• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

they both required additional development on Nintendo's part to utilize features specific to the system.

Do you think it would be justifiable on Sony's part to charge for the same ps1 classic on psp, ps3, vita, and ps4? I don't think it would be justifiable, and neither would most people.

These are poor analogies. The 3D Classics take a lot more work, and obviously weren't sustainable/profitable enough for them to continue. Nintendo's clearly dropped them.

3D remasters don't take more work than HD remasters. Both are reprogramming the game to a different hardware spec. That's not the case with emulation.

To the people talking about emulators. Nintendo already have one. Unless they did bad management of the source code the emulators they used on Gamecube, GBA, Wii and 3DS should port to Wii U quickly.

The frontend stuff will take time though (see how much the ambassador NES games changed to retail plus how long it took) even if some of it is done once, done 100 times kind of things.

That said the N64 emulator did get changed when ported to Wii.

No, it's some Yoshi puzzle game that's already on the Wii Shop Channel.
To make it more confusing there is more than 1 Yoshi puzzle game out there. The other one is called Yoshi's Cookie.

Yoshi also goes under the name Mario & Yoshi.

BillyBats

Banned
Do the vc games have online leaderboards? Why does it take so long for them to get the games out? I remember that site years ago, that since shutdown but was awesome when it came out, where you paid ten bucks a month and you could play Neo Geo games, genesis, arcade, pc games etc. They had leaderboards and chatrooms for all those games. They even had contests where you could win tokens to buy real life doo dads. And this was like 4 years ago. Damn, what was the name of that site?!!!!

if the Vita version suddenly added touch controls and/or tilt support, sure

Well the Vita "version" suddenly did add touch controls. In addition to other features like virtual memory cards, graphics smoothing, and custom aspect ratios.

Eusis

what? it's the same principle
Not quite, a few features but nothing too big outside of second screen, and that sounds easy enough to implement. It really is more like the Plus charge on iTunes if anything, you pay a fraction of the original cost, and get an upgraded version of that song, but if you don't have a fine ear the bigger deal is being DRM free. Similar, here you're paying $1 to get off screen play.

3D classics, at most, would be a half off discount for owning the original game. Sort of like that Doom 3 BFG release, 3D was even literally a key feature on PC.

Well the Vita "version" suddenly did add touch controls. In addition to other features like virtual memory cards, graphics smoothing, and custom aspect ratios.

great for Sony, then. but the games being free is a fantastic bonus; that doesn't make it expected. Sony would have been justified in charging.

Eusis said:
Not quite, a few features but nothing too big outside of second screen, and that sounds easy enough to implement. It really is more like the Plus charge on iTunes if anything, you pay a fraction of the original cost, and get an upgraded version of that song, but if you don't have a fine ear the bigger deal is being DRM free. Similar, here you're paying $1 to get off screen play.

3D classics, at most, would be a half off discount for owning the original game. Sort of like that Doom 3 BFG release, 3D was even literally a key feature on PC.

well that's my point. these are extra features you wouldn't have had buying the Wii VC's version; buying that one doesn't entitle you to the extra features present in future releases. i'm lumping in 3D support with "extra features"

The virtual console is the only reason to purchase a WiiU at this point in its lifecycle...barely.

more interested in the N64 and gamecube games though.

great for Sony, then. but the games being free is a fantastic bonus; that doesn't make it expected. Sony would have been justified in charging.

well that's my point. these are extra features you wouldn't have had buying the Wii VC's version; buying that one doesn't entitle you to the extra features present in future releases. i'm lumping in 3D support with "extra features"

Those extra features are actually just Wii U features. The system that nintendo already charges $300 for. And the game being the same exact ROM dump you already bought through the VC.

This isn't about nintendo giving away all the VC games for free to Wii U users. It's about letting them play the VC games they already bought on their new system. No entitlement here.

Those extra features are actually just Wii U features. The system that nintendo already charges $300 for. And the game being the same exact ROM dump you already bought through the VC.

This isn't about nintendo giving away all the VC games for free to Wii U users. It's about letting them play the VC games they already bought on their new system. No entitlement here.

is that why every single Wii U game supports off-screen play? oh wait. it cost them money to implement that feature, so to expect to just get that for free is EXTREMELY entitled. you don't just plug a ROM into the Wii U and it magically works on the gamepad. Miiverse integration i'm not sure about. the only thing i picture is their creating a page for the game, though if they make messages pop up in game that's another feature, too.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah I don't see why paying a dollar to get additional gamepad play support is a big deal. It makes sense to me. It's a more reasonable option that I would've expected from Nintendo's online service history, honestly.

is that why every single Wii U game supports off-screen play? oh wait. it cost them money to implement that feature, so to expect to just get that for free is EXTREMELY entitled. you don't just plug a ROM into the Wii U and it magically works on the gamepad. Miiverse integration i'm not sure about. the only thing i picture is their creating a page for the game, though if they make messages pop up in game that's another feature, too.

No? Some games can't have off screen play for obvious reasons. It's a feature that can be disabled, but it's still a system wide feature.

All the console is doing is instead of feeding the signal to a TV, it sends it off wirelessly to the gamepad screen. What difference does it make to whatever game is running on the console? I'm not seeing this reprogramming that has to be done for every title.

if the Vita version suddenly added touch controls and/or tilt support, sure

But PS1 games let you change the controls on every device. For free. Why in the blue blazes is that something that costs MONEY? That's a feature built into the emulator NOT the ROM. That's asinine to charge for that.

Eusis

3D, for 2D games anyways, is in another ballpark entirely. That's why the + comparison is best, I really doubt it was that hard to convert everything over from higher quality .wav files or whatever Apple had been provided, and stripping DRM's probably even simpler. 3D, like a good HD conversion, would require extra work, and thus require more money to justify. But this is kind of pedantic, the charge is in line with the effort reasonably enough (and this is more for adding controller options and manual save states), it's not like we had to pay $2.50 for NES games and $4 for SNES.

... And now that I thinka bout it, I really hope Tecmo Koei gets all their games converted. Namely NG1. I can defuck the difficulty of that one from "mother fucking assholes made this game" to merely "brutal" and actually beat it.

Game Guru

The titles listed are promotional titles. They're not the full list. We're going to receive probably around 10 NES and 10 SNES titles at launch, with (hopefully) a steady stream of releases afterwards. I will eat my non-existent hat if Super Mario World, Zelda 1, and Metroid aren't available VC launch. Also, it'll only cost you 60 cents to update Kirby and Super Metroid, since they're a part of the promotion.

Oh, that's pretty cool then. But yeah, there are a number of awesome games I own that I would be glad to update since I was rather picky with the games I bought on my Wii, mostly consisting of the Mario games, the Kirby games, the Castlevania games, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and a random sampling of others. I would really only replace my copies of the NES Mega Man games, the NES and N64 Zelda games, and the Genesis Sonic games because of still having the GameCube collections of those and GameCube games not working on Wii U.

No? Some games can't have off screen play for obvious reasons. It's a feature that can be disabled, but it's still a system wide feature.

All the console is doing is instead of feeding the signal to a TV, it sends it off wirelessly to the gamepad screen. What difference does it make to whatever game is running on the console? I'm not seeing this reprogramming that has to be done for every title.

the fact is that neither of us truly knows how this works, so i'm going to be the one assuming that nintendo isn't lying to me

DjRoomba

Banned

the fact is that neither of us truly knows how this works, so i'm going to be the one assuming that nintendo isn't lying to me

Its two seperate running feeds I think, cos Ive seen shit stutter on the gamepad (very rarely) and not on screen

hongcha

OS upgrades and refinements take far more time and money to do than the Wii U emulating nes and snes games. As these also add new features, it sounds like many nintendo apologists in this thread would happily pay a buck for each firmware upgrade too, while people used to other, more consumer-friendly business models, would think that is crazy. This is precisely why we think it is crazy to charge people again to play their vc games on their wii u gamepad.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I can't believe they're rolling out many of the same old VC games again like with the Wii. There's no way I'll be sitting around waiting for these to hit the shop like before AND pay more money to do so.

Wow at anyone thinking Nntendo is likely to launch 10 NES AND 10 SNES games when the service launches. Do they even have 10 SNES published games when you remove the two that are part of the promotion, DKC 1-3 & Sim City? You will be lucky to get one of either a week, including the launch week. And I wouldn't put any stock into a good amount of third party games.

I'm surprised no one caught it, but the VC service launches in April. Iwata said in the ND that the titles launching before April would be out before the official launch of the VC. (Which still makes no sense. The VC counts as launched as soon as they put Balloon Fight up.)

Is it sad that I can't afford Balloon Fight? :lol Only have two cents on the eShop. Will have more money in the next few days but I wanna playtest it myself now. :(

Ranger X

That sure look and sound mediocre.

Discount? lol.
One game a month AT THE START? lol.

I've been following and supporting the VC last time but if there's no drastic improvement, they can forget about my money.

also

Banned
It's not one game per month.
It's one promotional game (30 cents) per month until July + regular releases beginning in April.

Off screen play is built right into the system. I can assure you those games don't need that feature "added" to them. You get the ROM running on the Wii U, and that means you've got off screen play. It's that simple.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm hoping that this Famicom 30th anniversary paves the way for more Nintendo digital sales events. I'm not even asking for 30 cents again.. Just seeing more lesser titles at $1-3 would encourage me to load up on them at sale time. As opposed to now, when I basically don't buy any VC games. $4+ is a barrier.

Eusis

Its two seperate running feeds I think, cos Ive seen shit stutter on the gamepad (very rarely) and not on screen
It's a wireless signal, that'll happen.

And has Nintendo even said ANYTHING on why they're doing the charge? I can see that being the kind of thing you just assume is common sense and charge to, and even if they offered a vague "for the extra functionality" there was more added than just off screen play anyway. They even could've worked to iron out any remaining kinks in emulating older systems that were still there on VC.

I largely skipped VC stuff on the Wii. The only VC titles I have are the few that have been free through Club Nintendo.

The discount thing is OK. I wish this would have been handled better though. A big VC relaunch could have added stuff like Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube games. I'm interested in a lot of the NeoGeo titles--hopefully those become available at some point in time.

Edit: The 30-cents thing is awesome though. I'm going to buy the shit out of all of those.
Edit 2: Especially Super Metroid. That's an outstanding deal.

I'm hoping that this Famicom 30th anniversary paves the way for more Nintendo digital sales events. I'm not even asking for 30 cents again.. Just seeing more lesser titles at $1-3 would encourage me to load up on them at sale time. As opposed to now, when I basically don't buy any VC games. $4+ is a barrier.

Honestly, I suspect Nintendo believed this little sale would act as a pseudo "ambassador program", where you have to buy the console now to take advantage of these crazy deals!

Yes, that sounds ridiculous, but I firmly believe that's how Nintendo thinks.

Darknight

The Japan UMD transfer program.

Very obscure reference, since it is related to the Vita ;)

Vita and PSP can play most PSX/Minis(PSP for Vita) at no extra charge if purchased on a PS3. Not the same and Sony has handled their retro offerings across systems (PS3/PSP/Vita) better than Nintendo.

jimi_dini

it sounds like many nintendo apologists in this thread would happily pay a buck for each firmware upgrade too

No no
don't give Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft any ideas.

Didn't even Sony add RemotePlay for some PS3 titles and all (?) PS1 titles via firmware update? They should have charged for that. Not even for the ability, but for every title that anyone uses it on. That's the way to make money. And the Virtual surround sound support for wireless headsets, should have charged for that as well - maybe also for every single title too. And the 3D support. And the DTS MA/HR decoding support as well.

Also - it's a bit stupid to announce this now. Shouldn't they announce such things after they sold their 5.5 million Wii Us till april? They should better announce that current Wii U buyers will get "updated" Wii virtual console games now for free and that they will start charging for updates in 2 months. Would anyone interested in buying Wii U now like to hear about paying again for his/her games just to play them on the pad?

They will probably rather think: Hmm buying it now would mean paying another 20$ just to be able to play my games - so maybe I should wait for an additional price drop of 20$.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Honestly, I suspect Nintendo believed this little sale would act as a pseudo "ambassador program", where you have to buy the console now to take advantage of these crazy deals!

Yes, that sounds ridiculous, but I firmly believe that's how Nintendo thinks.
I was thinking the same thing actually. Like they wanted to combat the bad launch impressions the same way they did last time, but they said "surely we can't give them away for free again, that's bad precedent! How about 30 cents?"

But I'm hoping that the high volume of people who buy at 30 will encourage them to experiment with pricing.

Like I would never, ever buy StarTropics at $3.99+ (it's old and I have the cart), but $1.99? I'll buy more than I ever did.

serplux

Wow at anyone thinking Nntendo is likely to launch 10 NES AND 10 SNES games when the service launches. Do they even have 10 SNES published games when you remove the two that are part of the promotion, DKC 1-3 & Sim City? You will be lucky to get one of either a week, including the launch week. And I wouldn't put any stock into a good amount of third party games.

I'm surprised no one caught it, but the VC service launches in April. Iwata said in the ND that the titles launching before April would be out before the official launch of the VC. (Which still makes no sense. The VC counts as launched as soon as they put Balloon Fight up.)

Is it sad that I can't afford Balloon Fight? :lol Only have two cents on the eShop. Will have more money in the next few days but I wanna playtest it myself now. :(

Lol, I admit I'm being a bit optimistic when I say that it'll launch with that many games, since this is Nintendo we're talking about. But they don't have to write an emulator from scratch this time, and they seem apologetic at this stage, so I'm sure they'll want to get the VC off to a good start.

Edit: They launched the VC with 7 NES titles and 2 SNES titles in the US. I'm sure they could bump it up to 10 NES and 5 SNES.

Cjkorea

Playing these games on the gamepad is going to be a blast. I don't mind the $1- $1.50 price for the ability to do that. How are they going to handle wiiware though? Hopefully not much more money. Cave story, La Mulana, Mega Man 9, 10, World of Goo etc... on the gamepad will be excellent.

Kandinsky

It's a Wii U so don't forget it had backwards compatibility.

Don't want to re-purchase? Then fine, continue playing your VC game on the Wii U in Wii mode, just as you always did.

Wanna play VC games on Wii U Gamepad with Miiverse functionality then pay the upgrade price.

This really, I dont get what are people upset about o_O

It's too bad the PS1 library is not really to my tastes, because Sony has completely shamed Nintendo in handling their version of Virtual Console.

Well, I never bought any NES or SNES games on Virtual Console anyway, since I have a physical library.

Still, it's pretty poor form, both in selling the games separately (3DS) and having an upgrade fee (Wii U).

olimpia84

Wait a sec, if you buy Ballon Fight for 30 cents do you get to keep it for that price after the 3o day trial period or do have to pay an additional fee after that?

GulAtiCa

With VC games coming soon (other then the few before the official launch that is), I wonder if Wii U will get folders by then.

amaron11

Banned
Wait a sec, if you buy Ballon Fight for 30 cents do you get to keep it for that price after the 3o day trial period or do have to pay an additional fee after that?

No.

"* After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change."

Top Bottom