• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
from now until a woman touches ur diiiiiiiiick
touchdic2.jpg

?

Or are u talking about your own situation? :p

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
As I said previously, I think a time-limited offer would be a good way to get sales out of the gate. I've lost count of how many people are apparently waiting for a price drop, but if the Wii U launched with free games, it would make more people buy it early.

Sort of similar to how early adopters got Excitebike 3D for free if you connected to the 3DS eShop in the first month, but everyone else had to pay for it afterwards - but obviously a bigger game.

jacksrb

And the best:

red-steel-2-anticipated-wii-games-q1-2010.jpg

Reaching back a couple of pages...

I loved RS2. It was beautiful and a silky smooth 60 fps. It wasn't perfect, but there isn't anything else like and I thought the mechanics worked well. The game structure needed refinement, like how Assassin's Creed 2 was the full realization of the mechanics and promise of 1.

Also, Quantum of Solace was one of the ugliest games in recent memory in some spots. However, the 1st person/3rd person mechanic actually worked pretty well.

XPE

Reaching back a couple of pages...

I loved RS2. It was beautiful and a silky smooth 60 fps. It wasn't perfect, but there isn't anything else like and I thought the mechanics worked well. The game structure needed refinement, like how Assassin's Creed 2 was the full realization of the mechanics and promise of 1.

Also, Quantum of Solace was one of the ugliest games in recent memory in some spots. However, the 1st person/3rd person mechanic actually worked pretty well.

Totally agree with you Red steel 2 was a great game and I wish some more games would used that 1st person/3rd person mechanic.

I've already said.
An adventure game.
A racing game.
Pikmin 3.

Each one will demonstrate different uses for the controller.

Terrible lineup. Could it potentially be a good lineup for you and me as NeoGaf members? Sure. But unless that "adventure game" turns out to be a Metroid title or something AAA from NOJ or Retro, Pikmin 3 is the only thing keeping it just a step above the 3DS launch. With no Super Mario game said lineup will potentially cause the system to be ignored at launch by a lot of the same people Nintendo needs most: the casual gamers and families who bought the Wii and made the system a huge success who are fickle and now have a lot more to distract them.

Doesn't matter if each of those games utitlizes the tablet above and beyond, no Super Mario title at launch and Nintendo is seriously risking getting themselves into another Ambassador situation. Mario is the essential trojan horse needed to keep the lemmings corralled. THEN once they buy the system and have it in their home they'll see how awesome the tablet is, 'cuz unless the demo stations are plentiful right away and the banners and marketing are 100% clear and coherent this time (unlike the 3DS non-marketing debacle), many won't care and may see the system as a clone of something they already own and the tablet as another IPad wannabe product.

Sorry to be posting this again, but this hypothetical scenario is a very real example of how many consumers (especially parents buying in the holiday season) think:

Soccer mom goes into Best Buy during launch.

"Oh what's this Wii U system, that looks kind of interesting. Does it play Wii games?"

Sales guy: "It sure does and it has a tablet controller."

Soccer Mom: "Oh, and that looks cute, what game is this."

Sales guy: "That's Pikmin 3. It's a strategy game with little plant people."

Soccer Mom: "Can the family play it together?"

Sales guy: "Well, I think it has an optional 2 player mode."

Soccer Mom: "Hmmmm, ok. Oh well, I think I'll get my son an IPad instead and he can just keep his regular Wii which he still plays a lot, we all still play that Wii Party game too. But what's this new Super Mario game, will that play on the old Wii?"

Sales guy: "No, that will only play on the new Wii U system."

Soccer mom: "Oh really? My son is going to want to play that for sure and his sisters like Mario too. How much is the Wii U system again?"

System sale gained. Other scenario with Pikmin 3, Nintendogs type fare, third party ports and no Mario game quite possibly = iPad sale plus one instead.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The wait between E3 2001 and GCN launch wasn't so bad. Mainly because we got perodic updates on Rogue Leader and other games, Spaceworld (Celda!), the September JPN launch, and we got to pick fights with xbots all summer.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
A certain site that you Go to for Nintendo news is reporting a rumour.
Square Enix may have worked some sort of deal with Nintendo to share a character that hasn't been seen in a long time for a game project....

Mr Swine

Banned
I still don't see it happening. Giving gamers the opportunity to create their own levels will take away the need to buy future games for casuals.

I easily see them going in the "We'll release a new world of levels for DLC every month for a year" type deal, but I highly doubt they give the user creative freedom.

That didn't stop Poeple from buying Mario vs Donkey komg

HylianTom

Banned
A certain site that you Go to for Nintendo news is reporting a rumour.
Square Enix may have worked some sort of deal with Nintendo to share a character that hasn't been seen in a long time for a game project....

I would love for the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix to warm to the point where they throw some true AAA exclusives our way. Damn, that'd be good..

HylianTom

Banned
So are we any closer to knowing if my wii saves and VC stuff will carry over from the existing SD card?

Not even a nanometer closer.

My gut feeling tells me that if they do not carry over, then something has gone terribly wrong at Nintendo. This should be a no-brainer. Should be.

Roo

Crystal Dynamics is going to have to figure things out on their own. It hurts, I know. :(

I'll have to borrow a PS3 to play that game ¬¬
anyway u.u
do we know anything about Wii U's version of Dragon Quest?
are they showing anything at E3? launch? something?

Nice comparison post nordique.

Chances are that whatever enhancements nintendo have in there are in the form of GPU ISA modifications. And since nobody writes GPU assembly, particularly not native assembly, all the enhancements will be available through the shader compiler. IOW, some high-level shader code will just 'automagically' get performance gains on the U-GPU.

I always wondered what kind of take you would have on what that info might mean for the GPU.

there's been rumours that they've been tweaking the dev kits to optimize for new engines, I assume that means UE4 and CryEngine 3 right?

BG or IdeaMan or someone would need to confirm that.

CE3 is "old" so that being on there is expected. I have no recent info on UE4 and Wii U myself, but I would definitely assume they making tweaks for compatibility.

I really disliked Tommy.

*high five*

At least on the show for me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What's this I'm hearing about Square-Enix licensing Nintendo characters for a undisclosed project?

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, it's from that banned Nintendo site. Its source is one of its users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom