• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about stuff like Madden? I'm not a developer, but displaying a crude map of the field and being able to set up plays on two DRCs would not take a big amount of resources.

This. I can see why rendering one HD 3D scene and two 480p views of the same scene would be impractical, but why not two mostly-2D HUD/menu/map screens? Or one 480p 3D scene and one 480p 2D screen?

Haha.. no vacation this year. Nearly all of my PTO at work is gaming-related:
- E3 (2 days)
- Symphony of the Goddesses (3 days)
- Pre-order Day (2 days)
- Launch Week (5 days)

I have this thread with me at all times via iPad (and I'm loving the MobileGAF app!)
Only 12 days off? I couldn't survive on that. 26 days here, rising to 31 in January, woop woop.

I'm never away from GAF now. I wake up sometimes, pick up the pad from the nightstand, hit 'refresh,' and go back to sleep right away. It's magical.. :D

No joke, I used to post a lot using my Wii browser and a keyboard back in early 2008 when I was still a junior and had no laptop. Then I got my laptop in 2009, even then I read more than posted. Now I post almost exclusively from my IPhone and Mobile NeoGaf. Before I got sucked into the speculation threads back in March, my post count was apprx 1,400, now it's close to 1,800. That's apprx 400 posts in just a few months which is crazy in my case, what have you people done to me?! o_O :p

StevieP

Banned
Enough of this spec-ulation.

Let's speculate about Zelda or something

;)

Perhaps we should rename this the Nintendo Community Thread instead? :p
Retro is not doing Zelda. Wait 3 years. lol

Here's something that's extremely unlikely to yield any info, but might as well throw it up here given the Fab 8 discussion:

GlobalFoundries profiled by ABC News

Did anyone watch this tour of Fab 8? I ask because there may be insight as to which chip is being produced there now, straight from the horse's mouth. Whichever horse that happens to be. Even something as simple as an employee saying "we're doing something for Microsoft" or "Nintendo now".

No. I've already been at Treyarch and had a look at the game. No Wii U announcement until later on.

...Do go on :)

I wonder if 3rd party games will stay at 50$ for WiiU or take that 60$ jump, havent even thought of pricing for Wii U games. If that stay at 50$ I can see WiiU having an advantage with the same games but 10$ less that 360 and PS3.

They'll be $60. Likely that Nintendo's prices will go up to that as well.

I find it a sad outlook on this industry when publishers completely fail to deliver variety and quality across the board, and the only prospect of breaking this trend is to fund games directly through fans.

I'd say the biggest threat to this industry are monopolistic publishers. I hope that stuff like Kickstarter can establish a viable funding model for mid tier games, but I'm not hopefull.

Those publishers are not the only party to blame. Skyrocketing costs are directly the result of hardware explosions, and being risk-averse in choosing what is developed protects the publishers from THQ-ing/Sega-ing/etc.

This. I can see why rendering one HD 3D scene and two 480p views of the same scene would be impractical, but why not two mostly-2D HUD/menu/map screens? Or one 480p 3D scene and one 480p 2D screen?

How much bandwidth does Ni-Fi have?

HylianTom

Banned
Only 12 days off? I couldn't survive on that. 26 days here, rising to 31 in January, woop woop.
I get about a month off since I've been with this hospital network for years, but Iike to cash-out a portion of my time. I also take some individual sanity days off, usually in the Fall and Winter around football season or long gaming weekends. :)

I'm never away from GAF now. I wake up sometimes, pick up the pad from the nightstand, hit 'refresh,' and go back to sleep right away. It's magical.. :D

Having a touch-screen, portable computing device that can browse GAF is a large reason why I've been going to bed shockingly late every day. GAF is ruining me. D:

news is bound to slow down
good thing these threads don't run on news

Fortunately, we're not the "Wii U News Thread". ;)

How likely do you think that they'll make a Wii-U controller without a screen at/near launch?

While I can think of things you can do with two screens, I find it more important to have a good standardized controller.
There's only so much you can do with a Wiimote compared to the U-Pad. Not that it would limit most games but rather build up an image of its own than run off 'old' controllers.

This should be technically possible given what we know. It's just that each additional 3D screen takes up that much in the way of render resources that developers would probably want to focus entirely on the TV screen. What would you rather have? Multiple screens with decent rendering, or one screen where you can see perfectly-detailed pores and sweat?

Your strange and easygoing ways confuse us Americans (I get about the same, but it won't be going further up like yours).

How likely do you think that they'll make a Wii-U controller without a screen at/near launch?

While I can think of things you can do with two screens, I find it more important to have a good standardized controller.
There's only so much you can do with a Wiimote compared to the U-Pad. Not that it would limit most games but rather build up an image of its own than run off 'old' controllers.

I agree that they should. But as the case is currently, the Classic Controller Pro is basically a DRC without the screen
and with arguably superior layout and arguably better tactile inputs

It would be nice to have a classic controller that you don't need to tether to anything. I'd consider it a little dumb to not have that option for the gamers who think that a Wii Remote would give them cooties (or who just want a little less complexity with that sort of controller).

TunaLover

e3.png

>_____>

If you really have to know, we broke in while you were sleeping, gave you some drugs to keep you asleep and took you away to a secret medical center, where we implanted a chip in your head to make you addicted to GAF and make you post more. It wasn't easy, but it had to be done.

tumblr_ltn0gsRVC91qafql9.jpg

BlackJace

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo adopted Sony's pattern of leaking a few games before their E3 showing.

Sure, this year is huge, and keeping things quiet is a part of their gameplan, but I wish the Ninjas would take some time off ya know?

Gravijah

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo adopted Sony's pattern of leaking a few games before their E3 showing.

Sure, this year is huge, and keeping things quiet is a part of their gameplan, but I wish the Ninjas would take some time off ya know?

what's the difference between something getting announced at e3 or a few days/weeks before?

http://wiiugo.com/nicalis-talks-about-comments-regarding-wii-u-power/

Is this new?

edit: stolen from Españtendo.

" Sadly, the original quote was taken a bit out of context. Here’s exactly what I meant: for what we need, and maybe for other developers, the Wii U’s [capabilities] are more than sufficient for five to ten years. We’re not making AAA games or using a crazy insane 3D engine, but the Wii U can definitely do both. With that said, for what we are doing, we could work on the Wii U easily for another five years without making it break a sweat. We don’t do massive productions."

edit: It's in reference to something they said earlier about it being "Nintendo's most powerful console", and that part at least was previously posted in this thread.

MDX

Maybe they will, but unlikely WiiU related.
Probably Wii and 3DS.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
True. I still to this day remember the wait for the Wind Waker. That was such incredibly sheer agony.

Given the "Nintendo time dilation" effect you're responding to, I'm impressed your memory, as it was released 33260 N-years ago. ;)

Rösti;37474098 said:
This has been discussed several times already, so it's not new. Well, the original Hispanic source hasn't been linked to however I think.

I meant that I stole the link from Vandal, our Spanish brethren. :)

But the article's posting date was today, so I was confused.

edit:

Wait, the original source of the clarification is from this destructoid article, dated yesterday. Are you sure we already heard about this??

edit:

Ah, yes, it was covered in #16821. Whoops, my bad after all!

It's pretty clear that there is a Wii U version of the game

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...g-transformed-preview-and-interview-sega-kart

They can't announce anything if Nintendo wants everything locked down until E3.

Fantastic news, now that we unofficially know that Nintendo are stopping game announcements I'd say that it's a safe bet that we'll have a Resident Evil 6 announcement at this years E3. I really hope they're going to include the Genesis Scanner from Revelations, the DRC is made for it. :eek:D

It wouldn't surprise me if we also hear something about a Monster Hunter on the way too. If that is the case then that, along with Dragon Quest X is going to guarantee the U's success in Japan. They won't be able to make the consoles fast enough lol :Oo

Fantastical

Death Prophet

It isn't as nearly as special when it is announced before E3. The press conferences are just shows where you get to see all the latest and greatest from the big three. I really want to be surprised, and if a major game is leaked before the conference I'll honestly be disappointed.

Imagine if Kid Icarus was leaked before E3 2010. I was so surprised when I saw Palutena appear on my TV. Honestly, I think the press conferences are less about video games and more about surprises for me. After the conferences, that's when it really is about games, but the conferences are basically just entertainment for me and I love being surprised or seeing something that looks really cool for the first time.

Oh god it's May.

Majoras+Mask.jpg

He's coming.

Fantastic news, now that we unofficially know that Nintendo are stopping game announcements I'd say that it's a safe bet that we'll have a Resident Evil 6 announcement at this years E3. I really hope they're going to include the Genesis Scanner from Revelations, the DRC is made for it. :eek:D

It wouldn't surprise me if we also hear something about a Monster Hunter on the way too. If that is the case then that, along with Dragon Quest X is going to guarantee the U's success in Japan. They won't be able to make the consoles fast enough lol :Oo

Absolutely nothing is a safe bet. Wait til E3. Until then, just relax.

M74

Wait, why did people take Nicalis' comments to be negative? In what mindset are the words "Nintendo's most powerful console" and "last five to ten years" negative? They sound supportive.

Wait, why did people take Nicalis' comments to be negative? In what mindset are the words "Nintendo's most powerful console" and "last five to ten years" negative? They sound supportive.

I think they just looked at the first part and decided for themselves what "Nintendo's most powerful console" should mean. After all, that covers a tremendous range from "one infinitesimahertz faster than Wii" to "∞ InstaFLOPS".

Snakeyes

I really don't want it to look anything like the Wii. I think part of the 3DS's early problems were that it looked to much like a DS. I think the Wii U should look very different from the Wii, with perhaps the blue light around the disc slot remaining as an "iconic" feature.

I'm gonna disagree on this one. The 3DS' problems were that Nintendo went HAM on the DS incremental updates which created an impression of it being one as well, the FUD that was going around regarding eyesight and stereoscopic 3D and the $250 price tag.

The Wii is easily one of the best console designs of all time and I'd be disappointed if Nintendo tried to move away from it. Just make it a bit sleeker, replace most buttons with capacitive ones, add a multi-colored disc drive LED and call it a day.

HylianTom

Banned
It isn't as nearly as special when it is announced before E3. The press conferences are just shows where you get to see all the latest and greatest from the big three. I really want to be surprised, and if a major game is leaked before the conference I'll honestly be disappointed.

Imagine if Kid Icarus was leaked before E3 2010. I was so surprised when I saw Palutena appear on my TV. Honestly, I think the press conferences are less about video games and more about surprises for me. After the conferences, that's when it really is about games, but the conferences are basically just entertainment for me and I love being surprised or seeing something that looks really cool for the first time.
Bingo!

This is the adult version of Christmas Morning - when you still believed in Santa Claus. Such a sense of wonder! Anything can happen! Any item could be under that tree in the morning!

Contrast to when you learn about Santa. The mysticism is gone. You start looking for your presents, and you sometimes find them, which means that you aren't surprised on Christmas Morning. That's what going into these conferences with the surprises already leaked is like. The thrill of surprise.. is gone.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo does the exact opposite of that. They sit on at least one announcement until their roundtable session the next night.
It'a kinda brilliant. If you have any doubt that they're killing/winning/taking the show, the roundtable surprise comes along on that following night and reinforces the notion that, yes, Nintendo has come loaded for bear - for E3 Bear.

Terrell

So, pyro decided not to take the bet. Pity, I would have reveled in winning it.

Not really no. Metroid had a misstep with outsourced development and a co creator of the franchise going all closet perv on the main character. As long as neither Sakamoto nor Team Ninja are involved with story-characters and design, a next Metroid game could only get better. Metroids Gameplay and Design still has a lot of room for growth.

With Starfox, there is really nothing much left to do with the franchise other than rehash Star Fox 64 with new graphics, or pretty much change the franchise to a point where they simply could introduce a new IP. The IP is stagnant, and it's pretty obvious given that a port of the N64 game is the only other good StarFox release since then.

Uhhhh... that's what's been wrong with Star Fox since 64. I think Nintendo just really wasn't sure what to do with it after they gave the IP to Rare and hoped someone else could fix it. Worked for F-Zero, after all, right? People still clamor for that game.

When Iwata says that there is no inventory risk with DD-codes in stores, how does he mean? I know that these DD-code (most likely) takes up less space, but how about unsold codes? What if "everyone" buys physical copies of the games instead, then your stuck with unsold DD-codes that you have money tied up to. I dont think that there is a buy-back program, at least in Japan, for unsold games (hence why some games get big price drops fast to clear inventory from the store).

Cards =/= game discs or carts. I think Nintendo would change its tune about returned sheets of plastic in the interest of getting more product in a retailer's hands. Also, they'd probably work like gift cards, as mentioned earlier, meaning that there's practically zero risk if the card isn't actually sold.

HylianTom

Banned
Continuing my thoughts..

Sony is like that "cool" parent - the one that tries to be your buddy instead of your Dad. They let you in on The Big Santa Secret, and you feel like you're being respected - like you're being treated like an adult! Pretty cool that you know sooner, eh?

But the magic is gone as a result, and even though you're glad to know what they've shared with you, they've done you a disservice. You just don't realize it until much later, when you're older and you notice that that old magical feeling is gone.

pramath

Banned
So I was watching the E3 2011 unveil of the Wii U last night...
Man, Nintendo really dropped the ball there. It felt throughout like the console was entirely a work in progress, and not ready for a public unveiling, but pressure (from investors? Slowing Wii sales? Poor 3DS launch? The growing leaks?) forced their hand.

I really hope this year's Wii U reveal is as exciting as the 2010 3DS reveal was.

M74

Man, Nintendo really dropped the ball there.

Frankly, they focused on the controller so much that it came across like an isolated product. When you reveal a console, you should reveal the whole console. That's how you communicate that what you're offering is a much more significant product than just a peripheral. They sent the wrong signals to the media, and they confused people.

What about stuff like Madden? I'm not a developer, but displaying a crude map of the field and being able to set up plays on two DRCs would not take a big amount of resources.
I didn't say as a developer I agreed with it, but we understand exactly why Nintendo did it. We aren't befuddled by some odd move we don't understand, it's a sound design decision, if one I'd rather they didn't do :)

And it doesn't matter how crappy that field looks in the football game, it'll use the exact same bandwidth as if it were a scene from Crysis. Not the same GPU power, of course, but you know what, many developers would still cut down graphic quality so they could put full 3D graphics on all screens if given the choice, which would make the Wii-U look less powerful to consumers. Just look at the Nintendo DS, it was designed for 3D on one screen, 2D on the other. You can use 3D on both, but doing so cuts the framerate in half and uses a ton more memory. Yet many developers did so, ending up with a worse looking game, often with no gameplay advantage.

This. As an example, would it hurt anything to show SOMETHING from Pikmin 3? It's been almost four full years since it was announced, it's rediculous we haven't at least seen some concept art for it.

They're at least getting old and a little slower if the Rayman Legends link is anything to go by. :p

master+ninja.jpg

This. As an example, would it hurt anything to show SOMETHING from Pikmin 3? It's been almost four full years since it was announced, it's rediculous we haven't at least seen some concept art for it.
They don't want to reveal the fact that the game is 100% laser-holograms using that black square on the back of the controller yet...

pramath

Banned
Frankly, they focused on the controller so much that it came across like an isolated product. When you reveal a console, you should reveal the whole console. That's how you communicate that what you're offering is a much more significant product than just a peripheral. They sent the wrong signals to the media, and they confused people.

That, but what I found worse was that the Wii U was announced with no games. The entire conference was a farce, they were buying time.
For instance, they promise a new Super Smash Bros... that wouldn't even start development for another year, and they had nothing to show for it.
They show off a 'reel' of experiences and games, like the Mii tech demos, NSMB Mii, and Zelda, and then they make it clear that these are not games.
They call the CEO of EA on stage, who does... what? Nothing, he just gives vague statements of how EA games on a Nintendo console with great power and an online network COULD be, but commits to nothing.
It was almost worse than the Vita's TGS.

Hiltz

I agree that it is far more exciting to first hear of new game announcements at E3 rather than announce them weeks to a month before. Sony and Microsoft's conferences have generally been less exciting specifically because we've known what games were already going to be shown. Half of what makes E3 interesting is the element of surprise.

Glass Joe

We've been going over some ideas regarding asymetrical multiplayer, and alot of them are really neat. That's not going to count for jack shit, though, in the mass market. Perhaps that is going a bit far, but it's going to be an extremely tough sell on consumers. Nintendo have a hard enough time communicating how 3DS is a true successor. They will certainly have an uphill battle in communicating how 1 new controller is better than 2 (or 4). In the cases of Mario Kart or Madden, the limits of only allowing one controller will be spotlighted. It's an embarrassing situation, and no amount of damage control will be able to hide that. Asymmetrical multiplayer does have the potential to offer new experiences, but it is simply not as enticing a proposition as Nintendo believe it will be.

Do you think it would help image-wise if Nintendo unveiled a Wii U Classic Controller as the standard player 2? Basically something that's exactly like Wii's existing classic controller in terms of functionality (without having to be attached to the Wiimote). The buttons / layout on the CC are the same as the tablet, it just doesn't have the screen. Of course, Wii owners with a classic wouldn't have to worry about the additional purchase (unless it's just too nice looking for them to resist).

That's how I really expect a lot of the multiplayer gaming to operate anyway. I just picture it to be a confusing hurdle to have 2+ controller schemes operating at once. In game tutorials would be all "Press B to jump... Wait no, if you're player two then flick your wrist to jump!" Or if you ask your buddy how to pull off a move, he won't be able to tell you using YOUR rig.

Oh, and the hypothetical controller would have to have rumble. If I'm not mistaken, CC currently excludes this. But basically something that looks like a Gamecube pad (Wavebird) with traditional diamond buttons and a Wii U logo slapped on it.

That, but what I found worse was that the Wii U was announced with no games. The entire conference was a farce, they were buying time.
For instance, they promise a new Super Smash Bros... that wouldn't even start development for another year, and they had nothing to show for it.
They show off a 'reel' of experiences and games, like the Mii tech demos, NSMB Mii, and Zelda, and then they make it clear that these are not games.
They call the CEO of EA on stage, who does... what? Nothing, he just gives vague statements of how EA games on a Nintendo console with great power and an online network COULD be, but commits to nothing.
It was almost worse than the Vita's TGS.
They were even worse with the Nintendo Revolution, they first announced it without showing any games *or* experiences. Then later they announced the controllers, and then they showed an experience video, and still no tech demos. So Nintendo has improved quite a bit from last generation to this one, especially as they showed a number of real third-party games in development for the system.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Man, Nintendo really dropped the ball there. It felt throughout like the console was entirely a work in progress, and not ready for a public unveiling, but pressure (from investors? Slowing Wii sales? Poor 3DS launch? The growing leaks?) forced their hand.

I really hope this year's Wii U reveal is as exciting as the 2010 3DS reveal was.

I think this whole conference has a good potential of being better than 2010, but that's of course if they do everything right. They at least have NSMB2, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Paper Mario to show off on the 3DS. Throw in a couple of 3rd party games and a few surprises (Zelda 3DS perhaps?) and that would be a great way to start off the show. Lead into the very small amount of Wii software that will be there, and then start with Wii U stuff.

There is a lot of potential, but of course I said the same thing last year. Still, I think Nintendo is in a much better position to have an amazing conference this year, especially if they can reveal things like Retro's project and get a really quick Super Smash Bros teaser out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom