• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U resolution/fps reference thread

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
It amazes me that Nin prioritize 60fps for the most part. And shouldn't this thread be about every next gen platform? It'd be more informative for everyone.

Also, this list is legit.

It's not uncommon for this stuff to vary during development. It's one reason why a lot of preview footage has a disclaimer about in-development footage not necessarily reflecting the quality of the final product.

I really don't think unreleased games should be in the OP.

Edited the OP so games that not have been released have their own section.

Native screenshots of the game are in 720p.

Aren't all Wii U screenshots down-scaled to 720p?

Just saying, there's no source that says that the game is 720p/60fps and the source you listed states nothing about the resolution. It's just off-screen gameplay. The Bestbuy demo I played months ago just looked so clear, it didn't look like 720p. We'll see in Spring though when it comes out.

Yeah, my Wii U games definitely look a lot better on my 720p TV than my 1080p display.

Thanks for answering, thanks all other people telling about their experiences too.

Sadly, I can't afford a good plasma right now. It's a bit expensive here where I live.
Maybe I'll mess around with sharpness or even buy a new TV only for playing the Wii U.

Is 32" a good size for a 720p TV or should I go lower for the sake of pixel density?

Yes, all Wii U screenshots are 1280x720, even if the game is rendered at higher resolutions.

Thanks for answering, thanks all other people telling about their experiences too.

Sadly, I can't afford a good plasma right now. It's a bit expensive here where I live.
Maybe I'll mess around with sharpness or even buy a new TV only for playing the Wii U.

Is 32" a good size for a 720p TV or should I go lower for the sake of pixel density?

Yes, all Wii U screenshots are limited to 1280x720

Yeah, that's not too bad. I didn't mind my 720p 32" LCD when I got it. I'd get a LED one though. 720p games on my 360 looked way better on my 32" 720p TV then they do on my 39" inch 1080p TV. It should still look good at 32".

Just saying, there's no source that says that the game is 720p/60fps and the source you listed states nothing about the resolution. It's just off-screen gameplay. The Bestbuy demo I played months ago just looked so clear, it didn't look like 720p. We'll see in Spring though when it comes out.

Thanks. Added that Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros. and Bayonetta are all 1080p/60fps but they are subject to clarification as to wether or not it is native. Can't really trust information if the reports are just repeating Nintendo PR, will need the games to be released/tested to make sure. Super Mario 3D World was claimed to be 1080p/60fps.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Couldn't agree more, TV settings (and of course the quality of the panel) are really important to the overall IQ.

I often see posts that say X game is a jagfest when the same game on my TV set was nowhere near as bad IQ-wise as people described. I imagine most of those hyperbolic comments are coming from people with badly calibrated TV sets, a thread with setting/calibration recommendations would've been a good start (if it doesn't exist already).

Having a poorly calibrated TV isn't going to add aliasing to a game.

Stet

Banned

Downscaling is easy to detect through pixel counting, I assumed that's what he meant when he talked about the aliasing.

isual

it will delete just your data and not the updates. it will stay at the last update.
IMO it wouldn't make any sense to set the console back to a much worse state

oh yeah, thanks. I just wanted to clarify. I bought a wiiu last Friday at walmart for 250, and I was concerned whether or not i got a returned/used wiiu.

From looking at a sticker outside the box, it seems its been there since January of this year...which would mean I possibly have a wiiu that was one of the first to be manufactured.

Added some more games. That Black Ops 2 performance is pretty bad. Meant to be sub 720p to get a good frame rate, and it drops heavily on the Wii U. Goes down to the 30s when there is a lot of characters/action.

Unconfirmed

[Source] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 1080p | 60 fps **

[Source] Mario Kart 8 - 1080p | 60 fps**

[Source] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 fps **

[Source] Bayonetta 2 - 1080p | 60 fps**

**It is llikely that most of the games above will turn out to be 720p/60fps once they are tested, given the Wii U's hardware.

--

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

Will add more as time goes on.

Why are you deliberately ignoring physical proof: the native 720p and upscaled 1080p screenshots we have?

All Those 3 games are native 720p and we have screenshots to prove it:
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
We have pure native 720p screenshots:
http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2013/06/donkeykongreturns2.jpg

- Mario Kart 8
We have 1080p upscaled from native 720p screenshots: the aliased edges are typical 720p native.
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/mig/2/5/7/7/2042577-718939_20130611_021.jpg

- Bayonetta 2
Like MK8 we have 1080p upscaled from native 720p screenshots. Notice again the obvious 720p sized aliased edges:
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/mig/2/4/1/5/2042415-683293_20130611_016.jpg

Only Super Smash Bros seems real native 1080p.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is 720p.

I looked for PNG files for the game so that it wouldn't have the typical JPEG compression on it.

One of the only website I could find with the framegrabbed PNGs. It actually looks like PNG's taken from a high-bitrate video rather than Youtube.

Link

wiiu_dkcountry_scrn01_e3_by_aloo81-d6ywzvo.png

You can tell by looking at the aliasing that those screenshots are without a doubt rendered at native res with no scaling done. Games 720p native.

tkscz

Why are you deliberately ignoring physical proof: the native 720p and upscaled 1080p screenshots we have?

All Those 3 games are native 720p and we have screenshots to prove it:
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
We have pure native 720p screenshots:
http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2013/06/donkeykongreturns2.jpg

- Mario Kart 8
We have 1080p upscaled from native 720p screenshots: the aliased edges are typical 720p native.
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/mig/2/5/7/7/2042577-718939_20130611_021.jpg

- Bayonetta 2
Like MK8 we have 1080p upscaled from native 720p screenshots. Notice again the obvious 720p sized aliased edges:
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/mig/2/4/1/5/2042415-683293_20130611_016.jpg

Only Super Smash Bros seems real native 1080p.

Aren't those E3 screens of DKC:TF? The game had a graphical upgrade sense, someone pointed out a lighting boost and much less aliasing.

I looked for PNG files for the game so that it wouldn't have the typical JPEG compression on it.

One of the only website I could find with the framegrabbed PNGs. It actually looks like PNG's taken from a high-bitrate video rather than Youtube.

Link

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/356/1/6/wiiu_dkcountry_scrn01_e3_by_aloo81-d6ywzvo.png[ /IMG]

You can tell by looking at the aliasing that those screenshots are without a doubt rendered at native res with no scaling done. Games 720p native.[/QUOTE]It's a shame that the game is 720p but I'm fairly sure I've noticed something even better than 1080p:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/inUu6ep.jpg

What do you guys think? I've never seen a game with a character that round and free of edges.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
^Quite a bit of jaggies there, looks like a really good game still.

The aliasing is how you can tell it's native 720p. 1080p rendered games downsampled to 720p clears up aliasing. The aliasing in the images is clearly native res.

Cuburt

On a somewhat side note: I've found it annoying that for reviews/performance comparisons with the Wii U and the PS360 that the frame rate dips in Wii U multiplats are often emphasized, while screen tearing in other versions gets down played, even when they make a note of how often screen tearing happens.

I would think the Wii U having V-Sync would be a good compromise in many cases if the frame rate stayed in a reasonable (playable) range, if that meant no screen tearing.

It just seems crazy to me that dips that many people might not notice suddenly make a game an inferior version, and yet screen tearing, which is often much more noticeable, doesn't carry the same stigma, as if people just have begun to accept that console games will have screen tearing last generation.

I don't know, maybe I'm the one who is crazy.

Monster Hunter is perfect 1080p. I play it on my monitor all the time at a distance of like one foot, it's absolutely glorious. No AA though, and the Nargacuga armor being seperate from the body, instead of a texture on the body makes it particularly noticeable as 1080/no AA.

It does like it's 30's framerate though. 3DS version is more stable in that regard.

69wpm

Cross posting from another topic:

If I'm not mistaken the new build also has better AA, or maybe it really is 1080p, we'll see.

fdonkeykong3jjr6.png

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that the game is 720p but I'm fairly sure I've noticed something even better than 1080p:

What do you guys think? I've never seen a game with a character that round and free of edges.
Haha.

Feindflug

Having a poorly calibrated TV isn't going to add aliasing to a game.

Cranked up sharpness & having post process crap like edge enhancement or digital noise reduction on will introduce artifacts and extra fuzziness in edges and will make a game with no AA for example look much rougher than it actually is.

CPCunha

...soooo... should i move the Wii U to my 720p set? I think it's universal that the native 720p games look better, but what about the ones running at 1080p? Any of you guys have offscreen pics showing the differences?

Also, my 720p set is actually a 1366×768 sony tv.

jakomocha

The Amazing Spider-Man tears like hell on both TV and off-tv.

Oh god, I had to turn away from the screen sometimes while playing that game because the screen tearing was so bad on the Wii U version that my head started hurting. Even when scrolling through comics the screen teared, which is downright ridiculous. Especially considering how much later the Wii U version came out, it shouldn't have looked worse and teared way more than the other versions (not including the Vita version).

Xun

You can tell by looking at the aliasing that those screenshots are without a doubt rendered at native res with no scaling done. Games 720p native.
Those are old screenshots.

Take a look at these 720p screenshots from the latest build:

iHFBUP2sS9QC1.png

I'm pretty damn sure it's 1080p downscaled to 720p, especially going by how clean it is.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

iHFBUP2sS9QC1.png

I'm pretty damn sure it's 1080p downscaled to 720p, especially going by how clean it is.

Looking at those, that does definitely look like a higher resolution downsampled. There does seem to be an odd blur as well so they might also be incorporating FXAA? Which if so, ~ughhh~

BY2K

Membero Americo

iHFBUP2sS9QC1.png

Those screens are clean as fuck.

So have we gone from Donkey Kong definitely being 720p due to the screenshots...to now not being so sure because of the image quality of screenshots from a newer build?

beril

So, DKC is 720p, how about Smash Bros?
I heard that smash bros is 1080p... Is it native? scaled?

the Smash screens are native 1080p with no AA. Whether the final build will be able to keep that resolution is too early to say but the lack of AA tells us that it's not bullshots

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
the Smash screens are native 1080p with no AA. Whether the final build will be able to keep that resolution is too early to say but the lack of AA tells us that it's not bullshots

Interesting. It should be 60fps too, right? If memory serves, both Melee and Brawl were 60, so obviously a lower frame rate would be pretty much unacceptable.

catmario

Thanks for your tip!
I'm waiting for your brand new game!

Jibbed

It made me laugh that this thread even exists.

Not knocking the WiiU or anything, I wouldn't mind a proper go on one to be honest!

It's a shame that the game is 720p but I'm fairly sure I've noticed something even better than 1080p:
inUu6ep.jpg

I think people need to stop trying to deduce tesselation or polycount from stills of videos of pre-release games. Hell, people need to stop doing that in general. It comes up occasionally in the WiiU GPU thread, and rightly gets called out there too. It's impossible to tell how an effect is created given there are any number of ways to accomplish it. Until we have a post mortem from the dev, assuming too much is pointless. Nice rounded surfaces can be accomplished with various texture mapping techniques and/or shaders. I mean, why render lots of polys when you can bake that detail into a normal map and use something with less "cost"?

Not knocking the WiiU or anything, I wouldn't mind a proper go on one to be honest!

Not trying to fight or anything but really?

A lot of games are 720p60 with new effects like DOF, new lightning, that on its own is pretty impressive for the little box IMO. Some are even 1080p.

inUu6ep.jpg

No tessellation.

1) That would be an absolute waste.
2) No, it doesn't look even that "rounded" Look at everything else on the screen.

Pretty much. Also consider that the WiiU imposes mandatory Vsync (part of the reason why streaming to the Gamepad works like it should) for all games, which adds to the overall graphical burden but provides an exquisite tearing-free experience.

1080p60 is over 2x the burden of 720p60. The jump in fidelity most users get jumping from 720p30 to 1080p60 (e.g. from last gen consoles to PC/PS4 etc), requires over 4x the GPU processing power, including the necessary CPU power to feed the GPU quickly enough to sustain a locked 60 FPS framerate.

Mandatory? Tell that to Beenox with Amazing Spider-Man!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So have we gone from Donkey Kong definitely being 720p due to the screenshots...to now not being so sure because of the image quality of screenshots from a newer build?

The E3 build was absolutely 720p.

These new screenshots look like it's not rendered natively at 1080p because the IQ is super clean, which means it's likely rendered at a higher resolution.

But - there's also a bit of a blur on it which means there may be some FXAA implemented as well which is kind of a bummer.

It's just a useful thread for people who want to play their games in ideal conditions.

If a games 1080p I wanna play it at 1080p. If a games 720p I'd rather not play it scaled and will play it displayed at native 720p.

I think people need to stop trying to deduce tesselation or polycount from stills of videos of pre-release games. Hell, people need to stop doing that in general. It comes up occasionally in the WiiU GPU thread, and rightly gets called out there too. It's impossible to tell how an effect is created given there are any number of ways to accomplish it. Until we have a post mortem from the dev, assuming too much is pointless. Nice rounded surfaces can be accomplished with various texture mapping techniques and/or shaders. I mean, why render lots of polys when you can bake that detail into a normal map and use something with less "cost"?

No tessellation.

1) That would be an absolute waste.
2) No, it doesn't look even that "rounded" Look at everything else on the screen.

Nah guys theres definitely tesselation look how round it is??

Well we finally have confirmation. Updated the OP. The unconfirmed 1080p/60fps games are looking less likely to be 1080p, and if they all turn out to be 720p, that would make Rayman Legends continue to be the performance champion.

Does anyone else here own Just Dance 2014? I don't understand. The game interface looks like it's 1080p/60fps yet it seems the actual pre-recorded videos of dancers/backgrounds are 720p upscaled to 1080p, and 30 or 24fps.

Top Bottom