• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

How much could you buy PS4 and 720s CPUs and GPUs for?
Tree fidy.

With the massive (and totally unexpected at the start) success of the wii its likely nintendo is on very very good terms with ibm, wether so good theyd get a better deal than anyone elsr who knows

They'd probably be far more willing to cut them a deal if they can be assured that they're going to be supplying like 80 million. Though, I dunno if we can safely assume that.

HylianTom

Banned
With the massive (and totally unexpected at the start) success of the wii its likely nintendo is on very very good terms with ibm, wether so good theyd get a better deal than anyone elsr who knows

Very true. Goodness knows the two have been doing business together for what seems like forever now.

Shurayuki

I bet Nintendo could buy a processor that is much more powerful than 360/PS3 for really, really cheap. People assume when they see a $300 price tag that the console wouldn't be powerful.

GPU that is 2 times more powerful than 360/PS3 wouldn't put much of a dent in Nintendo's costs. And the GPU would go down in costs every year.

Yeah pretty sure, the question is then how much of a use that then would be, if the CPU is super powerful and the rest can't keep up it's just spec-sheet humdrum. It's only about how the parts work together, and really the CPU hasn't been the integral part in gaming (most of it) for a long time.
Numbers are fun and easy to look at, but really I only care about what I can see. If a slight improvement needs 4x more power and like 100$ more I can live without it.
The only thing that even slightly worries me is if a non dx11 card could hold Wii-U back some 4 years from now. It's really not that bad.

nordique

I've mentioned this before, but when Nintendo says they're losing money at $170 or only made $6 on $250 Wii's, you'd really have to look at their detailed accounting practices to make any claims one way or the other. Obviously a game system is a 6, 8, or 10+ year investment. Launch marketing, R&D, initial production set up, and things of that nature can not be (fairly) rolled into a single fiscal year (which I suspect is what they probably do for legal or logistical reason). They are investments that will continue to show returns for years and years to come. Assuming this is the case, is it really fair to say they're losing money on 3DS or making $6 on Wii's for the purposes of these arguments?

Precisely.

Which is also why it is very easy to lose a lot of money. Sony did just that with the PS3, and while it is by no means a failure in terms of install base (it will end up with more numbers than the NES had when this generation is over in my opinion) and in terms of content (I don't think anyone is disappointed with being a PS3 owner from a software level), it was a failure in the business sense.

Sony misjudged a lot of things, and I think their new business model will be much better.

Consoles are going to become more and more service oriented, with revenue stream models than ever before. That is how you get partners on board, that make the applications consumers want.

Yeah pretty sure, the question is then how much of a use that then would be, if the CPU is super powerful and the rest can't keep up it's just spec-sheet humdrum. It's only about how the parts work together, and really the CPU hasn't been the integral part in gaming (most of it) for a long time.
Numbers are fun and easy to look at, but really I only care about what I can see. If a slight improvement needs 4x more power and like 100$ more I can live without it.
The only thing that even slightly worries me is if a non dx11 card could hold Wii-U back some 4 years from now. It's really not that bad.

Well, it won't have DX11 support regardless.

Oddduck

Tree fidy.

They'd probably be far more willing to cut them a deal if they can be assured that they're going to be supplying like 80 million. Though, I dunno if we can safely assume that.

Yeah I expect Nintendo to do a good job with balancing tech and price. They'll negotiate something good with IBM.

The problem with our culture is people connect price with quality. Anything under $400 and people assume it is cheap quality hardware (even if that's not true at all)

nordique

They've been on great terms since before the Wii too.

Nintendo being one of IBM's largest customers, makes Nintendo a very important customer.

Yeah I expect Nintendo to do a good job with balancing tech and price. They'll negotiate something good with IBM.

The problem with our culture is people connect price with quality. Anything under $400 and people assume it is cheap quality hardware (even if that's not true at all)

This was actually the reason that the Wii was $250.
Retailers wouldn't stock it at $200.

HylianTom

Banned
I really want them to launch the Wii U with multiple colors. I loved the N64 for having a variety of colors.

For whatever reason, Nintendo seems colorphobic with its consoles (since the GameCube.. hmm..). They'll tease the hell out of the possibilities, but that's about it.

A bit annoying, honestly.

HylianTom

Banned
Me too. :) I need to start saving my money in my piggy bank. :0

I like having several consoles in the house, but I usually wait until the different colors or editions come along before jumping at the chance. Not having to wait so long this time around would be lovely.

That, and I tend to get the nieces/nephews their own consoles for Christmas, and being able to get them each a unique color (or let them choose) would make for a pretty cool holiday.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For whatever reason, Nintendo seems colorphobic with its consoles (since the GameCube.. hmm..). They'll tease the hell out of the possibilities, but that's about it.

Mind you, colours can be a curse when a console is selling well. I'm a male. When I wanted to buy a DS Lite back in the day, they were out of stock of every colour - except Pink. I wanted the machine, but there's no way I was buying that.

Even when I did get one - months later - I ended up getting black because my preferred choice - Silver - had sold out.

How about Nintendo make Gameboy Micro style faceplates for the Wii U? Everyone would be happy then.

51M9-uMlTWL.jpg

Shurayuki

Mind you, colours can be a curse when a console is selling well. I'm a male. When I wanted to buy a DS Lite back in the day, they were out of stock of every colour - except Pink. I wanted the machine, but there's no way I was buying that.

Even when I did get one - months later - I ended up getting black because my preferred choice - Silver - had sold out.

How about Nintendo make Gameboy Micro style clip on facias for the Wii U? Everyone would be happy then.

Man it's really interesting how different the markets work all over the world. So often you read on GAF that sytem/game xyz is impossible to find, yet in Germany that thing is usually happily available.
So sad that the color/special edition craze isn't really there. Such a great thing to get to choose and to have a more personified system.

Customizable faceplates would really be the easiest and 3rd party can produce them easily. Why are they not more prevalent? Worries that they could mess up the system? (like heating?)
The Hatsune Miku 3DS set is stickers right, that's just not the same (my N64 still has some Zelda stickers from some magazine on it).

BlackJace

Hmm, things seem to have calmed down here. Anyways...

I doubt it, but I wish the Wii U would come in a variety of colors at launch. I honestly don't see what's so difficult about providing different color schemes.
Plus, colored instruction manuals need to return. Also, instruction manuals that aren't 2 pages long FFS. (COD MW2, BLOPS, etc). I loved the days when I spent a good amount of time admiring the art of an instruction manual, or reading up on what to expect from the game. (Dissidia 012, Mario Galaxy etc)

HylianTom

Banned

How about Nintendo make Gameboy Micro style clip on facias for the Wii U? Everyone would be happy then.

Ewww. Pink ain't my cup o'tea. I'd wait as well.

And you're right. I can understand in that respect why Nintendo would wait before releasing the colors. But this time around, they were a bit too slow for my tastes..

I doubt it, but I wish the Wii U would come in a variety of colors at launch. I honestly don't see what's so difficult about providing different color schemes.
Plus, colored instruction manuals need to return. Also, instruction manuals that aren't 2 pages long FFS. (COD MW2, BLOPS, etc). I loved the days when I spent a good amount of time admiring the art of an instruction manual, or reading up on what to expect from the game. (Dissidia 012, Mario Galaxy etc)
Hell yes. I miss the days when I was not able to read the instruction manual all the way through on the ride home from the store.

I like having several consoles in the house, but I usually wait until the different colors or editions come along before jumping at the chance. Not having to wait so long this time around would be lovely.

That, and I tend to get the nieces/nephews their own consoles for Christmas, and being able to get them each a unique color (or let them choose) would make for a pretty cool holiday.

I'm just tired of white and black. Sort of depressing, no style. :( Give me blue, green etc. and I'm a happy panda! :)

fernoca

Well, colored manuals will probably stay the same as they are now. Nintendo and a few other developers too; while the rest going for black and white..or just no manual at all.

Wouldn't mind if they do it like Nintendo with the 3DS, were Nintendo instead of a manual, includes a poster of sorts. But yeah, the days of long/fatty manuals are gone, specially color-ones.

Then again, the manual for the console will probably be fat and color; like the 3DS hardware manual(s).
:p

BlackJace

Well, colored manuals will probably stay the same as they are now. Nintendo and a few other developers too; while the rest going for black and white..or just no manual at all.

Wouldn't mind if they do it like Nintendo with the 3DS, were Nintendo instead of a manual, includes a poster of sorts. But yeah, the days of long/fatty manuals are gone, specially color-ones.

Then again, the manual for the console will probably be fat and color; like the 3DS hardware manual(s).

The poster idea is okay, but flipping through a fat booklet with nice art seemed so much cooler. Hell, aren't artbooks and infobooks tacked on if you preorder something? Shame. Look at the manuals of Sonic 2 and Kirby and even recent ones like Dissidia 012. 30 freaking pages? Yes.

Point is, those manuals got you pumped to play the game. At least it did for me.

I'm just tired of white and black. Sort of depressing, no style. :( Give me blue, green etc. and I'm a happy panda! :)

IMO if N64 and GC had sold better they would have no issues with the home consoles having multiple colors. (see DS/3DS)

True wii sold very well, but they may look at "keeping it simple" as what worked for Wii.

Shurayuki

As much as I liked ye olde instruction booklets, and the memories reading them while going home from a successful shopping spree, most people just throw/threw them away. It really was a huge waste of paper and it's almost a good thing they don't make them anymore. With artbooks and the like at least only the ones who care get them. Mostly.
The hedonist on my right shoulder objects loudly though.

Linkhero1

Me too. :) I need to start saving my money in my piggy bank. :0

I might have to buy multiple Wii U's if they release another color later on.

Well they do release multiple colors for their handheld devices, but with consoles it seems like they don't care as long as they're making money. How long did it take them to release a black Wii and a red Wii? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere within 3 years of console launch iirc.

IMO if N64 and GC had sold better they would have no issues with the home consoles having multiple colors. (see DS/3DS)

True wii sold very well, but they may look at "keeping it simple" as what worked for Wii.

Only if they sold better =/. I really love my Jungle Green N64. I'm still holding out for at least another color other than white.

BlackJace

As much as I liked ye olde instruction booklets, and the memories reading them while going home from a successful shopping spree, most people just throw/threw them away. It really was a huge waste of paper and it's almost a good thing they don't anymore.

WHAT? What horrible monsters do this? God, I've kept every manual I've ever gotten.

Throwing them away...pffh..that shit's gotta be a crime somewhere...

BD1

Banned
Manuals probably won't even exist with Wii U games. We'll fire up the game for the first time, and we'll get a prompt on the DRC to read the e-manual or start playing.

Linkhero1

Manuals probably won't even exist with Wii U games. We'll fire up the game for the first time, and we'll get a prompt on the DRC to read the e-manual or start playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the manual was directly on your Wii U Pad. I love my manuals though :(

fernoca

The poster idea is okay, but flipping through a fat booklet with nice art seemed so much cooler. Hell, aren't artbooks and infobooks tacked on if you preorder something? Shame. Look at the manuals of Sonic 2 and Kirby and even recent ones like Dissidia 012. 30 freaking pages? Yes.

Point is, those manuals got you pumped to play the game. At least it did for me.

As much as I liked ye olde instruction booklets, and the memories reading them while going home from a successful shopping spree, most people just throw/threw them away. It really was a huge waste of paper and it's almost a good thing they don't make them anymore. With artbooks and the like at least only the ones who care get them. Mostly.
Yeah. Loved them; too bad most no longer do. Still remember Final Fantasy on NES, was surprised since back then NES booklets weren't that big usually.

Sucks also when they don't include a manual; yet include a multiple-pages/full-color booklet advertising stuff. Like in Mortal Kombat and Arkham City. Would've traded that mini-booklet advertising the soundtrack, movies, etc..for one showing characters and moves at least for MK.

Shurayuki

I might have to buy multiple Wii U's if they release another color later on.

Yeah I fear that with 3DS, want to get a EU system when the revision hits, but if they release purple or a revisioned LovePlus/Other sweet design after that...*account suicide*

Would be fine, no more bugged unskippable explanation videos though, please Nintendo :eek:

Yeah. loved them; too bad most no longer do. Still remember Final Fantasy on NES, was surprised since back then NES booklets weren't that big usually.

Sucks also when they hey don't include a manual; yet include a multiple-pages/full-color booklet advertising stuff. Like in Mortal Kombat and Arkham City. Would've traded that mini-booklet advertising the soundtrack, movies, etc..for one showing characters and moves at least.

Yes having purely ads in there is shameful, as much lacking in love a single leaflet with a few moves or smth similar is (like sports games often do), that's the least you can do.

Linkhero1

This is exactly what I'm expecting. You'll push the Home button and that game's manual will be one of the menu options.

Yup. They already do it with Wii VC games (Not sure about Wiiware since I don't have a Wiiware game). I see no reason why they wouldn't continue this trend.

Yeah I fear that with 3DS, want to get a EU system when the revision hits, but if they release purple or a revisioned LovePlus/Other sweet design after that...*account suicide*

Hah. This is why I kind of regret getting a launch 3DS. Who knows they might show a revision later this year. I might have to get it if it's improved a lot.

Well, one reason could be the convenience of having the essential info (controls, mode explanations, etc.) on hand at all times, with no need to carry around a paper thing. Also makes it handy when you come back to a game after a while, and you can't find the box or something.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Because manuals fade or get lost, plus so much now a days they're cheap.
This way, I can access them at any time, in game or not, and they're full color with bright beautiful 3D screens.

Yup. When I started playing my DS Lite, I used to have a silly habit of removing all the manuals from game boxes - so I could read them elsewhere. OF course, this has come back to haunt me now I'm trying to resell the games and having to play Hunt the manual.

Plus - think of the things you can do with an electronic manual. Animated pictures, etc, etc.

Shurayuki

Hah. This is why I kind of regret getting a launch 3DS. Who knows they might show a revision later this year. I might have to get it if it's improved a lot.

Yeah, it's so enticing though^^ My J-3Ds is sitting in Customs-Hell it seems (stupid Easter too), but prices are so insane holding out on like 5 games mitigates a EU purchase, so Nintendo you win another sale! Do us all a favor and give us what we want immediately!

Because manuals fade or get lost, plus so much now a days they're cheap.
This way, I can access them at any time, in game or not, and they're full color with bright beautiful 3D screens.

Well it's not like they're mutually exclusive. But if it forces better in-game documentation that's nice too. Sometimes having the info outside of the game can be a boon though.

Only if they sold better =/. I really love my Jungle Green N64. I'm still holding out for at least another color other than white.

Considering off the top of my head that 360 beat N64 and GC combined and Wii's "plain" route clearly beat 360, I expect the color choices to be very limited. But I do support the idea of changeable faceplates or whatever they would be called for those who want something else.

HylianTom

Banned
Yup. When I started playing my DS Lite, I used to have a silly habit of removing all the manuals from game boxes - so I could read them elsewhere. OF course, this has come back to haunt me now I'm trying to resell the games and having to play Hunt the manual.

I keep eeeverything that comes in a game's case, including those advertisement slips for other games, Nintendo Power, and Club Nintendo. Looking back at inserts from 2001 is pretty interesting,

Linkhero1

Considering off the top of my head that 360 beat N64 and GC combined and Wii's "plain" route clearly beat 360, I expect the color choices to be very limited. But I do support the idea of changeable faceplates or whatever they would be called for those who want something else.

True. I wouldn't mind some Nintendo faceplates. If they decide to offer something along those lines I'd be content.

Top Bottom