• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

NINTENDO I AM SO FUCKING BOREDDDD!
Feed me some news dammit. Just shove it down my oesophagus. It better taste good to Nintendo, or I'll..puke it up, who would read vomited up news? NO ONE that's who. So please give me news.
Don't make me go to your headquarters to shake the news out of Reggie, I will dammit, I will.
Anyone have Iwata's number, I wanna ring him up, and take him out to a nice dinner and get him to spout out some things about the Wii U..I promise I'll pay the tab.

Call the funny farm, Ice is losing it.

I agree. At least after E3 we will have much more info. I'm sure there will be more speculation after E3 though hehe.

Yeah and I hope that after E3 NDA's are lifted and well get a steady stream of info until launch unlike the desert we have to live in now.

HylianTom

Banned
Call the funny farm, Ice is losing it.

Yeah and I hope that after E3 NDA's are lifted and well get a steady stream of info until launch unlike the desert we have to live in now.

The E3 info is going to last us a week or two, and then we'll begin to go crazy over release date, price, launch titles, pre-orders, etc. Definitely going to be a maddening summer.

HylianTom

Banned
You don't expect all that info at E3?

There's always some doubt about what titles will actually make launch, even after E3. And for the Wii launch, the date and price weren't announced until mid-September 2006. So there's the chance that we won't know these things.

I'd love to know this stuff, and hope that Nintendo changes its way from last time around.

guek

Banned
well at least we only have 11 days until the investors meeting where Iwata will tell everyone to wait until E3 for Wii U news. So stay chipper everyone!

I remember he reviewed Super Mario 64 "I'm 28 years old, I don't want to be jumping on shells" or something like that lol. He's the pure definition of a dudebro.

This is a great one. The contrast between Tommy & Vic was always entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIh-wFhYEUc

The part in bold is true. Maybe that's why he rubbed me the wrong way on that show.

well I assumed it meant UE4 because why would it be getting tweaked to run UE3. We'd be in big trouble then.

Definitely. Especially since we've known for awhile now UE3 can run on Wii U.

AzaK

well at least we only have 11 days until the investors meeting where Iwata will tell everyone to wait until E3 for Wii U news. So stay chipper everyone!

idontwanttobelieveitbutiknowyoureright

well I assumed it meant UE4 because why would it be getting tweaked to run UE3. We'd be in big trouble then.
Oh please, please be true. My brain says "It's gotta be UE4 compatible", but my heart has been crushed too many times already. What I'd like to see is the first public UE4 demo on a Nintendo machine and looking gorgeous as all hell. I know they'll show it on PC to really sell it but maybe the first console version will be (have to be due to tech?) on the Wii U around launch or at E3.

HylianTom

Banned

Man, for whatever reason I thought we were much, much closer to that event. Damn.

But no. It's only Tax Day. Another month-and-a-half-plus until E3.

(and on yesterday in 2006, Matt Cassamassina was revealing info about Metroid Prime 3.. and that it'd be playable at E3)
http://www.ign.com/blogs/Matt-IGN/2006/04/14/11845/p4

Anth0ny

Man, for whatever reason I thought we were much, much closer to that event. Damn.

(and on yesterday in 2006, Matt Cassamassina was revealing info about Metroid Prime 3.. and that it'd be playable at E3)

On this day in 2011, 01net gave us the goods:

Controller
- 6" touchscreen, not HD, not multitouch
- D-Pad, L, R, two triggers, others
- 'Front-facing camera'
- A sensor roughly analagous to the Wii sensor bar is incorporated in the controller - i.e. some kind of IR beacons/transmitters. Purpose isn't clear.

Specs
- Custom triple-core PowerPC
- AMD/ATI GPU. 'Probably' derived from R700 series.
- RAM unknown
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch"

Misc
- One other 'huge surprise' about the system

Taken from:

http://www.01net.com/editorial/53166...-pour-manette/

http://www.01net.com/editorial/53168...s-de-la-wii-2/

01net where are youuuuuu

NINTENDO I AM SO FUCKING BOREDDDD!
Feed me some news dammit. Just shove it down my oesophagus. It better taste good to Nintendo, or I'll..puke it up, who would read vomited up news? NO ONE that's who. So please give me news.
Don't make me go to your headquarters to shake the news out of Reggie, I will dammit, I will.
Anyone have Iwata's number, I wanna ring him up, and take him out to a nice dinner and get him to spout out some things about the Wii U..I promise I'll pay the tab.

You know, Ice might help. Yeah, Go on a six month Meth binge while backpacking through south east asia. After wards you'll get home sober up and voila! Last thing you remember is buying drugs and plane tickets and now Wii U is out :p

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

I could post a round-up of those idiotic "Why the Wii U is doomed" articles, but I think it will just depress everyone...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I don't think as big of trouble as some would say on GAF.

Mark Rein himself was saying to only expect UE3 games for the first few years of the next-gen.

Edit: Misinterpreted your post.

Definitely. Especially since we've known for awhile now UE3 can run on Wii U.

Oh please, please be true. My brain says "It's gotta be UE4 compatible", but my heart has been crushed too many times already. What I'd like to see is the first public UE4 demo on a Nintendo machine and looking gorgeous as all hell. I know they'll show it on PC to really sell it but maybe the first console version will be (have to be due to tech?) on the Wii U around launch or at E3.
we must believe. HIGHFIVEEEEEE.

The idea of Wii U running the latest unreal engine is making me all giddy. What was the last Nintendo console to do that? GCN and UE2, right?

nordique

Reaching back a couple of pages...

I loved RS2. It was beautiful and a silky smooth 60 fps. It wasn't perfect, but there isn't anything else like and I thought the mechanics worked well. The game structure needed refinement, like how Assassin's Creed 2 was the full realization of the mechanics and promise of 1.

I agree, this is one game I never got around to playing beyond the first level whereas I happened to finish the first game. I feel they should have almost given it a new name because I could barely recognize the game when I played the sequel.

I should see if I can pick it up somewhere for cheap, and provided its not too long, give it a go

What game is this?

I think its one of the Need For Speed's, most likely ProStreet. The car model looked better to me than Cruis'n :p

That's my question. Also, is it any good?

No idea. I have not played a Need For Speed since the Underground one during the PS2/GC/Xbox days, but I have some (take this as you will) casual gamer friends who own the game for Wii and enjoyed it very much.

Nice comparison post nordique.

CE3 is "old" so that being on there is expected. I have no recent info on UE4 and Wii U myself, but I would definitely assume they making tweaks for compatibility.

Cheers, thanks. The main reason I did that, specifics aside, was simply to show visually how drastic of a difference can occur based just on developer efforts, on the same machine.

btw was there not some sort of confirmation that CE3 would be making its way to Wii U?

I would assume Nintendo would tweak the system enough to be able to run it. Nintendo is aware of who Epic is, and why the Unreal Engine is important on the home console front, that much they do know. And, even if it doesn't, UE3 is no slouch either. My understanding of that engine is that it has developed quite a bit over time and it has been upgraded quite a bit. I think Li Mu Bai's post re-affirms how we won't have to "worry" about the Wii U when it comes to graphics capability. Also I think blu once mentioned how a lot of engine scalability depends on feature-set, not just raw horsepower.

There's always some doubt about what titles will actually make launch, even after E3. And for the Wii launch, the date and price weren't announced until mid-September 2006.

I'm guessing they're going to have the same sort of date/price reveal as in 2006. Three large expos around the world for the press.

At least I hope so, the Wii one was awesome.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm guessing they're going to have the same sort of date/price reveal as in 2006. Three large expos around the world for the press.

At least I hope so, the Wii one was awesome.

The only situation where I see Nintendo revealing that info at E3 is where they release it much earlier than we all expect.. (i.e., earlier than October).

There doesn't have to be a Mario at launch, but there does need to be something big.

I think if Nintendo can give us a new IP at launch that looks amazing, people will come out in droves to buy it.

Add the 3rd party launch titles like ACIII and Arkham City and you have a great lineup, and it WILL sell.

Packing in a proof-of-concept along with a great lineup like that might result in massive sales. The casuals are happy with their mini games and the enthusiasts are satisfied with the launch line-up.

BurntPork

Banned
it's just supposed to look like 3 identical things repeating lol, to annoy people mostly. And it has been effective, I find it amusing.

It could be more effective...

hayGZ.png

I'm sure you'll agree, but the most likely scenario is that it will be able run UE4 in some kind of capacity, but it won't be where UE4 gets debuted. That will most likely be reserved for some high-end, nVidia-based PC.

The idea of Wii U running the latest unreal engine is making me all giddy. What was the last Nintendo console to do that? GCN and UE2, right?

Sounds about right.

Cheers, thanks. The main reason I did that, specifics aside, was simply to show visually how drastic of a difference can occur based just on developer efforts, on the same machine.

btw was there not some sort of confirmation that CE3 would be making its way to Wii U?

Not that I recall. That old Game Watch article said it was running on Wii U. I think when it comes to CE3 the better question is which version of CE3 (pre or post DX11) it can handle? But in the end people are going to have a tough time telling the difference between a Wii U version compared to a PS4/Xbox 3 version when the game is in motion. The way it looks so far the gap between Wii U and PS4/Xbox 3 will be smaller than if you took your "standard" high-end PC as of today and compared it to PS360 latter gen games.

Not that I recall. That old Game Watch article said it was running on Wii U. I think when it comes to CE3 the better question is which version of CE3 (pre or post DX11) it can handle? But in the end people are going to have a tough time telling the difference between a Wii U version compared to a PS4/Xbox 3 version when the game is in motion. The way it looks so far the gap between Wii U and PS4/Xbox 3 will be smaller than if you took your "standard" high-end PC as of today and compared it to PS360 latter gen games.
But do you think that will be dependant on whether or not the developer puts in a little or a lot of effort? Or is this a case where the architecture will be easy enough to work with that optimally porting will be easy for any dev.

it's just supposed to look like 3 identical things repeating lol, to annoy people mostly. And it has been effective, I find it amusing.

The avatar trolling is strong in this one.

:p

Edit: Oh yeah, CE3 even if it just "fixes" the most obvious issues it had on consoles would be more than enough for me.

BD1

Banned
The only situation where I see Nintendo revealing that info at E3 is where they release it much earlier than we all expect.. (i.e., earlier than October).

I expect a launch date revealed on stage at E3, but a "we're not talking specifics today" on price.

Price will probably be revealed at TGS, Nintendo/Space World 2012 or at a media brief in the fall a la Wii.

AzaK

I'm sure you'll agree, but the most likely scenario is that it will be able run UE4 in some kind of capacity, but it won't be where UE4 gets debuted. That will most likely be reserved for some high-end, nVidia-based PC.

Absolutely. All I hope for is the first console reveal on the Wii U and not the 720/PS4 but if it's not ready for primetime for another year then it will be the latter no doubt.

But do you think that will be dependant on whether or not the developer puts in a little or a lot of effort? Or is this a case where the architecture will be easy enough to work with that optimally porting will be easy for any dev.

What he means is, people can barely tell a High end PC game from a 360 game as it is, and the difference will likely be comparable.

guek

Banned
An E3 showing of UE4 on Wii U would be pretty earth shattering.

I just hope I say "wow" non-pejoratively at some point during nintendo's conference. I'm pretty confident it'll happen.

Roo

What he means is, people can barely tell a High end PC game from a 360 game as it is, and the difference will likely be comparable.

Well, without nitpicking... I can't tell the difference between PC and PS360 games
so I'm sure Nintendo and Wii U will be just fine

Definitely the former as nordique's post showed. But here is an example of what I am talking about. Nordique's recent post prompted me to look up some comparison videos. Now there are some things that some, if not most of us can notice, but that's when you ask yourself, "How big of a deal will it be?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WGGCFj7Dk

This person has some other videos like that as well.

An E3 showing of UE4 on Wii U would be pretty earth shattering.

I just hope I say "wow" non-pejoratively at some point during nintendo's conference. I'm pretty confident it'll happen.

OH you'll say wow alright, as a direct result of conference content or gaf shenanigans only time will tell :D

Terrell

Sorry BP, if people don't care about mutant orange Reggie for 3 pages, I feel bringing up the A-Word in this thread again is more than justified.

I've been one of the few on the board predicting that after the Wii U this actually happens, but I see a joint venture where both have input.

Exactly.

As similar as people think Nintendo and Apple are in philosophies, they are simply not compatible on any level.
They run things very differently.
Apple is all about the free access to every part of their system while Nintendo is very controlling

Wait, WHA-
No they're not.

OK, never mind, I see Ace's statement has been covered.

I've been saying it for awhile now, but I feel like it's MUCH more likely that apple will partner with an existing player in the video game industry in order to create a digital platform for apps and itunes. The apple TV flopped horribly compared to the popularity of other apple products. I don't see apple having much interest at all in the development of high budget, expensive video games. Their bread and butter is in apps, media distribution, and cheap games. I don't think they'll stray too far from that.

If apple ever does enter the console scene, I see them trying to merge the capabilities of the apple tv with whatever console manufacturer they partner with. I also think that while a nintendo partnership is highly unlikely, it's more likely than a Sony and MS partnership since they're both more directly rival companies. However, a nintendo partnership would probably also entail having select nintendo games show up on iOS, which nintendo would probably never do. All in all, valve is probably the most sensible partner, but I have no idea how feasible it would be for a company of valve's size to spearhead a brand new console.

Agree with everything but the bolded. Another platform is another platform, plain and simple. If there's no risk to making content on a platform because it'd technically be THEIRS in an Apple partnership, there's no risk of diminishing the brand. And it'd make investors happy.

That and Nintendo value games - Apple thinks they are worth less than dogshit. The only way I see Nintendo and Apple merging/working together is if Nintendo gets to control the games that come out, and that means the pricing. I would praise god/allah/buddha/bgassassin himself if App Store games had their prices hiked by at least 5 times.

I don't know whether a price hike would happen, but valuation would change if top-tier Nintendo stuff was suddenly present.
And to say Apple thinks games are worthless is a bit of a reach. They just don't put a higher value on them than any other app, which isn't a surprise given that they make multimedia utilities, not fixed-function devices.

This is what I had to say about it in the other thread:

If anything were to come of an Apple/Nintendo partnership, everyone in the thread is forgetting one important thing:

Apple wouldn't impose their design logic into a marketplace they don't understand. Also, some of you are talking like it would be a hostile takeover where they force Nintendo to do things Apple's way within their current - and limited - game ecosystem (which is an overly-common misconception that comes from a total lack of understanding of how Apple operates).

It's interesting to think about something like this happening:

- Nintendo's hardware/UI design teams get rolled into the Apple business, allowing improvements to things within iOS hardware/software (like scrapping Game Center for something Nintendo designs with hardware built to accommodate it, such as enabling SpotPass as a feature in iOS, Miis associated with Apple IDs and therefore added to iOS, etc.)

- Taking the Apple TV project and giving the "hobby" to Nintendo to do something AMAZING with it in the home console space, because WHY NOT, right? You could have a regular Apple TV and then a Nintendo gaming machine with Apple TV functions on top of gaming

- With internal development from Nintendo and 3rd-parties being managed by Apple instead (with industry guidance from Nintendo, of course), Nintendo gets more platforms to make content for and can go to a full-digital distribution, as they have no reason to be concerned about retailers with Apple having a good hold on its retail channels

- also, hardware margins become a non-issue, and with the device being just another wing of the Apple TV market, Nintendo can push for the 5-year life cycle you see in traditional consoles with possibilities for modest spec changes like internal storage and whatnot occurring in yearly intervals

There's other advantages here, but simply put, it'd let Nintendo keep being Nintendo under the guise of a strong brand and letting Apple find another track into home and mobile multimedia domination.

Truthfully, I still see it being unlikely, but having SpotPass on my iPhone, for instance, is a cool prospect.
Still, the more likely scenario would that Apple basically bakes iTunes Store syncing and iCloud into WiiU, and I doubt anyone would have an objection to that. Just another wing of their digital business that benefits both parties.

A certain site that you Go to for Nintendo news is reporting a rumour.
Square Enix may have worked some sort of deal with Nintendo to share a character that hasn't been seen in a long time for a game project....

I would love for the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix to warm to the point where they throw some true AAA exclusives our way. Damn, that'd be good..

It reminds me of what Iwata said about "filling in gaps" in their lineups where they don't have resources.
Basically, I always interpreted that quote as Nintendo bankrolling 3rd-party IPs that other companies haven't touched that Nintendo feels assured there would be a market for, one that Nintendo doesn't typically sell in. And due to Nintendo merely bankrolling them and letting these 3rd-parties use their resources to make them, Nintendo just takes a profit cut and everybody wins. Nintendo makes money, 3rd-parties make money and establish a user base for their content, with sequel or new IP money going completely into the 3rd-party's pocket.

I could see that being their strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom