• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

GC stuff isn't compatible at all. I don't believe any Wii U games can use a Wii Pro controller. You can use a Wii Pro controller to play Wii games on the Wii U.

I'm pretty sure Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed does
I think S0L confirmed it some time ago. Not sure about other games tho

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I finally got actually play one of these at my girlfriend's place the other day and wow, it really is something you have to play to have any interest in. All the trailers/ads/Nintendo Directs will never properly convey the potential of this system, and all I played was Nintendoland.

Looking to buy one now, although I'm being patient as there aren't really any games I'd buy flat out just yet.

totally representative of how fucking hard this thing probably is for Nintendo to market...

There is that ZombiU Deluxe bundle coming out. Maybe that'd be worth looking into?

fernoca

Black Ops II and Skylanders Giants are also compatible with the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

Here's an "old pic" I took while playing Black Ops II:
QWJcZjm.jpg
:p

Roo

Black Ops II and Skylanders Giants are also compatible with the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

I want to buy one of these cases for my Wii U gamepad
how does it feel? I mean.. does it interfere when you're using the sticks/buttons?

It looks beveled so I guess it feels ok at least
some impressions are appreciated :p

fernoca

I want to buy one of these cases for my Wii U gamepad
how does it feel? I mean.. does it interfere when you're using the sticks/buttons?

It looks beveled so I guess it feels ok at least
some impressions are appreciated :p

Hehe...well, to me it feels the same. Doesn't interfere, the bevel is not really pronounced. The best thing is that I don't have to worry about smudges/fingerprints, which is a huge plus in my book. :p

Tenki

It seems in the last update Nintendo removed the option of outputting video via HDMI and audio via AV in Wii Mode. Great, now I don't have sound because I play on a monitor without speakers.

I love my Wii U, but some decisions taken by Nintendo are...

Roo

Hehe...well, to me it feels the same. Doesn't interfere, the bevel is not really pronounced. The best thing is that I don't have to worry about smudges/fingerprints, which is a huge plus in my book. :p

This is like the number one reason I want to buy one lol
thanks for the reply :p

dwu8991

Banned
It seems in the last update Nintendo removed the option of outputting video via HDMI and audio via AV in Wii Mode. Great, now I don't have sound because I play on a monitor without speakers.

I love my Wii U, but some decisions taken by Nintendo are...

Just upgrade your PC/TV monitor for $100

Samsung have really cheap LED TV with sound and PIP

Lizardus

For those who own BLOPS 2, Is the wiimote aiming as good as the wii COD games? I already have it on PC but I want to pick it up because friend has it and waiting for lego city and MH is going to be terrible.

EDIT: I have a blue condom that I put it for smudges. Its average, does what it intends to do.

Pineconn

For those who own BLOPS 2, Is the wiimote aiming as good as the wii COD games? I already have it on PC but I want to pick it up because friend has it and waiting for lego city and MH is going to be terrible.

It's better at this point. The Wiimote controls were awful during the first month, but Treyarch has patched them since.

Lag comp is still a bitch to deal with, though.

Lizardus

It's better at this point. The Wiimote controls were awful during the first month, but Treyarch has patched them since.

Lag comp is still a bitch to deal with, though.

Nice, I also heard that aim-assist
fucking dual analogue peasants
is hard-coded into the game, is this true?

SmokeMaxX

If it is, it feels like it's less than 360. Or maybe it's just the position of the sticks that's screwing me up. I used to go to tournaments for the 360 version and I'm just getting the hang of it on gamepad.

Pineconn

Heh. Dual analog aim assist is pretty powerful (easily noticeable in killcams), so we have to deal with that. About two weeks ago Treyarch attempted to buff the Wiimote aim assist to match that of dual analog, but it was easily exploitable (you could lock on and it would track the enemy perfectly, assuming you didn't move the Wiimote). In response, Treyarch removed Wiimote aim assist altogether, citing that they'll add it back in when it's fixed. Dual analog aim assist always helps your hipfire aim, regardless of if it's on or off, I think. For Wiimote, aim assist was hard-coded into Zombies until they removed it a few days ago via a hotfix.

I don't use aim assist anyway, but it's kind of crummy situation for us. They should nix it for all control methods.

Regarding lag comp, it can be your best friend or worst enemy. I had a 2.3 KDR in GE and MW3 but a 1.3 KDR in BO2. I know someone who consistently has an unfair lag shield and boasts a 3.57 KDR (and rising). It really sucks, but that's Treyarch for you.

Still, the game is fun.

Lizardus

Heh. Dual analog aim assist is pretty powerful (easily noticeable in killcams), so we have to deal with that. About two weeks ago Treyarch attempted to buff the Wiimote aim assist to match that of dual analog, but it was easily exploitable (you could lock on and it would track the enemy perfectly, assuming you didn't move the Wiimote). In response, Treyarch removed Wiimote aim assist altogether, citing that they'll add it back in when it's fixed. Dual analog aim assist always helps your hipfire aim, regardless of if it's on or off, I think. For Wiimote, aim assist was hard-coded into Zombies until they removed it a few days ago via a hotfix.

I don't use aim assist anyway, but it's kind of crummy situation for us. They should nix it for all control methods.

Regarding lag comp, it can be your best friend or worst enemy. I had a 2.3 KDR in GE and MW3 but a 1.3 KDR in BO2. I know someone who consistently has an unfair lag shield and boasts a 3.57 KDR (and rising). It really sucks, but that's Treyarch for you.

Still, the game is fun.

Awesome, why would they even put aim assist for wiimote?

Will get the game then.

Pineconn

Because Wiimote users bitched about DA aim assist, for good reason. We wanted it to be reduced, but instead they tried to buff the Wiimote aim assist.

If you care to follow the "official" forum for the game, go here. The main Wii U dev is A_Trey_U.

Tekken can also use Wii Classic Controllers, which is great since the game supports 4 players. Similar to Sonic (although Sonic supports 5).

SmokeMaxX

Because Wiimote users bitched about DA aim assist, for good reason. We wanted it to be reduced, but instead they tried to buff the Wiimote aim assist.

If you care to follow the "official" forum for the game, go here. The main Wii U dev is A_Trey_U.

Eh, I don't know if aim assist should be removed entirely for DA. It's pretty obvious that without Aim Assist, a good wii remote user should demolish a good DA user. The problem is that the learning curve for Wii remote is probably higher than DA especially considering people using DA probably come from other systems so they have more experience. There should be a balance, but it shouldn't lead to a free win for wii remote users.

JaseMath

Does that controller work for Wii/VC games as a CC replacement? I would love to ditch my old classic controller.

fernoca

Does that controller work for Wii/VC games as a CC replacement? I would love to ditch my old classic controller.
Yep. It also works as a Wii Remote replacement (IR pointer, motion sensor too). There's a switch in the back for it, for games that use exclusively the Wii Remote sideways (New Super Mario Bros. Wii -U version too-, Metroid Other M, etc.).

It's technically a Wii controller (the original intention was to make it also compatible as a Wii U Pro Controller, but guess it didn't worked out); so it works with any game that uses either the Wii Remote only or the Classic Controller.

Have mine for a little over a month, still works fine. Used it yesterday to play the Kirby Collection, Last Story and Black Ops II. But reviews are mixed, so keep that in mind as it seems there's some luck involved too. The analog sticks take a few uses to actually be good (when it's new, they're kinda hard and rough); sometimes it loses the connection when the Wii U changes to Wii Mode (and doesn't even turn on), but it's solved by pressing the reset button in the back.

Planning on buying another one, but with the Super Famicom colors.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty funny moment yesterday, overheard my younger brothers talking about ZombiU. We don't own the game, and I've never mentioned it to them, so I'm pretty sure the only way they know about it is through Miiverse. Talking about how when you die you turn into a zombie, and respawn as a new person, etc.

majik13

Is there a 6 page limit on the Wii U home menu? I'm planning to rebuy the Wii U VC releases but I'd fill up all 6 pages. Does it expand beyond that?

I think with the wii and 3ds it added more pages automatically once you reached or got near the limit.

Vibed

Anyone else having disc read errors when there are a few smudges on the disc? I put a game in (no scratches whatsoever) and get the error, take it out, wipe it a bit, put it back in, and it works fine. It's happened to me maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it a month ago across several different games. Maybe it's a defect in the drive...

Edit:...Aaaaand now it's not recognizing anything but Scribblenauts and Wii games, great... :/ Oh well, I had to send the gamepad in anyway for a broken headphone jack.

Zero148

I just realised the WiiU will make E3 awesome. I will play some Pikmin 3 or the wonderful 101 on my WiiU, then when the Nintendo conference starts I should be able to stream it to my TV and browse neogaf meanwhile one the gamepad. After all the buzz, just play my game again and start exactly where I stopped, all with a single device. It's gonna be amazing

Lizardus

Got BLOPS2 to tide me over while I wait for LEGO and MH3U.

Anyone have favourite controlset that they use while playing with wiimote?

Dave Long

Banned
I had some fun with the Google View thing last night. It's really cool to be able to look at these places so easily on the TV screen. I also scoured the local area and noticed Google had finally updated the satellite shot of my home. Fun!

Take note that the music changes depending where you go in the list of locations Nintendo/Google provide. :)

Effect

Haven't had time to fully use street view. Just messed around for a few minutes after I installed. Hoping to spend more time with it this evening.
I"m finishing my shift so basically gonna hook it up, set it to update and go to sleep

Sounds like a good plan. Have fun :)

Did you get a game with it?

So spent the afternoon with it and skipped on sleep

Basically became a believer when I played off screen coop with my 9 year old in Sonic Racing. I'm totally into the system now and am legitmately excited.

Unfortunately The OS speeds fucking suuuuuuuck lol

Zafir

Anyone else having disc read errors when there are a few smudges on the disc? I put a game in (no scratches whatsoever) and get the error, take it out, wipe it a bit, put it back in, and it works fine. It's happened to me maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it a month ago across several different games. Maybe it's a defect in the drive...

Edit:...Aaaaand now it's not recognizing anything but Scribblenauts and Wii games, great... :/ Oh well, I had to send the gamepad in anyway for a broken headphone jack.
I had to send my copy of Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed back to shopto because my game just stopped reading, despite there being no scratches or anything on the disk. Tried cleaning multiple times and it wouldn't read.

Glass Joe

Yes.

I was thinking about making a thread about this. Apparently it's becoming an issue.

Just ran into this glitch tonight. If anyone has a handy workaround, that would be great. I've done the obvious stuff, such as resetting my router. Turning my U on without the router connected, powering down and powering it back up. Deleting all my internet connections. I've looked through the settings to see if maybe something got toggled off but nothing appears to be for Warawara.

And of course, my Miiverse, eShop, browser, and other such internet enabled cababilities are fine, just the Warawara. From googling, one person suggested that if you get modded in Miiverse and fail to respond, that could cause it (I have not been modded ever).

Another poster said he fixed his problem by downloading software (Uplay, a free program). I uninstalled that and reinstalled, no dice. There's no current free software I don't have or paid software I plan to buy at least until Zen Pinball, so that would take a while for me to confirm.

Another poster has a pretty intense fix involving creating a dummy account, deleting your existing Mii, moving network IDs and a whole bunch of jazz like that. I'd be a little concerned to lose my play logs and saves by trying something like that.

If anyone is in the same boat and figures something out, let me know please :) It's not the end of the world, but I like seeing the different drawings popping up from the boards I don't visit.

I suppose there's a chance it's just a Nintendo glitch at the moment or that the problem could resolve itself, but I've only seen one or two posts say that so I sort of doubt it :/

VanWinkle

I realize this has probably been discussed before but does anybody else have issues with the picture in the video apps? In all of them it feels like it has really low contrast or something. I just always go to my roku even though I like the apps better on the Wii U. Does anybody know if there is a setting or something for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom