• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So thinking about the Wii-U(name subject to change) version
of ALIENS: Colonial Marines, here's a few things I think
would be cool with the tablet controller:

Motion detector-the obvious one and almost a sure bet.

Ammo counts and weapon info.

Being able to pull up video feeds/journals/security cameras
to watch/monitor.

Have your squad member's camera feed on your controller with
the ability to switch between them on the fly. Would be pretty neat
in multiplayer.

Hacking/running bypasses.

Welding doors: use the stylus or your finger to weld the doors
on the tablet.

Remote pilot the drop ship using the tablet only.

Maxrunner

Yup, and I'm 100% sure it's more efficient to not do dedicated audio. even sound cards in PC's are rare nowdays. There's not just the chip cost, but also the increased motherboard complexity. Also, anytime you have dedicated silicon it's not flexible. If you're using the CPU you can always choose to dedicate more power to graphics or game code and less to audio, if it's dedicated you have no choice.

If it's for some kind of backward compatibility though, it's understandable.

Why dont you call him and tell him you know better than him what it takes to run his engine. He should get a good laugh.

sound cards are in most if not all pc motherboards....

TunaLover

If I connect the HDMI output to my LCD, and use the normal red-black for the audio I will not have 5.1 right? Does Wii U support DPII too, anyone knows it?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A new trailer dedicated to the Recon Class of Ghost Recon Online, scheduled for release on the Wii U as you know.

Nothing sensational, but you can imagine some rather intricate ways of using the tablet, some of them have been already showed during E3 2011.

Besides of the sniper zoom on the UPad, a bird eye view thanks to a personal drone, the possibility to change or upgrade on the fly your equipment, you can expect that all the "information gathering and sharing with your team mates" aspect of this class will be very well managed trough the tablet. For example, this Oracle scan thingy, handled with improvements here and there by the additional screen or the gunfire triangulation skill could make your target's location appear more conveniently on a detailed map on the subscreen. I see a lot of refreshing ideas of asymmetrical gameplay that could be applied in this kind of game thanks to the padlet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So thinking about the Wii-U(name subject to change) version
of ALIENS: Colonial Marines, here's a few things I think
would be cool with the tablet controller:

Motion detector-the obvious one and almost a sure bet.

Ammo counts and weapon info.

Being able to pull up video feeds/journals/security cameras
to watch/monitor.

Have your squad member's camera feed on your controller with
the ability to switch between them on the fly. Would be pretty neat
in multiplayer.

Hacking/running bypasses.

Welding doors: use the stylus or your finger to weld the doors
on the tablet.

Remote pilot the drop ship using the tablet only.

A new trailer dedicated to the Recon Class of Ghost Recon Online, scheduled for release on the Wii U as you know.

Nothing sensational, but you can imagine some rather intricate ways of using the tablet, some of them have been already showed during E3 2011.

Besides of the sniper zoom on the UPad, a bird eye view thanks to a personal drone, the possibility to change or upgrade on the fly your equipment, you can expect that all the "information gathering and sharing with your team mates" aspect of this class will be very well managed trough the tablet. For example, the gunfire triangulation skill could make your target's location appear more conveniently on a detailed map on the subscreen. I see a lot of refreshing ideas of asymmetrical gameplay that could be applied in this kind of game thanks to the padlet.

Well, your posts pushed me in asking one question to Gaf: we saw two different "speculation" topics about Wii U. this one is 250 pages long (more than 12k posts), and the vast majority of the contents are graphic (or power) oriented.

It's not a critic, just a question: are we Gaffer SO interested JUST in this aspect?

It's true: we saw very few things about real games, or Upad uses and possibilities and so on, but probably we saw even less about real specs for this hardware.

Maybe someone is interest also in doing another thread, focused on possible way of use for the Upad, new gameplay possibilities, actual games and so on...?

Just sayin'! :)

Nibel

Besides of the sniper zoom on the UPad, a bird eye view thanks to a personal drone, the possibility to change or upgrade on the fly your equipment, you can expect that all the "information gathering and sharing with your team mates" aspect of this class will be very well managed trough the tablet. For example, the gunfire triangulation skill could make your target's location appear more conveniently on a detailed map on the subscreen. I see a lot of refreshing ideas of asymmetrical gameplay that could be applied in this kind of game thanks to the padlet.

C'est bon, C'est bon.. Géramont, Géramont!

The tablet controller is perfect for tactical games like that. It's up to the developers to make good use of it or let it die like the Wiimote.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Oh, i must add that i've not posted this previous message completely by chance. It's related to the "spot-on under-half of p245" told earlier. While seeing again some E3 2011 footage of this game recently, i felt upon a video illustrating clearly this parameter that could explain and throw a different light on what my sources reported me and some infos and speculations that had appeared here.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
C'est bon, C'est bon.. Géramont, Géramont!

The tablet controller is perfect for tactical games like that. It's up to the developers to make good use of it or let it die like the Wiimote.

I liked the uses for the upad shown at E3 for Ghost Recon Online, I'm not into MMOs.
I still wonder if this will be free to play like pc.

zink120

That's exactly what 360 did...it can be done.

Actually 360 /Xenos pushed so close to the bleeding edge it was kind of ridiculous, Xenos used some tech that wasn't in ATI cards for another couple of years. It also wasn't finished until the very last second which is an incredibly dangerous game to play. Xenos was basically ahead of it's time, forget contemporary with it's time. The equivalent of a 2014 video card in a 2013 machine.

The problem is if you try to time it just right like MS did with Xenos, if there's a problem you literally have no choice but to delay your console for months.

Basically it can and has been done, but I wouldn't recommend it and dont really see it happening this time. I think they'll go with something either even with the time they're aiming for (late 2013 card for late 2013 console), or slightly behind (early 2013 card for late 2013 console, etc).

But a 2012 card in a 2013 machine, I dont see.

At the same time, the first model of the Xbox 360 got RRod and cost Microsoft 1 billion ... because they didn't test the console long enough.

Donnie

Yup, and I'm 100% sure it's more efficient to not do dedicated audio. even sound cards in PC's are rare nowdays. There's not just the chip cost, but also the increased motherboard complexity. Also, anytime you have dedicated silicon it's not flexible. If you're using the CPU you can always choose to dedicate more power to graphics or game code and less to audio, if it's dedicated you have no choice.

If it's for some kind of backward compatibility though, it's understandable.

Dedicated hardware is always much more efficient at the task its designed for than a general purpose processor (more performance per transistor/watt). Yes its not flexible, but all games need sound and its quite tricky to share out a single thread of a CPU for sound and another task efficiently anyway so sound will usually take up one full thread. Also the DSP will no doubt be part of the GPU, just like it is in GC and Wii, so no extra motherboard complexity.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
At the same time, the first model of the Xbox 360 got RRod and cost Microsoft 1 billion ... because they didn't test the console long enough.

Also the advancement of GPUs since 2005 causing greater power draw, would make it very difficult to put a 2013/2014 chip in a machine launching in 2013/2014 . O f course I could be wrong. Maybe they are aiming for a box the size of a pc, that would be the only way to keep it cool.

EDarkness

Oh, i must add that i've not posted this previous message completely by chance. It's related to the "spot-on under-half of p245" told earlier. While seeing again some E3 2011 footage of this game recently, i felt upon a video illustrating clearly this parameter that could explain and throw a different light on what my sources reported me and some infos and speculations that had appeared here.

I gotta admit, I'm totally confused....

D_prOdigy

I liked the uses for the upad shown at E3 for Ghost Recon Online, I'm not into MMOs.
I still wonder if this will be free to play like pc.

Should be, considering it will (most likely) be a £40 retail game.

Ubisoft's plans for DLC on the PC version sound absolutely horrible though.

This game will be supported by micro transactions, meaning that the player will "rent" a gun for n amount of days for a set price.

Hopefully that sort of thing is kept off the Wii U version.

EDIT: My brain got frazzled and I misunderstood what you probably meant. I imagine you can bet on it not being a 'free-to-play' game, ie, it will most likely be a retail game. Or maybe I'm talking complete bollocks and the prospect of a third party, DLC-supported free-to-play game being there on a Nintendo platform on day one is feasible.

z0m3le

Banned
Dedicated hardware is always much more efficient when it comes to performance per transistor than a general purpose processor doing the same job (as you say its not flexible, that's the reason its much more efficient at the task its designed for). Also the DSP will no doubt be part of the GPU, just like it is in GC and Wii, so no extra motherboard complexity.

@tunalover, means HDMI should give you audio without the need for your red and white cords.

Maxrunner

Are you talking about the haptic screen on the upad?

TunaLover

@tunalover, means HDMI should give you audio without the need for your red and white cords.

I know that, my problem is that my receiver doesn't have HDMI imput, only analog (red/white), so I want the HDMI to my screen, audio through red/white cords to my receiver. Now, I'm not sure if that setting will allow me have 5.1, I think Wii U should be compatible with DPII for that.

z0m3le

Banned
I know that, my problem is that my receiver doesn't have HDMI imput, only analog (red/white), so I want the HDMI to my screen, audio through red/white cords to my receiver. Now, I'm not sure if that setting will allow me have 5.1, I think Wii U should be compatible with DPII for that.

Ah that makes sense, hopefully there will be a setting in the console, if not, you could still have audio out on your tv that you could run through your receiver... other than that, crossing my fingers for you.

Nintendo have used some cool RAM, but also made some questionable calls (N64 only 4 MB total and lack of much texture memory, ARAM in Gamecube). 1.5 MB of GDDR5 on a 96 bit bus should be the minimum they go.

I don't see how the N64 having 4 MB expandable to 8 MB was a questionable call. Specially considering the PS1 only had 2 MB of main ram, 1 MB of VRAM, and 512kB for Audio. For all intents and purposes the Saturn was around 3 1/2 MBs for it's main ram (once you added everything up) as well.

Useful information: The Wii U, like all other current Nintendo systems (and unlike PS3 and 360), has a dedicated audio DSP.

It's nice that they do this, but then fucking awful that they don't give us optical out. I really wish that was something that would change for the Wii-U

D_prOdigy

I don't see how the N64 having 4 MB expandable to 8 MB was a questionable call. Specially considering the PS1 only had 2 MB of main ram, 1 MB of VRAM, and 512kB for Audio. For all intents and purposes the Saturn was around 3 1/2 MBs for it's main ram (once you added everything up) as well.

Reading numbers like this and thinking they're so laughable makes me feel way too young, if that's possible.

Hiltz

Jarsonot

From this I think you're implying that this is the graphical level we should expect from early games that use the subscreen extensively?

I'm ok with that.

There will be a GDC announcement:-

Big booth + no information for a long time + no real opportunity until E3 for information + rumoured partnerships with Crytek etc. + People saying big game announcements are coming = news at GDC.

NeoRausch

Rösti;35586323 said:
Game Developers Conference technically starts at Sunday 3:00pm, so we could be seeing snapshots of crates labeled "Nintendo Booth #802" or "Nintendo Wii U Kiosks" in just a mere three days.

The bear ought to come out of hibernation soon anyway.
Nope. Have you seen what nintendo did with the booths on conferences/exhibits the past years. They build walls around them. WALLS! Also they where under the first ones who used projectors instead of banners to keep everything under the.....wait for it....

wraps!

Jaruru

Big booth + no information for a long time + no real opportunity until E3 for information + rumoured partnerships with Crytek etc. + People saying big game announcements are coming = news at GDC.

don't get us too excited...

*looking fwd*

Lausebub

Banned
People should consider not entering this thread during GDC. I'm 100% sure that we won't say: Okay, now we have a lot of new info. We can wait till E3 for the rest." And I'm pretty sure everyone is going to hype the shit out of the event. I'm sorry, but I'd rather be positively surprised than drive with the hype train straight into sun!

This was probably discussed already: Beyond Good & Evil 2. What a wonderful game the first one was and how awesome would it be to make BG&E2 come out exclusively on the Wii U? It is not a huge franchise and it would be a sign to the core of core gamers: Hey fans, here you go, catch this bone. nomnomnom

Nope. Have you seen what nintendo did with the booths on conferences/exhibits the past years. They build walls around them. WALLS! Also they where under the first ones who used projectors instead of banners to keep everything under the.....wait for it....

wraps!

But do they build ceilings (;
See where I'm going with this?

neeksleep

But do they build ceilings (;
See where I'm going with this?

No need for ceilings, they got ninjas.

I'm not too worried if they don't show any new footage or games. What I'd like to hear is their approach with the online system, and some sort of hints as to whether or not they'll reintroduce some handheld-console connectivity.

Or, just give us Zelda: FSA for 3DS. I'd be okay with that too.

D_prOdigy

This was probably discussed already: Beyond Good & Evil 2. What a wonderful game the first one was and how awesome would it be to make BG&E2 come out exclusively on the Wii U? It is not a huge franchise and it would be a sign to the core of core gamers: Hey fans, here you go, catch this bone. nomnomnom

I think Ancel has just enough influence within Ubi to arbitrarily decide to keep the game off Wii U.

I like him and his games, but I get the impression he's one of these dudes who made up his mind about Wii U ages ago when he made that oddly premature "not next gen" comment.

Expecting no more than BG&E2 to be a PS4/720 game, regardless of how easy it may be to port to Wii U.

Would love to be wrong though.

I'm putting my trust in you Ubermatik.

That's a wise thing to do ;)

Care to elaborate more on these ?:p

Large booth, we've heard no susbtantial informationf rom Nintendo themselves since E3, Reggie said there would be info between now (January) and E3 on the Wii U, and a Crytek software engineer was recently employed by Nintendo, plus the fact there boohts stand next to each other at GDC, and lots of magazines/site/twitterers are talking about bgi game announcements, things they've seen etc.

Something's got to give!

don't get us too excited...

*looking fwd*

I'll try not to! I'm going to be more realistic and say they'll probably have a few new demos to show to the public, but show something they've been working on/Crytek have been working on behind closed doors. At best, form this, someone may leak what they witnessed and claim a game is in the works.

I think Ancel has just enough influence within Ubi to arbitrarily decide to keep the game off Wii U.

I like him and his games, but I get the impression he's one of these dudes who made up his mind about Wii U ages ago when he made that oddly premature "not next gen" comment.

Expecting no more than BG&E2 to be a PS4/720 game, regardless of how easy it may be to port to Wii U.

Would love to be wrong though.

The problem with that though is that his games don't sell. Ubi is going to want them on as many platforms as they can be to desperately try to make back what ever the game cost to make.

I could see Ubisoft saying too bad deal with it.

Just to add I don't think there's going to be any thing significant said about the Wii-U at GDC.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
People should consider not entering this thread during GDC. I'm 100% sure that we won't say: Okay, now we have a lot of new info. We can wait till E3 for the rest." And I'm pretty sure everyone is going to hype the shit out of the event. I'm sorry, but I'd rather be positively surprised than drive with the hype train straight into sun!

If you are extremely hungry, do you prefer:

1 - Wait 5 hours without eating anything, then have access to a feast full of 5 stars spicy breads with tasmania mushrooms topping, the whole swimming in liquid caviar sauce ?

2 - Can eat 1 or 2 tidbits of unambitious industrial breadcrumbs every 20 minutes, until the end of these 5 hours of wait, when you'll be able to put your teeth on... more stale breadcrumbs with some chemical mushrooms powder, because the chief decided that you've already eaten enough so the banquet is for the 1-Guy ? (read: you nearly know all there is to know about Wii U at E3 eve so you are not surprised)

Me, i go for the 1 !

Oh, and there is a 3 - You'll have the banquet meal of 1 and some leaks of the 2 thanks to some insiders, developers, journalists, the wonderful detective skills of gamers, etc. Myself, i have enough +or- vague informations to disclose little by little in order to, hopefully, salt frequently this thread until the E3 :)

Edit: oh man, on second thought, i'm not so sure that i'll choose the ewwwwy culinary example 1 :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Please, please, please--don't let this take the thread in the direction it went before the last Nintendo Direct show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom