• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed to hear the HDD news.

I'd much rather have a custom drive that costs 3x as much as a normal one, comes in a small range of fixed sizes, and is a pain to replace.

Kind of similar to using an SD card on the Wii and 3DS. Every time I do that I think to myself it's really too bad that I can use a cheap SD card I bought for my digital camera to store my virtual console games as well, vs the PSP stick that works for no other devices, was a pain in the ass to find and was much more expensive.

Logic!

Wait, there was news about Nintendo's external hard drive plans?? What happened?

Glass Joe

I think they want it to be known as the new Wii. I know there is a line of thinking that the Wii name has been so irreversibly damaged to "core" gamers that they shouldn't use it. But as it relates to that demographics, if the online, OS and software all delivers, they will buy the system.

The real golden goose is the families, soccer moms and casuals. If they think Wii U is the shiny brand new next version Wii, that is a good thing for Nintendo.

Your point is key and that is why it makes sense to keep the Wii branding. Casuals are less likely to research so they need to keep the name out there and let them think "oh it's the new Wii" when they encounter it.

Core gamers might have a bias and hesitate, but they will research plenty and go where the action is. They'll be swayed with the right features and games if the platform can deliver.

Wait, there was news about Nintendo's external hard drive plans?? What happened?

No news. Just a silly argument in another thread. One that Margalis just slam-dunked here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I like to think of the E3 2011 launch as never having happened. E3 2012 is where it's at. If they can deliver a lot of games you cant find elsewhere, cool online service ideas that move far away from the Wii, and really show off the graphical power of the system, I think the general public will do alright differentiating it from the Wii.

Absolutely. The OS, the Nintendo Network, the games, Pikmin 3 will show the graphic capabilities (one of the reason it was moved to the Wii U WAS because of the HD and the better graphics, after all.)

Heck, they said they'll talk about the launch line-up at E3, the only thing they won't reveal is the price and the release date, which they never reveal at E3 anyway.

This really is Nintendo's E3 to win.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wow, I finally caught up to the end of this thread. I've come to realize that it takes ~3 hours a day to keep up. :\

I also disapprove of clicky-sticks on controllers. I like the stick to remain rock-solid and find the pseudo-buttons to feel awkward to use. Its a dual use control and your mind has to make that tiny mental switch each time you use it.

My biggest gripe with the controller design is the small, standard cross pattern of the buttons. Please Nintendo, experiment like you did with Gamecube and mix up the size and position of the buttons. "A" should be the biggest.

Is there any confirmation yet on what the black IR window on the forward side of the controller is for? For another IR camera or an IR transmitter?

Linkhero1

Wow, I finally caught up to the end of this thread. I've come to realize that it takes ~3 hours a day to keep up. :\

I also disapprove of clicky-sticks on controllers. I like the stick to remain rock-solid and find the pseudo-buttons to feel awkward to use. Its a dual use control and your mind has to make that tiny mental switch each time you use it.

Is there any confirmation yet on what the black IR window on the forward side of the controller is for? For another IR camera or an IR transmitter?

If it's anything like the 360 controller then it shouldn't be a problem.

Glass Joe

It's a sensor bar. They showed it off in the Wii U Golf video demo.

Linkhero1

Absolutely. The OS, the Nintendo Network, the games, Pikmin 3 will show the graphic capabilities (one of the reason it was moved to the Wii U WAS because of the HD and the better graphics, after all.)

Heck, they said they'll talk about the launch line-up at E3, the only thing they won't reveal is the price and the release date, which they never reveal at E3 anyway.

They can possibly screw it up. There's always that really slim chance. Also MS might swoop the show by showing Kinectimals 2. Never doubt Kinectimals.

Medalion

Banned

It would be sad if they couldn't win this E3 since the other 2 companies are supposedly not bringing up their next-gen systems

They can possibly screw it up. There's always that really slim chance. Also MS might swoop the show by showing Kinectimals 2. Never doubt Kinectimals.

The ball-tickling sim sequel

BY2K

Membero Americo

They can, but they can't afford to. They can't screw up a console reveal twice in a row.

If they bring back that little girl for Kinectimals 2, it's gonna be the conference of the year

Maybe Reggie hired it, though? That will be the megaton

No, not the one on the top, the smaller one facing the tv set.

It was a sticker, but then someone posted a pic of a presumably updated controller which had an actual thing that was probably an IR camera.

edit:

#15100: Mystery black patch resembling IR camera is "Just a Sticker" -Nintendolife.com

#15121: IR camera is on the DRC but in a different place (photo shown at #15236) ← note: still could be something else, like IR transmitter for being a universal TV remote or whatnot

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It's both, but I misunderstood Gahiggidy's question.

So you mean the black square from the Rayman vid? No firm info on that.

Not the sticker, that is more underneath. The black square has been on there since the beginning...

e3-hands-on--nintendos-wii-u-controller.jpg

Gahiggidy

I just watched the Wii U concept trailer again and noticed that when the guy waling in th eroom says "Hey, its time to watch some baseball..." he uses the tv remote to change the channel and not the wii u controller...

sad.png

Linkhero1

I just watched the Wii U concept trailer again and noticed that when the guy waling in th eroom says "Hey, its time to watch some baseball..." he uses the tv remote to change the channel and not the wii u controller...

sad.png

What's wrong with that? Were you expecting the Wii U Pad to have the ability to change the channel for you? It would be nice, but I doubt they'll do that.

sfried

What's wrong with that? Were you expecting the Wii U Pad to have the ability to change the channel for you? It would be nice, but I doubt they'll do that.
Considering they already have that ability for the Wii in Japan, and the Wii U uses HDMI cables, meaning it can theoretically also control the volume and change inputs too.

Linkhero1

Here it is in lady-hands:

wii-u-controller-with-zelda-hd.jpg

If feel as if I'd accidentally press the buttons under the RS. I'm pretty sure it's been talked to death already though.

Considering they already have that ability for the Wii in Japan, and the Wii U uses HDMI cables, meaning it can theoretically also control the volume and change inputs too.

I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure if it's possible they'll end up doing it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
was the look on Craig Harris face when they said it, I think at that point he knew he was done at IGN.

You know, I just re-watched it and, how the hell could the host think Nintendo had the weakest show in 2010?

And the "for the things I actually want" bullcrap was just silly.

The "no awkward moments" when talking about the Microsoft Conference was hilarious. It's like never didn't watched the whole thing. The Kinectimal girl, for instance, was awkward.

Again, doesn't look that big.

And AGAIN, DAT SCREEN. God damn, every time I see it, I'm stunned. If there's one thing Nintendo got right on that controller, it's the screen. Don't change a thing!

I'm not overly impressed with the screen. It's what I expect it to be. I guess this IS Nintendo and they could have cheaped out, so that's impressive.

You know, I just re-watched it and, how the hell could the host think Nintendo had the weakest show in 2010?

The "no awkward moments" when talking about the Microsoft Conference was hilarious. It's like never didn't watched the whole thing. The Kinectimal girl, for instance, was awkward.

Kinectimals girl is my hero it takes courage to get on stage and fiddle with imaginary balls and pretend it's a tiger.

Wasn't it Daemon Hatfield and Greg Miller in the video with Harris in that video? If there are two guys who can, with a straight face, say that Nintendo didn't have the best show that year, it's those two jagoffs. Microsoft's show that year was full of embarrassing moments (2008-Nintendo level) but no one was willing to admit it.

Aguila

#ICONIC

Actually, there is a patent that describes the Wii U controller as a universal remote: patent

Hmmm, will the Wii U controller be able to work on it's own, without turning on the console itself?

Big icons. Do not want.
If I'm playing a game on the Wii U pad rather than on the television, I hope the HUD won't be that big.

Linkhero1

Actually, there is a patent that describes the Wii U controller as a universal remote: patent

Hmmm, will the Wii U controller be able to work on it's own, without turning on the console itself?

I missed this patent as well.

Well I don't know if it'd work without turning on the console itself considering I only see one power button on the controller and it usually turns the console on as well. Would be awesome if it worked as a standalone remote without the console.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wasn't it Daemon Hatfield and Greg Miller in the video with Harris in that video? If there are two guys who can, with a straight face, say that Nintendo didn't have the best show that year, it's those two jagoffs. Microsoft's show that year was full of embarrassing moments (2008-Nintendo level) but no one was willing to admit it.

Hatfield was there, but not Miller.

Isn't there little inside the controller in terms of tech? In that it requires the juice of the console being on to actually do anything?

Big icons. Do not want.
If I'm playing a game on the Wii U pad rather than on the television, I hope the HUD won't be that big.
I gotta think that the HUD will be adaptable based on if you are playing on just the controller or on the TV. Hopefully. Plus, that is just a tech demo so it may change significantly.

Hatfield was there, but not Miller.
Well, he would be the last one to give Nintendo any credit anyway.

Demon Hatfield is the worst of the bunch. I remember during the Nintendo Voice Chats at IGN he was always the bitter one. I forgot what happened exactly, but I recall him having a fit against Nintendo.
On one of the podcasts one of the other people brought up Nintendo (I forget what capacity) but he just went off yelling at the guy that "the Wii sucks" (said it several times) and just basically tearing the guy down for suggesting the Wii deserved a place in the conversation they were having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom