• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

TriGen

Can't see this happening.. Pikmin 3 will be most likely their big flagship title. And Mario 2D will be for 3DS.

But if this happens, I'm with you.

I'm relly curious what other exclusive will be in the launch window, it won't just be Pikmin 3, I'm not saying something huge like Mario but a Kirby game or just having some other franchise that is on Nintendo consoles like Harvest Moon or something. Nintendo will want to have at least 3 games you can't buy for anything else in the launch window, even if there not huge games, because exclusives are their thing.

darthdago

P9bhV.jpg

but serious. everything cool is in the OP.

Haha, I missed only the last 30 pages or so...

Thanks for answering!!

HylianTom

Banned
Good question.
I can see them raising the price to 360/PS3 standarts. The outrage will be delicious.

Yes, I think games will get more expensive.

I tend to think so, too.

But Nintendo is also pretty good at pricing things appropriately. For example.. $30 for Rhythm Heaven Fever? Hell yes!

That's the problem I have. And to be more specific now that I think about it, because of that they won't calibrate correctly. They look fine, but once the game is on things move in the direction the controller is off at. I still have my original plus three 3rd party controllers. My Hybrid Heaven (which needs a sequel IMO) has been neglected for too long. :(

Have you thought about just replacing the stick instead of buying a whole new controller?

http://www.nesrepairshop.com/online_shopping/index.php?productID=381

NeoRausch

They were Nintendo Select titles at that point though.

I am REALLY interrested at sales of the standalone Wii Sport-Version in Europe and US. Who bought that? People who lost the game or bought a used Wii without that game?
Wasn't it packed in with almost every wii. even mario bundels and the like had it.

I tend to think so, too.

But Nintendo is also pretty good at pricing things appropriately. For example.. $30 for Rhythm Heaven Fever? Hell yes!
because they (most of the time) stay at that price FOREVER. *looks at mario kart ds*

I do think that they do need to have this thing come with something, whether that be a tech demo game or some apps. What they did last gen with Wii Sports was a great move at a very small expense.

Nintendo won't hold at $50 for the same reason Microsoft didn't hold at $50: because third parties think it's unfair.

And if they think it's unfair that Perfect Dark Zero is $10 less than Oblivion, then they are going just flatout refuse to develop for a system where New Super Mario Bros. 3 is $10 less than Max Payne 3.

AntMurda

Can't see this happening.. Pikmin 3 will be most likely their big flagship title. And Mario 2D will be for 3DS.

But if this happens, I'm with you.

Pikmin is not guaranteed by any means to make launch. Launch window sure, but not launch. And while it is a great core title for critics and praise, the sales have never been in the higher tier of intellectual properties.

Wiseblade

So what do you guys do in this thread? Is this the right place to come and get mocked if I think that controller based asymmetrical multiplayer is flawed and that need to be able to support two screened controllers to come anywhere close to Nintendo's expectations?

Nintendo won't hold at $50 for the same reason Microsoft didn't hold at $50: because third parties think it's unfair.

And if they think it's unfair that Perfect Dark Zero is $10 less than Oblivion, then they are going just flatout refuse to develop for a system where New Super Mario Bros. 3 is $10 less than Max Payne 3.

This and unlike Microsoft, Nintendo already has a stigma with Third parties as hogging all the sales and limelight. Having their games 10 dollars less would not be of benefit in getting third parties on board or in quelling that stigma.

thefro

I'm relly curious what other exclusive will be in the launch window, it won't just be Pikmin 3, I'm not saying something huge like Mario but a Kirby game or just having some other franchise that is on Nintendo consoles like Harvest Moon or something. Nintendo will want to have at least 3 games you can't buy for anything else in the launch window, even if there not huge games, because exclusives are their thing.

They really need:

- A couple "hardcore" franchises (brand-new or new to Nintendo consoles), at least one of which can stand toe to toe with Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc.
- A couple games from existing Nintendo IPs
- A couple games that target the expanded audience and make neat use of the tablet.

Basically they're going to need some exclusives to convince the core gamers who aren't Nintendo fans to buy this.

NeoRausch

This and unlike Microsoft, Nintendo already has a stigma with Third parties as hogging all the sales and limelight. Having their games 10 dollars less would not be of benefit in getting third parties on board or in quelling that stigma.

sad but true.

in any other industrie the third parties would try to match nintendos prices. but oh well.

So what do you guys do in this thread? Is this the right place to come and get mocked if I think that controller based asymmetrical multiplayer is flawed and that need to be able to support two screened controllers to come anywhere close to Nintendo's expectations?

In what ways do you think it's flawed? also I have to say that while asymmetrical multi is a novel idea it's definitely not something I want to see used a lot.

MisterHero

Those companies that think they can both charge $60 and have Day 1 DLC can go to hell.

At the very most, either a complete $60 game or a $50 game with Day-1 (or later) DLC.

At least with Nintendo games before the Wii U (when they themselves might support DLC) I could feel like their games were complete.

Conor 419

Banned
Wont the lineup simply be.

Pikmin 3
Retro Title
U - Whatever

+ Third Party Titles

If I were Nintendo, I'd advertise the free to play Ghost Recon: Online as being 'in the box'. Meaning that even the most rudimentary Wii U bundle will come with the standard pack in title and GR:O for the hardcore.

TriGen

They really need:

- A couple "hardcore" franchises (brand-new or new to Nintendo consoles), at least one of which can stand toe to toe with Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc.
- A couple games from existing Nintendo IPs
- A couple games that target the expanded audience and make neat use of the tablet.

Basically they're going to need some exclusives to convince the core gamers who aren't Nintendo fans to buy this.

This is what I'm most curious about, how many Nintendo exclusive games will be available in the launch window to convince people that they nee to upgrade from a 360 to the Wii U instead of just waiting till the other consoles launch. I said in the last thread if someone is pumped for something like Darksiders 2 and they own a PS3/360 they aren't going to be tempted to spend an extra 300-400$ on a game they can get on their "old" consoles.

Nintendo needs some tempting exclusives available in the launch window, so someone has an excuse to upgrade, then once that person picks up the Wii U for that one or two exclusives they want they will then buy third party games for their Wii U and not their PS3/360.

Wiseblade

In what ways do you think it's flawed? also I have to say that while asymmetrical multi is a novel idea it's definitely not something I want to see used a lot.

I just think it's restrictive to developers and makes the console a harder sell when multiple people are going to be using it at the same time. I feel like there are only so many things you can do with local multiplayer when only one person gets to have the "good controller". Then there's the risk that some parents may skip the Wii U to avoid Christmas Day arguments between their children about who gets to use said controller. Granted the second is pretty trivial, but it's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take if I called the shots.

I just think it's restrictive to developers and makes the console a harder sell when multiple people are going to be using it at the same time. I feel like there are only so many things you can do with local multiplayer when only one person gets to have the "good controller". Then there's the risk that some parents may skip the Wii U to avoid Christmas Day arguments between their children about who gets to use said controller. Granted the second is pretty trivial, but it's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take if I called the shots.

Well there have been rumors that they've already upped the amount of wii u pads to 2 at the least from what I remember from the first thread, so that probably wont be a problem.

Nintendo is definitely gonna need a proven system seller at launch and more ammo some time in the launch window. I argued this before but momentum is everything. You can't rely on 3rd party games available elsewhere and ubisoft garbage to push your game out.

Even though Ace argued it before, the only proven system seller I can think of is some mario game of some sort. I say some sort because I'm not saying they'll have a big one prepared, it could be a NSMB-esque version they just threw together. None of their other proven system sellers would likely be ready for launch/launch window.

But they need something for sure.

I know Nintendo is talking a big game about how they realize launch lineups are important and blah blah blah, but don't be surprised if it's still pretty lackluster and there aren't big or even kinda-big games in the launch window.

Game development alongside hardware development is a pain and, while the port-ability from other consoles is good for third parties making other console games, that doesn't mean a lot of good original games are going to float to the surface early on.

In addition, a good launch lineup is not necessarily...useful. I mean, it helps more than it hurts, obviously, but if Pikmin 3 isn't ready for the main stage this Fall, it ain't comin' out. Look at the Vita, where people will swear up and down that its launch lineups is one of the best ever. That "fact" isn't really helping that console much at all.

Basically, don't get your hopes up about a Pikmin 3 or a Retro title or a new Mario game. Assassin's Creed III may very well be the best game at launch.

Kjellson

Just had a dream about E3 2012. The conference was shit and Reggie was replaced by a short red-haired guy who looked like a leprechaun. He ended it with "but before you leave blabla Retro Studios", everyone in the audience cheered and I woke up.

TriGen

Nintendo is definitely gonna need a proven system seller at launch and more ammo some time in the launch window. I argued this before but momentum is everything. You can't rely on 3rd party games available elsewhere and ubisoft garbage to push your game out.

Even though Ace argued it before, the only proven system seller I can think of is some mario game of some sort. I say some sort because I'm not saying they'll have a big one prepared, it could be a NSMB-esque version they just threw together. None of their other proven system sellers would likely be ready for launch/launch window.

But they need something for sure.

I don't know about Mario, but your right. Nintendo can't expect games available for other older systems to sell their new system. I personally think Nintendo knows this. Third party support is important for console longevity but it doesn't create the install base, exclusives do.

I know Nintendo is talking a big game about how they realize launch lineups are important and blah blah blah, but don't be surprised if it's still pretty lackluster and there aren't big or even kinda-big games in the launch window.

Game development alongside hardware development is a pain and, while the port-ability from other consoles is good for third parties making other console games, that doesn't mean a lot of good original games are going to float to the surface early on.

In addition, a good launch lineup is not necessarily...useful. I mean, it helps more than it hurts, obviously, but if Pikmin 3 isn't ready for the main stage this Fall, it ain't comin' out. Look at the Vita, where people will swear up and down that its launch lineups is one of the best ever. That "fact" isn't really helping that console much at all.

Basically, don't get your hopes up about a Pikmin 3 or a Retro title or a new Mario game. Assassin's Creed III may very well be the best game at launch.
and if so they'll enjoy a disappointing launch and pretty much no momentum. Good luck convincing people to plop down almost 500 bucks for AC3 and a new console.

I just refuse to believe that they'll let another situation like that take place and get out of hand again. Either the pricing of the console has to be masterfully aggressive, or there has to be system sellers at launch/launch window (that aren't on other systems).

Also there is a difference between a good launch and a launch that includes "that" game. If the Vita launch included a monster hunter game, I use that as my example because it's the only system seller I can think of for them right now, lol, they would have sold plenty more at launch.

jacksrb

If I were Nintendo, I'd advertise the free to play Ghost Recon: Online as being 'in the box'. Meaning that even the most rudimentary Wii U bundle will come with the standard pack in title and GR:O for the hardcore.

I am also really curious a) what the monetary model for this game is and b) how integrated into Nintendo's marketing it will be. If the game is free or value priced (~$20), it will be interesting to see what the attach rate for the game is.

At my highest hopes we'd get NSMBM(with a better art style) and pikmin 3 at launch alongside a pack in game but realistically E3 is probably gonna be E3 2010 all over again with everything from launch to 2 years after being shown off and then the only difference between 3DS and Wii U launch maybe just maybe will be NSMBM ( with next to no changes from who it looked at E3 2011) at launch.

and if so they'll enjoy a disappointing launch and pretty much no momentum. Good luck convincing people to plop down almost 500 bucks for AC3 and a new console.

I just refuse to believe that they'll let another situation like that take place and get out of hand again. Either the pricing of the console has to be masterfully aggressive, or there has to be system sellers at launch/launch window (that aren't on other systems).

Also there is a difference between a good launch and a launch that includes "that" game. If the Vita launch included a monster hunter game, I use that as my example because it's the only system seller I can think of for them right now, lol, they would have sold plenty more at launch.

Yeah, but it didn't. Because those games take time and mastery of stable hardware. In-development systems rarely have either and almost never have both. Do you know when Vita kits were in some developers' hands? January of 2010, at least. That did not pay off in launch software.

The days of Miyamoto designing a game and designing the hardware to play that game are over. Now we'll get mostly locked-down devkits around a year before release and earnest game development can begin there. Then you'll get your Steel Divers, your Pilotwings, your "herp derp this is a port not a remake and I have an IQ of 70" Ocarina of Times.

Launches are shit now! We as an industry have to kind of learn to accept this.

cacildo

You know, its the first time it ocurred to me, but....

WiiU will allow 2 player co-op, in the same room.

For a bunch of game genres in which this was impossible before.

Like plataformers, RPGs, adventures, etc

(i bet people were already excited about this in WiiU Speculation Thread number 1, but i just got it!)

Yeah, but it didn't. Because those games take time and mastery of stable hardware. In-development systems rarely have either and almost never have both. Do you know when Vita kits were in some developers' hands? January of 2010, at least. That did not pay off in launch software.

The days of Miyamoto designing a game and designing the hardware to play that game are over. Now we'll get mostly locked-down devkits around a year before release and earnest game development can begin there. Then you'll get your Steel Divers, your Pilotwings, your "herp derp this is a port not a remake and I have an IQ of 70" Ocarina of Times.

I don't know, Nintendo is in the fortunate position of they themselves being the company that can deliver the system seller. Sony would have to rely on monster hunter from capcom to have a good launch, they didn't, and the launch wasn't so good. 3DS same deal, no system seller, no system sales. We saw the epic meltdown that lead to. Lack of momentum is a real killer. Hard to get out of that rut.

Nintendo has to rely on themselves. I'm just under the impression that they've used every sparing moment since they've had the earliest possible dev kit, to get something prepared for launch that would move consoles. I mean it would presumable have a 2+ year development time wouldn't it?

I do think overall the launch/launch window won't have many good games or incentive to get the console early, I bet the really good shit comes 6+ months later, but I think there will be at least that 1 thing to pull people in early, or at least as many as possible. That and Iwata keeps mentioning that they learned their lesson. I guess we'll see. It's not even that I'm such a crazy optimist that I think so, it's just that I simply can't believe they're willing to risk another 3DS moment again.

They really need:

- A couple "hardcore" franchises (brand-new or new to Nintendo consoles), at least one of which can stand toe to toe with Halo, Gears, Uncharted, etc.- A couple games from existing Nintendo IPs

Probably unnecessary. Third-party AAA titles like Assassin's Creed 3 and the latest Nintendo AAA game (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc.) will probably be enough. A brand-new IP would be great, but that's hardly a tipping point, imo.

I don't know, Nintendo is in the fortunate position of they themselves being the company that can deliver the system seller. Sony would have to rely on monster hunter from capcom to have a good launch, they didn't, and the launch wasn't so good. 3DS same deal, no system seller, no system sales. We saw the epic meltdown that lead to. Lack of momentum is a real killer. Hard to get out of that rut.

Nintendo has to rely on themselves. I'm just under the impression that they've used every sparing moment since they've had the earliest possible dev kit, to get something prepared for launch that would move consoles. I mean it would presumable have a 2+ year development time wouldn't it?

Wouldn't you have made that assumption about the 3DS, as well? And then we got Steel Diver.

Skyward Sword was an utterly massive project and that ended in the fall. They didn't start making their "3DS needed a strong launch" comments until around the same time. Assuming that

A) Skyward Sword ending freed up a lot of people
B) They went "...fuck, we need a really huge game, huh?" as part of the same realization that lead to the 3DS pricecut

We're talking about...a year, maybe? Possibly a little more? EAD Tokyo is clearly working on something, but they got sidetracked with 3D Land. Mario Kart is unlikely to hit the home console a year after the handheld version for many reasons.

Miyamoto said a while back that he was having trouble finding people to work on Pikmin 3 because everyone was tapped. Previous EAD-born games like Luigi's Mansion are being outsourced to Next Level (whom I really like, don't get me wrong). I am sure they have studios that aren't busy, but I am unsure that those studios are working on "that launch game."

MisterHero

The 3DS lauch was Nintendo's way of giving 3rd Parties room for their games.

I don't want a Nintendo-less launch this time.

Steel Diver and Pilotwings are alright launch titles to push the 3D but they weren't typical Nintendo games.

Alberto, I really don't think it's unreasonable to expect or hope for a "New Super Mario Bros." title at Wii U's launch. I seriously doubt it takes "hardware mastery" to pump out a game like that.

Miyamoto said a while back that he was having trouble finding people to work on Pikmin 3 because everyone was tapped. Previous EAD-born games like Luigi's Mansion are being outsourced to Next Level (whom I really like, don't get me wrong). I am sure they have studios that aren't busy, but I am unsure that those studios are working on "that launch game."
Well overall I'm not so much arguing that there will be one, I'm just arguing that they need one. I honestly can't see how Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed will sell consoles since people will much happily pay less (a LOT less) to play those games on systems they already own.

So basically if we use the logic you're presenting, we can safely assume that barring some sort of weird shift in consumer demand, Nintendo is pretty much fucked for their launch. That is once again, assuming their console isn't priced super low to offset the lack of original content.

It's a premise I just can't buy no matter how much sense, and how realistic it probably is. And I concede that what you're saying does make sense for the most part, and does sound about right. I just can't wrap my head around Nintendo doing that though. I think they'd rather throw together something, anything, that would get people to want to invest in Wii U early.

Keep in mind though I said the big game could be launch/launch window. Launch window is what 3 months? So there's that too. E3 y u so far.

Top Bottom