• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
If Skyrim came out for the Wii U with IR support, then I would be all over that. Wouldn't blink an eye. I was holding out for the Game of the Year Edition, so if there was a version on the Wii U with all of the patches and such, I would consider getting it.

Lol good luck with that
:(

Seems like a bad engineering decision, todays CPU's should have plenty of grunt for audio and that's why dedicated audio chips were eliminated.

It's likely just inefficient to dedicate some silicon to audio, as opposed to just adding that much more budget to CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

Probably not a giant deal either way, mind you.

Only you could spin a dedicated audio DSP as a bad thing lol. It's more than likely for Wii emulation, regardless (which is why there's no optical out, but there is an HDMI out - because HDMI capability comes with the new ATI hardware)

This has been covered a lot of times, but Epic's already said Samaritan can run at 720P at 1.1 TF and 1080P 2.5 TF.

I think they also implied with optimization it could perhaps run on a single 580, which will be an old busted video card before you know it (been surpassed by 7970 and 7950, will be surpassed+eliminated by Kepler soon, then we will have 1-2 more generation of video cards before PS4/720 release. We could well be on AMD 9000 series Nvidia 700/800 series by 720/PS4 or more assuming late 2013 launch imo it could be 2014)

Wow, way to be presumptuous. There isn't going to be 2 videocard generations between the release of the next gen hardware - and to top it off they're designing their consoles around what's available now.

That's exactly what 360 did...it can be done.

Actually 360 /Xenos pushed so close to the bleeding edge it was kind of ridiculous, Xenos used some tech that wasn't in ATI cards for another couple of years. It also wasn't finished until the very last second which is an incredibly dangerous game to play. Xenos was basically ahead of it's time, forget contemporary with it's time. The equivalent of a 2014 video card in a 2013 machine.

Untrue.

specialguy said:
The problem is if you try to time it just right like MS did with Xenos, if there's a problem you literally have no choice but to delay your console for months.

Basically it can and has been done, but I wouldn't recommend it and dont really see it happening this time. I think they'll go with something either even with the time they're aiming for (late 2013 card for late 2013 console), or slightly behind (early 2013 card for late 2013 console, etc).

But a 2012 card in a 2013 machine, I dont see.

You mean like the PS Vita using a GPU design from 2008? Look, whether you get Turks or some middle-end GCN in your Durango, it's not like there are any drastic architectural changes happening over the next couple years in GPU technology.

Even Stephen Colbert has to acknowledge that Maxwell, once slated for 2011/12 and now fallen to 2014, isn't going to be making it into these boxes.

AzaK

Welcome to the age of HDMI, personally in this day and age unless you are an audiophile. I'd expect most people just plug their HDMI into their receiver or directly into their TV. As long as I don't have to match up those red and white cords blindly behind my tv, I'll be fine... Also a dog ate the red cord so all my sound is mono, thank god I don't have a real sound system hooked up to my tv.

I'm the opposite. My TV has 1 HDMI and my receiver (Denon, 5 years old) has NONE. I don't want my games going through my shitty TV speaker, so without an optical audio out, or AT LEAST AV stereo, I'm screwed.

I don't want to have to be expected to upgrade my receiver for a console. 5 years ago (Here where I am anyway) HDMI was more like 3D is now. People had it, it was around and in devices but it wasn't considered the standard for everything.

darthdago

Lol good luck with that
:(

Untrue.

I have to defend specialguy in that one, at least a bit...
XENOS was based on a R520 which was already out by that time (release of X360 12/2005)
BUT it used some new things methods that ATI integrated later on in the R600 series wich was was first released mid of 2007.

So XENOS was not complete new but had 2 or 3 new things inside which were relesed later.

Anth0ny

I don't see how the N64 having 4 MB expandable to 8 MB was a questionable call. Specially considering the PS1 only had 2 MB of main ram, 1 MB of VRAM, and 512kB for Audio. For all intents and purposes the Saturn was around 3 1/2 MBs for it's main ram (once you added everything up) as well.

Damn, N64 was a beast.

Could you imagine if they released a new console with expandable memory? Such a crazy idea.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't much, but Kit Ellis (PR Manager) is in charge of Nintendo's booth (802) in the North Hall while Dave Sharp (Event Manager) manages the booth (CP 2020) in the Career Pavillion. For reference, Dave Sharp took care of both booths last year.

Kit Ellis has played major roles in managing the Nintendo 3DS preview event in New York on the 19th of January 2011, and also on E3 and PAX Prime 2011. I'd describe him as a cheerful and energetic person and I'd actually link him to more public audience-centric events such as mentioned E3 and PAX. Thus I wonder what his role on GDC will be; normally his job on events is to coordinate queue areas by verbally distributing incentives to why people should wait in line, and also of course give interviews to the press. Since Nintendo 3DS has already been out since February last year I doubt people will rush to play, unless something like The Legend of Zelda or a sequel to Sutte Hakkun (すってはっくん) would be announced and playable (or at least shown via a video). So that gives at least a bit more credibility to the suggestion of Wii U demo kiosks at the event (not that this was much doubted, CES featured demo kiosk, but still). And while waiting, people will discuss the system and most likely ask Nintendo of America personnel (I hope Krysta Yang is there by the way, she did a good job at E3 last year) various things. There we have a chance of "leaks" or more information. Especially if Nintendo debuts something new like tech demos or perhaps some game prior to the start of the expo.

While I won't hold onto my hat like a mad person when it comes to predicting the outcome of GDC in relation to Nintendo, the chance of us getting some Wii U galore becomes more and more likely for each day.

Sources: http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/Bios/Bios_E311_KitEllis.pdf
http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/index.html
http://meetings.gdconf.com/index.php?page=cat_par&params[id]=259

Rösti;35591347 said:
This isn't much, but Kit Ellis (PR Manager) is in charge of Nintendo's booth (802) in the North Hall while Dave Sharp (Event Manager) manages the booth (CP 2020) in the Career Pavillion. For reference, Dave Sharp took care of both booths last year.

Kit Ellis has played major roles in managing the Nintendo 3DS preview event in New York on the 19th of January 2011, and also on E3 and PAX Prime 2011. I'd describe him as a cheerful and energetic person and I'd actually link him to more public audience-centric events such as mentioned E3 and PAX. Thus I wonder what his role on GDC will be; normally his job on events is to coordinate queue areas by verbally distributing incentives to why people should wait in line, and also of course give interviews to the press. Since Nintendo 3DS has already been out since February last year I doubt people will rush to play, unless something like The Legend of Zelda or a sequel to Sutte Hakkun (すってはっくん) would be announced and playable (or at least shown via a video). So that gives at least a bit more credibility to the suggestion of Wii U demo kiosks at the event (not that this was much doubted, CES featured demo kiosk, but still). And while waiting, people will discuss the system and most likely ask Nintendo of America personnel (I hope Krysta Yang is there by the way, she did a good job at E3 last year) various things. There we have a chance of "leaks" or more information. Especially if Nintendo debuts something new like tech demos or perhaps some game prior to the start of the expo.

While I won't hold onto my hat like a mad person when it comes to predicting the outcome of GDC in relation to Nintendo, the chance of us getting some Wii U galore becomes more and more likely for each day.

Sources: http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/Bios/Bios_E311_KitEllis.pdf
http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/index.html
http://meetings.gdconf.com/index.php?page=cat_par&params[id]=259

Nice post, Rösti. It's little things like this that needs attention. Small contributing factors such as the staff present at Nintendo's booth and their effect on the attendees can help portray the approach nintendo may be taking at GDC.

It could, however, be taken the other way - if Nintendo don't announce anything, they need to persuade the public as much as possible that the Wii U booth is still worth visiting, despite old demos and no new information. This is where an energetic, enthusiastic personality may have it's benefits - after all, people may not be fussed to try out something they've seen before.

darthdago

Damn, N64 was a beast.

Could you imagine if they released a new console with expandable memory? Such a crazy idea.

Yes it was for its time and had some wonderful games but not every developer was "bright enough" to use the limeted space of a cartridge right...

Hiltz

GDC prediction time!

Good chance

- More discussion on Nintendo Network
- Announced multi-media support for Wii U
- First trailer for Pokemon Black & White 2 for DS (coming out June)
- New trailer for Animal Crossing/Paper Mario/ Fire Emblem 3DS

Hey, it could happen

- Possible first glimpse at the recently announced New 3DS 2D Mario title
(Iwata said that the game will be released within the upcoming fiscal year so April 2012 - March 2013)

- Confirmation about whether Nintendo is making Wii U app-store

(GAF will go crazy with just a simple "Yes.")

- Confirmation about whether Nintendo will offer GameCube support to the virtual console

- If Wii U will support more than one Upad controller

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Speaking of the N64, i have found memories of the Project Reality teasing back in those days. We were so excited in the media's, more than in the Emotion Engine & Can-Be-Used-For-Nuclear-Thingy episodes. SGI involved, the same guys behind the stations responsible of Jurassic Park CGI at the time, footages of virtual reality simulations, elaborated 3D animations from shows like Imagina in Monaco, etc. How can some people have forgotten HOW MUCH Nintendo stressed on visual revolution and power for a long period ? The transition from Snes to N64 was so thrilling from a media POV, all the "Full Glory of Project Reality Now Ultra 64 soon in arcade with KI and Cruisin'", the famous behind closed doors part of a Nintendo DKC promotional VHS included in our magazines where we had glimpses of Killer Instinct, the "see how we were able to make these gorgeous games on our 16 bit machine, imagine what we'll be capable of on the 64 bit one", etc.

Good old days <3

- Confirmation about whether Nintendo will offer GameCube support to the virtual console

This has already been confirmed. Confirmation of the app store might not happen publicly, but I expect it to be at least communicated to devs behind closed doors at GDC, everything else here will likely be saved for E3.

HylianTom

Banned
Nice post, Rösti. It's little things like this that needs attention. Small contributing factors such as the staff present at Nintendo's booth and their effect on the attendees can help portray the approach nintendo may be taking at GDC.

It could, however, be taken the other way - if Nintendo don't announce anything, they need to persuade the public as much as possible that the Wii U booth is still worth visiting, despite old demos and no new information. This is where an energetic, enthusiastic personality may have it's benefits - after all, people may not be fussed to try out something they've seen before.

I hope it's more that they need someone who's peppy and energetic to further spur enthusiasm for trying the small, new Nintendo Juicy™-related items of interest in a few days.

Gotta build that buzz, that momentum.. and this guy seems to fit the bill.

Oddduck

Speaking of the N64, i have found memories of the Project Reality teasing back in those days. We were so excited in the media's, more than in the Emotion Engine & Can-Be-Used-For-Nuclear-Thingy episodes. SGI involved, the same guys behind the stations responsible of Jurassic Park CGI at the time, footages of virtual reality simulations, elaborated 3D animations from shows like Imagina in Monaco, etc. How can some people have forgotten HOW MUCH Nintendo stressed on visual revolution and power for a long period ? The transition from Snes to N64 was so thrilling, all the "Full Glory of Project Reality Now Ultra 64 soon in arcade with KI and Cruisin'", the famous behind closed doors part of a Nintendo DKC promotional VHS included in our magazines where we had glimpses of Killer Instinct, the "see how we were able to make these gorgeous games on our 16 bit machine, imagine what we'll be capable of on the 64 bit one", etc.

Good old days <3

It's depressing to think about the Wii U after reading this. :(

But then I remember Nintendo franchises in HD, and I get happy again.

Reading numbers like this and thinking they're so laughable makes me feel way too young, if that's possible.

Yup, I feel too old though. I started gaming on Binatone Pong and then went on to the Atari VCS 2600 - 128 bytes of RAM (with no VRAM at all) and an 8 bit CPU running at 1.19MHz lol.

The Empire Strikes Back by Parker Brothers is still as addictive as crack cocaine and is imo one of the best video games of all-time.

Sorry to go off-topic, just wanted to reminisce lol.

I don't see how the N64 having 4 MB expandable to 8 MB was a questionable call. Specially considering the PS1 only had 2 MB of main ram, 1 MB of VRAM, and 512kB for Audio. For all intents and purposes the Saturn was around 3 1/2 MBs for it's main ram (once you added everything up) as well.

Perhaps someone can explain better, but the 4kb texture cache is widely regarded as a huge bottleneck for an otherwise extremely potent system. As for the main total memory, it was a tradeoff. The Rambus RDRAM was extremely fast for its time but it came at a high price. Was it the right call to keept it at 4 MB and later release the expansion pack? Who's to say, but some of the framerates in those N64 games surely could have benefited from 8MB off the bat, and the system was obviously designed w/ 8 MB in mind.

In regards to the audio DSP discussion, people should read this link regarding Nintendo's hardware design philosophy. Iwata and Miyamoto, as designers, value predictability over flexibility it seems. They would not want to add sound into their game and then something else in the game unexpectedly takes a nosedive. Why have to choose between high quality sound and something else?

Iwata said:
This is something both Mr. Miyamoto and I had a challenging time with as software developers, so maybe this is not a pleasing subject for Mr. Takeda, but we did experience a lot of hardships when working on Nintendo 64. When we were working on Famicom (Nintendo Entertainment System) and Super Famicom (Super NES), basically, whatever was promised in the hardware spec sheets could actually be done. However, since Nintendo 64, the concept of hardware has drastically changed to, "the software developers can do anything as they like, but the total amount of the work the hardware can execute is limited." In other words, we were told, "you are free to choose the allotments of the total performance." We, the software developers, are always greedy when it comes to the game ideas we want to realize. We tend to make every possible effort, here, there and everywhere. And then, after we have incorporated everything, we find that the software does not work. When just one designer, be it Mr. Miyamoto, me or someone else, did some extra effort in order to make slightly better graphics, the total frame rate greatly decreased. Such things happened, and we had a hard time dealing with them. The biggest trouble with Nintendo 64 was, when something unexpected happened, we could not tell why it had happened. At one time, the system was working just fine, but at some other time, the anticipated performance could not be generated. When we happened to be able to make it right, it was very quick, say, something like a tuned-up sports car, which could not show its maximum performance otherwise. That lesson we learned from Nintendo 64 was taken into consideration when we designed Nintendo GameCube, and the learning through the development of this hardware was there when we designed Wii.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/101029qa/03.html

lednerg

Here's what'll happen at GDC this year. Crytek will show their engine demo behind closed doors. We'll get some cryptic tidbits of info about it on Twitter during the start of the event, and then some more substantial info later on. Unless Crytek comes out and says "no this couldn't be done on current systems" we'll have to go by the opinions of the gaming press. People at GDC will be on both sides of the fence - that's just unavoidable when you're talking about something as subjective as graphics. 9 out of every 10 posts here will be about judging the 'power' of the console via these opinions about Crytek UK's demo making abilities. No one will learn anything.

At the same time, Nintendo will show off some new gameplay tech demos using Wii Sports graphics and not that many will pay attention. The gameplay mechanics will soon revolutionize the industry, but since we can't assign a multiplier number to them, there won't be too much discussion about them at all. But the graphics will be whined about to no end.

nordique

That's exactly what 360 did...it can be done.

Actually 360 /Xenos pushed so close to the bleeding edge it was kind of ridiculous, Xenos used some tech that wasn't in ATI cards for another couple of years. It also wasn't finished until the very last second which is an incredibly dangerous game to play. Xenos was basically ahead of it's time, forget contemporary with it's time. The equivalent of a 2014 video card in a 2013 machine.

The problem is if you try to time it just right like MS did with Xenos, if there's a problem you literally have no choice but to delay your console for months.

Basically it can and has been done, but I wouldn't recommend it and dont really see it happening this time. I think they'll go with something either even with the time they're aiming for (late 2013 card for late 2013 console), or slightly behind (early 2013 card for late 2013 console, etc).

But a 2012 card in a 2013 machine, I dont see.

It can be done yes, but this is also assuming Microsoft follows the same business model that lost them a very large amount of money for 2 generations.

I foresee them enjoying making money more so than losing money, and their recent business model of Kinect shows which direction they're looking to.

The only main reason the 360 has had a resurgence in popularity was because of Kinect.

I think you're right to assume the next Xbox will be a more capable machine than the 360, as Microsoft understands the "core" gamers are the backbone of their (and arguably any) video game business.

But if you're expecting a very large jump, you are going to be very disappointed. I don't know if this has been pointed out to you before or not, but you should temper your expectations of the next Xbox.

Keep in mind, as zombie pointed out, in a closed system environment a system can be capable of much more; case in point the 3DS hardware can pump something out like this:

(Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D)

jill-and-wesker-join-the-resident-evil-mercenaries-3d-cast-20110325033317222_640w.jpg

16169.jpg

compared with this:

(Resident Evil: Mercenaries Vs, optimized for iOS 3GS, *4 and 4S)

2382_fullsize.jpg

Resident-Evil-Mercenaries-VS.jpg

*4 was the primary platform target due to Retina compatibility although it was designed with 3GS in mind. Runs better on 4/4S. And, this game was actually based off of the 3DS version.

We all know how on paper an iPhone 4, even a 3GS seems much superior tech-wise to a 3DS, but the "closed" nature of the system is very important. (Never mind Revelations vs Degeneration iOS)

But this is now getting tangental. My point is the closed system environment can play a huge role.

But, that said, still do temper your hardware expectations. The rumoured "6670" in the "720" devkits makes a lot of sense to me. Its a much more capable card than Xenos. But don't expect a super powerful chip.

Also, while I am no tech head in any way, I do agree with wsippel's stance regarding the DSP. It is a smart engineering design move.

This has already been confirmed. Confirmation of the app store might not happen publicly, but I expect it to be at least communicated to devs behind closed doors at GDC, everything else here will likely be saved for E3.
Well, sort of. It was implied by a PR person and then officially retracted.

I want to see GameCube, Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast all confirmed for Wii U VC. Maybe even 32X and 3DO too. Also, more Arcade support.

spekkeh

Banned
Speaking of the N64, i have found memories of the Project Reality teasing back in those days. We were so excited in the media's, more than in the Emotion Engine & Can-Be-Used-For-Nuclear-Thingy episodes. SGI involved, the same guys behind the stations responsible of Jurassic Park CGI at the time, footages of virtual reality simulations, elaborated 3D animations from shows like Imagina in Monaco, etc. How can some people have forgotten HOW MUCH Nintendo stressed on visual revolution and power for a long period ? The transition from Snes to N64 was so thrilling from a media POV, all the "Full Glory of Project Reality Now Ultra 64 soon in arcade with KI and Cruisin'", the famous behind closed doors part of a Nintendo DKC promotional VHS included in our magazines where we had glimpses of Killer Instinct, the "see how we were able to make these gorgeous games on our 16 bit machine, imagine what we'll be capable of on the 64 bit one", etc.

Good old days <3
Yeah. I was eleven at the time. Project Reality was my first sexual experience.

Perhaps someone can explain better, but the 4kb texture cache is widely regarded as a huge bottleneck for an otherwise extremely potent system. As for the main total memory, it was a tradeoff. The Rambus RDRAM was extremely fast for its time but it came at a high price. Was it the right call to keept it at 4 MB and later release the expansion pack? Who's to say, but some of the framerates in those N64 games surely could have benefited from 8MB off the bat, and the system was obviously designed w/ 8 MB in mind.

I never said the 4kb of texture cache was good. I just commented on how you seemed to feel that going with 4MB of ram was a poor decision, when it was still .5 - 1 meg more than the competition. Which was roughly 16 - 33% more. I don't think the system was made with 8MB in mind. It would have been like if Sony released the PS3 with 1.25 gigs of ram this gen. I just don't think that was something they were contemplating doing when building the system.

Yes it was made with upgrading the ram in mind. Though I don't think they went in designing it saying the system is going to have 8MB, and then half way through the design process cut it to 4MB. Don't forget that the Saturn got 2 ram expansion packs, a 1 meg one and a 4 meg one. I think the expansion of ram at some point back then became the industries idea of extending the console life cycle.

Log4Girlz

SimCity V with each screen showing a different view point perhaps a zoomed out god mode and another view point from the eyes of a Sim. That would be cool.

How about a Civilization game where you have a zoomed out map on the TV and a list of all your cities on the touch pad.

Shion

Good old days <3

Man, I sure miss old Nintendo. :(

Wsippel's previous post(s) caused me to do a little digging. And while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I though I would pass them on here.

I came across a couple of patents while doing a cross search with Cadence and Nintendo. Both patents were filed in 2009.

The first was issued in Aug. 2011 and is for "Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats".

http://www.google.com/patents/US7995069?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false

The second was issued in Jan. 2012 and is for "Graphics processing system with enhanced memory controller".

http://www.google.com/patents/US8098255?printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

When I have more time I'll study over them more, but I went ahead and posted them in hopes that others could look them over and see what they can take from it as well, if anything at all.

Nibel

Nintendo Direct thread was pure madness and fun, I think everybody in there laughed their asses off. I mean, thinking about that stupid "Nintendo hype train in space" pic makes me still laugh, that was just amazing. :)

Sad thing is, that avatars will be disabled when it's E3 time..

Roo

No, it hasn't.
If so, please feel free to provide a link.

jacksrb

Nintendo Direct thread was pure madness and fun, I think everybody in there laughed their asses off. I mean, thinking about that stupid "Nintendo hype train in space" pic makes me still laugh, that was just amazing. :)

Sad thing is, that avatars will be disabled when it's E3 time..

Agreed. That was the magic of Nintendo + Hype + NeoGAF. The lead up with the avatars, etc. was way more fun than the actual conference (and the conference was fine).

That was all great fun. I think one of the best parts is how it all just came out of nowhere.

Yeah.. and Sony is playing financial Russian Roulette with its whole "power power power!" routine. It's called the "bleeding edge" for a reason.

I don't mind Nintendo's sense of self-preservation.

Nor I. Things like the wiimote and the Upad (and networks like XBL) have caused and will cause a much more significant change between generations than hardware power does. Console manufacturers are fighting a losing battle to see who can process the most hairs on someone's head at this point. It's a shame that people are so concerned about GPUs and CPUs that have already been surpassed on the consumer PC market. I'm much more interested in how the control interface will bring new game ideas into the fore.

Celine

Good old days <3
Yep, the big hype was what let N64 sold very well just out of the gate.
They show a bajillion GC "movie" ( onyx station ) that were unfeasible on the actual system.

QXygL.jpg

PzZ4L.jpg

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Interesting article from IGN UK, an interview of Aonuma concerning partnerships with outside studios to develop Zelda.

Late last year, Nintendo executive Shigeru Miyamoto commented on partnering more with western developers, similar to (or expanding upon) how Retro Studios was called upon to assist in the development of Mario Kart 7. Miyamoto noted that Retro had also worked on series like Metroid in the past, and that a franchise like Zelda might be a possibility in the future.

We recently had an opportunity to interview Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma about a number of topics related to the series, and asked him what he thought about partnering with Retro and other companies on Zelda, particularly as Nintendo moves into a more resource-intensive HD era.

Aonuma first noted that the Zelda series has been subject to many partnerships over the past decade, ranging from Grezzo on Ocarina of Time 3D to Capcom on Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, The Minish Cap and Four Swords. Aonuma also noted that even The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had outside help. Many fans spotted a special thank you Monolish Soft in the credits of the game, and it turns out the Xenoblade Chronicles developer assisted with Skyward Sword's graphics.

"Nintendo's developers will continue to work on a number of different titles, and I think that we will have to rely on outside companies for graphics and other elements that require massive resources," Aonuma said, specifically addressing the idea of future partnerships. "I'm satisfied when the cooperation between Nintendo and other companies becomes something meaningful for both parties."

Unfortunately we didn't get a sense of whether some sort of collaboration with Retro is already underway, though it is interesting that Aonuma focused on aspects of development rather than referring to full-game development. Though we've seen Retro handling the Metroid and Donkey Kong franchises in the past, perhaps its possible role in a Zelda game would be a bit more limited. Regardless, it seems clear that Nintendo's philosophy of development is evolving, allowing for more partners when critical or large-scale games call for it.

This will certainly fuel the "Retro on Zelda Wii U MEGATON !" further. But the bold part is interesting here. As the future title of that franchise will be quite demanding on visuals, we can expect Nintendo relying on another studio to handle specifically the graphics. I just hope that Nintendo games will keep their coherence with this new development approach, outsourcing, even with close monitoring, is often less preferable than doing everything yourself, especially with Big N games where what is displayed isn't just a pretty scenery but is heavily linked with the gameplay.

But this news can be 3DS related also. They overlooked the possibility that this whole "collaboration with another studio for a future Zelda" could concern a 3DS Zelda, involving for example the participation of Monolith as we know they recruited for this platform recently.

And Iwata announced Zelda Spirit Tracks on DS at the 2009 GDC... so maybe this year, it will be the turn for Zelda 3DS, even if apparently, Iwata will not be present ? Tadammmmm, some anticipation & expectation spice a few days before the show :p

But they still can create fantasy worlds with more detail, imagine a real life Neburi D=

Well that is true..that'd be nice.
You'll have to forgive me but, the first time I searched that up, I ran into Furry's riding Loftwings. Then I found "Oyako Neburi", which is apparently a "Adventure game, developed and published by Under Lip, which was released in Japan in 2007." That has a NSFW picture for a cover..so what is Neburi D:

Wsippel's previous post(s) caused me to do a little digging. And while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I though I would pass them on here.

I came across a couple of patents while doing a cross search with Cadence and Nintendo. Both patents were filed in 2009.

The first was issued in Aug. 2011 and is for "Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats".

http://www.google.com/patents/US7995069?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false

The second was issued in Jan. 2012 as is for "Graphics processing system with enhanced memory controller".

http://www.google.com/patents/US8098255?printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

When I have more time I'll study over them more, but I went ahead and posted them in hopes that others could look them over and see what they can take from it as well, if anything at all.

Great find. I wonder what about the memory controller is "enhanced." I doubt I'll be able to make proper sense of the patent, but perhaps somebody else will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom