• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

Fixed.

Multiplat devs mostly care about fitting in their developed-elsewhere asserts, whereas exclusive devs tend to care much more about the 'exotic' capabilities of the system. Low latency RAM accesses for your CPU could be put to some good uses when you don't have multiple platforms to worry about.

Exclusive devs would rather not have exotic hardware either. Less to learn, less cost, faster output.

After this gen I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to have wacky hardware.

These discussions obviously revolve around how realistic some of these super generic art styles can look most of the time.

I don't know what you mean by that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with not playing a game because you don't like the visual style, just as there's nothing wrong with not playing a game because you feel it's technically outdated. Both attitudes are just different sides of the same coin.

DekuLink

I really want Super Mario Galaxy 2 in HD, retail.

The game seems to be the magnum opus of the Wii and 3D platformers in general, I'm finally getting back to the original after ages, I wasn't hooked like I was with Sunshine and 3D Land, but it's finally growing on me. :)

SMG2 looks much better, and has Yoshi to boot. :D

This game could truly shine on Wii U in 720p/1080p with AA. They should release it alongside NSMBU, and for really cheap (like $30-$40, depending on the price of the games if they go HD tax on us).

Should take EAD Tokyo no time flat. The game should work on the pad, does Yoshi's tongue require the pointer? They can work it like Sunshine and just home-in on the nearest target.

Or even better: A Galaxy HD collection with both games!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Exclusive devs would rather not have exotic hardware either. Less to learn, less cost, faster output.

After this gen I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to have wacky hardware.
Well, there's exotic and exotic. I was using the word in the context of faster-ram-vs-more-ram exotic, rather than SMP-vs-SPUs-exotic.

Sheroking

Zelda's never really been "realistic" per say, but I think most people know what they mean.

Personally, I like the idea of having one be cartoonish, and the next being more grounded. I definitely want to see them push the tech of the Wii U with a game in both directions.

If it was done well it would be incredible, but I don't think Nintendo would put enough resources into it - at least not for the English localisation. A Zelda game that sounds like Xenoblade or The Last Story - with poor scripts being read by cheap voice actors - would be a major step back.
Nope, not having this.

Realistic Zelda, huh.

Nuke this thread

Wowowow Nibel, you calm down. Realistic Zelda would be great, IF by realistic we mean realistic lighting, shaders, textures etc. - see, they can still keep the artstyle and creative direction, but keep it looking believable. This, if anything, would help people feel even more immersed in a fantasy world such as Hyrule. Look at TP - realistic to a degree but still heavily stylised.

Also, welcome back :')

Stewox

Banned
"Also, for those who did not know, one of the Nintendo representatives that were on hand said the old Wii controllers will not be usable on Wii U. They look and play the exact same, but they are not compatible with the Wii U system."

There may be new version of the WiiMote with integrated motionplus2 with the geomagnetic sensor ... i speculate maybe for those WiiU Zapper games that would benefit from this greately.

Maybe there's an update in the hardware for more precise motion...

But still all your wii games will be playable with any WiiMote.

If you are interested:

Audio Output
Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI® connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

that's all we have up to now

I just hope there is 5.1 channel avaialble through AV mutli-out, because if it's only HDMI that would force people to buy splitters to get external speakers connected, really sucks if you have some big sorround set and only stereo out via analog.

When IBM uses Power (not in all caps) that means it can either be PowerPC or POWER. If they used POWER (all caps) then there would be no denying it would be POWER7-based. Also the PowerPC 476FP some of us have talked about is also on 45nm SOI. PowerPC A2 is on 45nm SOI, but it's an in-order processor.

So that means the vg-leak CPU info is wrong/fake ?

Maybe nintend purposelly did, or just the guy who was writting text mixed up the terms ...

And we know for sure that CPU is PowerPC.

... 100% ?

The 360 has a hardware scaler built in I believe, so the Wii U would need the same for a good solution. I guess it depends whether or not it's a positive cost/effect consideration.

There will be no upscaling in WiiU - Wii games will be the same.

There's no need for it, the GamePad visuals are separate output.

Hey, I think we have the same Sony TV.

I have my PS3 connected this way and the optical out goes to me receiver. All PS3 games/movies sound GREAT through my 5.1 stereo. I'd expect WiiU to be just as glorious.

5.1 stereo ...

Never heard of it :)

So I just read VC games on Wii were upscaled from 240p to 480p through an emulator to match Wii's output so I was wondering... If gamecube games are confirmed to be on the virtual console is it possible for them to upscale the games or maybe render those games at 720p?

I think it is possible but since Wii U can output 420p and Nintendo loves easy money just puting them available for download would be enough and call it a day

VC Games we're all enhanced and modified software-wise.

Please everyone take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28N9MpbOoE

Reggie explains.

Upscaling is bad, the idea of it is stupid, it's artificial, thank god nintendo is not using it. Move on.

The 360 doesn't output the game in real 1080p, though. They're just upscaled from 720p.
As far as I know there are no games on 360 that support real 1080p, at least non of the retail games do.

Wii U will probably do the same, as does the PS3 already.

It would be very unwise from Nintendo to not upscale sub-1080p footage to 1080p if the video resolution output is set to 1080p in the video options of the console.

The console can do native 1080p, no reason to upscale. If developers choose to have more GFX fidelity or to get the needed performance, they may lower it to 720p. Their choice.

Upscaling is irrelevant anyways. I don't see nintendo focusing on it, and if the hardware it self is capable it would be developer's own effort, for benefits I don't see.

didn't see this posted anywhere:

Umbra Software now an official Wii U partner

Source 1
Source 2

To clear out:

This is non-required middleware. Developers with their own engines won't benefit from this.

This is helpful for primarly cheap ports, mediocre multiplats and indie games where those devs don't have the resources or knowledge to create their own tools and optimizations which require a lot of effort.

This reminded me that the WiiU has a I/O processor, GPGPU and a DSP. But this does bring up a question. Now we keep hearing that the WiiU's CPU is weak, but is it possible that it is just being programmed for incorrectly? By this I mean, the games being ported to the WiiU are made for consoles that have in-order CPUs, older GPU's that are not GPGPU's and no DSP. Couldn't that, theoretically, be holding down the WiiU's CPU with unnecessary processes and making it slower than it should be?

There have been no actual research done by those who run the industry. The people who are talking now are only mediocre level developers and ports, and all under NDA, the information is extremely innacurate.

Epic doesn't seem to be focused on WiiU - so UE3 will be there and keep geting updated. Not sure if they're going to do exclusive game.

Crytek can't make WiiU game because they're totally too busy, the programmers did researched the WiiU dev kits and made one test level. But they can't talk about it because of NDA and if they did talk about it it would be too early because they obviously aren't done with actually getting an idea

ID Software Carmack is in no rush because he also didn't do the research yet, even if he could tell something for certain the NDA is there and he had to completely avoid any talk about next-gen consoles at QuakeCon2012.

Gearbox seems to be more focused on WiiU which would be a clear difference with other consoles, but they as a developer are not known for pushing the hardware not even technologically up to date, don't expect Aliens to be the game that shows all of what WiiU has, far from it.

The CPU is also relieved because the DSP takes all the soundwork.

The term "weak" is invalid. They don't know what the hell are they comparing it to. One of the idiot developers said it's weak because it has 200MHZ less clock. That's beyond stupid.

It could be. But there is something that is making me sceptical. What if WiiU is indeed a very capable machine, but because of the architectural differences a difficult one to be utilized?
Will any third parties give the time and money to port their games if it requires a lot of effort?

Just think how underutilized the Wii (and GameCube) was by the third parties, even though it was capable of better graphics than the average effort. I think the fact that Star Wars which was a launch GC title is so much better looking than most of the Wii games shows that capabilities will remain underutilized if it requires a lot of time and money in order to use any special hardware (like the TEV of the Wii/GC).

So maybe WiiU's CPU is powerful but requires a different approach in order to get better results than Cell or 360's CPU. If WiiU is architecturally different than PS4 and Nextbox in such fashion that it would require a strong effort to port games, once again many third parties will not include the Nintendo console in their multiplatform plans.

As for now, i hope that it is just that the tools for WiiU are not so optimized and that is the reason why some developers have expressed their concerns about the console's CPU power.

Most of the developers that are working on it now have no idea. Their job is to make port.

There are many mouthful of them .... these are mostly who end up being automated by the college (having no previous experience with modding or gaming in general) and they go make silly iphone games and think they know everything.

Just because some guy has a DEV tag doesn't mean he's all that smart, there are so many stupid programmers who have no idea about gaming and they don't even learn how to optimize in assembly. They have a lot ot say though, it's just a big pile of BS people, don't take it seriously, and guy can go an make a few lines of code and thinks he'e holds god's balls, and spreads BS around the industry.

Especially the western developers, they have extreme ego's, you can at least thank From Software it warned multiple times they don't have PC experience (dark souls), but westerners want to sell you BS, they use marketing tricks, they talk BS and then they think they're some kind of proffesionals. If they can't do something or it's frustrating they blame it on nintendo.

Stop taking them seriously, they do this on purpose, it's a marketing strategy, they say something stupid so tons of people discuss it all day and that gest a ton more views and you got your self viral marketing.

So there are these options ..

Either they:
  • - talk BS purposelly for attention
  • - have no idea about tech
  • - out of context teasing that doesn't mean anything
  • - being mad and trying to dump it on nintendo
  • - holding god's balls and saying "im professional"

This is the time when these people have "power", they can say anything they want cause there's no other ones to correct them, because the big guys don't really care to deal with this until they fully research

Take this like a kindergarden - everything they say/do pre-launch.
Elementary school is launch window.
1 year after release is high-school
2 years after launch it's college
3 years after it's actual developer who knows what the hell is he talking about, actual native games.

Why should we take kindergarden-level seriously ? Stop worrying. It can't be weaker than X360 CPU.

I really wonder, what the Wii U will output as audio.

Will you be able to say "Dolby Digital 5.1"/"DTS" only and no TrueHD etc. crap? In the "worst" case it could be PCM surround only.

I also wonder if a HDMI Switcher will work. I own a really great (but "old") surround receiver, sadly no HDMI in. It has only optical (toslink) and coaxial digital in. Which means I will have to get the signal somehow off the HDMI out of the Wii U. It's really sad that they didn't add toslink or coaxial out. And it's also a shame, that most LED/LCD TVs don't offer Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS out and instead output plain stereo on toslink. That's why I can't even pass the signal through my LED-TV.

If you didn't notice, PCM uncompressed means lossless, that is obviously better than any of those other terms, those are all lossy compressions, that's what I know for sure, but I haven't researched that on these since I don't use any of this.
I have audio card in PC and 5.1 sorround set. I don't use any sound setups in living room.

So all your worries aside. Enjoy.

Miiverse won't be tied to the Wii U forever though. It'll be available on PCs and mobile devices eventually so you can check it when you have a few minutes of freetime.

MiiVerse messaging maybe, not the whole feature set.

Wii U should run Wii games in HD.

There is a possiblity of certain first-parties being re-mastered and downloadable through eShop. GCN and Wii.

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda Majora's Mask would be on top of my list.

Majora's Mask would be great fit because to make some diversity so it's not just the same Zelda's being.

If the TV isn't in game or PC mode, it's gonna lag a bit for any game input. Putting it in the proper mode should resolve this. Really irrelevant anyway since one can't look at both the tablet and TV simultaneously.

GameMode only reduces latency by 40-50%. Most cheap have 80-120, better ones have 60-80. That still leaves you with about 40ms latency in best case scenario which is still a lot.

I guess I didn't over-exaggerate enough to make it clear I was joking.

I'm not interested in joking when I'm sleepy, however I do have above normal sense of humor, there's 2 guys in the world I spent laughing to 60% of my life, that's adam savage and pablo francisco.

I'm hoping the reports of calibration issues stem from them being demos in a somewhat uncontrolled environment. Tons of people passing controllers back and forth, probably some people starting mid-game, etc. In a living room in a normal setting, I'm sure it will be at least as manageable as a Motion Plus if not better.

I'm more concerned about possible signal issues with the gamepad screen, as it "working perfectly" seems to be taken for granted so far. These demos have the signal going through wires, don't they? What happens wirelessly if you're 15 feet away? 30 feet away? 100 feet away? When you lose signal quality, does resolution suffer? Or does it prompt the home menu if it's not perfect signal strength? Will it start lagging either over time or when far away? Or (worst case) could it cause a crash if there's a communication problem or the battery dies? Can any devices potentially cause interference? Etc.

I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't bank on that feature so hard if there was any doubt, but that's what makes me most curious.

Here you go:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41490721&postcount=818

Calibration for the GamePad motion probably won't be neccessary as much since it uses geomagnetic sensor which makes it more accurate and pretty much instantly knows where it is (atleast that's what i heard from PS move) , so calibration may go away.

When I play MK9, Sould Calibur 4 or Halo, I barely even notice lag. I only notice it if I smack my stick and pay attention. Supposedly the Xbox 360 has a lag of about 133ms vs the Wii U's 116. It shouldn't be THAT bad.

It's not the consoles, it's the TV. You don't notice it because your a mainstream console gamer. Experienced players tell the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS, as well as notice latency quickly, when PC LCDs came out stuff like 32ms latency was HUGE for any type of FPS game, 16ms also huge, then it got down to 8 is still noticable and 4ms was acceptable, I bought my self one with 2ms, lowest possible at the time, it was made specifically for gaming, it was Samsung SyncMaster 940BF ... too bad samsung is a pile of shit now for gaming.

100ms is trainwreck, HDTVs simply aren't meant for fast moving screens and FPS gaming. HDTVs are made to increase screen quality, and all those stuff for movies, that's the market. But that doesn't mean latency has to suffer.
There is a reason why we blame the firmware developers mercilessly, they suck at programming, they don't put effort in it, stupid management:

John Carmack Explains why HDTVs have so much lag:
And then the other thing that happens, if it comes from sort of a consumer TV heritage, is - it's the bane of the gaming industry - all the consumer TVs buffer, add latency for features. They go, 'we want to be able to take different resolutions, we want to take different 3D formats, we want to do motion interpolation, we want to do deblocking and content protection'. And in theory all of these can be combined into one massive, streaming pipeline on there that doesn't add much latency. But realistically, the way they get it developed is they say, 'OK, you did HDCP, you did 3D format conversion, you did this,' and there's a buffer in between each one. Some TVs offer a gaming mode that cuts some of that down but even there it's still...

But the X360 controller maybe it self has lag, don't know, I don't use X360 so i don't do any research on that, all I know is the bad stuff, Kinect had so much lag Carmack stopped working with it almost immediately, this was in 2011 when he started talking about HMDs

Or maybe as how I understand it the command is done when you depress it, or what he meant with trigger?

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/233240260568551425

Precise lag numbers depend on the game. The lowest you can get on PS360 is about 50ms.

That's ridicolous, your sources ?

I'd use it over a HDD depending on a USB 2.0 port.

SD Cards are the last

Got any info on access/seek speeds and transfer ?

Too many modern games have 'mushy' mechanics since they all have to shoehorn in online multiplayer. Try playing any old platformer with 133 ms of lag, you'll notice.

Better yet, try to play Punch Out! on NES, would be WAY harder.

And the Wii U itself doesn't have lag, TVs at trade shows are all set to default and introduce a ton of input lag. It's embarrassing that any modern electronics perform so terribly, no matter the setting. I had to switch TVs into game mode myself when showing a game off, way too many people are clueless about it.

Indeed

Hmmm, yeah looking at some benchmarks, seems only the very very expensive SDXC cards will get you above 45MB/s read and 30MB/s write.
Although as long as it can match an average external HDD then I'll be happy I think...
Thanks for the info btw.

Not really the news I was hoping for.

So the dev kits would have some kind of special ones for developers only, i hope they don't cut down on this for retail.

Wii U needs a repeater to extend the range of its streaming capability. If it can be done for wifi, wouldn't it be feasible for whatever technology they use?

Don't worry, people will try to mod custom external antennas on to extend the range, hopefully it works and that the system won't even know the antenna is different

If nintendo would have been more serious about this they would have made an ext antenna port for people to buy separately (not boundled) and experiment with that if they want.

Seems like some of the console casing designers are willing to sacrifice functionality for a clean design, I don't care if antennas stick out.

I have a feeling latency would be an issue there. But I could be wrong.

As I explained in my followup post to the range "rumor", the connection systems are probably designed to cut off the connection completely when the validator is not met, the validator has fairly strict signal accepance range, it's probably quite high up there, not sure exactly if this relates to actual signal strength but I belive it's not below 50%. When you get out of this signal acceptance range the controller will not degrade anything, it won't work like an analog TV, the contoller will disconnect completely. Either it works or it doesnt, nothing in between.

Nintendo of America naturally doesn't reveal info about EU launch details.

That's Nintendo of Europe's business. That said, and people prepare yourselves, NoE will NOT announce a price for the Wii U because they don't do that anymore! They're gonna go with the same ol' "retailers set the price" spiel like they did with all the other recent system launches.

So don't any of you go nuts because you didn't see that coming! There'll be a launch date from NoE and that's it. The price is gonna be the US-price with a € instead of a $, as always (with an unpredictable price in the UK, naturally).

I won't buy it if it's 350€. Simple as that. I won't buy it at all if it's not 300€ or below, now let's see if their retailers are so smart as they think they are.

This is out of protest since 300€ is already more than $

Do you guys think there will be any benefits to playing Wii games on a Wii U? Since it has HDMI out, I would think it would at least have some kind of up-scaling. Unless playing playing Wii games doesn't work through HDMI at all.

HDMI has nothing to do with up-scaling or Wii games.

I'm confident that Retro is working on a new IP. Most rumors I've seen from people supposedly with connections in the industry said that Retro's game is geared more toward the Xbox/PS3 crowd, and that description doesn't fit any of Nintendo's franchises really.

My hunch is that it's a 3rd person game. Shooter, I doubt it (though it may have shooting mechanics) but I'm guessing it's third-person adventure.

That's the kind of game I don't want to play at all. Hopefully this is all false.

The rumor about Retro having problems with staff may be that as usual westerners keep whining about the games they develop, all those staffers are really hard to persuade what's good and bad, without the nintendo direction and supervision (which is really strict) and without all the music by nintendok, metroid primes would totally suck. They would have turned the game to some X360 modern warfail/GOW3 POS.

Did I ever told the story (lol) that I just about never cared about the ridicolous stories in call of duties and all the other favourites that I played, and pretty much all games, I don't care about the middle east vs usa BS. The real story is that tons of these weapons just need to be spent once a while, plus getting some more oil always help, I don't buy games to get a fix of some diluted biased information. Ofcourse as growing up I completely stopped playing and ignore those kinds of "games".

Games are getting to focused on story and characters, they aren't games anymore, they are interactive movies.

Retro's talents lie in doing amazing things with short amounts of time and creating worlds.

As a result of exhaustion with sleeping in offices at crunch time, 3 key developers left the company after Corruption.

Where's the talent now?

But don't mix this with:
Most of the mass-production staff (those that actually do textures, models, materials) changed every game, that's standardindustry practise, they don't have anything to do for at least a year so these people are let go, since all the pre production takes programming work nobody's going to stay and wait that long, unless the developer has other projects, those people find job elsewhere.

I got into the Wii U experience in LA. I've never gotten to go to anything like this. Nobody will give me a hard time if I bring a camcorder, right? I want to film interviews for my site.

PLEASE

Film the damn controller back side so we can see what's written on, maybe some info about batter or something, then film the LCD up close so we can see all the pixels to count them!!!

Take the best camera you have, and if video quality is crap the use just a photo and MAKE SURE you set it to super-max super-fine or whatever those terms are in (many cameras have 2 settings, one is resolution the other is i don't remember how it's called)

i swear to god bethesda makes some fucking hideous looking games god damn.

I have to concur

No it's not, Dev's would trade volume for speed any day.

At most, high speed RAM will only give you a couple of frames per second extra, whereas running out of RAM will collapse your frame rate.

If Nintendo asked the Dev's..4GB of exotic or 8Gb of standard?, 9 out 10 would take the latter.

Indeed

With engines like IDTech5 the RAM amoutn is really important, Rage was the first game where everything is unique instead of same texture pattern being repeated, with 25GB it was still massively compressed with combination of different premium tools.

Expect Doom4 to look a lot better on WiiU (if it gets there) than X360/PS3. Simply because of much more RAM available, without counting all the other benefits.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wowowow Nibel, you calm down. Realistic Zelda would be great, IF by realistic we mean realistic lighting, shaders, textures etc. - see, they can still keep the artstyle and creative direction, but keep it looking believable.

But that's not realistic either, that's just better graphics tech overall. That has nothing to do with the art style, really.

Stewox

Banned
I just thought of something:

Now there are 2 sensor bars, one on the TV and one on the GamePad, can't we assume the tracking system will be deeper, closer to what we have with the Move?

For instance in the Golf Demo, the GamePad is lying on the ground and allows for a higher level of precision on where you will exactly "touch" the ball.

This enhanced spatial recognition could be applied in more games that use motion as their primary input.

Sensor bar is not a sensor. It's an IR LED for WiiMote. Nothing else.

The increased accuracy of motion as well as more axis will be thanks to geomagnetic sensor. Which AFAIK will also make the calibration go away, the system would keep updating it self real-time.

RedSwirl

The most "realistic" I would ever want Zelda to look would probably resemble the works of Kentaro Miura, or better yet the old official art from Katsuya Terada.

If I could get this, with the exact same color saturation shown here, it would at least look like a badass comic book or something:

s7gPQ.jpg

If I could fight enemies that looked like this it'd be pretty cool too:

JODWd.jpg

There's nothing wrong with, if by realism you mean looking physically feasible, as in everything moves like it should, and to a degree looks like it "should", then that's fine.

I think when we hear "realism" we instantly think; brown, bloom, boring game mechanics to try and fix a "realistic" feel (i.e. tediously slow pace of movement, health/damage system that negatively impacts gameplay)

I have to agree that any changes in the direction of a WRPG would be catastrophic for Zelda. That includes all these calls for an "open world," because I know what that really means in terms of design.

I'll have to agree with this. Let's look at probably the most popular recent WRPG, Skyrim. Huge, interesting open world, but you go inside a dungeon, and it's pure cookie cutter stuff. Loot samey chests, kill lots of enemies, maybeeee pull a lever or two if it's a mainline dungeon. The essence of Zelda is the dungeons, the open world is just a method of connecting these. Give us 6 floor dungeons, massive, sprawling, creepy caves and dungeons to get lost in for hours on end.

One aspect of realism I'd like to see; take the opening scene from A Link To The Past for example. It's a rainy, stormy night, and the first item you get is a torch to light your path. Imagine this fully realised with the technology of the Wii U, having to actually light your way through absolute darkness as you tried to find your way to the castle/dungeon.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
But still all you're wii games will be playable with any WiiMote.
There's a reason why Wii U has so many local multiplayer games at launch: studios expect people to use their existing wiimotes. They will work for Wii U games too. The Nintendo representative probably meant classic controllers when he talked about uncompability.

There's a reason why Wii U has so many local multiplayer games at launch: studios expect people to use their existing wiimotes. They will work for Wii U games too. The Nintendo representative probably meant classic controllers when he talked about uncompability.

This will be such a boon! I remember back when the Wii launched I didn't have half the controllers, and so you'd have to either make do without or have friends bring their own over. With the Wii U, I'll be able to play 5 player out of the box, as I've amassed a wealth of Wiimotes, nunchucks and classics over the years.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Odd question, probably hasn't even been addressed by Nintendo since it's kind of a minor thing.

Can the Pro-Controller be used in place of a classic controller when playing Wii games?

Stewox

Banned
Damn I got unlucky of posting it just as it moved to the new page.

Reported as a chinese wall of text:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41566011&postcount=1795

Odd question, probably hasn't even been addressed by Nintendo since it's kind of a minor thing.

Can the Pro-Controller be used in place of a classic controller when playing Wii games?

Probably not

Wii games would need to support it, they wouldn't detect it, there is a possibility the hardware supports the backward mode (firmware BC) so the software could detect it but that's not guaranteed.

Anyone recognizes what he says at the very end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxVV6kx4DgI

Worry about what ?

He's not worried about what their competitors are going to do; he'll let them worry about what Nintendo is doing.

Was thinking of getting somthing like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006YAOQKA/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=58x75&qid=1346331841&sr=8-2

Providing I get some confirmation it can take large SD cards without issue. That'll be me sorted for storage, don't foresee needing more than 128GB

I'd probably just get an external hard drive unless you really need the portability. And even in that case, I'd get an external hard drive and a small SD card.

The_Lump

Banned
I'd probably just get an external hard drive unless you really need the portability. And even in that case, I'd get an external hard drive and a small SD card.

My issue is that I don't want a hdd sat in my lounge :D Was discussing earlier how a massive SD card might be a solution, but finding one that had equivalent performance (and not at an astronomical price) is difficult. Not to mention whether WiiU will accept the larger SD cards.

My issue is that I don't want a hdd sat in my lounge :D Was discussing earlier how a massive SD card might be a solution, but finding one that had equivalent performance (and not at an astronomical price) is difficult. Not to mention whether WiiU will accept the larger SD cards.

Portable hard drives can be very small, and don't have to be visible at all - just tuck it away somewhere if you don't want to see it. It's just, like you say, big SD cards are very expensive, are variable in performance, and aren't very reliable for continuous use. I'm pretty sure the Wii U will support SDXC cards though, as the 3DS does already.

Culex

Banned
Chû Totoro;41566799 said:
Can't access from work :(

Any very interesting parts or tidbits you could quote? (it's ok for NeoGAF to do this, isn't it?)

Article confirms 1 GB of usable RAM for games.

The meat.

CPU: The Wii U's IBM-made CPU is made up of three Power PC cores. We've been unable to ascertain the clock speed of the CPU (more on this later), but we know out of order execution is supported.
RAM in the final retail unit: 1GB of RAM is available to games.
GPU: The Wii U's graphics processing unit is a custom AMD 7 series GPU. Clock speed and pipelines were not disclosed, but we do know it supports DirectX 10 and shader 4 type features. We also know that eDRAM is embedded in the GPU custom chip in a similar way to the Wii.
"It's comparable to the current generation and a bit more powerful than that.

Woffls

I'm really liking Nash's philosophy on game platforms in that EG article. Definitely a good fit for Nintendo's approach of making games around a system rather than making what you want and retrofitting it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The meat.

CPU: The Wii U's IBM-made CPU is made up of three Power PC cores. We've been unable to ascertain the clock speed of the CPU (more on this later), but we know out of order execution is supported.
RAM in the final retail unit: 1GB of RAM is available to games.
GPU: The Wii U's graphics processing unit is a custom AMD 7 series GPU. Clock speed and pipelines were not disclosed, but we do know it supports DirectX 10 and shader 4 type features. We also know that eDRAM is embedded in the GPU custom chip in a similar way to the Wii.
"It's comparable to the current generation and a bit more powerful than that.
The GPU is from the 7000 series yet only has DX10 fuctions? Isn't that a contradiction?

From someone who's not a technophile, explain? :)

the writer would have as much info as the speculation threads that has been going on for over a year some of these points have been beaten down to death but for someone to come out and write down things like facts without a source is just not something you can trust or even worth reading

the writer would have as much info as the speculation threads that has been going on for over a year some of these points have been beaten down to death but for someone to come out and write down things like facts without a source is just not something you can trust or even worth reading

Oh so none of this is true? Fuck's sake man. I am so tired of these baseless facts. It's like before the 3DS came out and we were told it had that Nvidia chip that could produce Xbox 360 like graphics (that may have been referring to the shader/lighting tech, but it made it sound a lot better than it was, if you remember).

Thing is, I can't remember Nintendo ever explicitly revealing tech information, and since nobody knows exactly what a machine can or can't do even when it's been released, I foresee these tech debates going on for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom