though - it could do with some better AA in spots.

Do you have a 1080p TV? If so, I'm very surprised to hear you didn't realize. When I moved my Wii U from my 720p TV to my new 1080p display, I was shocked to see how much worse the games suddenly looked.

That's a question I want to ask.

My Wii U is currently hooked to my 24" 1080p monitor and I can see jaggies in many non 1080p rendered games.

Would I really notice any improvements in image quality if I connect it to a 720p TV, considering games rendered at 720p?

Thanks for this thread, I would propose a slightly different formatting though, so it's easier to read. ^^

[Source] Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 fps

[Source] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 fps

[Source] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 30+ fps

[Source] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1080p | 30 fps

[Source] New Super Mario Bros. U - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Super Mario 3D World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] The Wonderful 101 - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Nintendo Land - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Sonic Lost World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Mario Kart 8 - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Pikmin 3 - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Zombi U - 720p | 30 fps

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate does have a couple noticeable drops below 30fps in specific instances (Jhen Mohran's back, Ceadeus' tail attack, big monster in D.Island area 5). It's 30+ fps with drops.

VanWinkle

That's a question I want to ask.

My Wii U is currently hooked to my 24" 1080p monitor and I can see jaggies in many non 1080p rendered games.

Would I really notice any improvements in image quality if I connect it to a 720p TV, considering games rendered at 720p?

Yeah, my Wii U games definitely look a lot better on my 720p TV than my 1080p display.

Thanks for this thread, I would propose a slightly different formatting though, so it's easier to read. ^^

[Source] Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 fps

[Source] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 fps

[Source] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 30+ fps

[Source] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1080p | 30 fps

[Source] New Super Mario Bros. U - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Super Mario 3D World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] The Wonderful 101 - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Nintendo Land - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Sonic Lost World - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Mario Kart 8 - 720p | 60 fps

[Source] Pikmin 3 - 720p | 30 fps

[Source] Zombi U - 720p | 30 fps

That looks great!

Often throughout GAF, I see video games claimed to be a certain resolution and frame rate when they are not. I think it would be good to have a thread with an OP that has a list of games and their resolution/frame rates for reference. Technical performance and speculation on upcoming games can also be discussed.

Confirmed

Super Mario 3D World: 720p, 60fps
Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-super-mario-3d-world

Rayman Legends: 1080p, 60fps
Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rayman-legends-face-off

New Super Mario Bros. U: 720p, 60fps
Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-new-super-mario-bros-u-analysis

Pikmin 3: 720p, 30fps
Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/pikmin-3-performance-video

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: 1080p, 30fps
Sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pw4ND2_pT8
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/legend_of_zelda_the_wind_waker_hd

Wonderful 101: 720p, 60fps
Sources:
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/0/8/1/673081_279169_back.jpg
http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tw101launch130809_7.mp4

Nintendo Land: 720p, 60fps
Sources:
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/0/4/3/673043_266041_back.jpg
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-land-e3-performance-test-video

Sonic: Lost World: 720p, 60fps
Source:
http://n4g.com/news/1372308/sonic-lost-world-runs-in-native-720p-upscaled-to-1080p-on-wii-u-3ds-version-runs-at-30fps#c-8333330

ZombiU: 720p, 30fps
Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/zombiu-performance-analysis-video

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate: 1080p, 30+fps
Sources:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/monster_hunter_3_ultimate_will_run_at_1080p_on_wii_u
http://nintendoeverything.com/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-wii-u-runs-at-38-fps-on-average/

Unconfirmed

Super Smash Bros for Wii U: 1080p/60fps
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: 1080p/60fps
Mario Kart 8: 720p/60fps
Bayonetta 2: 720p/60fps

--

Will add more as time goes on.

We already have native 720p screenshots of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Just look at the aliased edges proving it's real 720p.

donkeykongreturns2.jpg

donkeykongreturns1.jpg

my Wii games looked much worse on my 720 22inch lcd than my 50inch 1080 plasma, specifically zombie u, very jagged on the 720 lcd, much nicer on the 1080 plasma, maybe that's due to plasma having a somewhat more inherently softer picture, lcd is very sharp and revealing.

prag16

Banned
I can confirm this, although it's only happened once and it maybe dropped to 55 at worst.
I'll see if I can remember the stage, and re-create the situation.

What the... you're claiming you were able to confidently perceive a drop from 60 to 55 that only happened one time?

jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

What you think may be a frame rate drop is maybe how the animation looks in that instance.

More likely this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What the... you're claiming you were able to confidently perceive a drop from 60 to 55 that only happened one time?

More likely this.

A drop from 60 to 55 is totally noticeable.

And I don't think he meant "It dropped that low for one frame."

Just that there was one instance in the game where the framerate seemed to drop, long enough to be noticeable but not too heinously and not for too considerable a time.

leng jai

Gamexplain had a hands on demo and said the game was running at 1080p/60fps.

They did not confirm whether it was natively rendered at 1080p though.

I wouldn't call it confirmed.

I can't believe it's 2013 and we still have to constantly ask if the 1080p claim is native or upscaled.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't believe it's 2013 and we still have to constantly ask if the 1080p claim is native or upscaled.

Nah man, upscalers are super good now it's literally the same thing! ! !! !

/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/

prag16

Banned
A drop from 60 to 55 is totally noticeable.

And I don't think he meant "It dropped that low for one frame."

Just that there was one instance in the game where the framerate seemed to drop, long enough to be noticeable but not too heinously and not for too considerable a time.

I know what he meant. If he perceived a drop, it was to something much lower than 55. Drops into the 40s, sure. But you and he must have superhuman perception if you can perceive and pinpoint drops from 60 to 55 regardless of the number of frames the drop lasts for.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know what he meant. If he perceived a drop, it was to something much lower than 55. Drops into the 40s, sure. But you and he must have superhuman perception if you can perceive and pinpoint drops from 60 to 55 regardless of the number of frames the drop lasts for.

When a game drops below 60 there's a noticable jutter, regardless of if it's to 55 or 45. That's just sort of how hard set refresh rates work.

Paz

The first page of this thread makes me so sad, if SM3DW can't claim to be 60fps with its >99% consistent frame rate I have no idea what can.

I never saw anything drop that big in SM3DWorld. That is a huge drop and something DF/Eurogamer would have noticed immediately.

Assuming the person doing the test, played the entire game, and it happens every single the time.
It could be a weird instance where it doesn't happen every time. For example, I played through the original Red Steel 3-4 times on the Wii. There was only one time though, that there was a SIGNIFICANT slow down in one spot on a level.
I went back to the level, and tried to get it to happen again, and for whatever reason, it didn't. I was surprised it happened when it did, because I had already played through the level multiple times with no issue.

Remember launch? Some of the performance issues was because of the OS, but I think the Wii U has trouble playing games while downloading. I don't do this, maybe someone has experienced drops while downloading something in the background. I know I heard something, it is not confirmed though.

What's the reason Nsmbu isn't 1080p? Surely it's not that hard.

Launch Title maybe? Struggle with HD development? I think it could do 1080p.

With all the resolution talk for the other next gen consoles some games that don't achieve 1080p are native 900p. Curious that for Wii U it is either 720p or 1080p atm. If SSB could have more effects and things going on I would prefer having 900p than 1080p to achieve it, obviously the 60fps must be a given.

Good round up. I think it's pretty obvious WiiU was built with 720p native resolution in mind, the fact that a lot of Nintendo games run at 60fps means that for complex 3D Nintendo games at 1080p/60fps the console would need to be at least another 200% more powerful than it is.

I just started Mario 3D World tonight after keeping it until after my PS4 excitement wore off, honestly it's just as impressive to me as any of my PS4 games (Killzone, BF4, Resogun). After a generation where most games failed to maintain 30fps, console games at 720p/60fps feels next gen to me.

I think it was Krizz who used to say that MK8 and Bayo 2 would be 1080p native but I was never convinced, if NSMB U, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 and W-101 were 720p then there was no chance MK8 or Bayo 2 were going to be 1080p. I don't think it's an issue though, esp as Xbone which is what 600% as powerful ? is running certain games at 720p / sub 25 fps.

Is there any technical reasons why Nintendo just might say "720p is fine" even although the console could output a game in 1080p. What kind of extra work is required on a 1080p native game compared to a 720p game, more detailed textures or some such ?.

It would surprise me if WiiU couldn't render NSMB U, Nintendo Land and Game & Wario at 1080p native if it's doing Wind Waker HD at 1080p.

Raysoul

Is there any technical reasons why Nintendo just might say "720p is fine" even although the console could output a game in 1080p. What kind of extra work is required on a 1080p native game compared to a 720p game, more detailed textures or some such ?.

It would surprise me if WiiU couldn't render NSMB U, Nintendo Land and Game & Wario at 1080p native if it's doing Wind Waker HD at 1080p.

Optimizing for 60 fps or a more stable framerate maybe? If that would be the case, I'm fine with that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Dude, have you looked at Nintendo Land? That's a gorgeous game. It's not realistic, but there's a lot of work going into making the lighting look that good.

At the end of the day, they could probably run all their 720p games at 1080p but it will without a doubt be at a cost of frame rate so I think at the end of the day, they're pushing framerate and saying "We'll push the best graphics we can as long as we hit 60fps."

60fps is sort of that little hidden gem that most people don't consciously realize but actually makes a big difference.

It's one of the reasons I believe Call of Duty has been so successful. It locks 60 and maintains it and as a result you can feel how smooth and fluid it is.

Optimizing for 60 fps or a more stable framerate maybe? If that would be the case, I'm fine with that.

Pretty much. Also consider that the WiiU imposes mandatory Vsync (part of the reason why streaming to the Gamepad works like it should) for all games, which adds to the overall graphical burden but provides an exquisite tearing-free experience.

1080p60 is over 2x the burden of 720p60. The jump in fidelity most users get jumping from 720p30 to 1080p60 (e.g. from last gen consoles to PC/PS4 etc), requires over 4x the GPU processing power, including the necessary CPU power to feed the GPU quickly enough to sustain a locked 60 FPS framerate.

Dude, have you looked at Nintendo Land? That's a gorgeous game. It's not realistic, but there's a lot of work going into making the lighting look that good.

At the end of the day, they could probably run all their 720p games at 1080p but it will without a doubt be at a cost of frame rate so I think at the end of the day, they're pushing framerate and saying "We'll push the best graphics we can as long as we hit 60fps."

60fps is sort of that little hidden gem that most people don't consciously realize but actually makes a big difference.

It's one of the reasons I believe Call of Duty has been so successful. It locks 60 and maintains it and as a result you can feel how smooth and fluid it is.

Yeah Nintendo Land is very underrated looks wise. Nintendo's visual strengths seem to be lighting, depth of field and animation. I wouldn't be surprised if WiiU has fixed hardware for depth of field as a 176GFLOP GPU shouldn't be able to pull off 720p/60fps with v-sync nevermind all of that with really nice looking depth of field effects and awesome lighting.

Much like the Gamecube I think WiiU punches, way, way over it's weight considering it's size, thermal envelope and PSU.

Pretty much. Also consider that the WiiU imposes mandatory Vsync (part of the reason why streaming to the Gamepad works like it should) for all games, which adds to the overall graphical burden but provides an exquisite tearing-free experience.

1080p60 is over 2x the burden of 720p60. The jump in fidelity most users get jumping from 720p30 to 1080p60 (e.g. from last gen consoles to PC/PS4 etc), requires over 4x the GPU processing power, including the necessary CPU power to feed the GPU quickly enough to sustain a locked 60 FPS framerate.

Thanks for the info, I always wondered how much of a GPU power leap was needed to go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps. I knew 720p to 1080p was 2.25x. Not to get too off topic but what is the reason PS4 can't run ACIV at 1080p/60fps considering it's GPU is around seven or eight times as powerful as RSX and it's CPU is apparently as / if not more efficient than Cell ?.

A lot of the people who were complaining and saying that WiiU wasnt a next gen console because it couldn't do PS360 games at 1080p/60fps are surprisingly forgiving considering PS360 ports like ACIV and Need for Speed are 30fps on PS4.

Raysoul

Thanks for the info, I always wondered how much of a GPU power leap was needed to go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps. I knew 720p to 1080p was 2.25x. Not to get too off topic but what is the reason PS4 can't run ACIV at 1080p/60fps considering it's GPU is around seven or eight times as powerful as RSX and it's CPU is apparently as / if not more efficient than Cell ?.

I think this is not just simple double the power, double the performance thingy. AC4 is ported to several consoles, so it is structured to adapt what hardware it will be ported in the future. This is one of the reasons why even powerful PCs can have a bad port of a last gen (PS360) game.

On the other hand, Nintendo makes games on their own consoles. They already removed the possibility of porting it to other consoles or PC, so it is optimized on the hardware from ground up. This is the very reason why their games are small in size (few MBs to few GBs) compared to other games (30-50 GB), and they also load really fast.

60fps > 1080p anytime

I love that a good framerate is one of Nintendo's major priorities.

sidenote regarding "WiiU looks worse on 1080p TVs":
It really depends on what TV you have.
The WiiU looks much much better on the FullHD Plasma TV from my parents than on my 720p LCD TV.
I could reduce my picture problems by playing around with the settings: turning down the sharpness; disabling "picture enhancers"; TV picture color changing from "cold" to "warm".
it helps a lot. try it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The WiiU looks much much better on the FullHD Plasma TV from my parents than on my 720p LCD TV.
I could reduce my picture problems by playing around with the settings: turning down the sharpness; disabling "picture enhancers"; TV picture color changing from "cold" to "warm".
it helps a lot. try it

That's just because Plasma TV's in general look much better than cheap LCD TV's.

I mean, I guess ideally you'd be playing 1:1 on a 720p plasma so the pixels are mapped perfectly and the image isn't modified at all.

Feindflug

60fps > 1080p anytime

I love that a good framerate is one of Nintendo's major priorities.

sidenote regarding "WiiU looks worse on 1080p TVs":
It really depends on what TV you have.
it helps a lot. try it

Couldn't agree more, TV settings (and of course the quality of the panel) are really important to the overall IQ.

I often see posts that say X game is a jagfest when the same game on my TV set was nowhere near as bad IQ-wise as people described. I imagine most of those hyperbolic comments are coming from people with badly calibrated TV sets, a thread with setting/calibration recommendations would've been a good start (if it doesn't exist already).

isual

Regarding deleting all the data on a wiiu.

If you do delete it all,the system won't revert back to version 1.0 if you updated it to the latest (which is 4.0), correct?

It will still be 4.0?

Regarding deleting all the data on a wiiu.

If you do delete it all,the system won't revert back to version 1.0 if you updated it to the latest (which is 4.0), correct?

It will still be 4.0?

it will delete just your data and not the updates. it will stay at the last update.
IMO it wouldn't make any sense to set the console back to a much worse state

Hypron

I think it could be useful to add to the OP a little note (maybe just something like "60--fps") for games with highly fluctuating framerate. I'm not talking about 60 fps games that run between 50-60fps, but for example TW101's framerate drops massively (and for long periods of time) during some encounters - generally boss battles). I feel like this would paint a better picture of the games run at a relatively solid 60 (SM3DW) and those that don't.

Can we really trust any developer comments of their games running at 1080p? I wouldn't believe it unless we can count the pixels in a screen or video. Everyone always says their game is 1080p and it turns out to just be upscaled.

For Smash do we have any reason to believe it's really native 1080p? The character models aren't a huge jump from their Wii versions, but it could still be 720p.

Also thank goodness for this thread. According to the internet every game is 1080p/60fps.

JoeM86

Can we really trust any developer comments of their games running at 1080p? I wouldn't believe it unless we can count the pixels in a screen or video. Everyone always says their game is 1080p and it turns out to just be upscaled.

For Smash do we have any reason to believe it's really native 1080p? The character models aren't a huge jump from their Wii versions, but it could still be 720p.

Also thank goodness for this thread. According to the internet every game is 1080p/60fps.

We've had dozens of 1080 screenshots for Super Smash Bros that confirms it is native 1080p

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
We've had dozens of 1080 screenshots for Super Smash Bros that confirms it is native 1080p
It's not uncommon for this stuff to vary during development. It's one reason why a lot of preview footage has a disclaimer about in-development footage not necessarily reflecting the quality of the final product.

I really don't think unreleased games should be in the OP.

Come one. That a remake of a Gamecube game!

It should be clear now that Wii U is a 720p machine. At least as much as the PS3 or X360 which had also a few 1080p games.

Unai

It does not. The Amazing Spider-Man tears like hell on both TV and off-tv.

Come one. That a remake of a Gamecube game!

That is true. But it is worth noting that most HD collections were 720p.

Top Bottom