• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Wasn't it Daemon Hatfield and Greg Miller in the video with Harris in that video? If there are two guys who can, with a straight face, say that Nintendo didn't have the best show that year, it's those two jagoffs. Microsoft's show that year was full of embarrassing moments (2008-Nintendo level) but no one was willing to admit it.
A number of the mainline gaming media sites are like this though. Post-E3 roundtable discussions, analysis columns, different articles where every staff reporter gets a paragraph or two to give their take on things.. it's gotten very predictable.

I'm fully expecting lots of skeptical "but.. did Nintendo do enough?" and "I'll just wait for PS720" comments this year.

Linkhero1

On one of the podcasts one of the other people brought up Nintendo (I forget what capacity) but he just went off yelling at the guy that "the Wii sucks" (said it several times) and just basically tearing the guy down for suggesting the Wii deserved a place in the conversation they were having.
What a loser. I never did like him even when he was part of the Nintendo crew at IGN.

What a douche. He thought it was the weakest? I like how Craig was shocked at Demon.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What's wrong with that? Were you expecting the Wii U Pad to have the ability to change the channel for you? It would be nice, but I doubt they'll do that.

I think its extremely important to Wii U's success that it does.

Considering they already have that ability for the Wii in Japan, and the Wii U uses HDMI cables, meaning it can theoretically also control the volume and change inputs too.

Huh?! HDMI allows you to do that?

guek

Banned
You know what would be extremely cool? If you could somehow watch TV on the upad as well. But I don't think there's any feasible way they could make that happen.

Linkhero1

I think its extremely important to Wii U's success that it does.

I don't think it's as important as you make it sound. I mean it's another feature that the Wii U Pad will most likely have, but it's not going to be the key feature selling the console.

The most extremely important key to Wii U's success is the software and apps. They need a lot of exclusives that make people look at the console and say I need that.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Another thing about the remote: I really hope it's built very sturdy and hardy. If it's not, Nintendo better include some Wii U pad condoms as well as a screen protector.

I missed this patent as well.

Well I don't know if it'd work without turning on the console itself considering I only see one power button on the controller and it usually turns the console on as well. Would be awesome if it worked as a standalone remote without the console.

Well, it's been mentioned that the hardware may change so let's hope they include these features.

Isn't there little inside the controller in terms of tech? In that it requires the juice of the console being on to actually do anything?

I gotta think that the HUD will be adaptable based on if you are playing on just the controller or on the TV. Hopefully. Plus, that is just a tech demo so it may change significantly.

I don't think it would need much for the Wii U controller to act as a universal remote. Other than that feature, I doubt I would use the controller without having the system on because that's where, as you said, the controller will get it's information from.

As for the HUD on the small screen, I see a problem with some things like text/icons/numbers being too small to interpret if not adjusted to the screen so, yeah, let's hope game developers actually work on these types of issues.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't think it's as important as you make it sound. I mean it's another feature that the Wii U Pad will most likely have, but it's not going to be the key feature selling the console.

The most extremely important key to Wii U's success is the software and apps. They need a lot of exclusives that make people look at the console and say I need that.

You don't know how many times I wanted to play a game but said "fuck it" because having to mess around with 2-3 remotes to change inputs and get into the game was too cumbersome.

I want to be able to play games during commercial breaks.

guek

Banned
How could anyone possibly deny the fact that Nintendo won E3 2010?

It didn't have portal 3, MW3, dead space 2, rage, MoH, or deus ex. I think they're right that the 3rd parties were the real stars of the show that year, but nintendo definitely had the best conference and exclusives.

Linkhero1

You don't know how many times I wanted to play a game but said "fuck it" because having to mess around with 2-3 remotes to change inputs and get into the game was too cumbersome.

I want to be able to play games during commercial breaks.
I understand because I feel the same way. I just don't think it will sell consoles just because you're able to do that, although it's a great feature to include.

It didn't have portal 3, MW3, dead space 2, rage, MoH, or deus ex. I think they're right that the 3rd parties were the real stars of the show that year, but nintendo definitely had the best conference and exclusives.

Woah, Portal 3!? Are you sure you didn't watch an E3 2020 conference?

Glass Joe

Not the sticker, that is more underneath. The black square has been on there since the beginning...

e3-hands-on--nintendos-wii-u-controller.jpg

I assume it interacts with the sensor bar on top of the tv like the Wii remotes do? I know the sensor bar is still there to ensure wii-mote compatibility, but I think it's still needed for the Wii Motion Plus (tech that I assume is in the tablet) at the very least for calibration reasons.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What was shown? I do remember that the nintendo conference was god awful last year.

Nintendo's E3 2010 was godly. Skyward Sword (even though the presentation was botched), DCK Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye.

Then the reveal of the 3DS including Kid Icarus and it ended with a bunch of big 3rd party games being announced like Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Professor Layton, and Resident Evil.

THEN came the after show stuff like Animal Crossing 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Mario Kart.

I assume it interacts with the sensor bar on top of the tv like the Wii remotes do? I know the sensor bar is still there to ensure wii-mote compatibility, but I think it's still needed for the Wii Motion Plus (tech that I assume is in the tablet) at the very least for calibration reasons.
That small black rectangle in that picture is too small to house the IR camera lens used in the Wii Remote.

guek

Banned
Nintendo's E3 2010 was godly. Skyward Sword (even though the presentation was botched), DCK Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye.

Then the reveal of the 3DS including Kid Icarus and it ended with a bunch of big 3rd party games being announced like Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Professor Layton, and Resident Evil.

THEN came the after show stuff like Animal Crossing 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64 3D, Mario Kart.

NOT ENOUGH PEW PEW.

While a lot of that stuff didn't exactly pan out, it's worth noting that the way it was present was excellent. Just game after game after game. Yes. Everyone should do that.

Yeah I went to E3 2010, and the 3DS really took the show. Not quite as much as the Wii did in 2006, but it showed that Nintendo still knows how to put on a show (talking about the whole experience, not jus the press conference).

Glass Joe

That small black rectangle in that picture is too small to house the IR camera lens used in the Wii Remote.

Hmm I'm definitely not a very techie guy compared to the rest of the forum, so just to be up front, I'm talking out my ass most likely. Is it possible the technology has improved to be smaller in size? It is 2012 tech compared to 2006. Or is it maybe that less tech is needed now, due to the Wii Motion Plus advancements? i.e. the thing just needs to only know where "center" is occasionally for calibration while the motion plus does the rest?

I do think you're going to be using the tablet to point at parts of the screen and it has to know where the T.V.'s center point is somehow in order to do that.

Bgassassin just crushed my Wii U dreams :(
not really... it was more like a reality slap =/

Haha. Well Wii U won't be on par with PS4 or Xbox 3, but that doesn't mean Wii U can't get ports of games from those consoles.

So as long as 3rd parties are willing to port to Wii U from those two consoles (an effort issue instead of hardware issues like with Wii), you should be able to own one console. Worst case scenario you're probably looking at this kind of difference with the Wii U version compared to the other two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkHoDEh0FWc

Hmm I'm definitely not a very techie guy compared to the rest of the forum, so just to be up front, I'm talking out my ass most likely. Is it possible the technology has improved to be smaller in size? It is 2012 tech compared to 2006. Or is it maybe that less tech is needed now, due to the Wii Motion Plus advancements? i.e. the thing just needs to only know where "center" is occasionally for calibration while the motion plus does the rest?

I do think you're going to be using the tablet to point at parts of the screen and it has to know where the T.V.'s center point is somehow in order to do that.
It's a video camera that sees Infrared light. The "sensor bar" is really just a plastic bar with Infrared LED lights on the two ends, that the controller's camera can see and figure out relative motion and rotations based on the orientation, position, and distance of the two lights that it sees. It's possible that they included a tiny spy camera in the controller instead of the cheap camera they are still putting into millions of Wii Remotes, but it seems doubtful. Especially as the controller would have to register the exact same motions as a standard Wii Remote for asynchronous play.

Linkhero1

Haha. Well Wii U won't be on par with PS4 or Xbox 3, but that doesn't mean Wii U can't get ports of games from those consoles.

So as long as 3rd parties are willing to port to Wii U from those two consoles (an effort issue instead of hardware issues like with Wii), you should be able to own one console. Worst case scenario you're probably looking at this kind of difference with the Wii U version compared to the other two.

The difference is quite apparent in that video. Do you guys think it will be a similar situation with the Wii U and PS4/Xbox 3? (Of course we don't know anything about PS4/Xbox 3)

The difference is quite apparent in that video. Do you guys think it will be a similar situation with the Wii U and PS4/Xbox 3? (Of course we don't know anything about PS4/Xbox 3)

I'm saying that based on what I know of the other consoles and I chose that specific video as a representation of worst case scenario.

Glass Joe

It's a video camera that sees Infrared light. The "sensor bar" is really just a plastic bar with Infrared LED lights on the two ends, that the controller's camera can see and figure out relative motion and rotations based on the orientation, position, and distance of the two lights that it sees. It's possible that they included a tiny spy camera in the controller instead of the cheap camera they are still putting into millions of Wii Remotes, but it seems doubtful. Especially as the controller would have to register the exact same motions as a standard Wii Remote for asynchronous play.

The lenses of the 3DS cameras and smart phones are pretty tiny, and its only function would be to detect the sensor bar on occasion. Older style wii remotes have to see the sensor bar at all times while I think the Motion Plus relies on gyroscopes and math to do it until it unsyncs. Anyway, just my theory, I could very well be wrong. But if I am wrong, then there's no way I can really think of for the tablet to understand exactly where the TV is. Unless they've gotten rid of that functionality - then I dunno what the black square would be for. TV remote?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That generation is a weird one. Compared to the Xbox, the PS2 and GCN lacked the modern GPU architecture that allowed developers to easily use shaders and what have you. People often forget, but when the Xbox launched it really was a very capable PC in the form of a console. Developers could do a lot of things quicker and easier on the Xbox than they could on even the Wii. DirectX driver libraries will do that that for you.

Roo

i'mokwiththis.jpg
no but seriously, I never expected Nintendo going crazy (power wise) with Wii U, but I did expect Sony being more conservative with PS4 to the point where both were similar enough in terms of power.

That video you posted as an example of the "worst case scenario" gives me hope about games being technically the same on all the consoles when everything is said and done.

Edit: meh.. I overthink what I have to write... I was beated like 5 times already lol

You know what would be extremely cool? If you could somehow watch TV on the upad as well. But I don't think there's any feasible way they could make that happen.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Also, Nintendo just needs to a way to be the between your cable and TV.

crazy how good the xbox version looked. I see it being the same. PS4/wiiU being quite close. Xbox3 being ahead. As long as devs put in work then I couldn't give a fuck less.

GDGF

Soothsayer

I would be perfectly fine with this being the wcs.

For what you might see more often when comparing the next consoles, you guys should looks at the videos made by this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvGOtozbUs

That's actually very encouraging to me. I thought the worst case would be much worse.

Yeah. There won't be a repeat of this gen.

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying. I like what I'm hearing then and I'm not too worried about getting third party ports.

Shame on you. I said that in the other post. :p

But yeah it's going to boil down more to effort... and if they can figure out a good idea for the controller. <_<

Pretty much in line with my expectations.

Good line to have.

That generation is a weird one. Compared to the Xbox, the PS2 and GCN lacked the modern GPU architecture that allowed developers to easily use shaders and what have you. People often forget, but when the Xbox launched it really was a very capable PC in the form of a console. Developers could do a lot of things quicker and easier on the Xbox than they could on even the Wii. DirectX driver libraries will do that that for you.

I agree. Unfortunately due to how big PS2 was we didn't see enough games truly exploiting the difference.

Glass Joe

crazy how good the xbox version looked. I see it being the same. PS4/wiiU being quite close. Xbox3 being ahead. As long as devs put in work then I couldn't give a fuck less.

I'm not as optimistic in this regard. Power games are what the competitors have to use as artillery, so I expect the PS4 / 720 to mop the floor visually with the Wii U. Especially if they ignore adding their own tablets and shift those costs into getting more horsepower... With an extra year to brew, too. Except for accounting for diminishing returns in regards to graphics, it could play out more like the Dreamcast vs PS2 / XBox.

Though one factor to consider is if most publishers decide that those visuals/environments are too expensive to make. Another is if port wise, the Wii U can acceptably run more advanced engines that will likely be used in PS/Xbox consoles. Some developers may decide to use the Wii U as a base and just make their games prettier here and there on the other consoles. I don't think the U can afford a slow launch like the 3DS had though. They need to get in as many homes as they can out of the gate and really get the support of third parties early.

I'm not as optimistic in this regard. Power games are what the competitors have to use as artillery, so I expect the PS4 / 720 to mop the floor visually with the Wii U. Especially if they ignore adding their own tablets and shift those costs into getting more horsepower... With an extra year to brew, too. Except for accounting for diminishing returns in regards to graphics, it could play out more like the Dreamcast vs PS2 / XBox.

Though one factor to consider is if most publishers decide that those visuals/environments are too expensive to make. Another is if port wise, the Wii U can acceptably run more advanced engines that will likely be used in PS/Xbox consoles. Some developers may decide to use the Wii U as a base and just make their games prettier here and there on the other consoles. I don't think the U can afford a slow launch like the 3DS had though. They need to get in as many homes as they can out of the gate and really get the support of third parties early.

I'd normally agree but circumstances allow me to believe that Sony will want to sell at a decent profit from launch, and to do that you need to make sacrifices. And it falls in line with the rumblings recently.

Glass Joe

I'd normally agree but circumstances allow me to believe that Sony will want to sell at a decent profit from launch, and to do that you need to make sacrifices. And it falls in line with the rumblings recently.

I'm not quite up to date on the rumblings, though I've glanced here and there. Without significantly more power, what the hell would Sony be able to do? Aren't they already rumored to launch last? I guess I did hear that Sony's looking more toward profits and efficiency, but they're not going to be coming off the rousing successes of PS1 and 2. They've lost major momentum and need a reason for people to choose their console. If Xbox has the best graphics and Nintendo has the best innovations, what will Sony's angle be? They were in last place this gen.

I'm not quite up to date on the rumblings, though I've glanced here and there. Without significantly more power, what the hell would Sony be able to do? Aren't they already rumored to launch last? I guess I did hear that Sony's looking more toward profits and efficiency, but they're not exactly going to be coming off the rousing successes of PS1 and 2. They need a reason for people to choose their console. If Xbox has the best graphics and Nintendo has the best innovations, what will Sony's angle be? They were in last place this gen.
Rumored to launch ahead of Microsoft. Their strategy seems to be the same as Nintendo. Affordable console with lots of 1st party support. Instead of aligning with Microsoft to box out Nintendo they could go for more profits and maybe box out Microsoft if ps4 and wiiU are successful.

nordique

For what you might see more often when comparing the next consoles, you guys should looks at the videos made my this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvGOtozbUs

This is around what I'm expecting at the end of the day, given the modern architecture than will be in the Wii U

It will lack the raw grunt relative to the next Xbox sure but it will still be capable of even more modern effects than the 360/PS3

I think the "HD" era along with shaders has also brought some visual parity to graphics in general. This will go a long way with making games "appear similar"

Its pretty crazy how much CoD on the Wii vs the 360/PS3 looked alike, although the hardware different was obvious, the general game was still there. And it still functioned as well. Considering how much closer the Wii U will be with the other next gen consoles, it is quite understandable and reasonable to expect the difference you posted in that video.

The lenses of the 3DS cameras and smart phones are pretty tiny, and its only function would be to detect the sensor bar on occasion. Older style wii remotes have to see the sensor bar at all times while I think the Motion Plus relies on gyroscopes and math to do it until it unsyncs. Anyway, just my theory, I could very well be wrong. But if I am wrong, then there's no way I can really think of for the tablet to understand exactly where the TV is. Unless they've gotten rid of that functionality - then I dunno what the black square would be for. TV remote?
Wii Motion + doesn't remove the usefulness of the standard Wii Remote optical sensor. The optical sensor allows a game to know roughly where at the screen the remote is pointing. Motion Plus is just a gyroscope, it can only detect orientation and rotational motion. So a light-gun style game would work better with the optical sensor. Also don't forget that the Wii-U is supposed to be backwards compatible with Wii games.

Dalthien

I'm not quite up to date on the rumblings, though I've glanced here and there. Without significantly more power, what the hell would Sony be able to do? Aren't they already rumored to launch last? I guess I did hear that Sony's looking more toward profits and efficiency, but they're not going to be coming off the rousing successes of PS1 and 2. They've lost major momentum and need a reason for people to choose their console. If Xbox has the best graphics and Nintendo has the best innovations, what will Sony's angle be? They were in last place this gen.

Except that Sony's rousing successes were both inferior systems graphically. The PS1 smashed the N64, despite being less powerful. The PS2 smashed the XBox despite being less powerful.

Since then, Sony has gone on this crusade to be the most powerful system, only to lose every time. The PSP lost badly to the vastly underpowered DS. The PS3 sold less than the Gamecube-level Wii, and the Vita is currently getting curbstomped by the less powerful 3DS.

That's not to say that Sony won't go all-out on being the most powerful yet again with the PS4, because that is definitely the path they've chosen for their last 3 systems. But from a business perspective, that path has been FAR LESS prosperous than their previous path.

Glass Joe

Wii Motion + doesn't remove the usefulness of the standard Wii Remote optical sensor. The optical sensor allows a game to know roughly where at the screen the remote is pointing. Motion Plus is just a gyroscope, it can only detect orientation and rotational motion. So a light-gun style game would work better with the optical sensor. Also don't forget that the Wii-U is supposed to be backwards compatible with Wii games.

But there's clearly no large black square at the top of the tablet unit. That little square is all we've got, unless it gets bigger next E3.

Unless, of course, the tablet is just not compatible with Wii games. Maybe only wii remotes are expected to be used in that scenario. Just seems that pointing the U at the screen would be a useful function in some games / menus though, even if a little more cumbersome than a wii remote.

Except that Sony's rousing successes were both inferior systems graphically. The PS1 smashed the N64, despite being less powerful. The PS2 smashed the XBox despite being less powerful.

Since then, Sony has gone on this crusade to be the most powerful system, only to lose every time. The PSP lost badly to the vastly underpowered DS. The PS3 sold less than the Gamecube-level Wii, and the Vita is currently getting curbstomped by the less powerful 3DS.

That's not to say that Sony won't go all-out on being the most powerful yet again with the PS4, because that is definitely the path they've chosen for their last 3 systems. But from a business perspective, that path has been FAR LESS prosperous than their previous path.

Yeah, I'm just saying Sony needs a card up their sleeves, most obvious would be graphics capabilities. They just don't have the momentum anymore to say "here it is" like the PS2. If the new Xbox is the graphical beast and the Wii U has these cool innovations, and the PS4 is just "I'm here too," it's not gonna work this time. I guess they could hope to be a little better visually than Wii U and more affordable than Xbox, but it's too far away to speculate probably. We're not even sure what the Wii U can really do and that thing is coming this X-mas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom