• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What is this about speeches? Speeches of E3, yeah, but about what? You guys know things we don't and you're gonna drop some hints?

I'm gonna hold you guys to this!

Glass Joe

I am still of the position that if Nintendo wanted haptics, rather than a conventional haptic screen, they would instead present some sort of novel solution that uses the stylus. For two reasons:

a) It would be a bit odd to have a conventional haptic screen when a stylus set-up is the preferred method of gaming.

b) Nintendo actually patented a sort of 'rumble stylus' tech about two years ago:

If any sort of haptic-esque tech is on the Wii U controller, I would bet that it is this sort of thing.

It's possible it could be for stylus but I struggle to see that option being particularly useful. Touching by finger to get feedback seems a lot more desirable -- petting a Nintendog with virtual fur would certainly have a "wow" factor. There's no solid reason to expect this feature though. Although the tech exists, I dunno how cost effective it is or how reliable.

GameplayWhore said:
It won't for player 1.

Or will it? Dun dun DUNNNNNNN!!!!

If you look at the New Super Mario Bros. Wii teaser, the kid is actually playing on the TV with a Wii remote when the dad comes in wanting to watch baseball, so he then switches to the tablet. Don't know why the kid wasn't using the tablet in the first place, I guess the video wanted to illustrate it's point. So player 1 using Wiimote, classic controller, etc, is entirely possible.

On the subject of clickable sticks -- I'm not sure I care either way. If the failure rate is potentially high, I wouldn't want to be replacing a $100+ tablet just because Mario Party 10 had some reckless pad ruining mini-game.

On the subject of analog triggers -- I asked earlier, assuming I'd get confirmation they're there, but I guess the 2011 tablet must not have had them. Anyway I'm pretty confident the final build will (for hopefully one set and not the other). My dreams of HD F-Zero GX would be shattered without them :/ But key GC games such as Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine also used that feature, so you can hopefully count on it.

If not, classic controller has 'em, but it'd be stupid to not be able to play GC games with the tablet. Of course, I'm assuming a Gamecube Virtual Console store will exist (because why not?)

That sounds very familiar so I'm going to say you're correct.

A very wise approach for you to take sir. You will find it very helpful in most situations.

Seriously though, I am pretty sure that that was his username because he got on my nerves under his 'I like feet' persona and then when I first saw a new, irritating poster with the username 'From the dust' my immediate reaction was 'so which perma-banned Gafer are you then?!'.

When it came out that they were the same person I was not surprised :).

Conor 419

Banned
Nah chums, my speech will generally be about getting people excited, reminding people to check their sources and not spread misinformation, speculation of what we'll see and why E3 2k12's going to be fuckan awe-sam.

I mean, there'll be other stuff too but spoilers.

Kjellson

How long time do y'all think it will take to download a game? I got the Sly games on PS Store and it took fucking ages to get them. I hope it won't take that long.

Shurayuki

I heard Lollipop. don't make post my lollipop gifs again!

taeyeon2h8uth.gif

it's not even a lollipop, lol

It's a box.

I wonder how the final design will look like though.

I really hope there's another one of these interviews. Reggie was good at avoiding pretty much most of everything(like he's paid to do), but Jeff was consistent with the difficult questions. My respect for both went up after that. I'm sure Reggie will have more to talk about this year, though.

"Surprise" GI cover reveal coming this Thursday.

I don't think this will actually be a Wii U game, to be clear. But if it isn't, it'll further lessen the chance of getting much in the way of Wii U software news before E3, as there's very little likelihood of a lower-readership Western outlet getting an exclusive and (AFAIK) no recent history of Nintendo reveals of that nature in Japanese publications, aside from the Pokemon reveals in Coro Coro.

EDIT... though I guess there could be a Wii U exclusive on their next cover, which would be revealed a few days before E3.

test_account

XP-39C²
I really hope there's another one of these interviews. Reggie was good at avoiding pretty much most of everything(like he's paid to do), but Jeff was consistent with the difficult questions. My respect for both went up after that. I'm sure Reggie will have more to talk about this year, though.
Yep, i love the Geoff and Reggie interviews =) I'm sure there will be one at this year's E3 as well.

Boss Man

Has anyone made a photoshop of four Gamecubes taped together with an ipad off to the side yet?

Is Dragon Quest X Online an MMO?

I don't think this will actually be a Wii U game, to be clear. But if it isn't, it'll further lessen the chance of getting much in the way of Wii U software news before E3, as there's very little likelihood of a lower-readership Western outlet getting an exclusive and (AFAIK) no recent history of Nintendo reveals of that nature in Japanese publications, aside from the Pokemon reveals in Coro Coro.
Probably God of War or Sony Smash.

Shurayuki

They already have a division dedicated to that... the Nintendo Ninjas

Gotta diversify, additional income streams and all!

Then they can afford to put that Avatar machine in your home!

Did anybody ever follow up Shiggy's hinting that there are (yet unnoticed) infos on an announced Wii U title on Google images or smth?

BurntPork

Banned
I will record myself eating a hat if the GI reveal is about a Wii U game. (It must be stated to be a Wii U game on the cover, so CoD won't count.)

AzaK

Clicky sticks can go to hell for all I care. I've ruined 4 360 pads with them. The sticks just lose all precision and become flimsy like all hell. Same goes for the DS3.
Agreed, they suck.

Supposedly they were changed to analog sometime last year, so we'll see.
Really? Cool.

Which reminds me, does anybody here remember that British sci-fi show from the late 70s - Blake's 7? The protagonists' ship computer there used to get online with an uncorking sound (they also had a real acorn on one of the episodes, but that's a different topic). Delicious.

Still, to this day, I want to kick Avon in the balls.

Also, wasn't there a magazine coming out soon that had a Miyamoto interview or something that we were excited about?

Luigison

EDIT... though I guess there could be a Wii U exclusive on their next cover, which would be revealed a few days before E3.
Did anyone ever figure out the NP tease?

onilink88

I gave up on trying to keep up with you people, so I just speed read from pages one hundred and forty-three onward. What I retained:

• Nintendo's using "Ni-Fi" for the controller
  • awesome controller functionality for Project CARS
  • video encoder and DSP might be what are getting in the way of streaming to two controllers

Have I missed/misread anything?

Glass Joe

Made an improvement on my 'classic controller':

Buttons are now offset from the analogs. Added grips on the back. Not completely done, so make suggestions.

I'm going to work on the actual tablet soon.

Honestly it looks a little too narrow for my tastes. I'm fine with the existing classic controller which will be compatible for Wii U. Just wish that one was about 6" wider too.

So basically it's a dualshock

I can put the analogs back on top if that will make you feel better...

Honestly it looks a little too narrow for my tastes. I'm fine with the existing classic controller which will be compatible for Wii U. Just wish that one was about 6" wider too.

That would be just about as big as the tablet! :O

Edit: Do you mean you wish it was thicker or wider?

Batman approved. You win this time, Joker

Thank you very much, Spiderman. :)

Glass Joe

That would be just about as big as the tablet! :O

Edit: Do you mean you wish it was thicker or wider?

A little bit of both, I guess. Classic controller feels flimsy to me, I had to match it up to my 360 pad (which feels great) to realize they are in fact a similar width. The 6" was overkill though, but a little wider would probably look more comfortable to me.

If NDAs were going to expire, it would have been in April.

At this point, I don't expect anything to be intentionally unveiled until E3.

HylianTom

Banned
A little bit of both, I guess. Classic controller feels flimsy to me, I had to match it up to my 360 pad (which feels great) to realize they are in fact a similar width. The 6" was overkill though, but a little wider would probably look more comfortable to me.
I've been trying to verballize why the controller doesn't quite feel right.. "Flimsy" is a good word for it. I have tried and tried to like it, but this is something that just can't be forced.

udivision

Made an improvement on my 'classic controller':

Buttons are now offset from the analogs. Added grips on the back. Not completely done, so make suggestions.

I'm going to work on the actual tablet soon.

You design doesn't take into account that the 'classic controller' doesn't have a screen...

EDIT: As in, it seems like you just diced up the uPad, but something that looks like the XBox controller, Dual Shock or CCPro would make more sense.

I've been trying to verballize why the controller doesn't quite feel right.. "Flimsy" is a good word for it. I have tried and tried to like it, but this is something that just can't be forced.

It's probably the weight, considering it doesn't have any guts.

guek

Banned
Ok so has any light been shed on that rumor that the CPU will have troubles processing physics and stuff compared to PS360?

Was that debunked orrrrrr....

Documents have been found pointing to unoptimized middleware being the culprit and that has since been resolved. It's the most likely explanation at hand at the moment.

Yeah, It's a good mock-up and all, but I really don't see why it wouldn't just be a wireless CCPro with analog triggers or something similar. Rectangles aren't very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom