• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Satisfaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So far the short charge on the Game Pad hasn't impacted us. NSMBU and Nintendo Land would see at most, 3 hour playtime sessions and it never bit us. I'm sure with Monster Hunter, it'll be more of an issue if we use the Game Pad.

And yes, the charging dock makes life easy.

Seeing as how I usually don't play any game for more than 3 or so consecutive hours without a break, the battery is fine for me. Even with those games that I will be spending a lot of time on in one sitting (Pikmin 3), I'll be taking breaks regularly enough that I can charge the Gamepad if it gets low on battery.

The only times I've hit the red LED for low battery is during some of the longer Nintendo Land sessions I've had with my friends (they love that game), and when I absent-mindedly leave the Gamepad lying somewhere when I'm downloading something.

Seeing as how I usually don't play any game for more than 3 or so consecutive hours without a break, the battery is fine for me.

Same. It is VERY rare that I ever get to game for those 4+ hour blocks anymore. The rest of the time I just set it back on the dock. I also usually have the brightness at 3 and the rumble off.

RobbieNick

For those who complain about the Gamepad's battery life, I'd seriously recommend the Pro controller. The ergonomic shape is VERY comfortable and it has an insanely long battery life.

What are some Wii U games worth getting now and within the next coming months? Both full Wii u and digital downloads, exclusives would be nice. Unless there's a thread for that i'm mssing...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
And yes, the charging dock makes life easy.
That's one of the little thing I like, my GamePad is always fully charged.

All my previous controllers on previous consoles had better battery life, but caused me more battery issues, either because I forgot, or didn't bother to charge them at some points.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Does the Wii Online features (WiiConnect24, Online Games, Friend Codes, Messages, etc) work on the Wii U's Wii Mode?

Effect

Does the Wii Online features (WiiConnect24, Online Games, Friend Codes, Messages, etc) work on the Wii U's Wii Mode?

WiiConnect24 doesn't work. I think online games do work though and because of that I assume friend codes work. Same with messages. You can still access the Wii Shop Channel but none of the other channels though. You can even download them from the Wii Shop Channel I believe. Which I don't understand.

Deku Tree

Isn't it pretty much just a Wii Classic Controller? It's not a substitute for the Wii U Pro Controller.

Maybe... but the advertising does say that it works for Wii U games. You can even use it as a Wii mote apparently.

EDIT: nevermind. lots of terrible 1 star reviews for that controller. Not a substitute for the Wii U Pro Controller.

Blades64

Banned
Does anyone know when third party battery expansions will come for the Wii U GamePad? One I heard is that you just replace the battery in the GamePad with their battery and you should get play times of about 7-8 hrs.

Does anyone know when third party battery expansions will come for the Wii U GamePad? One I heard is that you just replace the battery in the GamePad with their battery and you should get play times of about 7-8 hrs.
I know Amazon has one up for preorder. I believe it's called the Nyko Power Pak. I know it releases soon but I'm not sure when :/

Effect

I wish we had some leaked news or rumors regarding games. Anything is better then nothing I think. Naturally we'd hear nothing regarding Nintendo. However I doubt they'd want nothing said. Any announcement would be good for the Wii U's future and image. So I doubt they're controlling things like they did at the launch. That wouldn't make any sense at all. If they aren't then then the lack of rumors makes me think there is just nothing out there.

Unless, and this is really me being super hopeful, any future Wii U games are tied to upcoming PS4/720 games and those are all under lock and key until E3. Similar to how Watch_Dogs wasn't announced for the Wii U until the PS4 was officially announced. I guess that's something but that means any news is dependent on when Sony and Microsoft want announcements done. Meaning one might have to follow those releases, news, and rumors even if they might not want to just for some hints about what might be coming to the Wii U if we're lucky. :( All the more reason Nintendo needs to speed things up.

I really do hope they have something to show during GDC at the end of the month to fill the void on the positive news front.

Blades64

Banned
I wish we had some leaked news or rumors regarding games. Anything is better then nothing I think. Naturally we'd hear nothing regarding Nintendo. However I doubt they'd want nothing said. Any announcement would be good for the Wii U's future and image. So I doubt they're controlling things like they did at the launch. That wouldn't make any sense at all. If they aren't then then the lack of rumors makes me think there is just nothing out there.

Unless, and this is really me being super hopeful, any future Wii U games are tied to upcoming PS4/720 games and those are all under lock and key until E3. Similar to how Watch_Dogs wasn't announced for the Wii U until the PS4 was officially announced. I guess that's something but that means any news is dependent on when Sony and Microsoft want announcements done. Meaning one might have to follow those releases, news, and rumors even if they might not want to just for some hints about what might be coming to the Wii U if we're lucky. :( All the more reason Nintendo needs to speed things up.

I really do hope they have something to show during GDC at the end of the month to fill the void on the positive news front.

I'm waiting for the supposed third party Direct that Iwata implied to.

Asimov

Banned
I have a question:

Nintendo said that they are going to unify the 3DS and Wii U eShop and that we are going to be able to purchase eShop games directly from our computers. They also said that we are going to be able to use Miiverse on the 3DS, browser and iOS/Android.

So, that means we are going to have a proper user account system? Or are the game purchases still going to be tied to the hardware?

dwu8991

Banned
What are some Wii U games worth getting now and within the next coming months? Both full Wii u and digital downloads, exclusives would be nice. Unless there's a thread for that i'm mssing...

1 NBA 2K 13
2 Monster Hunter Ultimate
3 Assassins Creed 3
4 Batman Arkham City
5 F-Zero

Effect

Is that it? I thought he was implying to one for both the 3DS and Wii U.

I think that was it. Word of a third party direct came from a Japanese Nintendo Direct at the very end of it. Then the 3DS Japan Nintendo Direct happen that focused on third party games. I don't believe there was ever anything said about a Nintendo Direct focusing on third party Wii U games.

anyone else think that Nintendo not charging for bug fixes and patches is paying off?

With Capcom adding so many late features to MonHun I would love to see more companies update games with more features if they did not have them at release

No because that game requires tilt functionality.

I started reading some of the reviews and found these tidbits.

The controller offers two switchable modes. (Wiimote Plus and Classic PRO). I tested Nintendo Land, Yoshi's Story, NSMBU, Nano Assault Neo, and COD:BO2. All of which work. Although I could not get ZombiU (MYP), Ninja Gaiden 3 to register my controller as a pro controller or a Wiimote/nunchuk.

Unfortunately it does not pickup as a Wii U Pro Controller, so games like ZombiU will not recognize it. However games like New Super Mario Bros U recognize it as a WiiMote with Motion Plus.

So... maybe?

Has anyone here purchased one? If so, can they verify?

...lacks button mapping which makes it useless as a Wii remote... ala Mario Bros Wii U... unplayable...

maybe not, lol.

Effect

anyone else think that Nintendo not charging for bug fixes and patches is paying off?

With Capcom adding so many late features to MonHun I would love to see more companies update games with more features if they did not have them at release

Hard to tell. Might not really know know until a truly new game comes out either on the eShop or retail. Even then it might hard to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if fees for some of the bigger games on other systems were simply waved while others had to pay them. ALso the focus might still be on the other systems. It hasn't stopped patches for Call of Duty from being slow and behind the other systems.

Mononoke

Banned
Feel dumb asking, but all I own is Zombi U and New Super Mario Bros. I beat both in the first month I had my Wii U, and now I haven't played the console since then.

Is there any other game you guys would recommend?

I started reading some of the reviews and found these tidbits.

So... maybe?

Has anyone here purchased one? If so, can they verify?

Even so, you'd have to put it down and pick up the Wiimote for the later levels with tilt. The Pro Controller is the better option all round since it's an actual Wii U controller.

Feel dumb asking, but all I own is Zombi U and New Super Mario Bros. I beat both in the first month I had my Wii U, and now I haven't played the console since then.

Really enjoying Assassin's Creed III and Runner 2 right now.

I've played through The Cave multiple times (you kind of have to.) It's good.

I regularly play Sonic & All-star Racing Transformed in and between.

Trine 2 is ok...I don't like the floaty physics much.

Of course right now there's F-Zero (SNES) for 30c.

Right now I'm looking forward to LEGO City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate this month.

EDIT: Forgot about Nano Assault Neo. Looks great, plays well.

Zarovitch

I've pass some time on Nano Assault and like it, but you must like beating highscores.
I read some good thing about Runner 2.
With my friend we start Trine 2 and it seem to be a good puzzle game.

If you like kart games, Sonic and great one, much better than i tough.

i would highly recomend trine 2 if you havent played it yet

Berg

Well it depends on what games you like and what games you've allready played.

AC3, Batman, ninja gaiden, ME3, & Call of duty are all good games. I would recommend going to the eShop and checking out all the indie games like little inferno, puddle, the cave, trine 2, bit trip runner <---awesome new game, and a whole bunch more, all of them are worth it.

edit: The Cave* thanks jaded

Well it depends on what games you like and what games you've allready played.

AC3, Batman, ninja gaiden, ME3, & Call of duty are all good games. I would recommend going to the eShop and checking out all the indie games like little inferno, puddle, cave story, trine 2, bit trip runner <---awesome new game, and a whole bunch more, all of them are worth it.

I think you mean The Cave, not Cave Story.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to self-bump my old question, but did anybody else experience this? I'm still trying to figure out if it's something related to a software/firmware bug or interference, or if it's really a hardware defect that could get worse over time.

I just don't feel like sending it to Nintendo if it's not needed. Even if they're pretty competent, if feel wary of sending them my system. Last time I sent my 3DS, I ended up with a new one with floppy hinges, a "squeaky" corner, and no more screen protectors (god knows how much I HATE applying those...! :p ).

I also have a weird bug in Nintendo Land: the camera showing the player's face in games like Mario Chase or F-Zero "freezes" after a few seconds/minutes. Quitting the game and restarting it or pressing "Home" will "fix" it temporarily, but it will freeze again. I does look like a software problem (especially since all the other games/apps using the camera work properly), but the fact that most users don't seem to have that problem makes me think that my console might be defective...

Sorry to self-bump my old question, but did anybody else experience this? I'm still trying to figure out if it's something related to a software/firmware bug or interference, or if it's really a hardware defect that could get worse over time.

I just don't feel like sending it to Nintendo if it's not needed. Even if they're pretty competent, if feel wary of sending them my system. Last time I sent my 3DS, I ended up with a new one with floppy hinges, a "squeaky" corner, and no more screen protectors (god knows how much I HATE applying those...! :p ).

Do you own the disc or download version? Sounds software related to me if the camera works fine elsewhere.

Zarovitch

oh yeah, and Call of Duty if you like online fps.
I can't stop playing it, i want to unlock gold weapons. I've only one.

Even so, you'd have to put it down and pick up the Wiimote for the later levels with tilt. The Pro Controller is the better option all round since it's an actual Wii U controller.

Gotcha, I don't have NSMBU yet, was trying to decide if one of these controllers would be worth buying with it... I guess not.

Thanks for the heads up.

Assassin's Creed 3 is a decent port, Mass Effect 3 is an "ok" port, but the online (co-op side mission) multiplayer is fairly active. I usually find a game within seconds.

I wish it so as well, but we have gotten some stuff lately. Pretty much all Ubisoft related lol - Rainbow Six Patriots (rumored/retail listing), Assassins Creed 4 (announced), Watch Dogs(rumored/retail listing/announced), and Splinter Cell: Blacklist (rumored/retail listing).

Then there's the rumored Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid (miiverse leak as well) and Sonic games.

There needs to be more though. Its not enough.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Do you own the disc or download version? Sounds software related to me if the camera works fine elsewhere.

I have the disc version. Hmmm... I'll try deleting the update tonight, and moving the Wii-U somewhere else in the apartment to see if it could be something nearby causing interference.

That bug is really not affecting my enjoyment of the game that much. It's really just triggering my paranoia that *something* is wrong with my shiny new next-gen console...!

The Nyko Wii U gamepad battery is officially out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B48QAQU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There you go guys!

Damnit, couldn't they make this a frickin cent more expensive so I wouldn't have to add on something to get the free shipping!?!? eigahsu3eawfibhugasrebhsgklfameltdowngtieahuro8ahyfuoaewcbhnf!!!!!!

Same. It is VERY rare that I ever get to game for those 4+ hour blocks anymore. The rest of the time I just set it back on the dock. I also usually have the brightness at 3 and the rumble off.

My particular annoyance is that I use the GamePad in various parts of my house (bathroom gaming, bedroom browsing, office regular playing, kitchen recipe reference, et al). In all of these places, there are microUSB cords plugged into the wall for my Android phone. But the GamePad? I have to carry around the power cord with it wherever I go. That's pretty annoying, and I'll have to either get that third party battery or buy three extra power adaptors.

I mean, come on, Nintendo. You could have made it compatible with the universal standard plug type for small devices. It's not like there's a current limitation on wall-plugged usb cords!

VAPitts

i know this isn't really the place to discuss issues but does anybody have trouble with the tabs button not working for the browser?

Really enjoying Assassin's Creed III and Runner 2 right now.

I've played through The Cave multiple times (you kind of have to.) It's good.

I regularly play Sonic & All-star Racing Transformed in and between.

Trine 2 is ok...I don't like the floaty physics much.

Of course right now there's F-Zero (SNES) for 30c.

Right now I'm looking forward to LEGO City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate this month.

EDIT: Forgot about Nano Assault Neo. Looks great, plays well.
It's all about NFS and Lego City for me.

Wait, I'm pretty out of the loop&#8230; did it become a thing to charge for patches? edit: that sounds like it should be criminal "hey, turns out our car spontaneously explodes if you turn on the radio; that'll be $500, please"

i would highly recomend trine 2 if you havent played it yet

I really loved this game. A lot of people seem to balk at how you can solve each "puzzle" in multiple ways, but that's my favourite thing about it. So (controls aside) whether or not you like this aspect of the game is probably what will make or break it for you.

I'm going to be getting The Cave and Runner 2 soon. I really really want Zombi U, but I think I can wait until the price comes down some. Then I can look at getting some retail multiplats if my supply of gaming dries out. edit: I'm also looking at Lego City. The other Lego games were fun but incredibly repetitive, so I want to see what people say about it.

i know this isn't really the place to discuss issues but does anybody have trouble with the tabs button not working for the browser?

Are you having problems tapping them to activate, or do you mean the ZR and ZL buttons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom