• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to stay away from that thread.

We're passionate but reasoned. I think, so long as you're completely reasoned, you can't leap over the deep end.

I'm probably one of the more... lively debaters around this thread, and I haven't been banned yet, so I think we're all pretty safe for now.
I already censor myself plenty around here, but now that we're getting so close, I'm going to have to take it extra careful.
If I were honest, I have this fear that certain honesty - even if non-inflammatory - would bring me trouble.
accuform_traffic_procaution.jpg

I just hope that bg (or anyone else from here) doesn't get too passionate. Sometimes this kind of arguing is a fool's errand, and I don't want to lose any more Ninthings 'round here. We need all hands on deck for E3.

As Terrell said we're being reasonable. I get a kick out of discussions like that personally so you don't have to worry about me getting riled up and eventually banned. If he can't see how illogical his argument is, yet continues the discussion then that's on him.

Terrell

So, what's supposed to be the debate in that thread? Wii U will support External HDDs, what's the format issue here?

He keeps adjusting the point of his argument, it's tough to keep your bearings. Lemme boil it down...

His argument is that an internal drive is more user-friendly and cheaper.

MS and Sony prove that to be factually incorrect in having more expensive proprietary internal drives (MS), and requiring tools and extra hardware to swap drives (Sony).

Then drive format came into play, as external drives come in various formats, and how Nintendo will address this issue.

Vane confused the PS3's lack of ability to reformat an installed hard drive as an indication that WiiU will also be unable to do so for external drives and began asking for evidence to corroborate this. It's at this point that he becomes mistaken that a device can't recognize a drive if it's formatted differently. (I think)

He then begins making inflammatory statements at other posters, and refuses to sit still and digest information before regurgitating his (now muddled) original point that internal drives are more user-friendly because of all these formatting hurdles that would need to be dealt with, assuming WiiU would be incapable of formatting a drive and unable to recognize one that is NTFS formatted.

...... at least, that's how it looks right now. It's a god-damned mess no matter how you look at it, though. Sound about right, bg?

sfried

Board related question: Why does Wii U news from developers end up on its own separate thread instead of this thread? Why do we have to debate in a thread where a majority of the people are just likely to say "Nintendo going cheap again, not gonna be buying it!" and/or "Hope they go 3rd party (insinuating)". Wouldn't this be the best thread to do "statement assesment"?

Board related question: Why does Wii U news from developers end up on its own separate thread instead of this thread? Why do we have to debate in a thread where a majority of the people are just likely to say "Nintendo going cheap again, not gonna be buying it!" and/or "Hope they go 3rd party (insinuating)". Wouldn't this be the best thread to do "statement assesment"?
Because people are afraid of getting a reasonable argument from this thread.

HylianTom

Banned
I've noticed that we fall into a pattern where those who most closely pay attention to Nintendo news will bring a new news topic or statement up in this thread, and then debate will occur over whether or not to post it as its own separate topic.

Inevitably, someone volunteers to post the new topic, and the deed is done. Sometimes, if the topic is high-profile enough, we'll get a wave of trolls that then decide to come in here and have some fun. Things go to shit for a while, the thread becomes not-very-fun-to-inhabit, and then things die-down to their pre-news state.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Or alternatively, because we don't want megathreads, and this is not to be one. New news that warrants a new thread should always get one.

HylianTom

Banned
The (more) serious discussion will always find its way back here.
Indeed, even if it's several days or weeks later. We tend to cover all topics from every angle possible over time. I can't remember the last time I was so well-informed about every argument, every pro-and-con on every issue regarding a hardware launch.

When E3 comes, there are going to be a gazillion different voices on a gazillion different topics saying things like, "Hey! I mentioned this possibility in the Speculation Thread!" It'll be yet another humorous thing to witness here at E3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This will also mean the new news thread gets a lot of the same goddamn trolling statements.

Then they'll be banned and/or reasonable debate and discussion will follow. You guys need to understand that an "us vs them" attitude is as equally intolerable as the trolling. And, fact of the matter is, sometimes some people here can be incredibly aggressive and rude towards anybody saying anything negative about the Wii U. The treatment of Arkam is a perfect example of this.

Fact of the matter is, regardless of the good this thread does do (and I acknowledge that, or I wouldn't read it myself), it is not a place everybody wants to visit. And it most definitely does not represent the majority share of people on GAF who are interested in the Wii U. The reality is this thread is more of a niche community than anything else.

New news goes in new threads, so people who do not visit this thread, who are interested in said news, get to see it too.

Roo

God!
I love that Rayman Legends trailer.
It's like the gazillion time I watch it since it was leaked
everything about it is just gorgeous.
Can't believe a development internal trailer sold me the system
and what's worse... a third party game... a UBISOFT game!!!!!! lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, if there's one thing that Nintendo really needs to set straight with people is that the Wii U is NOT just a new version of the Wii.

I just read a french canadian article on Nintendo's fiscal result in which they mention the Wii U, but not as "the successor to the Wii" but as "the new version of the Wii".

They really need to get rid of that mindset some lesser informed people have on the console.

HylianTom

Banned
I keep looking at this wondering, what game ad will appear on the top front of the building, where Battlefield 3 was last year.
Once! - just once, I'd love for that adspace to be occupied by Nintendo stuff. And this would be a good year for that kind of thing. Has it ever happened? Always seems like there's something western and/or shooty there.

You know, if there's one thing that Nintendo really needs to set straight with people is that the Wii U is NOT just a new version of the Wii.

I just read a french canadian article on Nintendo's fiscal result in which they mention the Wii U, but not as "the successor to the Wii" but as "the new version of the Wii".

They really need to get rid of that mindset some lesser informed people have on the console.
That's gonna come with a huge marketing campaign. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have cooked-up this time around; topping the "Wii Would Like to Play" Guys and their iconic little smartcar is going to be a tall order.

So you'd rather have us ghettoize ourselves?
Must.. resist.. gaming.. ghetto.. joke..

God!
I love that Rayman Legends trailer.
It's like the gazillion time I watch it since it was leaked
everything about it is just gorgeous.
Can't believe a development internal trailer sold me the system
and what's worse... a third party game... a UBISOFT game!!!!!! lol

I have to admit that I've watched it way more than I thought I would. But I think the BTTF music has something to do with that too.

We're making progress. Eight or nine months ago that would have said the controller is a Wii add-on.

BD1

Banned

I think they want it to be known as the new Wii. I know there is a line of thinking that the Wii name has been so irreversibly damaged to "core" gamers that they shouldn't use it. But as it relates to that demographics, if the online, OS and software all delivers, they will buy the system.

The real golden goose is the families, soccer moms and casuals. If they think Wii U is the shiny brand new next version Wii, that is a good thing for Nintendo.

I think it actually might be easier to just tell people why they need a new version rather than convince them something is more than a new version.

People are fine upgrading things like iPads because Apple gives them reasons their iPad 1/2 is out of date. Shouldn't be hard to do that with the Wii.

I think it actually might be easier to just tell people why they need a new version rather than convince them something is more than a new version.

People are fine upgrading things like iPads because Apple gives them reasons their iPad 1/2 is out of date. Shouldn't be hard to do that with the Wii.
to be fair, apple is one some next level shit when it comes to marketing.

Terrell

That's exactly it right there. Give people a reason to upgrade and they will. Hence why Iwata harped on the social gaming experience. I think that we might see things like Nintendo Network timeline apps in Facebook, so we can auto-obtain Friend Codes from our Facebook friends and really make gaming an open part of the "social graph" in ways Sony and Microsoft haven't yet. Tons of people, casual and enthusiast gamer alike, would eat that shit up. I know I would.

BD1

Banned
The 3DS would beg to differ.

I don't buy this argument at all.

There has been one Wii. The DS had multiple revisions over its life (DS Phat, the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL), and the 3DS launched with the worst retail marketing campaign I've ever seen.

If Nintendo can get the marketing right, there should be no confusion. It will look different and play different.

Glass Joe

I appreciate when noteworthy news gets it's own thread. One, because with a megathread like this, it's easy to miss info. Two, because different perspectives from non-Nintendo fans can (sometimes) be enlightening. On the other hand, heh...

He keeps adjusting the point of his argument, it's tough to keep your bearings. Lemme boil it down...

Dude's just really stubborn, it sucks arguing with people like that. He doesn't seem to care to listen to others' opinions, he just keeps disregarding them and regurgitating his same thoughts with blinders on.

EatChildren

I think this will come naturally if Nintendo really does offer a different experience, visually, mechanically, and in terms of system features.

A large portion of the E3 2011 confusion came not just from Nintendo's muddled presentation, but the lack of substance. Their show reel was stock footage of games found on other systems, the tech demos (Zelda aside) all looked like Wii games, and they didn't have any info on the OS, online service, etc. If you were 'in the know' it was easy to tell Nintendo had a new console, but if not it could have been (and was) easily mistaken for a new controller.

I like to think of the E3 2011 launch as never having happened. E3 2012 is where it's at. If they can deliver a lot of games you cant find elsewhere, cool online service ideas that move far away from the Wii, and really show off the graphical power of the system, I think the general public will do alright differentiating it from the Wii.

EDIT: 3DS was a disaster on ever front. Awful marketing, worsened by Nintendo insistence to continue marketing the standard DS alongside the 3DS. History of revision. Dreadful launch line-up. Plus the rapidly changing portable market. The amount of clueless parents I sold on the 3DS over the DS during the Christmas period, simply by explaining the differences, was amazing. Nintendo owes me big time.

BurntPork

Banned

It looking better on an HDTV should be reason enough.

Speaking of which, I hope Wii U's resolution scaler is as good as or better than the 360's. Does the fact that both use AMD GPUs mean that they might be similar in that regard?

Margalis

Banned
Disappointed to hear the HDD news.

I'd much rather have a custom drive that costs 3x as much as a normal one, comes in a small range of fixed sizes, and is a pain to replace.

Kind of similar to using an SD card on the Wii and 3DS. Every time I do that I think to myself it's really too bad that I can use a cheap SD card I bought for my digital camera to store my virtual console games as well, vs the PSP stick that works for no other devices, was a pain in the ass to find and was much more expensive.

Logic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom