• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's gonna be funny if everything looks VERY different from what we've seen.

I think the console itself will get a bit more defined with its own style (similar to how the Wii's design branding was like an SD card) and probably smaller, but I think the final controller will be almost exactly what was at E3. Well, looks-wise anyways. Maybe they switch to capacitive. But probably not.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What... guys, wait... what... right... what IF... they put a screen on the BACK too...

j1X1U.jpg

Thraktor

The controller will probably look almost exactly the same. The console could well look quite different, though, as what we've seen was probably just a box thrown together to have something to show at E3. The fact that they barely showed the physical design of the console itself during the presentation would indicate that it's not the final design.

Xun

It seems to me that the list is talking about far more than aesthetics. Apple-culture heavily encourages the idea that the latest model is the one you should want no matter what, regardless of how functional the previous model is. But hey, you know more about this than I do, I just strongly disagree that apple designs their products to last in consumer mindshare rather than intentionally putting out products that will be considered obsolete by their own marketing within the span of a year or so.

And yes, the 1st ipod looks incredibly outdated. I agree with what you're saying about their aesthetic design, but that old brick would look positively ancient today (as it should).

edit:
here's a non-gussied up pic of the original ipod
firstgeneration-ipod.jpg

fuckin...80s style, mirite?
I personally saw it relating more to the design, but I guess it could be viewed outside of design.

As for the first iPod considering it's over 10 years old I don't think it's that bad. But I must admit I'm a big fan of retro looking design.

Also in speaking of Apple and design this is worth checking out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0fe800C2CU

Are you an Apple fan? I can't tell.
The post was relating to Apple hence the 2 iPods.

I like Apple, but I am critical of a lot of what they do.

Guyver_V

According to the diagram Wii U is tri-band.
  • Fig. 18 Network Communication Module
  • Fig. 19 Controller Communication Module
  • Fig. 28 Terminal Communication Module
So the Network Module is probably using 802.11n (5GHz) or 802.11g (2.4Ghz), Controller Module which uses Bluetooth (2.4GHz), and Terminal Module uses a unique protocol (probably in the 60GHz range).

The Wii U controller will support normal/basic net browsing and youtubing, right?

I wanted to buy an android tablet(strictly for homeuse) but will save my money now as I will get (hopefully) all that with the Wii U controller.

note that I just want to browse the internet and watch some youtube vids. nothing else. I don't care for multitouch, flash, apps and stuff

The Wii U controller will support normal/basic net browsing and youtubing, right?

I wanted to buy an android tablet(strictly for homeuse) but will save my money now as I will get (hopefully) all that with the Wii U controller.

note that I just want to browse the internet and watch some youtube vids. nothing else. I don't care for multitouch, flash, apps and stuff

It is likely, yes.
But not anywhere besides the room that the system is in.

It is likely, yes.
But not anywhere besides the room that the system is in.

thanks, that's all I wanted to hear. I'm cool with the "in the same room as the console"-thing.
I just don't want to get my lazy ass off the couch to the PC everytime I want to check something on wiki or watch something stupid on youtube :p

Antagon

According to the diagram Wii U is tri-band.
  • Fig. 18 Network Communication Module
  • Fig. 19 Controller Communication Module
  • Fig. 28 Terminal Communication Module
So the Network Module is probably using 802.11n (5GHz) or 802.11g (2.4Ghz), Controller Module which uses Bluetooth (2.4GHz), and Terminal Module uses a unique protocol (probably in the 60GHz range).

802.11n is actually mentioned as the protocol for the connection between the Wii U pad (terminal) and the console. Check page 12, section 144.

Thraktor

802.11n is actually mentioned as the protocol for the connection between the Wii U pad (terminal) and the console. Check page 12, section 144.

Well, it's mentioned as an example of what protocol could be used for transmitting data to the Wii U pad. That's not to say that it's what they'll use, but it's a possibility.

The section on transferring image data to the Wii U pad is no. 78:

[0078] The game device 3 can exchange data such as images and sounds with the terminal device 7. When transmitting games images (terminal game images) to the terminal device 7, the input/output processor 11a outputs data of game images generated by the GPU 11b to the codec LSI 27. The codec LSI 27 performs a predetermined compression process on the image data from the input/output processor 11a. The terminal communication module 28 wirelessly communicated with the terminal device 7. Therefore, image data compressed by the codec LSI 27 is transmitted by the terminal communication module 28 to the terminal device 7 via the antenna 29. In the present example embodiment, the image data transmitted from the game device 3 to the terminal device 7 is image data used in the game, and the playability of a game can be adversely influenced if there is a delay in the images displayed in the game. Therefore, it is preferred to eliminate delay as much as possible for the transmission of image data from the game device 3 to the terminal device 7. Therefore, in the present embodiment, the codec LSI 37 compresses image data using a compression technique with high efficiency such as the H.264 standard, for example. Other compression techniques may be used, and image data may be transmitted uncompressed if the communication speed is sufficient. The terminal communication module 28 is, for example, a Wi-Fi certified communication module, and may perform wireless communication at high speed with the terminal device 7 using a MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) technique employed in the IEEE 802.11n standard, for example, or may use other communication schemes.

Notice all the "for example"s. The only thing which confuses me is the reference of encoding in H.264 as a way to reduce the lag in the image data. I'm not aware of any implementation of H.264 that can encode and decode the image without adding any perceptible lag (although that's not to say one doesn't exist).

Pocks

Nintendo uses iGware for it's online services
Acer buys iGware, hints at collaboration [Electronista]
Acer unveils AcerCloud at CES [PC World]

Not really a new development, but it's good to see that Acer is continuing to develop it's cloud services. I hope the cloud is heavily implemented into the Wii U.

Nintendo invests in a lot of things that they'll likely never use (Holographic Storage).
They're an odd company.

Not saying that Cloud on the Wii U isn't possible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

it would be great if Wii U has a system UI kinda like the new Xbox Dashboard, but one that lets you customize which apps you see under specific categories. I really don't like how MS makes me have to see Hulu, FIOS, etc under videos, when I don't use those services. At that point they become adds and thus XBL should be cost that much less on the consumer end. So please Nintendo let me customize Wii U's user interface.

disap.ed

BTW, I hope the WiiU LOGO will be embossed/sunken on the final model, not just printed on. Would look much classier (also it is too big in it's current form).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It won't get smaller.

Wii got smaller, and it wasn't even playable when it was first shown. I think Nintendo could definitely shrink it up some, and as Ace said, doing so is in Nintendo's best interests.

Mostly though I hope the Wii U gets its own design language, like the Wii's was an SD card. The Wii U console looks pretty boring right now, even compared to the Wii.

Also seeing that black/red mockup makes me think Nintendo could easily differentiate it by switching the slot color to something else. Red would be OK and would actually be a subconscious signal that the console was more "hardcore." Besides that, of the three Nintendo is most closely identified with red. Xbox has green and PlayStation 2 and 3 sort of had black.

Truth101

Banned
Wii got smaller, and it wasn't even playable when it was first shown. I think Nintendo could definitely shrink it up some, and as Ace said, doing so is in Nintendo's best interests.

Mostly though I hope the Wii U gets its own design language, like the Wii's was an SD card. The Wii U console looks pretty boring right now, even compared to the Wii.

Also seeing that black/red mockup makes me think Nintendo could easily differentiate it by switching the slot color to something else. Red would be OK and would actually be a subconscious signal that the console was more "hardcore."
Its already small enough. What makes it look larger is its form factor, that is what needs to change.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Its already small enough. What makes it look larger is its form factor, that is what needs to change.

Sort of true. It's a bit thicker and much longer than the Wii though, and that's like right at the edge of my console size comfort zone. I do agree with you in general though. Size isn't the main issue, in fact it'll still probably be smaller than the other two.

disap.ed

It won't get smaller.

I meant the logo ;)

Also seeing that black/red mockup makes me think Nintendo could easily differentiate it by switching the slot color to something else. Red would be OK and would actually be a subconscious signal that the console was more "hardcore." Besides that, of the three Nintendo is most closely identified with red. Xbox has green and PlayStation 2 and 3 sort of had black.

And we know from PS3 launch that blue leds are more expensive than red ones! Just joking...

Sort of true. It's a bit thicker and much longer than the Wii though, and that's like right at the edge of my console size comfort zone. I do agree with you in general though. Size isn't the main issue, in fact it'll still probably be smaller than the other two.

I can't see any scenario where Loop or the PS4 is smaller than the WiiU. If either tries to even get to the halfway mark from their last console you are looking at a console the size of the WiiU. Bigger or smaller depending on a whole host of factors. To get that "next gen" feel some want you're probably going to need a case the size of the first model PS3, maybe even OG Xbox, if any of them go really crazy on power. Something sizable.

WiiU will probably end up slightly larger when all is said and done, or they'll use a die shrink for some of their parts. I've always liked the look of the console. I hope they don't change too much. Maybe color.

royalan

Why do people want the Wii U to get smaller? It's already not that much larger than Wii.

I remember when Iwata made the "3 dvd cases, and we're trying to make it smaller" comment was when the boards I was posting on at the time starting freaking out about how weak the Wii was going to be. Before any supposed specs or game screens. And we ended up being right.

Sure, size doesn't have to equate to power...but unless Nintendo is going to use some small, relatively cool and expensive parts out of the gate (doubtful), people should want this thing to be huge at launch.

If anything, I'm hoping for a larger case at the E3 re-unveil. This machine needs to be closer to the 720/PS4 than the PS360.

BurntPork

Banned

The second smallest console in history (not counting revisions) is on the edge of your comfort zone?

gogojira

I agree, the silver one wins. Reminds my of my platinum Cube. I'm sure Nintendo will only release in white and if we're lucky black, but silver would be nice.

Wii U needs a color that never came out for the Wii to make it clear to the market that its new hardware

I don't mind the silver but bring back NES gray for Pokemon Gray WiiU / 3DS connectivity edition
3AQmK.gif

IrishNinja

Not how it works at all...

mostly true, but i bet MS would've allowed more room in their early 360's for the GPU (or you know, heatsinks).

doesn't it kind of confirm that the WiiU will come packed with the Wiimote as well?

i'm not seeing that, but i was kind've assuming that was the case. maybe not though, depending on how much the system costs & how much the tablet controller runs them.

what im most interested in hearing about is classic controller support, personally - i want the tablet for games built around it, but it doesn't look ideal for some genres.

either way, you know, i'm loving my 3DS and it's not like E3 is all that far off anyw

Also made a small edit to the design

Special Gold Zelda Edition
6YeWH.png

FUCK
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME HERE MAN

god i want to submit that sexy image to n4g just to see what happens

Rolf NB

DCKing said:
Though it sounds like a neat idea, 802.11's handshaking, reconnecting, frame management and the likes are entirely unsuitable for lagless picture streaming and are of no use to Nintendo. This is not something Nintendo can work around and stay compatible with standard WLAN out there.

All Nintendo needs is a specialized radio. No need for all this high speed WLAN stuff. All they need is the Wii U sending out raw image data, and the Upad have them decode them. No frame management, no handshaking, nothing.
Of course it's preferable to just display garbled data when the fridge compressor starts up, lose connections left and right when a bus full of cell phone users drives by, and spend extra money to develop a redundant protocol. Why error-correct your data, retransmit lost packets, dynamically change frequency channels and generally stay connected. Nintendo doesn't need any of that!

Some of you guys, seriously.

monome

thanks, that's all I wanted to hear. I'm cool with the "in the same room as the console"-thing.
I just don't want to get my lazy ass off the couch to the PC everytime I want to check something on wiki or watch something stupid on youtube :p

Browsing on a tablet that uses a stylus and is heavier and less inclined to be used in portrait mode because of its ergonomics and requires the console to be running should not discourage you from getting a cheap android tablet.
Thats not WiiU trolling but go take a long at the WiiUmote pictures and start consider using it instead of a Kindle Fire or something even cheaper.

I'll get a WiiU a anyway but I think nextgen is gonna be about too many screens in my living room, just like I already have too many controllers/zappers.

Browsing on a tablet that uses a stylus and is heavier and less inclined to be used in portrait mode because of its ergonomics and requires the console to berunning should not discourage you from getting a cheap android tablet.

uhm well, but it does
if the Wii U is anything like the 3DS(sleep mode) I won't ever turn it off anyway.
also: stylus > finger(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom