• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Consumer and developers.
Which is what a proof of concept game would do.
Except that now you're building up a userbase for third party games instead of trying to steal their focus with such a limiting game (like WiiSports did).

Do you honestly believe that 3rd parties shit all over the Wii because it launched with Wii Sports? I assume you're referring to all of their excuses for why they couldn't succeed on the thing and why they were putting out putrid balls of trash on the thing... Is that right?

If you believe that, truly believe it, you're a bit gullible. That had nothing to do with why 3rd parties chose the releases they did; it was an excuse, a figment of imagination.

The only thing your suggestion does is that it splits the proof-of-concept into three separate games that people have to pay for rather than giving them one that does it just from buying the hardware.

Wii U needs Super Mario Universe as launch title.
It would be an open-world Super Mario where you could travel through galaxies etc.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 engine with new shaders + 1080p + 60FPS+ 8xAA.

AniHawk

Again: What game should Nintendo launch with the system then?

an advanced mario paint/u paint and flipnote studio is going to have to be included in the system and promoted. maybe some sort of video-capturing feature that you can animate on frame per frame. other tablets have this ability, but nintendo could benefit from promoting it.

the actual game they need is new super mario bros. mii. after about 5 years of a mario resurgence, i think audiences might be getting sick of seeing him, even in platformers, but if they push the 'lol, it's you and a game and you're playing with mario!!' angle, then they might be able to squeeze a little blood from that stone.

they'll also need support titles around launch time. maybe not twilight princess or mario galaxy in terms of selling power, but franchises like pikmin and excite truck. things that exist more for enthusiasts and not the random person picking up consoles.

touching back on the first point, it's weird that nintendo became the go-to box for netflix, but it's something they can drive home. if it's possible, pushing the ability to watch netflix as you play a game on the controller would probably help parents decide if it's the christmas gift the family could use. a lot of the nongame features that are already in normal tablets are going to have to be pushed as if they're new and exciting things.

i'm not sure what sort of possibilities await a tablet controller. it seems like those have already been done for a while by other companies. and there's clearly less in the realm of, 'oooh, it's my sword/flashlight/wheel/arcade controller' like with the wii remote. it'll be harder to appeal to imagination.

Bumhead

Banned
To suggest this Wii U's "demonstration" of the U Pad can't be the same as Wii Sports seems abit silly, to me. Putting Wii Sports in a neat package of "casual" or "core" isn't the point. That separation didn't really exist. Wii Sports was successful because it demonstrated the controller, not because it was a "casual" game. The Wii U just needs something similar to do the same. It doesn't need Call of Duty to do it, at all.

Vinci

Danish
an advanced mario paint/u paint and flipnote studio is going to have to be included in the system and promoted. maybe some sort of video-capturing feature that you can animate on frame per frame. other tablets have this ability, but nintendo could benefit from promoting it.

These are good.

the actual game they need is new super mario bros. mii. after about 5 years of a mario resurgence, i think audiences might be getting sick of seeing him, even in platformers, but if they push the 'lol, it's you and a game and you're playing with mario!!' angle, then they might be able to squeeze a little blood from that stone.

What makes you think audiences are getting sick of Mario? Just curious.

With that lineup it isn't going to sell.

Which is really my problem with it. It seems more like demonstrating to the developers than to audiences. If the system is strong enough, 3rd parties aren't going to bother putting as much in the way of trash on the U as they did the Wii, especially if they can relatively easily port titles over to it now that Nintendo's system is strong enough to play them. Whether that's good or bad is immaterial at this juncture; regardless, Nintendo cannot depend on 3rd parties to sell their hardware for them. It doesn't work.

guek

Banned
I still want someone to show me how 2x current gen vs 2000x current gen would really increase budgets linearly to the point of implosion of the industry. As far as I understand, developers working in HD now already work in resolutions higher than what the consoles can handle. If this is true I reallly don't see budgets getting higher just because of the power of the machines and the assets created for them. Sure when studios started all having to use MoCap that would have blown budgets so non-asset tech can hurt, but I think that developers have made that jump to HD now and I think the increases will not be as geometric.

It's not as simple as having higher res assets and that being all. Costs have been predicted to go up next for a reason. Whether costs will increase exponentially or not as they have this gen remains to be seen, but they're not going to stay the same, and there are many people within the industry who agree AAA(A) games are only going to get more expensive.

But here's the thing, we may already be at a point where dev costs are unsustainable. Devs are closing left and right these days, and even big guns like EA aren't having an easy time making money compared to last gen. How long can we really keep this up? I can't understand anyone who would make the case that the industry is healthier now than it was in 2000. Larger? Sure. More profitable? Not at all. As digital revenue streams continue to expand though, all that can change, but I don't see things being very peachy at the moment.

Anywho, here's a pretty good post by a dev on gaf detailing why next gen development will take longer and thus be more expensive: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36630135&postcount=354

wsippel

Banned
As similar as people think Nintendo and Apple are in philosophies, they are simply not compatible on any level.
They run things very differently.
Apple is all about the free access to every part of their system while Nintendo is very controlling.
You never owned a single Apple device in your life, right? If there's one word I'd never associate with Apple, it's "open".

AniHawk

What makes you think audiences are getting sick of Mario? Just curious.

i'm just suggesting the possibility of fatigue setting in. nintendo's been pretty good at differentiating each entry so far. nsmb was the first 2d mario in 14 years. smg was the first 3d mario in 5 years. nsmbw was the first 2d mario on a console in 18 years and had several new multiplayer modes. smg2 wasn't anything special outside of being better than smg in every way, and 3d land was the 2d games, but in 3d!

nsmbm can be the one where you're in the game and it's neat because you're in the game! but beyond that, it's probably not going to be too different from nsmbw. maybe the 3d game will return to the open world style of super mario 64, but make it more like xenoblade: the platformer in terms of how that open world works (which might make it more of an action-adventure game). not that 3d mario ever was as popular as 2d mario.

it could just be that i'm feeling a bit of franchise fatigue with mario platformers. it could just be that 3d land left a bad taste in my mouth and that i'm clearly the minority on that one. i'm just not sure how they can market a new 2d mario game and get people to want to get that instead of keep playing nsmbw.

AzaK

It's not as simple as having higher res assets and that being all. Costs have been predicted to go up next for a reason. Whether costs will increase exponentially or not as they have this gen remains to be seen, but they're not going to stay the same, and there are many people within the industry who agree AAA(A) games are only going to get more expensive.

But here's the thing, we may already be at a point where dev costs are unsustainable. Devs are closing left and right these days, and even big guns like EA aren't having an easy time making money compared to last gen. How long can we really keep this up? I can't understand anyone who would make the case that the industry is healthier now than it was in 2000. Larger? Sure. More profitable? Not at all. As digital revenue streams continue to expand though, all that can change, but I don't see things being very peachy at the moment.

Anywho, here's a pretty good post by a dev on gaf detailing why next gen development will take longer and thus be more expensive: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36630135&postcount=354

Thanks quek that was interesting. I see now where things can get more time (money) consuming. I would still argue that I doubt it's going to be a linear progression but yes, it's definitely not going to be exactly the same based on that info.

About the launch titles, I dunno about top tier games, but Nintendo does need to make sure the pack-in stuff is robust, sells the system's features and is compelling to people.

I'd personally be pretty happy with:

Netflix (For you bastards that have it in your countries)
Video chat that also had a PC/Mac version of the software
Facebook
Twitter
Browser (Might be enough for email as well)
Email app (Possibly partner with Google for GMail)
Battle/Chase Mii finished versions to show off the asynchronous play (Maybe on disk but preinstalled if possible)
Paint/Doogle program with social features for sharing
Club Nintendo/Account portal

BurntPork

Banned
Cool beans about your definition, brosef.

However low budget does not mean low marketing budget. There are many, many counterexamples, such as Brain Age, Wii Sports, and hell Angry Birds.

Fair enough. I figured that marketing would be considered part of the budget.

I'm not asking, I'm saying that you can't be qualifying a new IP as "A," "B," "C," or whatever before it actually releases...

And no, low budget does not mean a low marketing budget. These are two completely different focuses. You can have a game with a low development budget with a high marketing budget, and vice versa...

It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a new IP. I just don't see Ubisoft putting time and effort into this. The fact that it's an exclusive launch title on an HD system already makes it suspect no matter who the publisher is.. Do we know which team is working on this?

AniHawk

To suggest this Wii U's "demonstration" of the U Pad can't be the same as Wii Sports seems abit silly, to me. Putting Wii Sports in a neat package of "casual" or "core" isn't the point. That separation didn't really exist. Wii Sports was successful because it demonstrated the controller, not because it was a "casual" game. The Wii U just needs something similar to do the same. It doesn't need Call of Duty to do it, at all.

well the difference here is:

1. tablets have been around and have been popular for a couple of years now, unlike motion controls when the wii remote was released.
2. the wii remote had the ability to capture a certain sense of imagination while still appearing as something familiar (tv remote). the only thing the upad resembles is a tablet, and i don't think something that's a big rectangle instantly captures as much imagination as something that can be a baseball bat/tennis racket/golf club.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Isn't there going to be a mario game on the 3DS in the fall again this year? No need to have two mario games. Launch with something else like a new IP for gamers along with a Wii U mini game pack in like they did for Wii.

hatchx

Banned
i'm just suggesting the possibility of fatigue setting in. nintendo's been pretty good at differentiating each entry so far. nsmb was the first 2d mario in 14 years. smg was the first 3d mario in 5 years. nsmbw was the first 2d mario on a console in 18 years and had several new multiplayer modes. smg2 wasn't anything special outside of being better than smg in every way, and 3d land was the 2d games, but in 3d!

nsmbm can be the one where you're in the game and it's neat because you're in the game! but beyond that, it's probably not going to be too different from nsmbw. maybe the 3d game will return to the open world style of super mario 64, but make it more like xenoblade: the platformer in terms of how that open world works (which might make it more of an action-adventure game). not that 3d mario ever was as popular as 2d mario.

it could just be that i'm feeling a bit of franchise fatigue with mario platformers. it could just be that 3d land left a bad taste in my mouth and that i'm clearly the minority on that one. i'm just not sure how they can market a new 2d mario game and get people to want to get that instead of keep playing nsmbw.

Good thoughts AniHawk,

but seriously,

Mario Bros + ability to draw/create levels on the Upad. They will piuch the level creation/sharing ability. Easy for even the youngest kids or parents. You can play levels online with friends, and send friends your levels to try, etc etc. You will even be able to play on levels while someone creates them on the Upad in real time.

I'm calling it right here, and it will be their massive killer app for Wii U this holiday. Doesn't even need to have amazing graphics.

Look at the points:

-NSMBwii was a massive worldwide success.
-Nintendo sees what Little Big Planet did. They acknowledged it.
-Iwata admitted to pursuing DLC, online, network sharing, etc.
-They showed a NSMB tech demo at last e3. Means the engine is up and the team is doing something.
-You think they'd release a WiiU Mario launch title that doesn't utilize the upad?

Pikmin 3 in December, some in-system tech demos, and third parties will carry them nicely over the holidays. Burry your dreams of F-Zero, Metroid, Excite truck guys. I doubt Retro's game will even be ready for launch (probably first 6-8 months launch).

Super Mario Universe will follow holiday 2013. I predict a glorious return to flight but in large levels. Maybe bring back the cape for dive bombs and such. I'd like one big open world. Extremely good graphics. The Upad could just be a top-down map. It'll be glorious.

Vinci

Danish

1. tablets have been around and have been popular for a couple of years now, unlike motion controls when the wii remote was released.
2. the wii remote had the ability to capture a certain sense of imagination while still appearing as something familiar (tv remote). the only thing the upad resembles is a tablet, and i don't think something that's a big rectangle instantly captures as much imagination as something that can be a baseball bat/tennis racket/golf club.

From personal experience, Chase Mii and Battle Mii go over really well with those in the casual audience I've shown them to. I think the appeal is similar to what the Wii had, but the immediacy of 'getting it' is different - I agree there. And that's the reason why I think it has to have a U Play (including Chase Mii, Battle Mii, and other asymmetrical gameplay titles) included with the system at launch. They have to show that the tablet does what other tablets can do but that the combination with traditional controls and the streaming can come together and be more than the sum of their parts.

Sadist

I'm kinda with Anihawk: an app or game where you can fiddle around with the pad. Maybe a continuation of the Warioware game where you can design your own game or something?

AzaK

Two things it has over and above a regular tablet though are:

1) It's part of a two screen setup. Showing that in ads could have some instant appeal. Imagine Netflix app where you could control the movie on the Subscreen as well as look up information about the movie etc?

2) Games can be played solely on the Subscreen (Hopefully with a click or two), thereby freeing up the TV. This could be a great selling point for families or someone who just wants to move their gaming into another room (Assuming it has the range, we're not sure yet)

Vinci

Danish
Frankly, Mario Paint makes LOADS of sense and would work particularly well with the pad. In addition, it might get people to finally be pleased that the system has a stylus.

AniHawk

Good thoughts AniHawk,

but seriously,

Mario Bros + ability to draw/create levels on the Upad. They will piuch the level creation/sharing ability. Easy for even the youngest kids or parents. You can play levels online with friends, and send friends your levels to try, etc etc. You will even be able to play on levels while someone creates them on the Upad in real time.

I'm calling it right here, and it will be their massive killer app for Wii U this holiday. Doesn't even need to have amazing graphics.

Look at the points:

-They showed a NSMB tech demo at last e3. Means the engine is up and the team is doing something.
-You think they'd release a WiiU Mario launch title that doesn't utilize the upad?

Pikmin 3 in December, some in-system tech demos, and third parties will carry them nicely over the holidays. Burry your dreams of F-Zero, Metroid, Excite truck guys. I doubt Retro's game will even be ready for launch (probably first 6-8 months launch).

Super Mario Universe will follow holiday 2013. I predict a glorious return to flight but in large levels. Maybe bring back the cape for dive bombs and such. I'd like one big open world. Extremely good graphics. The Upad could just be a top-down map. It'll me glorious.

i hadn't considered level creation. if they decide to do that, and basically rip off lbp by telling people they can share levels online with their friends, it would probably be super popular... much to the chagrin of everyone at sony and who supports their efforts.

impact

Banned
Good thoughts AniHawk,

but seriously,

Look at the points:

Super Mario Universe will follow holiday 2013. I predict a glorious return to flight but in large levels. Maybe bring back the cape for dive bombs and such. I'd like one big open world. Extremely good graphics. The Upad could just be a top-down map. It'll me glorious.

LBP without the shitty platforming and physics? GOTG

Exactly. We'd have yet another 3DS-type launch, which Nintendo is already claiming it learned from.

They can have learned from that event and still not have the resources to do anything about it. They've said they want to avoid droughts, but Kid Icarus might be the only 3DS game they release in 2012 before Fall. Hard to make a bunch of big games when it's just one company.

NSMB would be piss easy and it was only really to show games played on the pad, If they do a new 2d Mario I hope they start new dont forget that NSMB wii stated out life as a DS but they wanted to do 4 players

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good thoughts AniHawk,

but seriously,

Look at the points:

Nintendo will NEVER do a "do-it-yourself" Mario game.

Sadist

They can have learned from that event and still not have the resources to do anything about it. They've said they want to avoid droughts, but Kid Icarus might be the only 3DS game they release in 2012 before Fall. Hard to make a bunch of big games when it's just one company.
Mario Tennis Open (May)

hatchx

Banned
i hadn't considered level creation. if they decide to do that, and basically rip off lbp by telling people they can share levels online with their friends, it would probably be super popular... much to the chagrin of everyone at sony and who supports their efforts.

Well four major improvements over LBP:

1. None of the weird 3-tier 2D gameplay that ruined Little Big Planet.

2. Easy to use level-creator. The creator in LBP was so dense I never even bothered. This new one will be so simple. Click water, then where you draw water will appear. Set spikes, enemies. Simple drag drop structure. Make a level in a matter of minutes.

3. Tight Mario gameplay VS floaty weird LBP gameplay.

4. Powerful brand recognition.

I think this concept will do for 2D platformers/creators what COD4 did for online FPS. It takes something already established and does it right.

Nintendo will NEVER do a "do-it-yourself" Mario game.

On Nintendo's tight ass closed network, I bet they will. It'll be the ultimate NSMB game.

I know you're thinking. 2D Mario is about their brilliant game design. Well, I'd expect the same 8 worlds from the designers. I'd also expect for an FUTURE 2D mario's to refresh the art style and go in new directions like Yoshi's Island or Mario World.

NSMB create (or 'infinite') will be the be-all-end-all of the NSMB franchise, and it'll sell all of next generation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yeah...no.

AniHawk

From personal experience, Chase Mii and Battle Mii go over really well with those in the casual audience I've shown them to. I think the appeal is similar to what the Wii had, but the immediacy of 'getting it' is different - I agree there. And that's the reason why I think it has to have a U Play (including Chase Mii, Battle Mii, and other asymmetrical gameplay titles) included with the system at launch. They have to show that the tablet does what other tablets can do but that the combination with traditional controls and the streaming can come together and be more than the sum of their parts.

well i guess there's also the fact that mostly everything i've ever downplayed has become a resounding success, like the ds and the wii/wii sports.

Two things it has over and above a regular tablet though are:

1) It's part of a two screen setup. Showing that in ads could have some instant appeal. Imagine Netflix app where you could control the movie on the Subscreen as well as look up information about the movie etc?

2) Games can be played solely on the Subscreen (Hopefully with a click or two), thereby freeing up the TV. This could be a great selling point for families or someone who just wants to move their gaming into another room (Assuming it has the range, we're not sure yet)

i do know people who do that sort of thing, who look up information on a movie as they watch it ('who's that actor??'). it probably won't be a big selling point, but it is at least a neat feature.

i think the second point will be the biggest selling point for families who have to fight over the tv, but then at that point you have to wonder about people who already have, say, a wii and a tablet that they use for netflix and play games on, respectively.

Somnia

Mario Paint should be a downloadable title in this day and age unless they did a mix of Mario Paint and Paper Mario.... =O

Plinko

On Nintendo's tight ass closed network, I bet they will. It'll be the ultimate NSMB game.

I know you're thinking. 2D Mario is about their brilliant game design. Well, I'd expect the same 8 worlds from the designers. I'd also expect for an FUTURE 2D mario's to refresh the art style and go in new directions like Yoshi's Island or Mario World.

NSMB create (or 'infinite') will be the be-all-end-all of the NSMB franchise, and it'll sell all of next generation.

I still don't see it happening. Giving gamers the opportunity to create their own levels will take away the need to buy future games for casuals.

I easily see them going in the "We'll release a new world of levels for DLC every month for a year" type deal, but I highly doubt they give the user creative freedom.

hatchx

Banned
I still don't see it happening. Giving gamers the opportunity to create their own levels will take away the need to buy future games for casuals.

I easily see them going in the "We'll release a new world of levels for DLC every month for a year" type deal, but I highly doubt they give the user creative freedom.

Just seems like such an obvious choice. DLC levels to NSMB is nothing special, and doesn't utilize the Upad.

Let's agree to disagree Plinko, but come June, remember who you heard it from first ;)

I'll also predict the DKCR2 for 3DS, from Retro (with multiplayer).

I'd put money on my two predictions.

Vinci

Danish
Nintendo will never create a DIY Mario title and especially not in the style of 2D or 3D platformers. They would be ceding some measure of quality control over to total strangers. Does Nintendo really seem liberally minded enough to take that sort of chance with the franchise they have protected and maintained the best? It would be putting the brand's image at risk.

It'll never happen.

AzaK

i do know people who do that sort of thing, who look up information on a movie as they watch it ('who's that actor??'). it probably won't be a big selling point, but it is at least a neat feature.

I'm one of those people. Also I should have added that the Subscreen may also be able to be used for entirely different things while using the console for say Netflix. Depending on how Nintendo implement it, it's possible that you could watch a movie on the main screen, pull up the home menu on the Subscreen, select a VC game, or web browser, or email etc and use it at the same time. Then use the Wii Remote to control Netflix.

i think the second point will be the biggest selling point for families who have to fight over the tv, but then at that point you have to wonder about people who already have, say, a wii and a tablet that they use for netflix and play games on, respectively.

Absolutely, but you can't get traditional controller-based games on a tablet and of course you can't get Nintendo games. If in this scenario they sell the TV part to the adult but the tablet part to the "gamers" in the family there could be appeal there. If they try and sell it like "You can watch TV and play Angry Birds on the controller" then people will go "Err, I can do that already".

Basically I think there's opportunity to really sell some of these unique features offered by the Wii U and it's Subscreen. Nintendo just need to be smart with their marketting like they were with the Wii.

NINTENDO I AM SO FUCKING BOREDDDD!
Feed me some news dammit. Just shove it down my oesophagus. It better taste good to Nintendo, or I'll..puke it up, who would read vomited up news? NO ONE that's who. So please give me news.
Don't make me go to your headquarters to shake the news out of Reggie, I will dammit, I will.
Anyone have Iwata's number, I wanna ring him up, and take him out to a nice dinner and get him to spout out some things about the Wii U..I promise I'll pay the tab.

Sadist

NINTENDO I AM SO FUCKING BOREDDDD!
Feed me some news dammit. Just shove it down my oesophagus. It better taste good to Nintendo, or I'll..puke it up, who would read vomited up news? NO ONE that's who. So please give me news.
Don't make me go to your headquarters to shake the news out of Reggie, I will dammit, I will.
Anyone have Iwata's number, I wanna ring him up, and take him out to a nice dinner and get him to spout out some things about the Wii U..I promise I'll pay the tab.
Iwata: *laughs*

Plinko

Nintendo will never create a DIY Mario title and especially not in the style of 2D or 3D platformers. They would be ceding some measure of quality control over to total strangers. Does Nintendo really seem liberally minded enough to take that sort of chance with the franchise they have protected and maintained the best? It would be putting the brand's image at risk.

It'll never happen.

My sentiments exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom