• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Nice work with the OP Ace :).

The text made me smile which is always welcome!

In other news, I picked up a pre-owned DS XL t'other day and OHMYGODTHESCREENSAREBEAUTIFUL!!! :eek: I got a tape measure out and was surprised at how small the measurement was to the screen that will be in the Wii U controller. It's got me really excited for the Wii U again as I think having a he-uge screen in the middle of the controller is going to be a whole load of fun! :D

Also, it made me appreciate the UI and eShop on the 3DS all the more. The DSi shop is pretty clunky in particular! If Nintendo can improve these aspects for the Wii U by the same amount they improved them from the DSi to the 3DS, if not more, we could have a nice, user friendly system to play with :). The rumour about the massive amount of o/s RAM has me pretty excited as I desire a console that has the equivalent of the DS/3DS sleep mode so I can just pick up the controller and bam, I'm playing a game. Given Iwata's comments about this I should be in luck! :)

[Rambling post, sorry, head hurt :(]

Jindujun

Neo Member
You know, its the first time it ocurred to me, but....

WiiU will allow 2 player co-op, in the same room.

For a bunch of game genres in which this was impossible before.

Like plataformers, RPGs, adventures, etc

(i bet people were already excited about this in WiiU Speculation Thread number 1, but i just got it!)

Platformers, adventures and RPGs impossible to play co-op in the same room before?
I've played TONS of platformers co-op in the same room as someone else. RPGs like Secret of Mana series also supported co-op multiplayer so it's hardly something that was previously "impossible"

HylianTom

Banned
Alberto, I really don't think it's unreasonable to expect or hope for a "New Super Mario Bros." title at Wii U's launch. I seriously doubt it takes "hardware mastery" to pump out a game like that.

Yeah.. and they've been showing it for how long now?

NSMBWU at launch would be perhaps one of the biggest non-surprises of this launch.

Alberto, I really don't think it's unreasonable to expect or hope for a "New Super Mario Bros." title at Wii U's launch. I seriously doubt it takes "hardware mastery" to pump out a game like that.

What would NSMB Mii entail? If it's NSMB Wii with a Mii character for some reason and a few new levels, sure. That would not take long at all.

But if not, we have to make the assumption that either the NSMB team is making two big games at once or either NSMB Mii or the 3DS 2D Mario are being made by other teams.

Of course, I have yet to see evidence NSMB Mii exists, so...

AntMurda

Of course, I have yet to see evidence NSMB Mii exists, so...

Well. It is the only project with some surmountable evidence of existence.

1. HD prototype developed with 4 new levels and a new Mii feature
2. NSMBMii trademarks registered by Nintendo.
3. The team responsible for NSMB is in a logical cycle to release a game soon.

Everything else in comparison is vaporware.

Well. It is the only project with some surmountable evidence of existence.

1. HD prototype developed with 4 new levels and a new Mii feature
2. NSMBMii trademarks registered by Nintendo.
3. The team responsible for NSMB is in a logical cycle to release a game soon.

Everything else in comparison is vaporware.

Do you have a link to this trademark? Googling provides nothing, but I expect it to just be one of those things they trademarked (like !!M) that they are unlikely to actually bring to market.

Wouldn't the logical cycle coincide fairly nicely with the 2D 3DS Mario game they have already announced?

AntMurda

Do you have a link to this trademark? Googling provides nothing, but I expect it to just be one of those things they trademarked (like !!M) that they are unlikely to actually bring to market.

Neo posted it last year with a few other Nintendo Japan trademarks.

Wouldn't the logical cycle coincide fairly nicely with the 2D 3DS Mario game they have already announced?

Oh. There is a very sound possibility that NSMB Mii moved over to the 3DS. Absolutely. Iwata may have analyzed the 3DS fall line up as vacant and more in need of the title than the limited hardware shipments the Wii U will have this fall (making it easier to sell). Or maybe we have a dual platform game.. E3 will tell us.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Not really it's basic common sense it'll probably be a launch title. Nintendo making sure the launch is "good" this time meaning launch with important games off the bat and it's the most logical system seller. It'll probably use a similar name to the 3DS game but really the 3DS doesn't need a 2D mario yet, considering the systems selling reasonably fine with a Pokemon on the way. A 2D mario on the Wii U at or near launch is far more important. it would really quite silly if Nintendo decided to move that game over unless they were planning on putting it on both systems.

Conor 419

Banned
Most certainly. In fact, fuck it, yes it will be.

The way I see it is that there's absolutely no way it's not making launch, it's been in development for too long. If people realistically expect Pikmin 3 to not make launch then by their own logic, I imagine that they don't expect there to be any first party Wii U titles till 2014.

Anth0ny

I can't imagine the Wii U launch lineup as bad as the 3DS one.

Ass Creed 3 alone makes Wii U's launch lineup better than 3DS'.

I expect NSMB Mii at launch, and Pikmin during launch window. That's pretty solid right there.

An HD Zelda or Mario collection, or some kind of HD GC/Wii game would be welcome too.

Conor 419

Banned
Pikmin 3
Ghost Recon Online
Ass.Creed.Tri

That alone I consider to be a good launch. If GTAV, Resi 6 and co get involved then that's spectacular.

Pikmin 3
Ghost Recon Online
Ass.Creed.Tri

That alone I consider to be a good launch. If GTAV, Resi 6 and co get involved then that's spectacular.

This is likely to happen. Couple this with the possibility of a new F-ZERO/Waverace plus Retro's new game and hnnnnnggggghhhh.

You people are letting madness get the better of logic.

Since when did you become such a pessimist?

I mean, yeah, we're being a little slap-happy and circle-jerky around here, but a game like "New Super Mario Bros. Mii" will not prove impossible to make launch. NSMBMii (or something resembling it) will be in the launch lineup. Of that I am pretty confident. As previously stated, it's the only thing resembling a real work-in-progress (besides the Mii minigame demos) we've seen running on the Wii U hardware.

Conversely, Pikmin 3 has yet to make itself seen in any form. Somehow, I doubt it will make launch (if it ever does come out). Now, THAT I can understand taking a healthy dose of pessimism for.

AntMurda

Pikmin 3 has not been in development for five years.

Holy shit, thread.

Nintendo has mentioned several times they spend a significant amount of resources prototyping games. Small teams of 2-4 people working on projects.. for months.. for years.

It is different than games that are actually in production with 30-100 man people working on them.

I think this is the point most are missing when stating "Pikmin has been in development for 31 years".

Conor 419

Banned
Pikmin 3 has not been in development for five years.

Holy shit, thread.

Miyamoto announced that 'we're making Pikmin' in June 2008.

http://kotaku.com/5026096/miyamoto-were-making-pikmin

It is now 2012 - Four years later. Despite being four years later, some people are (questionably) not expecting Pikmin 3 to launch for the Wii U. As the Wii U launch is towards the end of the year, we can assume that these same people are expecting it to be released in 2013.

2013 - 2008 = 5 Years.

Hence why I questioned the sanity of people expecting Pikmin 3 to have five years development time.

GCX

Pikmin 3 hasn't been in active development for 5 years. It was in pre-production for a long time by a small team, then the development was halted until it was revived and put in active development after an unknown time period.

Anth0ny

Pretty sure when Miyamoto said "We're making Pikmin" in 2008 it was nothing more than scribbles on napkin. We haven't seen a single asset from the game. If it was in development for 5 years, we'd know about it.

I would be very surprised if we see it at launch this year. Pleasantly surprised, of course.

Conor 419

Banned
Pretty sure when Miyamoto said "We're making Pikmin" in 2008 it was nothing more than scribbles on napkin. We haven't seen a single asset from the game. If it was in development for 5 years, we'd know about it.

I would be very surprised if we see it at launch this year. Pleasantly surprised, of course.

Uhh, didn't an interview with Miyamoto that very year not confirm that 'the Wii controls were working well'. It was in a Nintendo Magazine iirc.

And I'm pretty sure that it would have been shown last year if the decision to move it to the Wii U hadn't been made.

Ithil

w1Hqg.jpg

can't help it.

Conor 419

Banned
Wow, in just a day this thread has reached 27 pages. With no new info to talk about. How does it do it?

I literally just sat laughing for a good two minutes when properly considering this post. In total there must have been about 1000 pages worth of discussion about details that could be summed up on a single sheet of A4.

We know the Wii U won't make Wii/Gamecube all pretty like the Dolphin emulator does, but I wonder if Nintendo would consider individual upscaled releases on the online store. Sort of like the 3d classics for 3DS.

I bet they could make decent profit off of minimal work.

Nibel

I don't want to know what happens if we will get actual news. Thread would explode without the "New News - New Thread" rule.

ReyVGM

I've lost hope for any news now. We won't get any announcements that would excite me right away, becauae we won't get any game announcments or screenshots of the UI or the redesigned system. :(

The only big announcement people are going to get is at E3.

If Nintendo gives out more info before E3, it will be in the style of the NiN announcement a few months ago and even with that, no one was satisfied (it did stop the network and friend codes questions though).

So if you are expecting some sort of announcement before E3 that will satisfy you, then forget about it. You are going to have to wait for E3 for the big orgasm.

Anth0ny

We know the Wii U won't make Wii/Gamecube all pretty like the Dolphin emulator does, but I wonder if Nintendo would consider individual upscaled releases on the online store. Sort of like the 3d classics for 3DS.

I bet they could make decent profit off of minimal work.

Almost certainly. Online store? Perhaps. But retail HD releases ala God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Team Ico... are happening. I'm really hoping we see at least one HD collection at launch.

Top Bottom