• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In how many years more we will have that level of detail in games?

I'm kind of with Ice on this. It will probably be the next, next, next gen.

I personally hope never. I play video games to escape reality, not get re-immersed into reality.
But I'd say at least 15 years.

And we thought there were complaints about games training kids to be killers now.

Not enough Boobies.

I didn't see any boobies in the demo either.

blue-footed-booby_473_600x450.jpg

Roo

What do you guys think Nintendo will talk about at GDC?

A bunch of 3DS announcements.
More details about Nintendo Network BUT focusing more on 3DS' rather than Wii U's
new titles coming to the eShop (maybe a firmware update) and some low-key Wii games

I don't want to say anything about Wii U because we probably won't hear or see anything official from them that is not a leak or a 3rd party announcement. If I'm proven wrong that's fantastic but I pretty much made up my mind we'll have to wait till E3 for the megaton =P

guek

Banned
Interesting article from IGN UK, an interview of Aonuma concerning partnerships with outside studios to develop Zelda.

This will certainly fuel the "Retro on Zelda Wii U MEGATON !" further. But the bold part is interesting here. As the future title of that franchise will be quite demanding on visuals, we can expect Nintendo relying on another studio to handle specifically the graphics. I just hope that Nintendo games will keep their coherence with this new development approach, outsourcing, even with close monitoring, is often less preferable than doing everything yourself, especially with Big N games where what is displayed isn't just a pretty scenery but is heavily linked with the gameplay.

But this news can be 3DS related also. They overlooked the possibility that this whole "collaboration with another studio for a future Zelda" could concern a 3DS Zelda, with for example a Monolith collaboration as we know they recruited for this platform recently.

And Iwata announced Zelda Spirit Tracks on DS at the 2009 GDC... so maybe this year, it will be the turn for Zelda 3DS, even if apparently, Iwata will not be present ? Tadammmmm, some anticipation & expectation spice a few days before the show :p

Everytime you "speculate" on anything, I can't help but think you're trying to hint at some juicy bit of info that you know...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yep, the big hype was what let N64 sold very well just out of the gate.
They show a bajillion GC "movie" ( onyx station ) that were unfeasible on the actual system.

Oh i have my little share in this teasing back in the days. It was a real thrill, but a lot of us lacked detachment, the stigmata of young ages and a bit of fanboism i guess :p
It was like the project reality was a Silicon Graphics workstation at home, it was depicted as that for a long time. But well, the end result wasn't underwhelming in a way, the FX of Turok ultimate weapons was something never seen in videogames before from what i recall, "you'll say wow" certified :p

A pity that these over-the-top-enthousiasm&expectations have continued several years later, with other hardware announcements.

AzaK

Wsippel's previous post(s) caused me to do a little digging. And while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I though I would pass them on here.

I came across a couple of patents while doing a cross search with Cadence and Nintendo. Both patents were filed in 2009.

The first was issued in Aug. 2011 and is for "Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats".

http://www.google.com/patents/US7995069?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false

The second was issued in Jan. 2012 and is for "Graphics processing system with enhanced memory controller".

http://www.google.com/patents/US8098255?printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

When I have more time I'll study over them more, but I went ahead and posted them in hopes that others could look them over and see what they can take from it as well, if anything at all.

Cheers. I'll take a squizz at those later but I found it humourous in the pixel format one that they seem to talk about the N64 as being rather recent ;)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Everytime you "speculate" on anything, I can't help but think you're trying to hint at some juicy bit of info that you know...

On this case, i'm not hinting anything sorry :p

But the hintpotential of some of my previous messages was not fully exploited. When the flow of data will calm down and during the awful wait between GDC and E3, maybe some dwellers will come back at them :)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers. I'll take a squizz at those later but I found it humourous in the pixel format one that they seem to talk about the N64 as being rather recent ;)
This is extremely common in patents, as the conceptual ideas may have been sprung during the Nintendo 64 era for example, but only realized several years after.

But the hintpotential of some of my previous messages was not fully exploited. When the flow of data will calm down and during the awful wait between GDC and E3, maybe some dwellers will come back at them :)
Oh my... sounds to me like we'll have very little information about Wii U at GDC. Though since you reference the time interval between these two events and not between now and E3, I assume there will be some news at least.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wsippel's previous post(s) caused me to do a little digging. And while I haven't had a chance to really check them out, I though I would pass them on here.

I came across a couple of patents while doing a cross search with Cadence and Nintendo. Both patents were filed in 2009.

The first was issued in Aug. 2011 and is for "Graphics system with embedded frame buffer having reconfigurable pixel formats".

http://www.google.com/patents/US7995069?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false
That's about Flipper.

The second was issued in Jan. 2012 and is for "Graphics processing system with enhanced memory controller".

http://www.google.com/patents/US8098255?printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false
And that I have yet to read ; )

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The N64 was my favourite console of all time. It's the only old console I've kept and I still plug it in from time to time to play Wave Race and Mario 64. Just a beautiful awesome thrilling machine to own and it still manages to look better the any other console I've ever owned.

THE:MILKMAN

Please continue to hint/tease until E3. I love it.

IdeaMan:
Chief Testicle Tickler

Log4Girlz

The N64 was my favourite console of all time. It's the only old console I've kept and I still plug it in from time to time to play Wave Race and Mario 64. Just a beautiful awesome thrilling machine to own and it still manages to look better the any other console I've ever owned.

Man, those were glorious times.

That's about Flipper.

I look forward to your analysis. The second patent speaks of main memory with a 128 bit bus to the graphics pipeline or whatever. That doesn't sound like Gamecube to me...

Edit: Although other parts certainly do. TEV is mentioned it seems.

Edit 2: Seems the enhanced memory controller is designed specifically to interact with 1TSRAM. Looks like this patent is also irrelevant, but perhaps something can be gleaned from it concerning Nintendo's design philosophy. For example, the focus on reducing latency is unlikely to change.

That's about Flipper.

I would have never guessed the former due to the date.

And I look forward to you telling me the latter deals with the N64.

I look forward to your analysis. The second patent speaks of main memory with a 128 bit bus to the graphics pipeline or whatever. That doesn't sound like Gamecube to me...

Edit: Although other parts certainly do. TEV is mentioned it seems.

Edit 2: Seems the enhanced memory controller is designed specifically to interact with 1TSRAM. Looks like this patent is also irrelevant, but perhaps something can be gleaned from it concerning Nintendo's design philosophy. For example, the focus on reducing latency is unlikely to change.

Interesting on the bus. Not shocked at the TEV mention as they wouldn't necessarily want to give away exactly what they are doing. I hope to set some time aside myself soon to look it over.

BlackJace

I've been lurking on this thread and the original one before I became a member. I've really been researching the Wii U and wanted to add to the discussion here, but for some reason I just can't. It's like the few who have been posting since the first thread's comments are just so damn interesting to read. Anyways, I guess I'll continue to do so. There's some really insightful people here, I tell ya.

Thought I'd put that out there, Cheers.

DrWong

Here's what'll happen at GDC this year. Crytek will show their engine demo behind closed doors. We'll get some cryptic tidbits of info about it on Twitter during the start of the event, and then some more substantial info later on. Unless Crytek comes out and says "no this couldn't be done on current systems" we'll have to go by the opinions of the gaming press. People at GDC will be on both sides of the fence - that's just unavoidable when you're talking about something as subjective as graphics. 9 out of every 10 posts here will be about judging the 'power' of the console via these opinions about Crytek UK's demo making abilities. No one will learn anything.

At the same time, Nintendo will show off some new gameplay tech demos using Wii Sports graphics and not that many will pay attention. The gameplay mechanics will soon revolutionize the industry, but since we can't assign a multiplier number to them, there won't be too much discussion about them at all. But the graphics will be whined about to no end.
I would add: something about network and Wii U VC will be shared too and some games will be announced.

Nintendo Direct thread was pure madness and fun, I think everybody in there laughed their asses off. I mean, thinking about that stupid "Nintendo hype train in space" pic makes me still laugh, that was just amazing. :)

Sad thing is, that avatars will be disabled when it's E3 time..
So much fun. I'm ready for the next train.

I've been lurking on this thread and the original one before I became a member. I've really been researching the Wii U and wanted to add to the discussion here, but for some reason I just can't. It's like the few who have been posting since the first thread's comments are just so damn interesting to read. Anyways, I guess I'll continue to do so. There's some really insightful people here, I tell ya.

Just post whatever nonsense you feel like, man.
You won't hurt this thread none.
:D

TriGen

Agree with everything you said, I loved my N64. I also love that you mention Wave Race as well, my dad doesn't play many video games anymore but he use to play quite a bit, and there was no game he played more then Wave Race. He would play that thing non-stop, what's funny is he asks me from time to time if I think they'll ever make another one and up until the Wii U was announced I'd say no, but I actually think there is a chance for a next-gen Wave Race because of it's HD potential.

you're welcome

Would Nintendo announce a new version of 3DS hardware at GDC ?, a good time imo as Vita has just launched in USA / Europe.

A slimer 3DS with improved battery life and two analogue sticks for £150 up against a PSV Wi Fi for £240 would be the final nail in the coffin for that particular console war imo.

Hopefully we get a new tech demo for Wii U at GDC to wet the appetite for E3 and show off the rumoured hardware / dev kit improvements since E3 2011.

Would Nintendo announce a new version of 3DS hardware at GDC ?, a good time imo as Vita has just launched in USA / Europe.

A slimer 3DS with improved battery life and two analogue sticks for £150 up against a PSV Wi Fi for £240 would be the final nail in the coffin for that particular console war imo.

Hopefully we get a new tech demo for Wii U at GDC to wet the appetite for E3 and show off the rumoured hardware / dev kit improvements since E3 2011.

I doubt very much they'll announce a new 3DS version this YEAR.
Let alone GDC.

Also, a slimmer system would mean a worse battery life and likely no analog stick at all.

Way to soon for a 3DS revision. They're still getting hammered on the current one, lol. That and they have an extremely significant hardware launch coming later this year.

Naw, no real benefit to announcing one quite this early. If there is one it won't be revealed at E3 either, they'll save it for TGS or somewhere in the fall, release in Q1 2013.

it will never end will it?

final nail in the coffin will be Pokemon 3DS, no need for fancy redesigns yet. No way Nintendo's gonna release a new version in 2012 just when system's selling truckloads

it will never end will it?

final nail in the coffin will be Pokemon 3DS, no need for fancy redesigns yet. No way Nintendo's gonna release a new version in 2012 just when system's selling truckloads

I'd say the fact that they are still losing money on the system would be a bigger reason why they won't announce a revision.

I'd say the fact that they are still losing money on the system would be a bigger reason why they won't announce a revision.

they need to recoup costs first? Sure altho they already making big money with the two Marios. I'd say they're pretty comfortable right now. Always had the impression Nintendo spit out a new version whenever sales of a certain design started to slow down, but certainly the 3DS costs way more than a DS to manifacture

they need to recoup costs first? Sure altho they already making big money with the two Marios. I'd say they're pretty comfortable right now. Always had the impression Nintendo spit out a new version whenever sales of a certain design started to slow down

Well, that probably was true.
But at the same time, the 3DS is fairly unprecedented for Nintendo in that it is a loss leader and that they need to drive a strong market up front, rather than flood it with revisions like with the DS.

K444WSR

All this talk about n64 has got me reminiscing about wave race and 1080 for some reason. Whilst it's too much to hope for one of these to be resurrected for launch, is is too much to hope we see either (preferably both) on the wii u with a fully realized online mode?

All this talk about n64 has got me reminiscing about wave race and 1080 for some reason. Whilst it's too much to hope for one of these to be resurrected for launch, is is too much to hope we see either (preferably both) on the wii u with a fully realized online mode?

I wouldn't be surprised to see either on the Wii U.
Especially Wave Race.

fernoca

No chances, but who knows.
Also keep in mind that there's no way that a redesigned 3DS will be slimer, with improved battery life, 2 analogs and 4 shoulder buttons and be cheaper too.
Unless it's "slim" but as as big as a VHS; but that still leaves the cost (they usually don't add stuff and price it the same or cheaper).

BlackJace

Just post whatever nonsense you feel like, man.
You won't hurt this thread none.
:D

Ah, yes. I feel we will be seeing a lot of that in the coming weeks until E3. I'll HAVE to chime in by then. I can't wait for the inevitable breakdowns and discussions.
And the gifs...the sweet gifs.

Hiltz

I think we'll probably get a 3DS revision next year. Don't most 3DS owners feel that there's obvious room for improvement with the hardware anyway ?

Gameboy - 1989
Gameboy Pocket - 1996
Gameboy Light - 1998 (Japan only)
Gameboy Color - 1998 (Stopgap)
Gameboy Advance - 2001
Gameboy SP - 2003
Gameboy Micro - 2005

DS - 2004
DS Lite - 2005
DSi - 2008/2009
DSi XL - 2010
3DS - 2011

I think we'll probably get a 3DS revision next near. Don't most 3DS owners feel that there's obvious room for improvement with the hardware anyway ?

Gameboy - 1989
Gameboy Pocket - 1996
Gameboy Light - 1998 (Japan only)
Gameboy Color - 1998 (Stopgap)
Gameboy Advance - 2001
Gameboy SP - 2003
Gameboy Micro - 2005

DS - 2004
DS Lite - 2005
DSi - 2008/2009
DSi XL - 2010
3DS - 2011

Besides the addition of the Pro buttons, there's not a lot that I think needs to be changed on the 3DS.

K444WSR

I wouldn't be surprised to see either on the Wii U.
Especially Wave Race.
I sincerely hope so.

I think there's so much potential for both games if they have an online mode similar to mk7, with downloadable ghosts/communities etc.

I was also thinking how much mario party could benefit from having an online mode. Apart from the obvious multiplayer options, they could have new boards/minigames as dlc. Or some sort of port of football/championship manager could be viable with the upad helping the controls. Or a compilation of old pc point&click adventure games, available on their new estore (or whatever they call it). Or a game similar to the collection of card games they had on ds (42 classic games?), with online play.
Don't mind me guys, just thinking out loud.

HylianTom

Banned
In order to emphasize the new controller's screen for the Nintendo Juicy™, I'd love to see Miyamoto, Reggie, Iwata, and Gabe Newell come out on stage in Teletubbie costumes.

So awesome..

Anth0ny

Besides the addition of the Pro buttons, there's not a lot that I think needs to be changed on the 3DS.

The dpad and analog stick scratches the top screen. Has that been fixed?

Also, it's too small. And it could get a stronger battery. I think the design could definitely be changed for the better.

The dpad and analog stick scratches the top screen. Has that been fixed?

Also, it's too small. I think the design could definitely be changed for the better.

Yeah that's been fixed in most new models.
All it takes is like a CM more rubber for the stoppers on the top screen.

fernoca

Yeah that's been fixed in most new models.
All it takes is like a CM more rubber for the stoppers on the top screen.
Yep.
A friend forgot a red 3DS on January, and the first thing I noticed was that when closed, the screens are not as tight/more separate than on the launch model I had.

It might still be a problem, only if said person puts it on a really tight case and on the pockets of a really tight jean, as the added pressure is what ended causing the smudge/scratches in the original models.

But for all intents and purposes it has been fixed.

In order to emphasize the new controller's screen for the Nintendo Juicy™, I'd love to see Miyamoto, Reggie, Iwata, and Gabe Newell come out on stage in Teletubbie costumes.

So awesome..

Whats all this Juicy trademark??

I was thinking the other day hoping Nintendo makes more use of WiiU 3DS connectivity, at least we know Smash bros will make us of it, dont understand how even GCN+GBA got more interaction than Wii+DS...

Shion

Blue Storm was a bit disappointing for me, but I remember myself spending countless hours with Wave Race 64. Such an amazing game.
A new Wave Race with online play, next-gen graphics and awesome, physics-based gameplay, would be amazing.

TunaLover

Can Retro handle technical stuff and leave Nintendo internal studios handle music, art direction, characters modeling PLEASE?
For Zelda

=/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom