• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCKing

Of course it's preferable to just display garbled data when the fridge compressor starts up, lose connections left and right when a bus full of cell phone users drives by, and spend extra money to develop a redundant protocol. Why error-correct your data, retransmit lost packets, dynamically change frequency channels and generally stay connected. Nintendo doesn't need any of that!

Some of you guys, seriously.
You make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. I do. A stream of images does not have the same requirements as generic data. No, it doesn't even need any concept of a 'connection' in many cases. No need to be so condescending.

Ironically for me 802.11n is involved in the the Upad patent. Is it used to transmit the video?

monome

uhm well, but it does
if the Wii U is anything like the 3DS(sleep mode) I won't ever turn it off anyway.
also: stylus > finger(s)

The WiiU needs the mother of all craddles because the controller is huge ass.
Stylus means no double pinching to zoom and other niceties.

I'd like to have ONE screen, but I already have a little tablet and I can tell WiUmote as last shown is no competitor to it, it is a different thing.

From my Palm Pda days ti iPhone transition, I cannot even consider moving back to stylus.

Somnid

The WiiU needs the mother of all craddles because the controller is huge ass.
Stylus means no double pinching to zoom and other niceties.

I'd like to have ONE screen, but I already have a little tablet and I can tell WiUmote as last shown is no competitor to it, it is a different thing.

From my Palm Pda days ti iPhone transition, I cannot even consider moving back to stylus.

It probably will have a cradle, looking at the bottom it's designed to charge that way.

Also kinda funny you mention pinch-to-zoom. It's actually a very awkward interaction due to the way the muscles in your hand work but it necessitated by a lack of buttons in modern touch devices. Why not use L and R to zoom? Or since a stylus lets you reduce the area of interaction, put a zoom button on the interface in question?

Thraktor

You make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. I do. A stream of images does not have the same requirements as generic data. No, it doesn't even need any concept of a 'connection' in many cases. No need to be so condescending.

Ironically for me 802.11n is involved in the the Upad patent. Is it used to transmit the video?

It mentions 802.11n as an example of a wireless standard that could be used for transmitting images to the Wii U Pad in section 78:

The terminal communication module 28 is, for example, a Wi-Fi certified communication module, and may perform wireless communication at high speed with the terminal device 7 using a MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output) technique employed in the IEEE 802.11n standard, for example, or may use other communication schemes.

I wouldn't read too much into it, though. Patents are written to be as general as possible, which usually means citing the most commonly used technology for any given example, therefore 802.11 for wireless communication, H.264 for video compression, etc.

monome

It probably will have a cradle, looking at the bottom it's designed to charge that way.

Also kinda funny you mention pinch-to-zoom. It's actually a very awkward interaction due to the way the muscles in your hand work but it necessitated by a lack of buttons in modern touch devices. Why not use L and R to zoom? Or since a stylus lets you reduce the area of interaction, put a zoom button on the interface in question?

To each is own, but simply the back of the WiiUmote turns me off the idea of using it in portrait mode, and stylus...well I know what I want and what I don't but I'm opened to a good surprise!

And seriously, a Nintendo WiiUmote cradle? it will look horrendous when the pad is not resting on it and will require having two electric plugs taken by one console (or the always-on mode for WiiU will allow usb charging?). It will be much bigger than the 3DS one, and will hardly be unnoticeable.
I'm really not sold on the idea of a Nintendo one, of course Nyko or others will do something.

I'll charge the WiiUmote with a usb port from my mac (if given the option).

Thraktor

I meant to say volume.

And yes, Wii U is smaller in volume than Gamecube.

GameCube: 159.8 in^3
Wii U: 128.5 in^3

It's closer to the Gamecube than the Wii, though (and given the amount of space taken up in the Gamecube by the expansion ports on the bottom and enormous disk drive on top, there's almost certainly quite a bit more space in the Wii U for heat dissipation).

Anyway, I don't know what the point of talking about the size of the console and how that relates to its "power" when we most likely know more about the hardware in the console than we do about the final box it's going to be contained in.

Somnid

To each is own, but simply the back of the WiiUmote turns me off the idea of using it in portrait mode, and stylus...well I know what I want and what I don't but I'm opened to a good surprise!

And seriously, a Nintendo WiiUmote cradle? it will look horrendous when the pad is not resting on it and will require having two electric plugs taken by one console (or the always-on mode for WiiU will allow usb charging?). It will be much bigger than the 3DS one, and will hardly be unnoticeable.
I'm really not sold on the idea of a Nintendo one, of course Nyko or others will do something.

I'll charge the WiiUmote with a usb port from my mac (if given the option).

Well I don't expect portrait to be the most used orientation, kinda like DS book-mode.

The cradle could be AC (in which case it doesn't need to be in the same place as the console) or more likely USB (in any case third party accessory manufacturers will make both). Wii has persistent powered USB ports so I don't expect Wii U to be different in that regard especially with the requirement on the Wii U remote.

I don't really understand why it'd look bad though. It'd be like any iPad cradle. And the only time the controller isn't in it would be when you're using it. Do you usually do home decorating analysis while playing games?

monome

Well I don't expect portrait to be the most used orientation, kinda like DS book-mode.

The cradle could be AC (in which case it doesn't need to be in the same place as the console) or more likely USB (in any case third party accessory manufacturers will make both). Wii has persistent powered USB ports so I don't expect Wii U to be different in that regard especially with the requirement on the Wii U remote.

I don't really understand why it'd look bad though. It'd be like any iPad cradle. And the only time the controller isn't in it would be when you're using it. Do you usually do home decorating analysis while playing games?

Contrary to ipad, the cradle would be landscape mode, and certainly look like an oversized 3DS one. Portrait mode is killed by the recess on the back to allow a stronger grip. No 90 degrees cradle, no way. and having the buttons and sticks on the sides will make t look like shit if a way around is found.

I feel the WiiUmote is meant to be on the Coffee table, thus AC recharging is a no-no.
Let's not derail the thread, but to me at least WiiUmote as last seen neither has the form factor nor the specs to make me let go of dedicated tablet. I'm ready for when the times comes I have as many screen things as remotes (so far I have a Kindle, and a tablet laying around + phone + 3DS and the eventual VITA) which is too much and will require some proper furniture rethinking in order to hide the mess while keeping stuff easy to access.

I thought of a cool name for the Upad/uPad:

Utile

(means useful, and is a 'tile' shape)

Sounds like a new Ubisoft peripheral...

Somnid

Contrary to ipad, the cradle would be landscape mode, and certainly look like an oversized 3DS one.

I feel the WiiUmote is meant to be on the Coffee table, thus AC recharging is a no-no.
Let's not derail the thread, but to me at least WiiUmote as last seen neither has the form factor nor the specs to make me let go of dedicated tablet. I'm ready for when the times comes I have as many screen things as remotes (so far I have a Kindle, and a tablet laying around + phone + 3DS and the eventual VITA) which is too much and will require some proper furniture rethinking in order to hide the mess while keeping stuff easy to access.

It'd be held a 90 degrees though so it wouldn't look like the 3DS one.

And I don't think Wii U is supposed to make people give up a dedicated tablet but I'm sure for many who don't have a tablet it will probably make them procrastinate on getting one.

BurntPork

Banned
Stop being smart! I liked it better when you were dumb.

I'm smart for knowing elementary school math?

It's closer to the Gamecube than the Wii, though (and given the amount of space taken up in the Gamecube by the expansion ports on the bottom and enormous disk drive on top, there's almost certainly quite a bit more space in the Wii U for heat dissipation).

Anyway, I don't know what the point of talking about the size of the console and how that relates to its "power" when we most likely know more about the hardware in the console than we do about the final box it's going to be contained in.

Nintendo's more likely to reduce the power to fit in the box than they are to make it bigger, so it is an important point. That said, that's not what we were arguing over. Besides that, you're not taking into account the fact that Wii U has a larger optical drive and more ports to offset some of the extra space over the GameCube. At best, they have the same amount of space. That isn't going to cut it anymore. It limits them by a ridiculous amount, plain and simple.

Rolf NB

Video data is no less generic than any other data. Do you need IP networking and Wifi to stream video from a DLNA server? No. But you do it anyway. Because you'd be an idiot if you invented entirely new protocols instead of relying on working, established technology that already solved all your problems years ago.

Absolutely no irony at play here.

monome

I'm smart for knowing elementary school math?

thanks for my peace of mind! I didn't dare say it but calculating a volume is hardly a task for someone who can use a keyboard and mouse...

I'm enjoying the man-love anyway, so keep going at it guys. no new WiiU info on the horizon.

Thraktor

Nintendo's more likely to reduce the power to fit in the box than they are to make it bigger, so it is an important point.

Eh, what? Care to back that claim up in any way whatsoever?

That said, that's not what we were arguing over. Besides that, you're not taking into account the fact that Wii U has a larger optical drive and more ports to offset some of the extra space over the GameCube. At best, they have the same amount of space. That isn't going to cut it anymore. It limits them by a ridiculous amount, plain and simple.

The disc drive in the Gamecube takes up a huge part of the console. Seriously, take one apart, it's far bigger volume-wise than the disc drive in the Wii. Assuming the Wii U's drive is the same standard slot-loading laptop drive size, it'll be a lot smaller than the Gamecube's as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Video data is no less generic than any other data. Do you need IP networking and Wifi to stream video from a DLNA server? No. But you do it anyway. Because you'd be an idiot if you invented entirely new protocols instead of relying on working, established technology that already solved all your problems years ago.

Absolutely no irony at play here.
You most definitely don't need IP for streaming video in a local network of canned and/or address-less topology. Technically, you don't even need a digital protocol with sophisticated error correction, as analog over-the-air broadcast television has shown over the course of the past 50 years. And no, interferences from neighbor networks is not much of an issue in the mm spectrum due to the natural limitations of the wavelength; you can have a EHF-based NTSC "broadcast station" in your living room if you really wanted to.

Rolf NB

You most definitely don't need IP for streaming video in a local network of canned and/or address-less topology. Technically, you don't even need a digital protocol with sophisticated error correction, as analog over-the-air broadcast television has shown over the course of the past 50 years. And no, interferences from neighbor networks is not much of an issue in the mm spectrum due to the natural limitations of the wavelength; you can have a EHF-based NTSC "broadcast station" in your living room if you really wanted to.
Greatly looking forward to bending my Wii U pad antenna when the connection broadcast gets flaky.

blu

Greatly looking forward to bending my Wii U pad antenna when the connection broadcast gets flaky.
Don't worry, rumor has it nintendo might outdo themselves this time and go digital. Maybe even use a *gasp* data link layer ; )

ugoo18

First (I think) Wii-U spotting at CES

Ait_jRiCMAAgOVF.jpg

royalan

That's definitely the Wii U, fundamentally unchanged from it's for at last E3 (and not smaller, thank god).

But I don't think it's a good sign that the uPad is still tethered...

Rolf NB

Don't worry, rumor has it nintendo might outdo themselves this time and go digital. Maybe even use a *gasp* data link layer ; )
Well then here's the prediction:
Wii U <=> tablet comms will be Wifi-based. There will be identifiable standard Wifi chips (or licensed Wifi IP built into a SoC) and PHYs. Amps and antennas will conform to Wifi requirements. And there'll be a full IP stack beneath it.

The most Nintendo will add to its version of Wifi is a proprietary encryption layer to thwart packet interception. A little twist, just like Microsoft's little twist on USB. Though they probably don't even need to do that. Display data scrambling would be for privacy, not for security, and standard Wifi encryption is good enough for privacy.

FyreWulff

That's definitely the Wii U, fundamentally unchanged from it's for at last E3 (and not smaller, thank god).

But I don't think it's a good sign that the uPad is still tethered...

Dev kits/early versions of the consoles always have tethered controllers. The Wiimote was tethered as well before retail.

FyreWulff

Not the biggest techie, but based on the theoretical hardware the Wii U will have, is that casing large enough to support it without all the overheating issues the first gen 360 had?

The 360's large size is in due in part to the included HDD bay, and still using a tray loading drive.

guek

Banned
Indeed, someone could just grab it and run off with it.

You know...I AM a resident of Las Vegas...my roommate drew up some fake business cards and pay stubs so we could con our way in but have since decided not to go because we don't want to ditch class

but...hmm...

blu

Wii U <=> tablet comms will be Wifi-based. There will be identifiable standard Wifi chips (or licensed Wifi IP built into a SoC) and PHYs. Amps and antennas will conform to Wifi requirements. And there'll be a full IP stack beneath it.

The most Nintendo will add to its version of Wifi is a proprietary encryption layer to thwart packet interception. A little twist, just like Microsoft's little twist on USB. Though they probably don't even need to do that. Display data scrambling would be for privacy, not for security, and standard Wifi encryption is good enough for privacy.
If it's about predictions, I think the tablet will use some of the wireless HD video standards (WHDI, WirelessHD) with a twist or two.

DCKing

Huh is that a demo for Wii U?
Could be part of the 'Downtown' demo that was only behind closed doors at E3, but of which reports said it had the best graphics. It can also just be a demo DVD or something, with the Wii U not even connected.
I'm sorry, but on what authority are you saying this? Wifi based hardware is way more complicated, expensive and power demanding than what is strictly necessary to get video streaming done. It will also definitely not conform to Wifi requirements to evade interference with regular networks.

guek

Banned
I don't think that Wii U is even plugged in.

well there's no way to know that really, but there are cables coming out of the console to god knows were.

And is that a sensor bar I see in front of the tv?

I'm probably with you though, I don't think what's on the tv is coming from the wii u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom