• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

MisterHero

Asked if it was releasing Wii U prematurely by a viewer, the Wedbush Morgan analyst said in his GameTrailers show Pach-Attack: “The reason that you’re saying that it’s premature, I think you’re really trying to suggest that it’s not going to sell well.

“So, yeah I think they are about to Dreamcast themselves."

Serious question..Has he ever been right about Nintendo?
Pachter should think seriously the next time he ever decides to call out people who disagree with him about not understanding how a business like Sega fails.

At the very least, it would require a multi-generational failure and something like giving the Wii 2 or 3 hardware add-ons while simultaneously releasing Wii U, 2 also-ran portables, a presence in a market that was in actual decline (arcades), many poor managerial decisions, and competent competition (Nintendo, and sometimes Sony/MS).

Sega also seemed to follow consumer demand, with providing better graphics and supporting online before Sony and Nintendo could. It was too much too fast.

Dreamcast was probably Sega's finest console, but the poor decisions plaguing them since Genesis caught up with them.

Maybe a Dreamcast-league console with Nintendo's conservative philosophy and software support might not be a bad thing?

HylianTom

Banned
Pachter should think seriously the next time he ever decides to call out people who disagree with him about not understanding how Sega's business failed.

At the very least, it would require a multi-generational failure and something like giving the Wii 2 or 3 hardware add-ons while simultaneously releasing Wii U, 2 also-ran portables, a presence in a market that was in actual decline (arcades), many poor managerial decisions, and competent competition (Nintendo, and sometimes Sony/MS).

Sega also seemed to follow consumer demand, with providing better graphics and supporting online before Sony and Nintendo could.

Dreamcast was probably Sega's finest console, but the poor decisions plaguing them since Genesis caught up with them.

Maybe a Dreamcast-league console with Nintendo's conservative philosophy might not be a bad thing?

You didn't go to school for this did you?

If not, then why should we take you seriously?

(ha!)

I'm now torn. It'd definitely be a safe move, especially when appealing to gift-givers. And it could show what the pad and the console is capable of, features-wise.

But Nintendo would be leaving a lot of money on the table by not selling it separately. The attach rate would be pretty good.

Yeah, I don't think it would be a good business move to bundle it right out of the gate. Maybe as an enmergency plan if the console is not doing well.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, I don't think it would be a good business move to bundle it right out of the gate. Maybe as an enmergency plan if the console is not doing well.

It could be a good "second holiday" bundle-type thing to offer in conjunction with the first price cut, timed for when the competition releases their machine(s). If Nintendo wants to be aggressively competitive..

Funny thing is, you go on Live and hear all of these little pipsqueaky voices..

When I lined-up for my Wii pre-order, I was 28 and I was about average age-wise for the folks in line. We got to talking as the hours passed, and it turns-put that these folks in line were mainly there for themselves - not buying the console for their kids.

I always laugh at this "mature" issue. It's all you can do.

Exactly, as adults - unlike teenagers - don't feel the need to pretend to be grown-ups, besides they don't bother that much being regarded as "casual gamers" - whereas back in the day videogamers were seen as nerds and losers, not cool guys.

Also, more aged videogamers have maybe started playing videogames before Sony and Microsoft came into VGs business, so they are aware videogames existed before PlayStation.

Brand-loyalty plays some sort of role as well in this issue methinks.

Maxrunner

Asked if it was releasing Wii U prematurely by a viewer, the Wedbush Morgan analyst said in his GameTrailers show Pach-Attack: “The reason that you’re saying that it’s premature, I think you’re really trying to suggest that it’s not going to sell well.

Serious question..Has he ever been right about Nintendo?

So he still thinks its a 360???lol

TriGen

Exactly, as adults - unlike teenagers - don't feel the need to pretend to be grown-ups, besides they don't bother that much being regarded as "casual gamers" - whereas back in the day videogamers were seen as nerds and losers, not cool guys.

Also, more aged videogamers have maybe started playing videogames before Sony and Microsoft came into VGs business, so they are aware videogames existed before PlayStation.

Brand-loyalty plays some sort of role as well in this issue methinks.

I grew up with Nintendo, and was a Nintendo guy all through the N64/PS era as well, this gen I certainly played less Wii then PS3/360, but I still am more hyped for the Wii U then anything else. What you grow up with and brand loyalty is certainly huge.

TriGen

sell DLC? or even better: Sell "skylander-esque"-figurines or level pack-cards with NFC communication to unlock/download stuff.

money!

Yeah, maybe. I just don't think they will pass up the 20 million copies sold at 50$ a pop. That's pretty much how NSMBW sold, right?

AntMurda

I think New Super Mario mii will be bundled with the console.

Doesn't make sense at all. A game with such a high user attach rate can be sold separately for $59.99 (or $49.99).

Bundling in games is just an archaic thing in general. Demos and features are much more beneficial and long-term.

NeoRausch

Doesn't make sense at all. A game with such a high user attach rate can be sold separately for $59.99 (or $49.99).

Bundling in games is just an archaic thing in general. Demos and features are much more beneficial and long-term.

nintendo bundled mario games with new sonsoles before, didn't they? (serious question!)

TriGen

I think they will put in some Chase Mii type mini-games, nothing more.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think New Super Mario mii will be bundled with the console.

I think that it would be a smart move for Nintendo to pack the starter bundle with a disc that contains all the demo showed at E3 2011 (or pre-install those demos in the OS)

Some sort of "Wii Sport", but with a more various taste (sports, platform, figthing), that could push and communicate the various different possibilities offered by the Upad.

Because in my opinion the Upad is more "complex" than Wiimote: complex because it's not so easy to be communicated to the masses, but also because it's richer in terms of possibilities in terms of in-game uses.

That said, it could be also a way to "hide" the real price of the console to the crowd: I think that a Wii U sold at (for example) 299 USD/€ could be profitable (it depends on the specs, of course, but mine is a general speech, adaptable to different price ranges) and in the meatine could be perceived as "ok" because of the "bundle".

I don't ever remember that, unless they did it with the NES which I wouldn't know. I sure didn't get one with my SNES, N64 or Gamecube.

I got Mario World with my SNES (Europe).

TaIEP.jpg

ozfunghi

This is the 2011 list
But all links link back to a post on that forum which will then provide a link to the source
Rumor Consolidation 2011

and this is the 2012 list so far
Rumor Consolidation 2012

p.s. There are 2 rumors sourced back to members of that forum
1 is to me, and the other is another member that I know in real life.
(I vetted both sources before posting them on here)

Ace should add this to the OP if he hasn't already.

AntMurda

I think they will put in some Chase Mii type mini-games, nothing more.

People arbitrarily mention that. But packing in Chase Mii would be as effective as AR games was. No one will give a crap. Total waste of effort. Let them develop that into an actual mini-game and release it at some point rather than just dumping it as shovel ware.

What makes more sense are those tablet games they showed. Chess. Checkers. Connect 4. Solitaire. Etc. Those are practical games people would find daily use for on their tablet while while watching television.

Really, I don't ever remember getting anything with any Nintendo console (except Wii Sports imo), it could depend on timing of purchase and region, I guess. Or it was a just a long time ago and I don't remember.

Yup. Pretty damn sure Super Mario Bros. was bundled with the NES as well.

Also Tetris with the Game Boy.

TriGen

We just saw tech demos. The actual games released for this thing will be different.

Yeah, I don't even think a 2D Mario will come out till around 2014, they'll wait for a bigger install base, plus they will have 3D Mario come out first to show off the systems power/graphics.

NeoRausch

you know: software sells hardware. to force-push a console into succsess you can make it cheap and/or pack a game in everybody wants ( see: wii sports/tetris etc.)

TriGen

I believe that, I'm to young to remember when the NES first came out. They haven't launched a Nintendo console with a big Mario type game in a long long time though, so that's probaly just a thing of the past to get people into video games.

yeah that what i'm rembering too... maybe euope only or later in the life. washed out memories. :\

Nah. I'm in the States, and we got it bundled by Christmas '91. I specifically remember, because we had either a controller or controller port go wrong, and returning the set to the store for a replacement meant losing my Super Mario World progress.

NeoRausch

but you can bet your ass that they will preinstall interesting stuff on the console itself and pack in "some game" (wii play-ish) as proof of concept.
just like face raiders and the AR Games on 3DS.

they should also preload your online-account with a few iwata-bucks to get peoples asses online to download something. like they did with early adaptors of the DSi.

or some small stuff for free download.

Nah. I'm in the States, and we got it bundled by Christmas '91. I specifically remember, because we had either a controller or controller port go wrong, and returning the set to the store for a replacement meant losing my Super Mario World progress.
OUCH! sounds like the best and the worst christmas in one.

TriGen

but you can bet your ass that they will preinstall interesting stuff on the console itself and pack in "some game" (wii play-ish) as proof of concept.
just like face raiders and the AR Games on 3DS.

they should also preload your online-account with a few iwata-bucks to get peoples asses online to download something. like they did with early adaptors of the DSi.

or some small stuff for free download.

Yeah, they will definetly do that.

darthdago

Hi everyone,
have finished reading thread 2 now interesting things happened.
But can someone please give me a review for this thread?!?!
Much appreciated!!
It seems that something good has happened again cos its over 20 pages (50 posts/page).

MisterHero

On one hand, it would be fantastic to get New Super Mario Bros. Mii with Wii U. However, Nintendo probably feels that it could make more money by itself, just like NSMBWii. WiiSports was a massive success in pushing the Wii, Wii U needs more stuff like WiiSports (which justify the need for the Wii U Pad).

I just want a Mario game ready at launch.

Nibel

Right, like I said, free Mario was a thing of the past trying to get people into video games.

Mario is something I would buy with the system because I love the franchise. And there are a bunch of people with the same feeling. They don't need to bundle it.

AntMurda

wii with wii sports then? (yeah i know it's not a mario game)

It was only a pack-in outside of Japan because they felt the audiences would not buy the game unless it was forced on to the player.

In Japan, there was no pack in and the system and software flourished.

NeoRausch

Hi everyone,
have finished reading thread 2 now interesting things happened.
But can someone please give me a review for this thread?!?!
Much appreciated!!
It seems that something good has happened again cos its over 20 pages (50 posts/page).

P9bhV.jpg

but serious. everything cool is in the OP.

Nibel

On one hand, it would be fantastic to get New Super Mario Bros. Mii with Wii U. However, Nintendo probably feels that it could make more money by itself, just like NSMBWii. WiiSports was a massive success in pushing the Wii, Wii U needs more stuff like WiiSports (which justify the need for the Wii U Pad).

I just want a Mario game ready at launch.

Can't see this happening.. Pikmin 3 will be most likely their big flagship title. And Mario 2D will be for 3DS.

But if this happens, I'm with you.

TriGen

Mario is something I would buy with the system because I love the franchise. And there are a bunch of people with the same feeling. They don't need to bundle it.

Exactly, as I said, selling 20 million copies at 50$ a pop means no pack-in.

MisterHero

Can't see this happening.. Pikmin 3 will be most likely their big flagship title. And Mario 2D will be for 3DS.

But if this happens, I'm with you.
If Nintendo had released the NSMBWii Bundle from last year at the system launch, I'd probably have bought that one.

The only problem is that it omitted WiiSports/Resort. They were Nintendo Select titles at that point though.

Top Bottom