• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majora's Mask was colourful as fuck, but it had the 'darkest' atmosphere in the series. People need to learn that there's a difference between tragic/emotional/symbolic dark and literal/gritty/grim dark.

Zelda needs more of the former, and it could even manage that with Wind Waker's aesthetic, in fact. It'd be more impressive if they managed it with Wind Waker's aesthetic.

Link as a rugged old veteran in a Skyrim like world ? ;).

If it looks anything like the Zelda Wii U HD demo then i will be more than happy, i like the adult Link / Ocarina of Time / Twilight Princess version best.

Thraktor

Please, I don't want to be offensive, this is a civil discussion, but...do you realize how this sounds?

They scrapped the old design where your thumb would naturally move in an arc, to redesign the controller to not move your thumbs into a new position at all, but to slide your entire hands up and down the controller every time you transition from the analogs to the buttons/d-pad and vice versa?

Have you used it? If not then we're just two people arguing on a motion we've never performed with a controller we've never held, and that's not going to get us anywhere. I've provided what I consider a rational set of reasons why Nintendo have designed the controller the way it is, and I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt until I've actually held it in my hands.

D_prOdigy

I am still of the position that if Nintendo wanted haptics, rather than a conventional haptic screen, they would instead present some sort of novel solution that uses the stylus. For two reasons:

a) It would be a bit odd to have a conventional haptic screen when a stylus set-up is the preferred method of gaming.

b) Nintendo actually patented a sort of 'rumble stylus' tech about two years ago:

A game apparatus includes an LCD, and a touch panel is placed on a top surface of the LCD. A player instructs an enemy character displayed on the LCD by use of a stick to attack the enemy character. For example, in a case that the enemy character exists at a depth of a game screen, little damage is applied to the enemy character, and a weak vibration is applied to the game apparatus. Conversely, in a case that the enemy character exists at a front of the game screen, much damage is applied to the character, and a strong vibration is applied to the game apparatus. In either case, the vibrations are transmitted to the fingers or hands of the payer via the stick.

If any sort of haptic-esque tech is on the Wii U controller, I would bet that it is this sort of thing.

Please, I don't want to be offensive, this is a civil discussion, but...do you realize how this sounds?

They scrapped the old design where your thumb would naturally move in an arc, to redesign the controller to not move your thumbs into a new position at all, but to slide your entire hands up and down the controller every time you transition from the analogs to the buttons/d-pad and vice versa?

I concur with this. The best controller designs are ones that involve minimal thought and activity to translate your intentions into action. The awkwardness of the Atari Jaguar controller, where you had to similarly slide your hand up and down to reach extra buttons, may have had a hand in how it fared in the market.

Granted, the Wii U controller also has this to some extent if we consider the concepts of "buttons on screen", but that's why I've been hesitant to suggest ideas like putting frequently-used functions on the pad (like a run button, as argued earlier) and instead focused more on ideas that (A) use it almost exclusively, and (B) use the other benefits provided by the screen.

I thought you originally meant the DS Lite could use the slider to enter sleep mode(but you just meant the DS Lite had a slider which you want for the 3DS).

Right. :)

On another topic, I really wonder if the WiiU will support a classic controller of sorts. Would be a nice option.

u-controller-redesign-mini.png

DeVeAn

I never like clicking sticks in anyway to be honest. The Rayman Legends trailer raised my interest as well as the DD for games.

Nibel

I never like clicking sticks in anyway to be honest. The Rayman Legends trailer raised my interest as well as the DD for games.

I just played the Dragons Dogma demo on the 360 and you have to click the LS to dash/sprint. Now try to dash through a small corridor while navigating around corners - yeah.

RS click with zoom function is a different story and works well, though.

Those buttons, lol

Switch it with the right analog stick like the glorious 360 controller

The placement of the main 4-buttons is all kinds of wrong :lol

Hmm, got any reasons why?

I note that having analog directionals* above buttons doesn't seem to bug people on the left side of the controller, so is there a particular reason why it does on the right side of the controller?

"lol" is a weakish reason. ;)

* edit: This is a different debate than having the analog directionals and buttons horizontally aligned, by the way. Just in case it causes confusion.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Its so uncomfortable, and gives me cramps after playing Sonic Generations for an hour.
This really shows there are many different opinions on what constitutes as a comfortable controller. I personally find the original Xbox controller (The Duke) awesome, I actually prefer that over the S controller when it comes to Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2, gives a heavier experience. And the Xbox 360 controller is kinda nice, at least the corded version, the wireless version loses connection too frequently.

The Classic Controller Pro for Wii ought to work fine with Wii U as well, but it would be nice with Gamecube controller support (including Wavebird) also. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will probably feature a heap of kinks that uses the controller screen, but a classic mode would be awesome, at least for online multiplayer.

Nibel

Hmm, got any reasons why?

I note that having analog directionals* above buttons doesn't seem to bug people on the left side of the controller, so is there a particular reason why it does on the right side of the controller?

"lol" is a weakish reason. ;)

* edit: Note that this is a different debate than having the analog directionals and buttons horizontally aligned

Imagine taking the controller and then think about where your thumbs would be at first - now imagine a casual gamer holding that controller.

Notice something?

The RS will always have a lower priority than the four main buttons. When people hold a controller, it's important to make sure that their thumbs are placed above the most frequent used buttons and sticks - the LS and the four main buttons, and not the LS and RS.

Imagine taking the controller and then think about where your thumbs would be at first - now imagine a casual gamer holding that controller.

Notice something?

The RS will always have a lower priority than the four main buttons. When people hold a controller, it's important to make sure that their thumbs are placed above the most frequent used buttons and sticks - the LS and the four main buttons, and not the LS and RS.

Doesn't that depend on the game? When I play most games in a 3D realm which involve rotation (such as first person shooters and adventure games), the analogs have highest priority. In fact, when you asked the question, thumbs on thumbsticks was the first thing to come to mind.

Right. :)

On another topic, I really wonder if the WiiU will support a classic controller of sorts. Would be a nice option.

Didn't they say at E3 2011 that every game would be available to play with standard controls ?.

If so they better invent something better than the 'classic controller' for the Wii, if they want to tempt the hardcore imo.

But the Wii U already supports a Classic Controller! ?_?

It won't for player 1.

Or will it? Dun dun DUNNNNNNN!!!!

If so they better invent something better than the 'classic controller' for the Wii, if they want to tempt the hardcore imo.

A truly wireless variant of the Classic Controller Pro (a switch over to GC buttons wouldn't be bad, now that I think about it) would be really nice.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dunno, I think that being able to tell where a "button" is on the touchscreen without looking is more than a gimmick(pity it won't happen though).
That is actually a good idea for haptic screen in general. But for WiiU specific, i dont think that it will be more than a gimmick, because i think that most of the time you're using the touch screen, you will be looking at it. When looking at the TV, you'll be using the physical buttons instead.

Yea it just seems like something people will just hawk over, and then over time it'll lose its worth/significance.
I think that the technology is very cool, but yeah, i dont think that it will mean much for the WiiU if there is haptic screen or not.

They say karma is a ditch.. Or was it a twitch?
Hehe :)

Exactly, it shows that everyone cant invent something brand new all the time, and that people can work on the same idea at the same time (but someone will be first to publish/release it) :)

Shurayuki

I wish they made a controller for people who are, like me, of a proper upbringing and hence know that you have to stick your finger out when holding something.

That is actually a good idea for haptic screen in general. But for WiiU specific, i dont think that it will be more than a gimmick, because i think that most of the time you're using the touch screen, you will be looking at it. When looking at the TV, you'll be using the physical buttons instead.

I disagree, but it's a moot point anyway, I don't expect haptic feedback at all let alone the "good" type.

Yeah someone could start a Majoras Mask Moon looming over the LA Convention Center picture :) Would still be quite a distance away but it would be coming closer day by day. And the Hype Train (I NEED TO GET ON THAT TRAIN!!!) should be orbiting the moon!

McNum

E3 GAF is just this special kind of insanity that makes it all the more fun to read. And participate in. It's almost more fun that watching E3 itself, if it wasn't for, you know, all the awesome game announcements. And the terrible ones, too. Especially the terrible ones.

Sadist

E3 GAF is just this special kind of insanity that makes it all the more fun to read. And participate in. It's almost more fun that watching E3 itself, if it wasn't for, you know, all the awesome game announcements. And the terrible ones, too. Especially the terrible ones.
I CANT BELIEVE THEY ANNOUNCED THAT GAME INSTEAD OF GAME X RRRRAAARRRGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom