• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
One of our own confirmed rumble in the Pro Controller in the last thread from a hands-on session. I don't remember who though. :(

edit: I tried finding it, I skimmed through the last 90 pages to right before gamescom by searching for "rumble" but I couldn't find it ... I vaguely remember someone linking to their personal blog for impressions but I don't know if that's where the rumble thing came from. Sorry. Let's just consider it unconfirmed but possible.

You know I kinda remember the same thing. Can't think of the name though.

Didn't someone say "controller has rumble", but we weren't sure if they meant the GamePad or the Pro?? can't remember what the result of that debate was...

Also, I'm over 300 posts and it says I joined in Feb (which is when I created my profile) Wasn't approved until like July though so could that be why I'm still lowly junior? :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The upgrade in the type of RAM qualifies it as a leap sufficient enough. Next gen consoles at 10x defies Moore's Law and is therefore scientifically unsound. The MOST you'll typically get is 6x, from a purely bullshit multiplier perspective.

PS1 (2MB)-PS2(32MB) = 16x
PS2 (32MB)-PS3(512MB)= 16x
PS3(512MB)-PS4(8GB)=16x

so even 4GB which seems a high estimate at the moment, would be historically less than the jumps we've had recently. Although with modern streaming engines we've seen this gen, you could argue that you don't need the same level RAM increase to get the equivalent leap in performance

The_Lump

Banned
PS1 (2MB)-PS2(32MB) = 16x
PS2 (32MB)-PS3(512MB)= 16x
PS3(512MB)-PS4(8GB)=16x

so even 4GB which seems a high estimate at the moment, would be historically less than the jumps we've had recently. Although with modern streaming engines we've seen this gen, you could argue that you don't need the same level RAM increase to get the equivalent leap in performance

Don't forget the type and speed of the RAM. As important as the volume of memory.

Edit: I'm a member! Woohoo!

>.>

<.<

*crickets*

D-e-f-

Banned
You know I kinda remember the same thing. Can't think of the name though.

Didn't someone say "controller has rumble", but we weren't sure if they meant the GamePad or the Pro?? can't remember what the result of that debate was...

Yea/No lol ... I found the part which wasn't clear on whether the poster meant the GamePad (which had rumble confirmed officially anyway) or the Pro controller. But that wasn't it. Some explicitly referred to the Pro controller (must've been during Rayman or ZombiU impressions)

Edit: I'm a member! Woohoo!

>.>

<.<

*crickets*

lol congrats, I guess :p

-------

sidenote: @vectorman06 you still need to fix the Miiverse messaging thing in the OP, please! (details sent via pm)

Is anyone else really enamoured by the idea of being able to play on the screen while just casually playing Wii/VC games, and watching TV? Multi-tasking for the win.

Don't forget the type and speed of the RAM. As important as the volume of memory.

No it's not, Dev's would trade volume for speed any day.

At most, high speed RAM will only give you a couple of frames per second extra, whereas running out of RAM will collapse your frame rate.

If Nintendo asked the Dev's..4GB of exotic or 8Gb of standard?, 9 out 10 would take the latter.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just thought of something:

Now there are 2 sensor bars, one on the TV and one on the GamePad, can't we assume the tracking system will be deeper, closer to what we have with the Move?

For instance in the Golf Demo, the GamePad is lying on the ground and allows for a higher level of precision on where you will exactly "touch" the ball.

This enhanced spatial recognition could be applied in more games that use motion as their primary input.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is anyone else really enamoured by the idea of being able to play on the screen while just casually playing Wii/VC games, and watching TV? Multi-tasking for the win.

I hope you're not expecting to be able to play two games at the same time on the same system?

I just thought of something:

Now there are 2 sensor bars, one on the TV and one on the GamePad, can't we assume the tracking system will be deeper, closer to what we have with the Move?

For instance in the Golf Demo, the GamePad is lying on the ground and allows for a higher level of precision on where you will exactly "touch" the ball.

This enhanced spatial recognition could be applied in more games that use motion as their primary input.

Too complex. This means exactly 4.75 games will use it in that way.

The_Lump

Banned
Yea/No lol ... I found the part which wasn't clear on whether the poster meant the GamePad (which had rumble confirmed officially anyway) or the Pro controller. But that wasn't it. Some explicitly referred to the Pro controller (must've been during Rayman or ZombiU impressions)

lol congrats, I guess :p

Ah I see. Thanks. And Thanks.

:p welcome aboard

Thanks! Do I get a badge or something??

No it's not, Dev's would trade volume for speed any day.

At most, high speed RAM will only give you a couple of frames per second extra, whereas running out of RAM will collapse your frame rate.

If Nintendo asked the Dev's..4GB of exotic or 8Gb of standard?, 9 out 10 would take the latter.

True, but the difference between GDDR2 and GDDR5 for example is pretty significant in gaming terms. Might make that 4GB vs 8GB question a bit more interesting (and not least because they're unlikely to need more than 4GB, but I know that wasn't your point :p )

Interesting subject actually. Wish we knew more...

Edit: lol, that's a good title for the next thread "Wii U: Interesting Subject, Wish We Knew More"

That Skyrim recreation of Zelda WW is scaring...from a shiny colorfull fabulous world to a gray/brown realistic medieval standard environment...
Zelda TP had better art direction.

Yeah, totally destroys the mood, and the classic WW theme doesn't help it at all.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is that really complex? The GamePad will be shipped with a stand.

Look at how developers used Wii Remotes, Move controllers, Kinect so far. The majority of products involves the simplest implementation of that tech possible. I just don't believe we will see many such experiments that require a weird setup like that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Look at how developers used Wii Remotes, Move controllers, Kinect so far. The majority of products involves the simplest implementation of that tech possible. I just don't believe we will see many such experiments that require a weird setup like that.
I don't expect it neither, but I could see it work in a WiiSports sequel.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If Nintendo asked the multiplat Dev's.. 4GB of exotic or 8Gb of standard?, 9 out 10 would take the latter.
Fixed.

Multiplat devs mostly care about fitting in their developed-elsewhere asserts, whereas exclusive devs tend to care much more about the 'exotic' capabilities of the system. Low latency RAM accesses for your CPU could be put to some good uses when you don't have multiple platforms to worry about.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't expect it neither, but I could see it work in a WiiSports sequel.

Yea that'd probably one of those few examples.

Q: Do people think voice acting in Zelda will also destroy something that you might never get back? I don't think I would like it.

No, I think it can help a lot with getting rid of the "oh, shut up and let me play" BS that plagued Skyward Sword so immensely. Link obviously has to stay silent, though. But NPC characters can and, I think, should talk all the want to. Do away with s..l..o..w..l..y...mo..v..i..n..g...t..e..x..t. So we can get the story stuff over with faster and get back to playing the game! Or do something like The Last Story (or any other modern game, really) and deliver story bits while you're playing dynamically.

That was the funny thing about Miyamoto being so proud of the new inventory system that doesn't take you out of the action by being immediately and not pausing gameplay. They did that and then forced those conversations with Fi on you that tells you stuff you would've figured out in 2 seconds or have already figured out way earlier.

The_Lump

Banned
Q: Do people think voice acting in Zelda will also destroy something that you might never get back? I don't think I would like it.

It would absolutely ruin it for me. I don't know why, it just wouldn't seem right. I think it allows you to become more absorbed into the game if you are allowed to image the voices you think fit with the characters. If someone else is deciding what they sound like, it can sometimes seem like a bad fit.

Also, Link's only words have been his name as far as I'm aware. And Miyamoto has said he never speaks full stop for the same reason as above (more player involvement as a character isn't 'talking for you')

MYE

Personally I would like to see them evolve the SS art direction. Kind of the same way MM gave the OT's artstyle a twist.

188737d1321723059-legend-zelda-skyward-sword-52012-zelda_hd2.jpg

iJ1z6tl0WoXoQ.png

Imma just put this out here now, and no offence to her, but I really don't trust Emily Rogers. Not after that farce of rumours and bullshitting she created pre E3. As far as I'm concerned she's just a runaway Nintendo fangirl who has somehow wormed her way into games 'journalism' to give some kind of credibility to her fantasy ideas.

Chat? But I hardly know her. I'm not ready for that level of commitment. What should I wear? Also I don't Twit.

you definitely should. theres a nice network of gaffers and you can drop more hints. i'll follow.

twitter is pretty amazing once you get into it. really feels like a community.

It would absolutely ruin it for me. I don't know why, it just wouldn't seem right. I think it allows you to become more absorbed into the game if you are allowed to image the voices you think fit with the characters. If someone else is deciding what they sound like, it can sometimes seem like a bad fit.

Also, Link's only words have been his name as far as I'm aware. And Miyamoto has said he never speaks full stop for the same reason as above (more player involvement as a character isn't 'talking for you')

Same. It would seem less dreamy and comforting to me.

Personally I would like to see them evolve the SS art direction. Kind of the same way MM gave the OT's artstyle a twist.

Yes, SS was like an oil painting in motion which is X1000 greater than any pseudo-realistic graphics. Wii-U graphics + Nintendo art styles = visual game art form nirvana.

Banned
It's possible retro is working on a Metroid while an EAD team is working on a 3DS Metroid that's maybe 2D or like hunters. Metroid prime and Metroid fusion released at the same time.

Same. It would seem less dreamy and comforting to me.

If it was done well it would be incredible, but I don't think Nintendo would put enough resources into it - at least not for the English localisation. A Zelda game that sounds like Xenoblade or The Last Story - with poor scripts being read by cheap voice actors - would be a major step back.

Banned

188737d1321723059-legend-zelda-skyward-sword-52012-zelda_hd2.jpg

iJ1z6tl0WoXoQ.png
Save the SS style for the 3DS games. I want my colorful photorealistic Zelda style on the Wii U, like the tech demo.

If it was done well it would be incredible, but I don't think Nintendo would put enough resources into it - at least not for the English localisation. A Zelda game that sounds like Xenoblade or The Last Story - with poor scripts being read by cheap voice actors - would be a major step back.

To do it and localise I think would add nuff money to the game budget.

Save the SS style for the 3DS games. I want my colorful photorealistic Zelda style on the Wii U, like the tech demo.

I wouldn't have called it photo-realistic, was Zelda TP but more detailed. Still liked that style too though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zelda will never be photorealistic. Even the closest game to that, Twilight Princess, is heavily stylised.

To do it and localise I think would add nuff money to the game budget.

It would. And I think localisation will always be the sticking point - it's not entirely improbable that Nintendo in Japan would go all-out with the development of a new Zelda game, but I can't see NOA or NOE doing it justice on their side of things.

Stulaw

I hate when people say that the TP/ techdemo artstyle is realistic, its's not, and Zelda never has been, all it has are colours that are closer to the real world. It's more fantasy that photo realistic, and should stay that way.

I hate when people say that the TP/ techdemo artstyle is realistic, its's not, and Zelda never has been, all it has are colours that are closer to the real world. It's more fantasy that photo realistic, and should stay that way.

B-but Link should talk! And his sword should draw real blood! And Ganondorf should brutally rape Princess Zelda! REALISM IS COOL.

Haemi

I think the most realistic Zelda was OoT.
Mario should get a new Artstyle, since Mario Galaxy the Games did not change much. Especially the 2D Marios need some fresh ideas.

Zelda is dead as soon as it looks like a goddamn WRPG. Uninspired fantasy in the vein of Lord of the Rings etc pretty much kills that genre for me.

And to think Nintendo fans are usually the ones accusing fans of other consoles of putting too much emphasis on the way a game looks rather than how it plays... ;)

These discussions obviously revolve around how realistic some of these super generic art styles can look most of the time, not how to make more creative looking games.

I think people are more or less referring to the body proportions of Link and the texture style applied. It's still strongly anime influenced, and quite tastefully so.

Personally what I would want from a new Zelda game is that they finally make something with an adequate polycount. SS completely fell apart when it came to that. All that artistic ambition betrayed by ugly low poly environments and jaggies out the ass.

I want them to create a world that is distinctly Zelda, but at the same time dense and complex with tons of great assets, to really bring a new vision of Hyrule to the screen that doesn't look like it was upgraded from the N64.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is a great example of what direction I want the environment design to go. Highly complex assets, mixed with natural looking level borders. Zelda so far allways just put some fugly walls and rocks at the end of the stages and it simply looks like shit in this day and age.
A new game should really give the impression that the stage, area you're in is a natural formation rather than confined by ugly rock walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom